As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: More like 'Finite Ward', am I right?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's what I like to hear.

Also, I swear that on two seperate occasions, DC explosives didn't kill me when I had blast shield on. I need to test this some time.

But if they didn't kill you, how did you know they were DC? :P Blast shield isn't useless, just mediocre. It turns DC explosions into regular explosions, which still kill you very dead.

Because I saw the guy on the killcam. He was using a DC tube and fired one, got a blast shield hit marker, then fired a second one and killed me.

The only other thing I can think of is that his aim was really off (this was in Crash HQ, when I was defending it, so I didn't actually see myself on the killcam).

It's unlikely, but I am curious.

EDIT: You can keep your new catch phrase, so long as you stop correcting us on 'clip vs magazine' (which doesn't give you free reign to correct us on other mundane details).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's what I like to hear.

Also, I swear that on two seperate occasions, DC explosives didn't kill me when I had blast shield on. I need to test this some time.

But if they didn't kill you, how did you know they were DC? :P Blast shield isn't useless, just mediocre. It turns DC explosions into regular explosions, which still kill you very dead.

Because I saw the guy on the killcam. He was using a DC tube and fired one, got a blast shield hit marker, then fired a second one and killed me.

The only other thing I can think of is that his aim was really off (this was in Crash HQ, when I was defending it, so I didn't actually see myself on the killcam).

It's unlikely, but I am curious.

Well, DC increases radius and power while blast shield can only reduce damage. I guess it was just on the outer edge of that regular tube's increased range; we can test it later today.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    10th prestige?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No.

EDIT: 'Cause Gold Skull Coin looks silly.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Stayed up way too late finishing off those last couple K in XP. Icon is so ugly. Of course I can use sniper rifles now.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish the system for prestiging was different. The way I would prefer it done would be to have all of the icons unlocked as you prestige, but you can switch between any of the icons you have earned at any time. Even if I was a 10th prestige, I could use, say, the fourth prestige icon or even the non-prestige ones. You could continue to reset your levels after 10 times, infinitely, and it would simply keep track of how many times you did it.

Because filling bars is quite a good deal of the satisfaction from these RPG/FPS hybrids.

Luigi, you available for play?

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    For half an hour, sure.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Geddawn

e: Good couple of games, Luigi. Except for the guy who singlehandedly spawn camped us on Highrise at A with an M16, going 14-0 in the first 1.5 minutes without calling in a single killstreak. That was really fucking cute.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry to cut and run, but I'm done for the night.

Also, goddamn. Riot Shield + Blast Shield seemed to be more effective now against DC (as in, you don't die regardless). Since that Semtex still killed me at a decent range, I'd say most of the explosives may have been toned down a tad. Tubes and RPGs which should have killed me didn't. Thanks for the trial.

EDIT: Don't know about DC vs Blast Shield without the Riot Shield though. The damage during the trail actually wasn't that bad.

EDIT2: Yeah, screw that guy.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No.

Not to mention there's no actual "prestige" in 10th level. Since everyone just automatically assume you rank hacked.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    No.

Not to mention there's no actual "prestige" in 10th level. Since everyone just automatically assume you rank hacked.

This is my favorite part of being 10th prestige.

Random tool on XBL - "Haha, look at the fucking booster. How much did you pay for that, kid?"

7500 points later...

Scatman1337 | 37-4-5
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x

Me - "Paid with the tears of scrubs like you."

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a bad person and I hate myself for it.

I prestiged for the first time on Friday night. Decided I needed to burn through the lower levels as fast as possible, so I've been rolling an UMP/SPAS witch. This morning I got Commando VI. :oops:

The only way I can rationalize this behavior is that I've only been using it in FFA, and those geese deserve what they get. But still...:oops:

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You have access to the mighty SPAS and you use a knife to kill people?

You have no dignity.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    You have access to the mighty SPAS and you use a knife to kill people?

You have no dignity.

I know. D:

To be fair to myself, though, my second favorite mode of killing was using this same build to run up and unleash a SPAS to the back of the head. Followed closely by trying to stick Semtex to people.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    On the UAV/CUAV topic:

I use UAV/CUAV/Predator. I'm just over a 1:1 ratio on average, and a higher killstreak setup is just praying for a jammy game. Sure it was really cool that one time I got to a Pavelow off the killstreaks my mate had left on my account, but it'd be frustrating getting nothing for a whole game.
    UAV and CUAV are tragically underused, especially by the bad-to-average players. Helping the team win the information war is all we can realistically hope to achieve, and though we don't get to point to our K/D to prove our worth to the team, the C/UAVs we called in saved the right people and killed the wrong ones. Plus if all us noobs band together on this maybe CB would be a good choice versus SP*!
    But then I like the Riot Shield too. 9:12:9 is my kind of K/A/D. :mrgreen:

*SP just shits me in the worst way. No comment on the balance or anything, but when you take any of the more interesting 2nd Perks (read: any of the others) it feels as if you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just got this from Gamefly.

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

It is IMPOSSIBLE. I'm not even playing on Hardened difficulty, like they brilliantly told me was a good idea after the opening Pit section. I'm in the Rio section, fighting militia, alone, and getting slaughtered every time I round a corner. I HAVE DIED 30+ TIMES ON THIS ONE SECTION ALONE. It's fucking impossible, and I want to punch someone in the face. Seriously, is this supposed to be fun? A quarter-inch view of an enemy is supposed to be enough for you to see when you have 239048230984 of them shooting at you? Jesus Christ... Seriously, I don't get frustrated easily over games, but this was just poorly made. When it's pure luck that you can reach a new checkpoint, there's a major problem.

EDIT: I just tried again. I rounded a corner and got shot twice without seeing my attacker. And I died. Tried again, looking up this time. Oh, there's three of them. AND THEY FUCKING SHOOT YOU THE INSTANT YOU MOVE INTO VIEW, before you can even see them! WHAT THE FUCK, INFINITY WARD?!!?!

Fawst on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Use cover and flashbangs is about the best advice I can give for the Favela part of the game. Really it's good advice for the whole thing. I actually replayed that level on Regular difficulty the other day and just rolled through with flashbangs and my M10. It was pretty fun.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The thing that finally got me through that level was when I realized that (even though it really feels like it) there actually isn't an endless stream of enemies. There are a finite number. So if you take your time you'll eventually get to a point where everything is dead. I kept trying to rush through it, but slowing down was the key.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's not even close to "fun." I have spotted 7 spawn points near my checkpoint. I know there are more than those that I've found. When I kill enemies, they respawn JUST as I'm killing other people and take me out.

Oh, and cover is useless when you get shot the instant you move out of it. Flashbangs? I have none left. Those were useful enough for me to make it about 50 yards. Yeah, fuck this.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You should try it on Veteran. That level made me want to punch myself in the dick.

EDIT: And just to add a little more content to TOTP; the enemies don't respawn. I assumed they did too, but they don't. If you take your time eventually you'll kill everyone. As much as you think you need to, don't rush. Be systematic. It won't take long to figure out where they all are, and once you get the pattern down it's just a matter of execution.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know what? Don't run round corners. Take your time, be methodical, look both ways through doorways before you enter them and be aware where people could flank you. As long as you're always thinking and not charging around, the favela is easy.

I actually think that level is one of the easiest even on Veteran, because you can lock the whole area down pretty well.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    You know what? Don't run round corners. Take your time, be methodical, look both ways through doorways before you enter them and be aware where people could flank you. As long as you're always thinking and not charging around, the favela is easy.

I actually think that level is one of the easiest even on Veteran, because you can lock the whole area down pretty well.

OK, how about barely creeping around a corner with my gun raised and getting pegged before I can see an enemy? Cuz that's what I had happening. The good news is I was right at the end of that section and finally beat it. The better news is that the next section of the game is one of the most mind numbingly awesome levels I have ever played in a video game, EVER. No hyperbole there. America. Fuck, yeah.

The bad news is I'm now back in Rio. Argh. lol

EDIT: I am now in a situation where every time I spawn, I am killed within .5 seconds. No exaggeration, there is a Russian behind me that kills me before I can get to cover, OR spin and kill him. Every time.

I love this game, but I hate it at the same time. It's the greatest anti-war statement ever. Why? Because if real war is anything like this, YOU DON'T STAND A CHANCE AT SEEING YOUR WAY THROUGH IT ALIVE!!!

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If you are killed immediately after spawn, eventually the game will spawn you at an ealrier checkpoint, I believe. It's to avoid the limited resource scenario.

Enemies will see you when you pop out of cover, but they're super dumb and will expect you to be there next time. Usually you should pop up, take a small hit and duck down again so you know where they are. Then flank.

Willeth on
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My box RRoD'd on me this morning and I was gonna spend my day off shooting mans. I'm upset but have managed to stifle the flow of man tears. I don't wanna have to wait like 2 weeks but I got no choice other than shanghai-ing my roommates box now-and-again. At least I got to rage a bit last night. Thanks for the games guys

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    At least it didn't happen during the XP bonanzatron.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »

OK, how about barely creeping around a corner with my gun raised and getting pegged before I can see an enemy? Cuz that's what I had happening. The good news is I was right at the end of that section and finally beat it. The better news is that the next section of the game is one of the most mind numbingly awesome levels I have ever played in a video game, EVER. No hyperbole there. America. Fuck, yeah.

The bad news is I'm now back in Rio. Argh. lol

EDIT: I am now in a situation where every time I spawn, I am killed within .5 seconds. No exaggeration, there is a Russian behind me that kills me before I can get to cover, OR spin and kill him. Every time.

I love this game, but I hate it at the same time. It's the greatest anti-war statement ever. Why? Because if real war is anything like this, YOU DON'T STAND A CHANCE AT SEEING YOUR WAY THROUGH IT ALIVE!!!

There's always the Restart Level option. Sure, it sucks that you lose some progress, but if it really is literally impossible to advance it may be the way to go.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i beat the single player before going online, and i have no interest in going back and playing it again to get more trophies, and im a total trophy whore on most games. It was a very frustrating experience for me as well.

Most of the spec ops are fun if you play co-op with someone, but im not the kind of gamer that likes dying, getting one step further in the lvl and dying again, then getting one step further and dying, repeat. Its bad game design. My online multiplayer scores may not always show it, but im good at videogames. I very rarely die more than once in a lvl, and oh dear God i died over and over in this game.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    claypoolfanclaypoolfan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there still dexp today or did it end?

claypoolfan on
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Musicool wrote: »
    On the UAV/CUAV topic:

I use UAV/CUAV/Predator. I'm just over a 1:1 ratio on average, and a higher killstreak setup is just praying for a jammy game. Sure it was really cool that one time I got to a Pavelow off the killstreaks my mate had left on my account, but it'd be frustrating getting nothing for a whole game.
    UAV and CUAV are tragically underused, especially by the bad-to-average players. Helping the team win the information war is all we can realistically hope to achieve, and though we don't get to point to our K/D to prove our worth to the team, the C/UAVs we called in saved the right people and killed the wrong ones. Plus if all us noobs band together on this maybe CB would be a good choice versus SP*!
    But then I like the Riot Shield too. 9:12:9 is my kind of K/A/D. :mrgreen:

*SP just shits me in the worst way. No comment on the balance or anything, but when you take any of the more interesting 2nd Perks (read: any of the others) it feels as if you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You should try the hardcore modes. You can use the other perks without too much handicap.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There was a hard section in the single player that wasn't "500 guys with riot shields hiding under airplanes"? I mean, I beat the game on Veteran in like 2 days, but that is the only part of the single player I even remember, so it must've been the hardest part.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    eekseeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i beat the single player before going online, and i have no interest in going back and playing it again to get more trophies, and im a total trophy whore on most games. It was a very frustrating experience for me as well.

It wasn't frustrating in the good way either, like the way you can look back and say "Yeah I handled my business back there, and, goddamn, it was worth it." It was boring. As opposed the multiplayer which continues to be awesome and challenging, and even when it's frustrating, fun.

eeks on
    Eeks aka Erik K
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I go back to single-player fairly often when bored. I like to see how far I can make it using the pistols or some other non-AR/non-LMG/non-SMG weapon. Shotguns, pistols or knives make for fun levels.

I went through the Favela level the other day with only the M10. And I went through the first level with the M9.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry guys, I can't play hardcore. Much less HC HQ.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Transform and roll out?....?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    HCHQ is hilarious

RPD + FMJ + Thin walled HQ area = BUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDA Triple Kill!

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I haven't read any reviews for this. I may have to now, just to see how infuriated the writers were. I'm on the section where you have to download data, protect the house, then escape the house. Escaping is IM-FUCKING-POSSIBLE. Enemies are just far too good a shot to get away from. Stop to kill one, another gets you. EVERY TIME.

MW had some tough, bordering on infuriating, parts, but this is just ridiculous. And it's not even hard like Ninja Gaiden, where you just need to be better. No, you just need to be fucking lucky for this game. It's too bad, because it looks amazing, and it has an awesome storyline. Such a disappointment.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's the hardest mission IMO. What difficulty are you on?

Willeth on
  • Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ohmygod I did that part on veteran mode. I was so mad, it was like hearing a thousand tea kettles going off.

Soap kept saying he had my back, but that was a lie.

Vee on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Vee wrote: »
    Ohmygod I did that part on veteran mode. I was so mad, it was like hearing a thousand tea kettles going off.

Soap kept saying he had my back, but that was a lie.

Maybe because Soap is in Afghanistan during that mission :P

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Awesome Storyline"

lol

I played it on regular, because I didn't want frustration. Just do the same thing.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png