As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2nd Annual Post-PAX Party at The Taphouse! WE'RE SOLD OUT!

178101213

Posts

  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    [

    How would people feel about having a box in front of each prize, and putting your ticket into the box you want? Only one ticket, but at least you're vying for a prize you want instead of a prize you don't.

    Even if you did more than one ticket, it's up to the ticket holder to define what prizes they feel they want. They go into it knowing that they can try for x amount of prizes, but the first time they're called, that's it. So, they may not get their #1 prize, but they get something they wanted.

    Then you get the hilarity of them winning their #1 prize AFTER they won their #3 prize and saying "Sorry, no returns or refunds!".

    Maybe that's just funny to me, though...mostly because this is the kind of luck I generally have.

    beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    i like the idea of dropping your raffle ticket in the hat (or whatever) for the prize you are most interested in winning. However, I would also be sad to have to make that decision of which prize I actually want a shot at winning. It's a toss up, whatever Arco decides is best works for me!

    Kjeldor on
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I find the box idea interesting and I'm all for the single ticket thing with it, that way Arco or someone else doesn't have to keep track of who already won something. Also, not to imply that every PAX goer isn't as honest as a saint, but there will have to be someone keeping an eye on the boxes and prizes so nothing walks off or is sabotaged.

    Steel Fire on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just wonder if you will end up with one box have a multitude of tickets and then a couple of prizes having no tickets at all.

    MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That mostly depends on the variety. Personally I can't play RTS to save my life, so a game like Starcraft is wasted on me. I doubt I'm the only person like this who will be attending.

    Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Skeith wrote: »
    Personally I can't play RTS to save my life, so a game like Starcraft is wasted on me.

    Ditto. I'm sure there will be someone there who would want whatever niche prize you can find. Like in my case, I'd rather have a $10 copy of Final Fantasy IX for the PSP over a $100 Collector's Box of SC2. Stupid Sony for not taking my credit cards. I'M TRYING TO THROW MONEY AT YOU!

    strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Will doing the box thing actually speed anything up?

    We'd still need to take a look at the prizes and put the ticket in whatever one we want, and you'd still have to draw for every prize and announce who won.

    I think it adds on some time to the setup and lead in to the draw while saving some time by not having people say they don't really want the prize, being more or less a wash in the end.


    I figure you should just do a draw and whoever wins wins, if they have it already they can give / trade it with someone else, or sell it on ebay I suppose. that collectors edition starcraft box goes for a fair bit on ebay so if someone has the game already (I don't have a copy) they could sell it and use the cash they get to buy like 5 other games that they don't currently have (or spend it all on copies of Mass Effect 1 and 2).


    You could always just hold the raffle after the event or before it as well, when things are less hectic.

    Or you could do it online via e-mail, or what have you.

    You could also have people draw for prizes themselves as they enter, have a ticket in there for each prize you have and then put "sorry, you did not win" tickets until you reach a number of tickets equal to the number of attendees, have each person draw as they come in, and they get what they get, if they already had something they could try again, but risk the chance of getting (or I guess you could let them keep trying until they didn't get a sorry try again thing)

    umm, that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

    Juc on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Juc wrote: »
    Will doing the box thing actually speed anything up?

    We'd still need to take a look at the prizes and put the ticket in whatever one we want, and you'd still have to draw for every prize and announce who won.

    I think it adds on some time to the setup and lead in to the draw while saving some time by not having people say they don't really want the prize, being more or less a wash in the end.


    I figure you should just do a draw and whoever wins wins, if they have it already they can give / trade it with someone else, or sell it on ebay I suppose. that collectors edition starcraft box goes for a fair bit on ebay so if someone has the game already (I don't have a copy) they could sell it and use the cash they get to buy like 5 other games that they don't currently have (or spend it all on copies of Mass Effect 1 and 2).


    You could always just hold the raffle after the event or before it as well, when things are less hectic.

    Or you could do it online via e-mail, or what have you.

    You could also have people draw for prizes themselves as they enter, have a ticket in there for each prize you have and then put "sorry, you did not win" tickets until you reach a number of tickets equal to the number of attendees, have each person draw as they come in, and they get what they get, if they already had something they could try again, but risk the chance of getting (or I guess you could let them keep trying until they didn't get a sorry try again thing)

    umm, that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

    We wouldn't be switching to the boxes for speed. They would probably slow things down, but only marginally. The difference is reaching into several boxes instead of one box. That's negligible, imo. We'd be doing the box thing so people were only in the running for prizes they wanted, which is something several people have voiced concerns about.

    One of the things I like about it is that if everyone has their raffle ticket and has to come up and choose a box, it makes everyone more a part of the raffle. You have to go up and peruse the prizes. I like that.

    Personally I'm also of the opinion that the original, simple idea would work, but people have voiced enough concern for me to visit other options. /shrug

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eh, just go with what's simple and works. Everyone gets 1 ticket and 1 prize. If someone gets something they don't want or can't use they can either pass on the prize (and their chance to win) or take it and do whatever they want with it (regift, return for cash, use as a skeet shooting target, etc).

    Sageheart on
    Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not a huge fan of the "one person, one ticket, choose which prize you want to try for" approach. I'd rather leave luck to luck and see if I win something at random than try to make an educated guess as to which prize I both want and others might not want as much.

    Besides, it's more fun listening for my number for a dozen things than it is for one thing.

    Rius on
  • Options
    TeenychickaTeenychicka Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yea, I like the original way best.

    Rius implied it best in that there will be less interest in the smaller prize draws. Some people may even duck out after their box has been drawn, knowing they cannot win anything.

    I think it's more fun to be excited right down to the very last prize :)

    Teenychicka on
    8502184533758290.gif OH YEAH!
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's like last year! I really wanted that TRON dvd but I also really wanted the..... you know, I don't remember much else about last year's raffle. But still.

    Rius on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You really wanted the 1990 something Playboy no doubt.

    Wormdundee on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Christ, that's right, there was a Playboy. Why was there a Playboy? Was it, like, Kerrigan on the cover? lol.

    Rius on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    It's like last year! I really wanted that TRON dvd but I also really wanted the..... you know, I don't remember much else about last year's raffle. But still.
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    You really wanted the 1990 something Playboy no doubt.

    hehe, both of those were prizes i donated :mrgreen:

    edit:
    Rius wrote: »
    Christ, that's right, there was a Playboy. Why was there a Playboy? Was it, like, Kerrigan on the cover? lol.

    it was a duplicate of one i already had.:P

    TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Put me down in the OG camp. I like winning random objects I don't need, dammit! :)

    rufo on
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I vote for the original style of drawing on this one.

    LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

    8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Didn't we raffle some button with blinking lights thingy that Arco happened to be wearing at the time? My recollection is that the exchange went:

    ARCO (drunkenly): Anyone else have something to raffle?
    MOB (equally drunkenly): That thing on your shirt!
    ARCO: Okay, this thing goes to... 0814!

    Weenog42 on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's basically how it went, yeah. lol. Who ended up getting that thing?

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    honestly as long as people can keep drinking I'm not sure what's wrong with a slightly longer raffle.

    Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I vote we do a standard raffle. No need to mix shit up here, especially since a lot of us will be unfocused and maybe incapacitated.

    DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raffle comment and questions:

    I like the boxes in front of the prizes idea where the players choose how many tickets to put in each box. My question is
    about the tickets themselves. Will all my tickets have different numbers? If so I will have to keep all my ticket stubs
    and read through all of them when the numbers are called. Is there a way to give a person 10 tickets that all have the
    same number on them? Then I only need one ticket stub and I only have to check one number when the winning
    numbers are being announced.

    Rock Band questions:

    Arco have you found someone to provide the console, game, cables and instruments? Are you sure they will actually bring
    them? How long has it been since you have spoken to them? I want to make sure you are not left in a Rock Bandless lurch.

    mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Raffle comment and questions:

    I like the boxes in front of the prizes idea where the players choose how many tickets to put in each box. My question is about the tickets themselves. Will all my tickets have different numbers? If so I will have to keep all my ticket stubs and read through all of them when the numbers are called. Is there a way to give a person 10 tickets that all have the same number on them? Then I only need one ticket stub and I only have to check one number when the winning numbers are being announced.

    I believe if this route was taken, each person would only get 1 ticket, so you would have to choose wisely as to which prize you wanted to try and win.

    Kjeldor on
  • Options
    burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think your original idea is the simplest. Also it's probably best to start it earlier into the party rather than later so you too can relax the rest of the night :).

    Prizes are great and all but people are going to have more fun just hanging out so the quicker you get through it the better imho.

    burnttoast45 on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think we're going to go with the standard raffle. It's just easier and requires less effort on my part, which is good. The raffle tickets are all different numbers, no way to change that with the tickets I've got.

    As far as Rock Band... I do not have anyone in place for that yet.

    If you've got a 360 with a good amount of DLC and Rock Band instruments, and they're going to be with you at PAX, I'd love if you'd donate them for the evening. We promise to take good care of them. Please let me know. Wireless is heavily preferred over wired for obvious reasons.

    Also if you've got another console with some good multiplayer games and enough controllers, we have a 120" projector and a 50" HDTV with your name on it. Let me know if you can offer them up. Again, wireless is preferred.

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Someone should bring an N64 and Goldeneye.

    No Oddjob!

    Rius on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    Someone should bring an N64 and Goldeneye.

    No Oddjob!

    i never understood the appeal of goldeneye. i could never get into it . . . controls like shit, but then that's the fault of the controller.

    TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's definitely not such a good game anymore.

    Wormdundee on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    It's definitely not such a good game anymore.

    They're remaking it for the Wii. I'm excited. But yeah, just doesn't stand up against games like Halo and CoD.

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    It's definitely not such a good game anymore.

    They're remaking it for the Wii. I'm excited. But yeah, just doesn't stand up against games like Halo and CoD.


    There is already a remake of it for the PC on the source engine for anyone needing their GoldenEye Fix.

    /threadjack

    RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could bring my Wii and wavebird controllers. I don't have much multiplayer to offer beyond Smash Bros. Although if we had that and Mario Kart, I don't see what else we could possibly need. Double Dash was always my preference, if someone has it.

    Weenog42 on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    I think we're going to go with the standard raffle. It's just easier and requires less effort on my part, which is good. The raffle tickets are all different numbers, no way to change that with the tickets I've got.

    As far as Rock Band... I do not have anyone in place for that yet.

    If you've got a 360 with a good amount of DLC and Rock Band instruments, and they're going to be with you at PAX, I'd love if you'd donate them for the evening. We promise to take good care of them. Please let me know. Wireless is heavily preferred over wired for obvious reasons.

    Also if you've got another console with some good multiplayer games and enough controllers, we have a 120" projector and a 50" HDTV with your name on it. Let me know if you can offer them up. Again, wireless is preferred.

    Why specify the Xbox 360? Are you an Xbot Arco?

    mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am, but I suppose it could be any of the systems. I'd prefer a 360 or a PS3 over a Wii because of the graphics, and also because the Wii doesn't have the RB1 content. Does the PS3 have the RB1 content? I honestly don't know.

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    I am, but I suppose it could be any of the systems. I'd prefer a 360 or a PS3 over a Wii because of the graphics, and also because the Wii doesn't have the RB1 content. Does the PS3 have the RB1 content? I honestly don't know.

    I think all the PS3 is missing is some of the Rock Band Network content.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Limited PlayStation 3 support was announced starting on April 22, 2010. Due to limitations with Sony's store system, Harmonix would initially be able to offer 5 songs weekly, selected based on popularity as well as balance of genre and bands from the existing Network library from the Xbox 360; Harmonix is currently working to expand this number

    mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    As far as Rock Band... I do not have anyone in place for that yet.

    If you've got a 360 with a good amount of DLC and Rock Band instruments, and they're going to be with you at PAX, I'd love if you'd donate them for the evening. We promise to take good care of them. Please let me know. Wireless is heavily preferred over wired for obvious reasons.

    Do they have internet available at the Taphouse? I got ~900 songs for Rock Band, but I'd only be able to bring my drive. So if internet is there (which I doubt), I can jut bring the drive and someone else can handle the rest of the tools.

    strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    As far as Rock Band... I do not have anyone in place for that yet.

    If you've got a 360 with a good amount of DLC and Rock Band instruments, and they're going to be with you at PAX, I'd love if you'd donate them for the evening. We promise to take good care of them. Please let me know. Wireless is heavily preferred over wired for obvious reasons.

    Do they have internet available at the Taphouse? I got ~900 songs for Rock Band, but I'd only be able to bring my drive. So if internet is there (which I doubt), I can jut bring the drive and someone else can handle the rest of the tools.

    I'll ask.

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    As far as Rock Band... I do not have anyone in place for that yet.

    If you've got a 360 with a good amount of DLC and Rock Band instruments, and they're going to be with you at PAX, I'd love if you'd donate them for the evening. We promise to take good care of them. Please let me know. Wireless is heavily preferred over wired for obvious reasons.

    Do they have internet available at the Taphouse? I got ~900 songs for Rock Band, but I'd only be able to bring my drive. So if internet is there (which I doubt), I can jut bring the drive and someone else can handle the rest of the tools.

    I'll ask.

    Can't you just do what we are doing on the WCTT and use a cellphone?

    TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    As far as Rock Band... I do not have anyone in place for that yet.

    If you've got a 360 with a good amount of DLC and Rock Band instruments, and they're going to be with you at PAX, I'd love if you'd donate them for the evening. We promise to take good care of them. Please let me know. Wireless is heavily preferred over wired for obvious reasons.

    Do they have internet available at the Taphouse? I got ~900 songs for Rock Band, but I'd only be able to bring my drive. So if internet is there (which I doubt), I can jut bring the drive and someone else can handle the rest of the tools.

    I'll ask.

    Can't you just do what we are doing on the WCTT and use a cellphone?

    What goes on, on the WCTT is awfully complex and difficult to manage. Plus, as we've seen in years past, it isn't all that reliable. It could be done, but if the Taphouse has a wifi hotspot or ethernet in the walls, why bother?

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    What goes on, on the WCTT is awfully complex and difficult to manage. Plus, as we've seen in years past, it isn't all that reliable. It could be done, but if the Taphouse has a wifi hotspot or ethernet in the walls, why bother?

    the reason it isn't that reliable on the WCTT is cuz we have it set up on a moving train. internet would be more stable if we were stationary.

    TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    What goes on, on the WCTT is awfully complex and difficult to manage. Plus, as we've seen in years past, it isn't all that reliable. It could be done, but if the Taphouse has a wifi hotspot or ethernet in the walls, why bother?

    the reason it isn't that reliable on the WCTT is cuz we have it set up on a moving train. internet would be more stable if we were stationary.

    A valid point.

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
This discussion has been closed.