Options

Stan Lee is a Credit Thief...

13»

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LRG wrote:
    "Spider-Man No More!" Yeah, yeah, duh.

But that was after being Spider-Man for years, Raimi Spider-Man couldn't have been in the game for 2 years tops and he's already bitching.

You have amazing powers, dude, grow a pair.

"Spider-man 2" really should have been "Spider-Man 4"

I'll say it agian, Spidey is not a pussy.

Actually, I've been getting comics in the mail that are reprints of old Spidey stories from the Stan Lee era.

And yeah, he really does bitch endlessly.

Furu on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LRG wrote:

But that was after being Spider-Man for years, Raimi Spider-Man couldn't have been in the game for 2 years tops and he's already bitching.

Maybe if it were a TV mini series, or some kind of show. You only have so much time in a movie to move through, what, sixty years of comics? So you choose the story lines that are the most powerful, and Spider-Man no more is one of those.

Besides, have you read spider-man? I mean, he's a pretty depressed guy. Just because he makes jokes doesn't mean he's happy. Most of the time his inner monologues are all about how he isn't good enough, how he lets everyone down. He's preoccupied with his failures, and doesn't recognize his triumphs. See, that's what makes him an interesting character. He does have fun with his powers, but there's more to him than some geek swinging around saying "woohoo! I'm Swinging around with super powers!". In the movies you see him having fun and being funny, but there's got to be more to it than that.

You have to mix that up, or he just becomes a shallow character. Don't forget that the entire motivation behind the character concept is that his selfish desires got his father figure killed. He feels responsible for that, and he always feels responsible when something bad happens. That's quite a heavy load to bear. It might even be more masculine than "growing a pair" and not having a care in the world.

Langly on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    Langly wrote:
    In the movies you see him having fun and being funny

No you don't.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fuck that, I've read all the Lee/Ditko issues, and Pete's definitly not above some whining, he's pretty neurotic and only about 15-19 in those stories, but he's actually got a pair unlike the fucking Raimi version.

He did quit when Doc Ock beat his ass the first time and well, Aunt May was sick alot, but most of the time when Peter Parker ran into real life trouble, he's become Spidey to kick some ass or at least web-swing to get his mind together.

Raimi Spidey gave up way too fast. Not to mention the many close-up monologues with pianos playing in the back.

Yeah, that movie pisses me off.
    Furu wrote:
    LRG wrote:

I'll say it agian, Spidey is not a pussy.

Actually, I've been getting comics in the mail that are reprints of old Spidey stories from the Stan Lee era.

And yeah, he really does bitch endlessly.

Bullshit. He bitched, but not endlessly.

Okay, you said the Lee era and not Lee/Ditko, that opens it up some, with Gwen and everything, but Spidey was never such a massive puss like he was in Spider-Man 2.

LRG on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Seriously.

The whole point of Spider-Man (and most Marvel characters) is that this is a normal, everyday guy who has the decision thrust upon him to use his accidental powers in an ultra-responsible and ultra-generous way. He's not supposed to be able to juggle everything perfectly. A lot of people have trouble managing two jobs to pay for their living expenses. Now imagine if your second job was risking your neck every day and it didn't pay squat. You wouldn't be all smiles and testosterone, either.

Hey... Remember that guy who said Stan Lee sucked? That guy sucks.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Look, all I know is that I have a book right next to me where Spidey decides to pick a fight with the entire Fantastic Four because they're more popular than him.

I'm a big Spider-Man fan but the fact is originally he was a whiny, petty, annoying little bastard.

Furu on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Langly wrote:

No you don't.

So do the massive amounts of one-liners and times when he's swinging around goin' "wheeeeeee this is so much fun!" not count?

Langly on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Stan Lee's created some good characters, but what about the actual stories he's done? What's the definitive Stan Lee story?

Is there one?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Peter Parker I know can take the good with the bad.

I'm not saying he's a complete testoterone case, I'm just saying that there is a certain amount of confidence and humor that comes with having all the powers of a damn spider. But theres got to be the obvious frustrations that come along not with just normal life, but the life of someone who has to play hero.

It's a balance that I think Stan gave the character that is vital; you focus on one side too much and it's just not as good.

Defintive Stan story? I'll have to think on that.
    Furu wrote:
    Look, all I know is that I have a book right next to me where Spidey decides to pick a fight with the entire Fantastic Four because they're more popular than him.

I'm a big Spider-Man fan but the fact is originally he was a whiny, petty, annoying little bastard.

Amazing Spider-Man #1, at the begining of the story "Spider-Man vs. The Chamelon"? He went looking for a job! Anyway, that'd be more of a dick move than the act of a crying pussy.

LRG on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    Langly wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Langly wrote:

No you don't.

So do the massive amounts of one-liners and times when he's swinging around goin' "wheeeeeee this is so much fun!" not count?

What one liners?

I remember one. "Here's your change" from Spider-Man 2.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    IMDB gives us a few in their memorable quotes section.

But not as many as I would expect.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah Tobey McGuire is a half good Spider-Man, half awful Spider-Man.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Yeah Tobey McGuire is a half good Spider-Man, half awful Spider-Man.

Tobey's a very good actor, but as has been stated before, his comedic timing sucks. Some actors just have a natural aptitude for comedy; physical stance, voice tone, timing. Tobey McGuire has none of that, as far as I can see.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    CaptainApocalypseCaptainApocalypse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    McGuire is indeed a decent actor, but between his acting and the script for the movies, Spider-Man is even whinier that he is in the comics. He does a decent Peter Parker though.

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The spider-man movie was not nearly as good as I had hoped, but not nearly as bad as I had feared.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    McGuire is indeed a decent actor, but between his acting and the script for the movies, Spider-Man is even whinier that he is in the comics. He does a decent Peter Parker though.

I think the film script is mostly to blame. The SM2 videogame showed that Maguire can deliver comedy ("A hidden door behind a bookcase? Mysterio, you brilliant fiend!"). It's just that the scriptwriters (and I suspect Raimi) don't want comedy in there.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rociel wrote:

I think the film script is mostly to blame. The SM2 videogame showed that Maguire can deliver comedy ("A hidden door behind a bookcase? Mysterio, you brilliant fiend!"). It's just that the scriptwriters (and I suspect Raimi) don't want comedy in there.

No way. Have you seen any of the Evil Dead movies? Raimi eats and breathes comedy. He grew up on the 3 stooges. I don't think it's all his fault. I am sure they told him not to make it too upbeat, since it IS Spider-Man. Spider-Man has always been full of angst. Just seeing it for a continuous 120 minutes has made it more noticeable.

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Stan Lee's created some good characters, but what about the actual stories he's done? What's the definitive Stan Lee story?

Is there one?

the galactus arc in fantastic four

Zavian on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I hate this thread and everyone in it. It is a waste of internet space.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:

Is there one?

Probably Spider-Man's origin.
    Personally, though, I don't think the people writing comics when Stan was in the game were going for deep, meaningful peaces of art so much as they were shooting for popcorn flicks that'll sell.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know if Stan Lee wrote them, but there are two very early X-Men comics (i.e., among the first 20 or so) where Beast plagiarizes Asimov's Foundation.

One of them is the first Savage Land story.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    thebovrilmonkeythebovrilmonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bull. There is nothing Spider-Man can do to make Superman even flinch. But let's not get off topic. This is for hating on Stan "The Tard" Lee. We can get into crossovers in another forum.

I'm pretty sure that if Spider-man got a bunch of hobos to teabag Superman while he was asleep, he'd at least flinch when he woke up halfway through.

thebovrilmonkey on
    Liquid Cow
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Bull. There is nothing Spider-Man can do to make Superman even flinch. But let's not get off topic. This is for hating on Stan "The Tard" Lee. We can get into crossovers in another forum.

I'm pretty sure that if Spider-man got a bunch of hobos to teabag Superman while he was asleep, he'd at least flinch when he woke up halfway through.
    You joined to post that?

..... :|

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The only thing I think Stan Lee ever did wrong was not letting the Major Victory win Who Wants to be a Superhero.

Major Victory was a male stripper by day. Worst. "Hero". Ever. :cry:

One word:

Stripperella.

Stan kicked Major Victory because he'd already created a stripper superhero.

Inx on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Inx wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The only thing I think Stan Lee ever did wrong was not letting the Major Victory win Who Wants to be a Superhero.

Major Victory was a male stripper by day. Worst. "Hero". Ever. :cry:

One word:

Stripperella.

Stan kicked Major Victory because he'd already created a stripper superhero.

Well spoken.

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • Options
    thebovrilmonkeythebovrilmonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

You joined to post that?

..... :|

I joined for a number of reasons, but that was the only post I made before work started getting busy.

That comment came from a pub discussion about what was the worst thing someone with no kryptonite could do to superman - I didn't think it'd be too far out of place here, given the level of some other comments in this thread. :roll:

thebovrilmonkey on
    Liquid Cow
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Uncreditable Hulk

Newtron on