As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend] Gifted an iTunes card, what apps are good for the Touch?

MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
Hello,

I am a cheapskate. I like my apps free and plentiful.

Recently, though, someone gave me a $25 iTunes gift card, and I haven't the slightest idea what to use it on.

What games are good on the Touch? Is there anything really useful that could be had for a couple dollars that I just can't live without? Let me in on the secrets of the paid app world.

sig.gif
MHYoshimitzu on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zenonia is an awesome kinda-Zelda-like action RPG. Zenonia 2 is even better.

Space Miner is fantastic. Picture Diablo and Asteroids having a sweet sweet baby together.

Plants Vs. Zombies is amazing. If you don't like it you have no soul.

iBlast Moki is a great puzzle game.

Angry Birds is hilarious fun. Others will recommend Crush The Castle first, but Angry Birds has a far better sense of humor.

Tiki Towers is basically World of Goo for iPhone.

Space Invaders: Infinity Gene is all sorts of awesome.

If you liked Puzzle Quest, it's available on the iPhone. Sword and Poker is a similar game, and is excellent. If you like Puzzlers, there's also Peggle and Bookworm.

And if you liked Afterburner, then you'll enjoy Top Gun.

Let's Golf is pretty much Hot Shots Golf for the iPhone. Another awesome game.

Seriously, there are a ton of great games for the iPhone. I have 46 games on mine, and almost all of them are great fun.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd actually call iphone games "kinda fun". They're far from GREAT, IMO.
    Those you mentioned are passable enough. Nothing exclusive really comes close to the good DS and PSP games, though, to stay within a portable context. Of course, you can buy 10 iphone games with those 25 bucks, while you'd be lucky yo get ONE for the DS.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A lot of them are great, actually. I realize the limitations of the device (lack of physical buttons), but that has made developers think a bit to get some creativity into their games. And yea, they're cheap.

And honestly, aside from bringing my DS to PAX for Mario Kart, I've barely used my DS in the past year. The games on iPhone/Touch are that good if you give them a chance, and it's easy enough to carry around. The DS and PSP are bricks in the pocket.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zombie Attack - I still play this more than any other Touch game I have. It has a demo.

You can now get Final Fantasy 1 and 2 as well.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    A lot of them are great, actually. I realize the limitations of the device (lack of physical buttons), but that has made developers think a bit to get some creativity into their games. And yea, they're cheap.

And honestly, aside from bringing my DS to PAX for Mario Kart, I've barely used my DS in the past year. The games on iPhone/Touch are that good if you give them a chance, and it's easy enough to carry around. The DS and PSP are bricks in the pocket.

Oh I gave them a chance alright.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png