As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Foodening - PAX Foodie Destinations

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    ransim wrote: »
    Seattle isn't really a taxi city, though there are plenty around. Seattle Metro is kind of a joke. They usually aren't on time and do not attract the best element.

However you shouldn't have too much of a wait if you focus on things in the 0.5-1 mile range. Anything within 2-3 blocks of the WSCTC will be thronged.

o_O Wasn't the experience I had with the Seattle buses...

But again my comparison would be the DC Metro which is lulz at the best of times.

Yeah well, I lived around Seattle for over two decades. I've seen the Metro there at its worst. However I don't doubt that DC Metro is bleh. I've only had to ride it a few times to figure out what it must be like at the worst of times.

So you're saying Seattle's bus service is bad compared to..what? Seattle actually has pretty good bus service compared to most large cities, you just don't have the experience with other bus systems to realize it.
    My frame of reference is the public transit provided by Seattle Metro's northern neighbor Community Transit which is cleaner, less crowded, and more frequently on time. Some of their buses are actually almost comfortable, even if they seem to crash more often (I personally was in two CT buses that crashed... fun times).

Also you can get off your high horse about the whole thing, as can everybody else whose experience with Seattle Metro is limited to a week or so a year. I have ridden many different lines over many decades, some years 5+ days a week, as have my parents, grandparents, and extended family since there ever was a Seattle Metro.

So you're comparing inner city, urban transit with suburban transit that serves predominantly middle and upper class communities. Gee, I wonder why Sound Community has nicer, cleaner buses? Again, you don't know what you're talking about. For urban transit, King County Metro is good compared to a lot of other urban transit. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, tell the guy with years of first hand experience and generations of second hand experience he doesn't know what he's talking about because he doesn't agree with you.

It's about standards. There is no reason why urban transit cannot meet suburban standards aside from systemic apathy. You want to accept mediocrity you go right ahead. It's this acceptance that gives such institutions no motivation for change.

Furthermore you simply don't know how bad Metro can get. Get on the 325 northbound from downtown at peak afternoon/evening during the high summer and tell me how great Metro is. Oh, you haven't done that and have no frame of reference? Shocking, but of course I don't know what I'm talking about.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2010
    I don't know how bad metro can get? I live in the fucking city. I deal with metro every day. I'm guessing you live in the burbs so you expect your bus service to blow lilac scented water up your ass as you ride to work. And you're just proving my point that you don't have any other urban bus system to compare it to. Instead you're comparing it to a suburban bus system that primarily serves middle and upper class communities. I any major urban center you're going to have a much broader mix of people riding the bus including a lot of homeless because there are always more homeless in major urban centers than in suburbs.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I lived at 5th and Yesler at one time back when that was apartments (can't remember the number, but there's only one residential building there, south side of the overpass, so the location is unambiguous). I used to regularly bus in and out of Pioneer Square, Downtown, Capitol Hill, U District, and Madison Park among other places. Where do you live 'in the fucking city' and for how long? And you still haven't said whether you've been on the 325 northbound at peak in the high summer. I still doubt that.

As I've already said, you have low expectations, and you see those expectations met. Congratulations, you're part of the problem.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2010
    And you're completely missing the point that you're comparing an urban, inner city bus system to your well funded, suburban bus system that serves Microsoft employees.

For those of you visiting from other major urban centers, ignore Turtle. Our bus system is fine and you're already accustomed to inner city transit.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, in the interest of getting back on the topic of food rather than how awesome/notawesome seattle transportation is, - What's everyone's thoughts on the Elysium brews? anyone have a favorite? I'm definitely going to visit them this year but I'm not sure if i'll be able to try all of their beers in one sitting, so I want to get their very best :)

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
    edited May 2010
    I really like their Immortal IPA, but it's a matter of taste. If you don't like IPAs then of course that wouldn't interest you. :)

I also love their Avatar Jasmine IPA, but my opinion on it is hardly universal. Also if you can make it up to Ballard, I recommend the Jolly Roger Taproom which is the brewpub for Maritime Pacific Brewing and they have some great beers as well as some good food. If you make it there, be sure to ask what beers are on nitrogen taps at the time!

beer list: http://maritimebrewery.ypguides.net/page/nun9/Brewers_List.html

menu (changes every couple of weeks or so): http://maritimebrewery.ypguides.net/page/nun8/Chefs_List.html

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I agree with Druhim, I ride metro all the time because I have a free bus pass. Whenever I go to another city the mass transit gives me a headache.
    Metro is often on time give or take 5min or if theres a huge accident somewhere, and the busses are clean unless you are ultra stuck up and have some skewed version of clean for a transit system.

Except boston, subways rule.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, Boston does have a solid transit system.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Guys, this isn't the transit system thread.

On that note, if somebody wants to create a mass transit thread, feel free, just keep it civil.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Solid_SteveSolid_Steve Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As far as food in Seattle is concerned, my money's on Piroshky, Piroshky, in Pike Place. They craft and sell the eponymous treats: Piroshkis. They're little Russian baked thingies that are seriously delicious. My favourite is the salmon pâté piroshky.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=piroshky+piroshky&fb=1&gl=us&hq=piroshky+piroshky&cid=1980928055431499542&pcsi=1980928055431499542,1&ei=uNX-S9rmM4X6NYH7sP8H&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQnQIwAA
    http://www.piroshkybakery.com/

Solid_Steve on
    Along the shore the cloud waves break,
    The twin suns sink beneath the lake,
    The shadows lengthen
    In Carcosa.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How far is Bizzarro Italian Cafe from the PAX venue? Saw this place on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and it looks tasty. Any locals care to comment?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited May 2010
    it's not close to downtown but you could take a bus there if you wanted to
    food is pretty good, quirky atmosphere, but I don't know that I'd recommend a friend go out of their way for it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Before I launch into reviews, I want to thank mrt144 for taking care of the distinguishably good joints in town for non-locals, and to heartily endorse plans to meet-up for pre-PAX epicurean eats!

Also, MrDoctorProfessor, I visited Armandino's right after I saw that episode, and it was as wonderful as I thought it would be. Their sandwiches are hefty and so succulent, and they do give out salumi samples when the line builds (which is every day; though my luck in missing them seems to be an outlier). ;)

Oki! So, eateries...

The Crumpet Shop/.6 miles/British-style Bakery & Cafe/$
    A popular stop in the Pike Place area, they're known for their housemade English crumpets. They have an assortment of toppings, whether sweet (nutella, almond butter, gooseberry jam); savoury (black ham, ricotta and pesto); or somewhere in-between (marmite!). They also have sandwiches, soups, and unlimited refills on tea and drip (even if you had espresso).

Umi Sake House/.8 miles/Japanese/$$-$$$
    Let it be said that I never skimp on my sushi! This place has proven its worth to me time and time again. Their items are so unique, yet one must never question their deliciousness, for you will be struck down for your insolence when you gorge on monkfish liver, a Yellow Fever and grapefruit margarita! Hearty rolls and a superb selection of sakes. Everything here is flavourful and never boring. Also, late-night happy hour FTW!

Nijo Sushi/1.2 miles/Japanese/$$
    Though a bit more simplistic than Umi's, Nijo's take on traditional dishes preserves the twist with a different flare. Along with a consistently low-key friendly staff, they have one of best Happy Hours you'll find. I went here with a big group of PAXers in '08, and they took care of us. Stiff drinks, quality fish, good people.

Juice It/0 miles/Healthy Deli, Juice Bar/$
    This place is in the convention center and easy to miss. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until I saw a fellow Enforcer last year with a bowl of tasty greens and asked, "When did you find time to get that?" If I worked near the WSCTC, I would probably eat lunch here everyday. It's great for when you need a boost at PAX and don't feel like waiting for 40 minutes to get a table and/or if you have special dietary needs. Grab a salmon brown rice bowl for cheap, an amazing banana-blueberry shake, or a shot of wheatgrass to get you going.

Will write more!

Twinkie on
  • StillwaterBalmStillwaterBalm Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If a "Great Foodening" map is in the works, can I suggest that the hours of operation of these omnomeries be added. The late night foods be crucial at PAX. I would be happy to help add this info if there is a conglomerative map going. I saw that ASimPerson started a very fine looking one, but I am not sure if MrDoctorProfessor has been keeping a more comprehensive one going for the big reveal.
    Love. This. Thread.

StillwaterBalm on
    Baffling.
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love this thread, especially since I'm moving to the Seattle downtown area - useful in more ways than one! :D

That said, if we want to put hours on there, perhaps we can use a different color for all the places that are open after a certain point? That way, we could all tell at a glance which ones are which.

Heleor on
  • Masta_FuMasta_Fu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mondo Burritos - Taco Dell Mar <3

Masta_Fu on
    Windows Isn't A Virus, Viruses Do Something:P
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    How far is Bizzarro Italian Cafe from the PAX venue? Saw this place on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and it looks tasty. Any locals care to comment?

It was good when I went a few years ago but they've since changed ownership and I cant comment now.

mrt144 on
    edited June 2010
    Twinkie wrote: »

Juice It/0 miles/Healthy Deli, Juice Bar/$
    This place is in the convention center and easy to miss. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until I saw a fellow Enforcer last year with a bowl of tasty greens and asked, "When did you find time to get that?" If I worked near the WSCTC, I would probably eat lunch here everyday. It's great for when you need a boost at PAX and don't feel like waiting for 40 minutes to get a table and/or if you have special dietary needs. Grab a salmon brown rice bowl for cheap, an amazing banana-blueberry shake, or a shot of wheatgrass to get you going.

Will write more!

This has actually changed. They moved their location to the main floor near the south exit ot Freeway Park a few weeks ago.

mrt144 on
  • chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Would I be out of line if I suggested a local beer you can really only get in several of these locations? Mac & Jacks in Redmond http://www.macandjacks.com/index.php you can tour them on Sundays @ 3pm for fun but their local brew is a nice thing to try if you enjoy that sort of thing. Many of the sit down restaurants listed in this thread should have it.

If this isn't *food* enough specific feel free to kill. Man, I need out of this office so I can go get some now the craving has set in and this thread has made me starving.

chrisstie on
    edited June 2010
    man, you can get Mac & Jacks all over seattle

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited June 2010
    chrisstie wrote: »
    Would I be out of line if I suggested a local beer you can really only get in several of these locations? Mac & Jacks in Redmond http://www.macandjacks.com/index.php you can tour them on Sundays @ 3pm for fun but their local brew is a nice thing to try if you enjoy that sort of thing. Many of the sit down restaurants listed in this thread should have it.

If this isn't *food* enough specific feel free to kill. Man, I need out of this office so I can go get some now the craving has set in and this thread has made me starving.

Beer is food in Seattle.

mrt144 on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any personal experiences with the Dragonfish Cafe in the bottom of the Paramount Hotel (1 block North)?

I have heard they do Bento boxes for lunch... It is more then close enough to try out if it is decent.
    Dragon Fish is completely awesome, but a little small. Definitely worth the wait a the right times. They run specials for Happy Hour on plates and rolls. Happy Hour is 3-6pm and 9pm-1am. A menu for both regular and for happy hour can be found on their website. I fed myself for under $10 with two large rolls (very yummy), rice, and drink. So yummy, I'm going back!

www.dragonfishcafe.com
    722 Pine Street
    Seattle, WA 98101-1843
    (206) 467-7777

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone know of a quick, yummy, non fast food breakfast place?

Unfortunately we didn't get a room at the Homewood Suites so we can't cook...

Also, how is the daily grill restaurant at the Sheraton?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.belleepicurean.com/ at 4th and Seneca. It's one of the two eateries in Seattle we actually went to more than once.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    chrisstie wrote: »

Beer is food in Seattle.

I thought that was Portland? :P

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
    edited June 2010
    Stupid wrote: »
    http://www.belleepicurean.com/ at 4th and Seneca. It's one of the two eateries in Seattle we actually went to more than once.

OMG, that looks absolutely delicious!
    I will be trying out this place for sure!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited June 2010
    Serenity wrote: »

Nothing amazing but will suffice.

mrt144 on
    edited June 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Serenity wrote: »

Nothing amazing but will suffice.

Alright too bad there's not a continental breakfast at the Sheraton like at Homewood...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Stupid wrote: »

Well that just looks ridiculously awesome. I love a good patisserie, thanks for the tip.

Wifflebat on
  • BlackWolfBuddhaBlackWolfBuddha Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A map console_gamer and I(BlackWolfBuddha) made during class instead of paying very much attention to the lecture. It should be open for editing. We will try to keep it updated with requests

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105013859693686880381.000489f25b167a8f25fec

BlackWolfBuddha on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just went to Elysium Brewery with a friend and it was amazing. The prices were really affordable ($15 steak at a sit-down place), the quality was decent, and they had beer samplers. Definitely recommend, even though it's out of the way (10-20 minute walk)

Heleor on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a hotel room in Pioneer square specifically so I can be near Fado Irish Pub.

I don't know how I would survive without bangers and mash, quality whiskey, and beer. I figure the mile walk to the convention center is a great way to work off all the excess substances I'll be consuming.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fado's Irish Pub is right around the corner from my work. I have a very hard time not going there every day with my co-workers to have a beer and food.

I'll put in my vote for The Honey Hole and Pho Cyclo Cafe being superb as well. Those are two great places near by where I live, but The Honey Hole is probably more accessible to PAX goers who are hoofing it around.

If you have transportation, I highly suggest Voula's Offshore Cafe for breakfast. It's a great place to eat at, although it can get a bit busy on weekend mornings. Go early if you can.

E: I fail at forum posting standards. Here!

The Honey Hole/.7 miles/Sammiches!/$/http://thehoneyhole.com/

Pho Cyclo Cafe/1.3 miles/Vietnamese/$/http://www.phocyclocafe.com/

Voula's Offshore Cafe/4.6 miles/Breakfast Fare/$/http://voulasoffshore.com/

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Caz NeergCaz Neerg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A couple of glaring oversights:

the Melting Pot - near Seattle Center, has happy hour both from 4:30-6:30 and 9:00-11:00, with 50% off cheese fondue, chocolate fondue, all salads, and well drinks. Not exclusive to Seattle, but not in a huge number of places.

Lola - located on 4th avenue, this place has a lot of really, really good food. Two notable standouts are the garlic smashed potatoes, which are probably somewhere in the top five tastiest potato sides of all time. Inexpensive as well, since they can be ordered as a side. The second is the donuts, which are fresh baked, rolled in cinnamon and sugar, and served with vanilla mascarpone. You have to get there pretty early in the day for those though.

For best hot dog value, my personal favorite would be Dog in the Park, located across the street from Westlake Center. Open until 8pm every day, with a wide variety of high quality and flavorful dogs.

For those willing to go all the way to the University District, Schultzy's offers great sausage sandwiches, and the best fries in the city.

Other than those mrt144 seems to have covered everything else worth eating in the city. I can't recommend the Hurricane or Mamma Melina highly enough. And the Ballycastle Sausage Rolls from Kell's are like heaven in your mouth, at only 3 dollars during happy hour.

Caz Neerg on
    edited June 2010
    Schultzy's fries are good, but Elysian Fields down by the stadiums has even better truffle fries and they're only $2 during happy hour. Very good beer too.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • pfdanpfdan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This has probably already been said but top pot donuts is amazing and not to far away. their variety in flavors is amazing. hell if it wasnt midnight id go get a bacon maple bar right now.

pfdan on
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'll put in my vote for The Honey Hole...

I'll second that vote (although I think I did earlier in this thread somewhere, too)...they have a Happy Hour drink special every night that is always girly, fun & only $5-$6. It can get pretty busy on weekend evenings, but if you get a table the food and atmosphere is definitely worth it.

Yum!

Masquerade78 on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you're looking for a not-so-dive bar with great pub-grub, I heartily recommend the Alibi Room. It's a bit hard to get to unless you know where you're going, and the menu is fairly terse (I'm being kind here) but the food is awesome and the drinks are mixed quite well.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Top Pot is sadly dissapointing, they rely on the person getting sugar high rather than producing a unique and tasty donut. Tried samples of a half dozen from the Bellvue location a few weeks ago and find them wanting in comparison to the Mighty-Os I can get from WF.

Any other donut suggestions around the parts?

Emerez on
This discussion has been closed.