As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip: 4th Annual! - T-Shirts have arrived!

• TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i tend to wear my paxshirts sparingly so as to preserve them to wear at/around pax. that being said . . . i would i would gladly pay a higher price for a shirt that i could wear more often 8-)

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PAX Train polos so we can pop our collars.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arikado wrote: »

"We rule this train!"

Just have an entire shop of PAX Train gear ;p; hats, belts, gloves, sweatshirts, underwear, (thongs?), sunglasses, etc.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

"We rule this train!"

Just have an entire shop of PAX Train gear ;p; hats, belts, gloves, sweatshirts, underwear, (thongs?), sunglasses, etc.

You forgot girl shirts! I dunno about the rest of the women who ride PAX train, but I'd wear mine a lot more if it fit properly...

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited April 2010
    nemaihne wrote: »

"We rule this train!"

You forgot girl shirts! I dunno about the rest of the women who ride PAX train, but I'd wear mine a lot more if it fit properly...

Erm.. yeah but those go under the category of "shirts"... it's a subcategory--erm along with men's shirts... ermm--uhhh, before we continue this possibly sexist discussion... how about a game of Magic?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    suppose i were to make a shop that sold West Coast Train Trip coffee mugs and shirts with this logo
    wctt02.png

should i take no commissions from each sale or should i take a small commission from each sale(wich would make the merch more expensive) and use the money to fund paxtrain related stuff?. . . like raffle prizes for example.

would you like to see more added to the shirts and coffee mugs? a phrase below the logo? a phrase on the other side of the t-shirt/coffee mug?

If you bought a t-shirt with this logo, how would that impact your purchase of the limited edition yearly paxtrain shirt with whatever the unique design happens to be this year? understand that i would in no way want this to detract from what i'm sure will be a very awesome shirt unique to this years trip

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

"We rule this train!"

Nobody puts PAXers in a corner!

Unless perhaps there happens to be something rather interesting to do in that corner in which case that would probably be alright.

Belgand on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The shirts that Amanda made last year were fantastic. My vote would be for her to do it again. In general I prefer either dark (black, dark blue) or bright (red, yellow, green) colors. In the middle doesn't do it for me. I wasn't a fan of the gray from last year, even though I loved the design.

I wear my PAX shirts around, mostly to nerdy events like Rock Band parties. I've never really had a problem with the quality of them. My only suggestion would be to get the American Eagle shirts that Woot and ThinkGeek use, because I really like the way they fit. Might be prohibitively expensive, though.

As far as the cafepress store... meh. I'm perfectly happy with the unique t-shirt that we do every year. I don't really want a coffee mug, underwear, a sport disc, or bumper stickers.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    The shirts that Amanda made last year were fantastic. My vote would be for her to do it again. In general I prefer either dark (black, dark blue) or bright (red, yellow, green) colors. In the middle doesn't do it for me. I wasn't a fan of the gray from last year, even though I loved the design.

This, most of us have enough black T-shirts. Personally I would prefer a lighter colored shirt since I live in the middle of a desert and dark colored shirts suck when it is 90+ degrees outside.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArtemisArtemis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah so im defently going to Pax Prime this year! I will be taking a flight to Sacramento, CA then get on the WCTT up to PAX! going to cost me like $500 in traviling expense though, kinda sucks. I wont be able to buy my plane / train tickets until July/Auguest due to low funds. Do you think the price of plane/train tickets will go up much in that time?

Artemis on
    edited April 2010
    Plane will inflate faster than the train tickets.

Although, if we pack it full of WCTT folks, the train tickets could rocket up, too.

Arikado on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't forget, it's Labor Day weekend, so plenty of other folks will be taking both the plane and the train who aren't going to PAX. Wed (1st) should be fine for the train, but the Mon (6th) tix will go up fairly quickly.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited April 2010
    Artemis: yes. By August the prices will have definitely gone up, both for the train and for the plane.

Arco on
  • Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Weenog42 wrote: »
    We shall be returning - that means a new awesome t-shirt design from Amanda!

Any requests as to colors or design elements this year?

As for the method of fabrication, I have a vendetta against Plastisol, which is that thick rubbery stuff that a lot of printers use. It is usually the cheapest option, but it makes the shirt uncomfortable and cracks after some wear. Without any specific numbers the question is, would you wear your PaxTrain shirt throughout the year if it were more comfortable/trendy but also a little pricier?

[EDIT] I didn't see that Slipstream had already offered t-shirt designs. If you guys want to either collaborate or have a no-holds-barred showdown, far be it from me to get in the way. I just know that Amanda made the shirts last year on pretty short notice, and I know she's been chomping at the bit to cook up something kickass ever since.

By all means, if she's that excited for it, far be it from me to take that away, I just hadnt seen anyone post on it, so wanted to be sure someone had it covered. :)

I too hate plastisol! If she wants to do the design, and I can have them made here locally (I can vouch for my screen printer, good stuff) we can do that, or if there is somewhere else u can go locally go for it. Just giving options :)

Slipstream0 on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    my flight to and from pax last year was kind of a bitch as i had a nasty sinus infection through the whole thing.

I'm considering this, but I'd be leaving from San Diego.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited April 2010
    You can take a train from SD to LA Union as well. Although not sure how early they would run that day.

Arikado on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Artemis:

Last year I don't remember there being any real inflation in the train ticket prices until like a month before pax. Watch the prices, they'll stay the same for a long time, but if they start going up, BUY because they quickly keep going up.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited April 2010

If you look at the train schedule in the OP there's a connecting train that leaves at 6:10am from San Diego. How much of a morning person are you? :?

Transparent on
    edited April 2010
    my flight to and from pax last year was kind of a bitch as i had a nasty sinus infection through the whole thing.

last year squirminator2k and MichelleKenobi started the trip in San Diego, so it quite doable . . . not sure how early you'd have to be on a train to meet up with us at union station though.

edit: i see ben has beat me to it .. . and not only has he beat me to it . . . he used a link i had to find and put in the thread and pulled out information that i overlooked. bravo sir.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

As for the method of fabrication, I have a vendetta against Plastisol, which is that thick rubbery stuff that a lot of printers use. It is usually the cheapest option, but it makes the shirt uncomfortable and cracks after some wear. Without any specific numbers the question is, would you wear your PaxTrain shirt throughout the year if it were more comfortable/trendy but also a little pricier?

[EDIT] I didn't see that Slipstream had already offered t-shirt designs. If you guys want to either collaborate or have a no-holds-barred showdown, far be it from me to get in the way. I just know that Amanda made the shirts last year on pretty short notice, and I know she's been chomping at the bit to cook up something kickass ever since.

I, unfortunately will not be handling the t-shirts this year.. but I will be purchasing one.. My only suggestion for whomever is handling it, throw in some extra's to give away to Amtrak Staff, they really liked the ones we had for 09.

I hop'd on the connection at Irvine, you get there with plenty of time to meet/greet others in LA. This year I'm going to take the earlier Metrolink train thou, I have some things to do near LAUnion that morning(Like get a kick ass breakfast)

tek on
    edited April 2010

I think there's plenty of time to collaborate on a design and pick a vendor. I'd appreciate it if my friends at http://brandxstore.com/ were included when you get quotes. But that's all the meddling I plan on doing with the shirts.

Transparent on
    edited April 2010
    Forgot to post the link to view the roster spreadsheet.

http://bit.ly/PAXTrain2010Sheet

tek on
    edited April 2010
    What sort of size limits and shaking are we looking at for board games? I mean, how unreasonable would it be to bring Arkham Horror or Twilight Imperium? What about something like Zombies! where there are simply a lot of small pieces that could easily fall over?

Likewise what would be the (non-Pokemon) DS games to bring for both the train and con? Sure things will keep coming out over the summer, but what are the major multiplayer titles that I might want to pick up if I don't already have them?

Belgand on
    edited April 2010
    There are full size tables in the Obs car, basically a table that seats four.. Starting at the bottom of the page and continuing to page 5 are shots of the Obs Car and 'activities'.

http://tek.digfrac.net/v/2009WCTTPAX/?g2_page=3

As far as shaking/movement goes, it's not bad, there will be an occasional big "jolt" going thru a switch or something. The only time I had an issue with a big jolt that caused as problem was on the California Zephyr to Denver, I spilled my damn beer!

tek on
    edited April 2010
    Belgand wrote: »
    Likewise what would be the (non-Pokemon) DS games to bring for both the train and con? Sure things will keep coming out over the summer, but what are the major multiplayer titles that I might want to pick up if I don't already have them?

Mario Kart, tetris, meteos, and worms 2 get a lot of use. I highly recommend them.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey all, I've decided to head up a few days early so I can do the MMT, so I won't be taking the train up with you guys. Sorry, but I really want to see the area and was figuring to stay a few days after until the MMT caught my eye. I will be heading back on the train on the 6th though.

Steel Fire on
  • delwyndelwyn Melbourne, AURegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, I've caught the bug again, so I'll be coming to PAX Prime again, all the way from Down Under - and since flights into your crazy country force me to land at the hell-hole that is LAX, that means it's WCTT to PAX :D

Will anyone be mad enough to setup wireless internet sharing like the 2008 train trip?

delwyn on
    find / -name base -user you -exec chown -R us {} \;
    vgjxaRK.png
    edited April 2010
    delwyn wrote: »
    Will anyone be mad enough to setup wireless internet sharing like the 2008 train trip?

i do believe rcars2 shall have that covered again this year ;-)

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish the train was coming through Portland a little earlier. I'd hate to only get four hours with the train riders and then not get in until 8ish. Decisions, decisions.

Esh on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    Take the train. It's awesome.

That being said, if you're splitting a hotel with 3 other people it will only run you around $40 a night for one of the nice PAX hotels. It shouldn't be anywhere near $500.

I'm going alone, and I dont know how I feel about sharing a room with strangers.

I'm the same way, so unless I can get a friend from Portland to come along, my hotel is hitting me for $760 for the four nights.

Esh on
    edited April 2010
    Flying out of New York, possibly trying to drum up an alternative flight for train than a direct to Seattle... but trying to find a cheaper airport with flights going in BEFORE a select time for each train station can prove a challenge. If anyone has any suggestions of a cheap airport to fly into with flights coming in before the train, let me know :P.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Try looking at Eugene, OR. The flights are kinda limited but it's a place to check.

Steel Fire on
    edited April 2010
    Flying out of New York, possibly trying to drum up an alternative flight for train than a direct to Seattle... but trying to find a cheaper airport with flights going in BEFORE a select time for each train station can prove a challenge. If anyone has any suggestions of a cheap airport to fly into with flights coming in before the train, let me know :P.

LaGuardia & JFK to San Jose ~$125, lots of flights through out the day on a variety of carriers. Train arrives in San Jose @ 8:27pm, this gives you basically about 24 hours of the 34 hour experience that is PAXTrain (aka WCTT). After dinner and just in time for the all night gaming rush.

tek on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Alright, I know it's a bit early to be planning games, but last night I played the most fun card game ever and I'm so buying a copy of it for the PAXtrain. I'll just quote what I wrote on it a minute ago:
    Went to a party last night, we played one of the most fun games I've ever played. Card game called "Aye Evil Overlord"

Each player gets a hand with 3 "pass" cards and 3 "story" cards, the story cards containing random things like "sea dragon" "cursed wand" "shady shopkeeper" etc. One player doesn't draw cards, he's the overlord. Everyone else, the people with cards, are his minions who have horribly failed him. He picks a random person and asks them why they failed. They have to use one or more of their story cards to make up an excuse of what happened, and then one of their "pass" cards to pin the responsibility and failure on another person.

If they do really well, the overlord rewards them with more cards. If they take too long, or if the Overlord thinks their story is stupid, he gives them a "withering look" card, they discard all cards they have left, and draw a new hand. Whoever gets 3 withering looks first, loses.

There's a few more mechanics, but that's the gist of it. Very, very fun.

Edit: Apparently it's actually called Aye Dark Overlord, not Aye Evil Overlord.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Me+1 working on getting time off, then buying tix. Maybe only going up this year, and flying back. Evening flight home on Monday would give us time to actually *gasp* see some of Seattle out side of the con center.
    Belgand wrote: »
    What sort of size limits and shaking are we looking at for board games? I mean, how unreasonable would it be to bring Arkham Horror or Twilight Imperium? What about something like Zombies! where there are simply a lot of small pieces that could easily fall over?

I set up Agricola last year, and I know BSG and Galaxy Trucker were both played, but I think that was about the limit.

Oh, it was 3player Agricola at that. I highly doubt we could have fit a 4th player board on there.

SlickShughes on
    edited April 2010
    Arkham Horror would be difficult because there's so much stuff you have to have on the table at once. I actually had to buy a bigger coffee table for that game. ;) You might be able to pull it off, but it would be tricky. The booths are a tight fit for 4 people. We fit Ticket to Ride on there pretty well.

Arco on
  • Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would limit yourself to 4 person games, unless its the kind of thing where someone can sit at the table across the aisle, or in the adjacent table spun around backwards. The train is surprisingly steady, and most things won't really fall over or slide around, unless they're really top-heavy. Noise is the only other major concern - I ended up calling my D&D games due to the general din.

But if you play Arkham Horror at the convention, let me get in on that!

Weenog42 on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We had a decent 6 player Battlestar Galactica game with 4 people in one booth and the other 2 sitting on the edges of the opposite booth.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited April 2010
    Arkham Horror would be difficult because there's so much stuff you have to have on the table at once. I actually had to buy a bigger coffee table for that game. ;) You might be able to pull it off, but it would be tricky. The booths are a tight fit for 4 people. We fit Ticket to Ride on there pretty well.

I know what you mean, we can't actually play Twilight Imperium in my apartment because we don't own a table (or even room really) that's large enough. Arkham Horror, even the base game, is only barely possible.

BSG, however, sounds like a great option to bring along since the board plays such a relatively small role. Probably Luna Llena as well since it's a great game, but an uncommon import in the US. I might bring some other games (e.g. Arkham) along for the con.

Belgand on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will be making sure to run at least one game of Arkham Horror on the trip up.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.