Options

Are the first years of consoles that bad?

2»

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    . Feel the Magic I regret not buying..

FYI, Feel the Magic is 9.99 or less now at Toys "Backwards R" Us, if they have it (mine usually does).

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    . Feel the Magic I regret not buying..

FYI, Feel the Magic is 9.99 or less now at Toys "Backwards R" Us, if they have it (mine usually does).

Kmart has had it on clearance for awhile too (although mine is sold out at the moment).

Personally, I liked FTM but didn't like it enough to hold onto it after beating it...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    1 thing that has been swimming around in my head for when I get a good enough rig to do it is to start making a game with bare bones graphics and get the gameplay to be solid and the story as well, once that is done, I would start ramping up the models and textures to the best it could be. Summing it up, I would make the game ugly and fun, and then make it pretty.

Thinking back to my ex wife, she really liked Crash racing and Grand turismo on the PSone and bought a racing wheel to go with it...its unanomous, girls like racing games.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    1 thing that has been swimming around in my head for when I get a good enough rig to do it is to start making a game with bare bones graphics and get the gameplay to be solid and the story as well, once that is done, I would start ramping up the models and textures to the best it could be. Summing it up, I would make the game ugly and fun, and then make it pretty.

Thinking back to my ex wife..
    you know, i really thought you were going to finish this sentence with "something like her".

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:

Thinking back to my ex wife..
    you know, i really thought you were going to finish this sentence with "something like her".
    Damn it, I was going to do an edit like:
    Summing it up, I would make the game ugly and fun, and then make it pretty.

Thinking back to my ex wife, though, this strategy has failed me in the past.

Thanks for taking the wind out of my sails.

Dirty on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh and Dirty, I'd say you're too picky with your gaming tastes if out of the 30+ games Shadowfire presented, you only saw 4-5 games that you liked.
    If we're talking about system sellers here, I saw even less.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To be fair to the Wii, the second best launch game ever is pretty good.

Duki on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RE: dwarf Fortress, those maps look like jibber jabber to me.

RE: Thinking back to my ex wife..

thank you, you sons of bitchs for giving me a good laugh after coming home from a long walk.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Interesting stats, but does anyone else think that the reviewers pretty much give a free ride to launch titles when giving them scores? I mean, PDZ for the 360 gets an average of 81%. I got a 360 for xmas, and picked this up used largely based on the relatively high score.

The game is terrible. Yeah, I guess the graphics are a step up from the Xbox, but really, the game is bad.

I feel like the reviewers gave it a good score because of the graphics upgrade, and because it was one of the very few games available to play at launch on their shiny new console.

Of course, I could also be slightly biased, considering that I just finished GoW prior to starting PDZ (coop), but still ... this game is definitely NOT GOOD.

Given that this game broke 80%, I wonder if the relatively high number of 80/90% games during launch years is function of the "oooohhhh, shiny new graphics" reaction to new consoles (or controls, wrt the Wii).

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Launch games get better reviews than they should because of the newness factor, most launch titles suck balls.

The first year factor is a much more interesting one. The PS2 launch frankly blew, but within about 14 months they had three absolutely top rate games and a whole slew of really decent titles. Same with the 'cube, OXBOX, and DS.

SNES had the best first year ever, I don't think anyone can ever beat a year one like that. The Wii has a chance if Galaxy, MP3, and Brawl all come out, but its not damn likely.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Care to refresh us on the SNES's first year? I remember Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy 2/IV, Super Castlevania, and Sim City. Am I forgetting anything big?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Care to refresh us on the SNES's first year? I remember Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy 2/IV, Super Castlevania, and Sim City. Am I forgetting anything big?
    Wow Zelda came out on the first year?

JJ on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think Zelda: LttP came out in a November. It may have been the November the year after the SNES launched, which I guess would technically put it within a calendar year.

Captain K on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RE: dwarf Fortress, those maps look like jibber jabber to me.

RE: Thinking back to my ex wife..

thank you, you sons of bitchs for giving me a good laugh after coming home from a long walk.

Dwarf Fortress is a good example of what you were saying, though. The gameplay is incredibly detailed, and everything is very well thought out. Only now that lots of features that they wanted to implement are in there, they're adding support for better graphics. Not anything fancy, just clearer than ASCII.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    xboxxer wrote:
    Of course, I could also be slightly biased, considering that I just finished GoW prior to starting PDZ (coop), but still ... this game is definitely NOT GOOD.

Playing GoW first would be part of the problem. At least for me all other shooters feel stale do to the lack of cover mechanics.
    There are actually a good number of people who think PDZ is a good game, not a great game, but certainly a good one. The MP is certainly better than the SP, though.

Accualt on
  • Options
    pyromoshpyromosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SNES for 1990 and 1991, according to Mobygames:

* Actraiser
    * F-Zero
    * Final Fight
    * Gradius III
    * Pilotwings
    * Populous
    * Super Mario World
    * Darius Twin
    * Drakkhen
    * Dungeon Master
    * Earth Defense Force
    * Final Fantasy IV
    * Final Fight
    * Gadurin
    * Hole in One
    * Home Alone
    * Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja
    * John Madden Football
    * Lagoon
    * The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    * The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    * Lemmings
    * The Miracle Piano Teaching System
    * Nobunaga's Ambition
    * Paperboy 2
    * PGA Tour Golf
    * Phalanx
    * Pit-Fighter
    * Raiden
    * Romancing SaGa
    * SimCity
    * SimEarth: The Living Planet
    * Smash T.V.
    * Spanky's Quest
    * Super Baseball Simulator 1.000
    * Super Castlevania IV
    * Super Conflict
    * Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
    * Super Mario World
    * Super R-Type
    * Super Tennis
    * U.N. Squadron
    * Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

pyromosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Don't know how accurate the information is, but according to GameFAQs, Zelda:LttP came out in April 1992 and the SNES came out (in the US) in August 1991.

Thanks for the list pyromosh. Of the games that were listed, F-Zero, Super Mario World, FF4, Zelda:LttP, Super Castlevania IV, Sim City, and U.N. Squadron are all personally favorites of mine with some of the other games evoking pleasant memories as well. True, the SNES did have the advantage of being released in the US nearly a year after the Japanese release, but even still, that's a mighty fine early lineup.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    pyromosh wrote:

*snip*
    How is it that 15 years from that, with 3 new consoles, there weren't half as many good games in 2006.

Seriously, wtf.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    pyromosh wrote:

*snip*
    How is it that 15 years from that, with 3 new consoles, there weren't half as many good games in 2006.

Seriously, wtf.

Considering it only took a team of five guys to make most of those games where as todays games can take upwards of 100 it is pretty easy to imagine why.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    pyromosh wrote:

*snip*

Seriously, wtf.

Um...Zelda:Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, Oblivion, Gears of War, Okami, Final Fantasy XII, Guitar Hero 2, New Super Mario Bros., Bully, Kingdom Hearts 2, Lego Star Wars 2, Elite Beat Agents, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Dead Rising, Loco Roco, Viva Pinata, Valkyrie Profile 2, need I go on?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    I think Zelda: LttP came out in a November. It may have been the November the year after the SNES launched, which I guess would technically put it within a calendar year.
    it's kinda sad that i read that as "Zelda: Late to the Party"
    :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png