As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sleep is Death

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Based on the name itself, it looks like it'll let you upload your stories there as well.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BarneyL wrote: »
    I'm planning to pre-order, might even pick up a second pre-order so I can spread the joy even further.
    Looks like this site/ might be worth checking on the 9th. It claims it's going to provide some form of matchmaking service for the game.

You do know that each purchase of the game gives you two keys, right?

Xtarath on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am sure this will be used to tell erotic stories.

BTW, why the GOOSE is the guy's family naked?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds like you just answered your own question.

l337CrappyJack on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Today is the last day to pre-order this. Pre-ordering is 5$ cheaper (9$ instead of 14$), and you also get the game a week early (i.e. tomorrow).

Entriech on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm pumped, can we get a list of people who preordered and what they think their preference regarding controller/player might be?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I preordered and I'd probably prefer to be a player, since I'm terrible at art.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god. We're going to use this to violate each other, aren't we?

Preordered.

Drake on
    edited April 2010
    If we do make a list of people, put me on it, I don't have any preference for controller/player.

Xtarath on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish there was a hub/anonymous play. I know my interest would stay for a long time, but this seems like the type of game that the few people I know of who would be interested in it will get bored with it quickly.

Actually, I'm sure most people who play it will get bored with it quickly like with The Ship.

If he includes the source code, I hope someone gets cracking on adding a client for online.

Clevinger on
    edited April 2010
    I think those who preordered it get it tonight at 12, or in about an hour in a half.

Xtarath on
    edited April 2010
    I can't wait to get this, even though it's kinda the computer gaming equivalent of a box that says "Game" and the instructions in the box say, "Use your imagination! Have Fun!"

Which is kind of awesome. I can't wait to see what we pull on each other.

Imagine the Let's Play and Game On possibilities.

Drake on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »
    I think those who preordered it get it tonight at 12, or in about an hour in a half.

Seriously? Awesome :O :O

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    I can't wait to get this, even though it's kinda the computer gaming equivalent of a box that says "Game" and the instructions in the box say, "Use your imagination! Have Fun!"

Which is kind of awesome. I can't wait to see what we pull on each other.

Imagine the Let's Play and Game On possibilities.

Helloween vs everyone who knows his torments.

The perfect storm.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys better be on this tomorrow. I want to see flipbooks to sustain me another week.

Stealtharcadia on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes, I demand slide shows of stories told.

Also, Dinosaurs with massive wangs. I want a story told featuring this.
    PLEASE

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    So, getting excited?

Yes. I keep firing up my email client every five minutes, hoping for the download link. I'm giving my extra copy to one of my oldest, bestest friends. We grew up playing D&D starting with the original Blue Box. Before that we used to play Star Wars (and Star Trek and Logan's Run and Planet of the Apes, and if we'd seen Zardoz, we'd probably have made up games for that too) in refrigerator boxes and shit. We are really excited.

I can't get the phrase Kurt Vonnegut Theater out of my head either, where players find out things like they are Hitler's lost nephew and their wives are abducted by Tralfamadorians to live in their Zoos far in the future on Tralfamador. I wonder what a chronosynclastic infindibulator would look like?

Drake on
    edited April 2010
    Here's a story from Joystiq. Man, that setting is devastating. Check out the flipbook at the end:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/05/hands-on-sleep-is-death/

edit: also, he's saying it should be playable on a machine as low as 233mhz.. OpenGL, though. Still, dang.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnderHero5UnderHero5 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was hoping to wake up this morning to an email with a download link.
    I wanted to try this before work today!

Oh well, I'll have something to look forward to for tonight (other than it just being Friday in general).

I'm planning on playing this on my netbook, so those low system reqs make me happy.

UnderHero5 on
    -=Evildoers Beware=-
    XBL: UnderHero5
    Steam/PSN: UnderHero5
    edited April 2010
    sidtube.com is up and running with the matchmaking feature listed as working. Forums too, it looks like it's going to be a great resource for the game.

Anyone get their release email yet? I've had order confirmation and my payment cleared. I really am excited to take a look at this thing.

Drake on
    edited April 2010
    I haven't yet, but I keep checking every ten minutes.

Xtarath on
    edited April 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    sidtube.com is up and running with the matchmaking feature listed as working. Forums too, it looks like it's going to be a great resource for the game.

Anyone get their release email yet? I've had order confirmation and my payment cleared. I really am excited to take a look at this thing.

Oh wow, they have an embedded IRC, neat.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited April 2010
    Registered on sidtube so hard. But PA play needs to happen.

Should we instigate some sort of [pa] tag for the IRC Channel? [sleepwanged]?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Registered on sidtube so hard. But PA play needs to happen.

Should we instigate some sort of [pa] tag for the IRC Channel? [sleepwanged]?

Yeah, I'm up for that.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    damn it, I first learned about this earlier today when I was on a public terminal an feared using my credit card, when I finally made it home to pre-order he'd shut down the preorders :_(

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tonight will be joyous indeed. Though I doubt people will get the chance to really create stuff by then.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited April 2010
    I have a thing that would require relatively little setup, given that some of the backdrops I've seen the creator use in previews are available.. And even if they aren't, it still wouldn't take that long.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know there aren't many situations where the following words can be chained together un-ironically, but:
    I can't wait till 4chan gets their hands on this. . .
    needs me some consentacles and CP
    and by CP I mean Cheese Pizza, obviously.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Did you guys tell SE++ about this game? Play with them

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    edited April 2010
    If you're in the sidtube IRC, put a [PA] after your name :>

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited April 2010
    The Joystiq one is truly glorious.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Indeed, it's what sold me on the game. I do think there's a temptation to stick too closely to existing game paradigms though, which might end up with...
    Think about this. What is the most exciting thing that can happen on TV or in movies or in real life? Somebody has a gun. That's why I always start with a gun, because you can't top it. You just can't.

Heartfelt dialogue on the nature of grief and coping? Pull a gun. Examination of complex social mores during a tension-filled dinner party? Pull a gun. I'm not actually sure who's a greater risk for trolling games - random internet strangers, or my friends...

Bioptic on
  • BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Launch has been delayed by "some hours" until a number of bugs discovered at the last minute are fixed.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

Indeed, it's what sold me on the game. I do think there's a temptation to stick too closely to existing game paradigms though, which might end up with...
    Think about this. What is the most exciting thing that can happen on TV or in movies or in real life? Somebody has a gun. That's why I always start with a gun, because you can't top it. You just can't.

Heartfelt dialogue on the nature of grief and coping? Pull a gun. Examination of complex social mores during a tension-filled dinner party? Pull a gun. I'm not actually sure who's a greater risk for trolling games - random internet strangers, or my friends...

Seems to me that the GM controls what props are accessible in the scenario/game/whatever. So if dude doesn't have a gun to pull then it's not going to happen. Creative props are one of the things I'm thinking about to drive narratives without relying on dialogue. I'm really curious about how easy it will be to bring stuff into the game.

Drake on
  • MctittlesMctittles Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Made a neat little fan site for people to upload and share their stories:

http://thecardchest.com/sid/

Have fun!

...and please play nice :).

Mctittles on
    I see what you did there last summer.
    edited April 2010
    Pre-order is live:

http://sleepisdeath.net/

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Woo!

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm putting together my first scene...a little confused. I want that tutorial video to come out!

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(