As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2nd Annual Post-PAX Party at The Taphouse! WE'RE SOLD OUT!

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    What goes on, on the WCTT is awfully complex and difficult to manage. Plus, as we've seen in years past, it isn't all that reliable. It could be done, but if the Taphouse has a wifi hotspot or ethernet in the walls, why bother?

the reason it isn't that reliable on the WCTT is cuz we have it set up on a moving train. internet would be more stable if we were stationary.

A valid point.

Yeah you don't really need a cell phone booster when you are in downtown Seattle. Not to mention most restaurants that offer free WiFi make you go through a web page were you accept their TOA before you get internet which might be a bit of a pain on a device with no web browser.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just keep in mind that you'd need a STRONG signal, as the xbox in question would be underground. Almost directly under the street, if my orientation is right.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well. PayPal tried to limit access to my funds because I couldn't prove my identity. That was fucking scary. The person on the phone said that I wouldn't have access to them until they were released 180 days from now, but apparently this really important, inflexible, unreversible process can actually be reversed quite easily by talking to a supervisor and demanding access to your money. All $5400 for the party and raffle withdrawn, and PayPal can fuck off. I'm never dealing with them again.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually Arco, there is a good side to paypal (for future reference) you can order a paypal card that works just like a debit/mastercard using the funds in the paypal account.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't think the debit card would work with my account "permanently limited" for no reason.

Arco on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, there's a reason alright. The reason is that if you were less adamant about pursuing the matter, it's free money to them.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Oh, there's a reason alright. The reason is that if you were less adamant about pursuing the matter, it's free money to them.

Fucking PayPal. Seriously. The dude was just like, "Oh, we'll give you your money back after 180 days." Like he expected me to be like, "180 days? Shucks. Well, I guess those are the rules... sigh... "

Arco on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While they earn interest on 5.4k for six months, no doubt. Really, you couldn't "prove your identity"?

Rius on
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, I almost hate to add yet another random thought about the raffle, as I am (like several others seem to be) a fan of the original "everyone is in for every prize, but when you win one, you're out" plan.

That said, if the length of the raffle is an issue... is there any reason we have to do the whole raffle at one time? The prizes could be raffled off one at a time, starting with the "smaller" prizes relatively early in the evening but spaced out until the big prize at the end of the night. That way people only have to stop what they're doing for 2-3 minutes at a time, which ought to prevent the momentum from slowing down too much.

Of course, the biggest down side I see with that, Arco, is that you would have to stop what you're doing every 30 minutes or so to raffle off the next item, and that would kind of suck for you. I'd hate for the host to be continually tied up with this and not having any fun... Maybe split the prizes into three groups so each raffle is more like 7-10 minutes long instead of one big 20-30 minute raffle?

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Teletheus wrote: »
    Of course, the biggest down side I see with that, Arco, is that you would have to stop what you're doing every 30 minutes or so to raffle off the next item, and that would kind of suck for you. I'd hate for the host to be continually tied up with this and not having any fun... Maybe split the prizes into three groups so each raffle is more like 7-10 minutes long instead of one big 20-30 minute raffle?

I thought about that, and came to the exact conclusion you came to. It's really not even an issue with me being tied up. To be honest, I was tied up most of the night last year. I still enjoyed myself. The problem is actually with stopping the party. Everyone has to be paying attention and checking their tickets, and it's difficult to grab the attention of 130+ drunk people (while also drunk myself). I don't want to have to do that more than once. So while the idea is good in concept, it's bad in execution. :D

Arco on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How about if you pre-draw the raffle numbers and write them on a board someplace, and some time during the night you can have a "Reveal" and people can check the board when they have the time and come collect their prize at their leisure? Then you don't have to stop the party at all?

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »
    How about if you pre-draw the raffle numbers and write them on a board someplace, and some time during the night you can have a "Reveal" and people can check the board when they have the time and come collect their prize at their leisure? Then you don't have to stop the party at all?

That's not a bad idea at all. The other problem with the raffle is how time consuming it is, and that would diffuse that problem, as well.

Interesting. I'll put some thought into this.

Arco on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »

I really like this idea. Good thinking.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think what I'm going to do is put a big sign/board up with the raffle winners, but not mention what prize they won. That way there's still some suspense. :D

Arco on
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think what I'm going to do is put a big sign/board up with the raffle winners, but not mention what prize they won. That way there's still some suspense. :D

I really like this idea. I can only think of a few reasons why something like this isn't used more often:

1. Trust issues with the people running the raffle and feeling confident that the winners are truly chosen randomly. The people I've encountered at PAX are universally awesome, though, and I trust Arco to keep things on the up-and-up.

2. If people spend money on multiple tickets, there's the possibility of someone winning multiple prizes... but as long as we stick by the same rules (i.e., one prize per person and if you win a second, it goes to someone else), I don't see any reason why it can't work that way if it's preselected.

3. It does mean more work for Arco, in that he has to preassign numbers/tickets to everyone (instead of just handing them out at the party), then draw winners, then make sure that nobody's won multiple prizes. This is the sort of thing that is probably a bit easier when one just hands out tickets as people come into the party (and you can see the same person coming up to pick up prizes two or three times if someone wins more than one).

That said, if Arco's willing to do the extra work to do this, it's a pretty great concept.

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hang on, why does he have to preassign numbers to people? He should only have to preassign numbers to prizes, and then just hand them out to people as normal right?

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't even preassign numbers to prizes. The roll of raffle tickets is a double roll - two identical tickets, with identical numbers. I tear them apart, put one ticket in a big bag, and one ticket into the little envelope I'm going to give everyone (which also has your bracelet and a letter of thanks). I do this for every attendee.

Everyone has their ticket in their envelope, and I draw out a ticket per prize from the big bag with all the tickets in it. I'll write the winning numbers on the sign/board and keep the prizes somewhere safe for people to retrieve.

Also, no one's running the raffle but me, and everyone only gets one ticket. There's no option to buy multiple tickets.

Arco on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You could do it in a spreadsheet fairly easily, too. Since the numbers on the rolls are sequential, you can just type the first two ticket numbers in the first two rows in column A, =RAND() in the first two rows in column B, then autofill to the last ticket number, and finally sort rows by column B.

Err... sorry, my nerd showed there.

rufo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Though I never shy away from tackling a problem with way too much nerd than is really required, it just wouldn't be a raffle without a big bag/bucket/hat/basket full of tickets.

Arco on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, but there's something to be said for watching a random number generator on a big projector. Bonus points if you can get one that does one digit at a time with an animation of numbers flickering by.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Yeah, but there's something to be said for watching a random number generator on a big projector. Bonus points if you can get one that does one digit at a time with an animation of numbers flickering by.

I do like this idea.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    As far as Rock Band... I do not have anyone in place for that yet.

If you've got a 360 with a good amount of DLC and Rock Band instruments, and they're going to be with you at PAX, I'd love if you'd donate them for the evening. We promise to take good care of them. Please let me know. Wireless is heavily preferred over wired for obvious reasons.

Do they have internet available at the Taphouse? I got ~900 songs for Rock Band, but I'd only be able to bring my drive. So if internet is there (which I doubt), I can jut bring the drive and someone else can handle the rest of the tools.

I'll ask.

Can't you just do what we are doing on the WCTT and use a cellphone?

What goes on, on the WCTT is awfully complex and difficult to manage. Plus, as we've seen in years past, it isn't all that reliable. It could be done, but if the Taphouse has a wifi hotspot or ethernet in the walls, why bother?

So what's the verdict on this? Should I worry about bringing my hard drive? I haven't seen anyone else offer up their gear so far. I mean, I could get crazy here and try and find a Pelican box to bring all my gear, but the crazy logistics and size requirements of checked baggage would probably be more hassle than it's worth. Though I'm not completely ruling it out if we have to.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not really stressed about it. It's usually pretty easy to find someone with Rock Band gear at PAX. I have Rock Band gear and a 360 with lots of DLC, so worst case scenario I bring mine. I'm driving up, so I wouldn't have to worry about baggage handlers wrecking my stuff.

Arco on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Psst arco, check your PMs

deveric on
  • Options
    JekhtJekht Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Damn saw this thread way too late. Guess me and my buddy will see some of you lot in the main bar area. At what time does the private area turn public this year?

Jekht on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, I have an extra ticket. I'm waiting to hear back from Arco on what I can do with said ticket, and as soon as I hear, I'll post something...maybe

deveric on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Anyways, as I posted earlier, I heard back from arco. I do have an extra ticket.

Paypal would be best method, I will forward you the email with the PDF attachment for you to have as a record. Arco said he could coordinate everything.

Anyways, cost of the ticket is $40, plus $5 donation to the gift pot. Please PM me and copy Arco on it, to coordinate the exchange

Receipt for Order# XXXX
    ATTENDEE TYPE QUANTITY PAID
    Eric XXXXXX Ticket 1 $40.00
    Eric XXXXXX Raffle Donation 1 $5.00
    TOTAL $45.00

deveric on
  • Options
    BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    Someone should bring an N64 and Goldeneye.

No Oddjob!

i never understood the appeal of goldeneye. i could never get into it . . . controls like shit, but then that's the fault of the controller.

I hate to feed the flames, but you're not alone in that. I was busy playing Half-Life while some of my friends were into Goldeneye and I just couldn't understand the point. It felt like going back in time and playing Rise of the Triad.

Belgand on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Belgand wrote: »
    Someone should bring an N64 and Goldeneye.

No Oddjob!

i never understood the appeal of goldeneye. i could never get into it . . . controls like shit, but then that's the fault of the controller.

I hate to feed the flames, but you're not alone in that. I was busy playing Half-Life while some of my friends were into Goldeneye and I just couldn't understand the point. It felt like going back in time and playing Rise of the Triad.

I used to go over to a friends house and four of us would play Goldeneye multiplayer until our eyes bled. I then started playing Quake 3: Arena, and basically couldn't play Goldeneye anymore.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay. The menu order has been put in and finalized. This year you're going to be gorging yourselves on:

Assorted Cheese & Crackers Platter
    Hummus Platter with Pita, olives, and Roquefort Tomatoes
    Assorted Sushi and Nigiri Platter
    Grilled beef tenderloin with blue cheese and horseradish on baguette
    Tequila Chicken Tenders
    Spinach and Artichoke Dip

This is also a good opportunity for me to remind you, as requested by Lindsay and the Taphouse, to please only take one plate at a time, and that it's better to go back for seconds, thirds, or fourths, rather than take a mountainous plate of food all at once. One of the reasons we ran out of food so quickly last year was that people were taking huge plates of food and sometimes multiple plates of food, so the hits to the buffet were hard and sudden. If everyone spaces it out a little and only takes what they plan on eating, it will help the Taphouse keep up with the demand much better.

The Taphouse recognizes that the buffet was an issue last year, so they've pledged to work harder this year to meet our hunger-induced demands. They're also putting up two buffet stations, one in the Billiards Lounge and one in the Club Room, to thin out the line. Because they know what kind of group we are and how much we're going to eat, and especially how hard the buffet line will be hit on that initial run, they're going to be more adequately prepared this year.

I should also take this opportunity to mention that I'm bringing my 360 + Rock Band setup for the party, so we're going to have wireless RB 2 drums, a wireless RB2 guitar, a wireless GHWT guitar, and wired mic, plus Rock Band 1, Rock Band 2, Rock Band Beatles, and lots of DLC.

If anyone has another console with some good multiplayer that they'd like to offer up, just contact me. It will be greatly appreciated. We need 2 more consoles.

So yeah! About 3 weeks away! I'm super excited.

Arco on
  • Options
    JekhtJekht Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    deveric wrote: »
    Anyways, as I posted earlier, I heard back from arco. I do have an extra ticket.

Paypal would be best method, I will forward you the email with the PDF attachment for you to have as a record. Arco said he could coordinate everything.

Anyways, cost of the ticket is $40, plus $5 donation to the gift pot. Please PM me and copy Arco on it, to coordinate the exchange

Receipt for Order# XXXX
    ATTENDEE TYPE QUANTITY PAID
    Eric XXXXXX Ticket 1 $40.00
    Eric XXXXXX Raffle Donation 1 $5.00
    TOTAL $45.00

Massively tempted, and really generous offer, but there are two of us I don't want to screw over my friend. If there's anything we can do to both get tickets, please contact me, anyone. I realise that request is probably in vain, as there are limits to numbers for a reason, but I want to know that I've tried everything.

Jekht on
  • Options
    BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peremptory request; that everyone not go apeshit over how delicious "Carribean Jerk Chicken Tenders" sound and instead remember/take it from me that they were more like "Boring Underflavored Chicken Tenders".

But seriously, if we end up with chicken tenders again I'm going to get Pookie and we're going to burn this motherfucker down.

How did we end up with chicken tenders again? Are people afraid of flavor? I had a hard time choosing from all the delicious options and, in the end, chicken tenders makes the cut?

Plus, and I realize the dearth of vegetarian options, but we end up with dip as one of the platters?!? Compared to real food? I mean, I like artichoke dip, but c'mon people... this seems a little generic and weak. Pizza rolls are tasty too, but I can microwave up a batch whenever I feel like it.

Ah well, all that delicious dungeness crab is actually out-of-season anyway.

Belgand on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How did we end up with chicken tenders again? Are people afraid of flavor? I had a hard time choosing from all the delicious options and, in the end, chicken tenders makes the cut?

Might be better then eating mould.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peremptory request; that everyone not go apeshit over how delicious "Carribean Jerk Chicken Tenders" sound and instead remember/take it from me that they were more like "Boring Underflavored Chicken Tenders".

But seriously, if we end up with chicken tenders again I'm going to get Pookie and we're going to burn this motherfucker down.

But they're not Jerk Chicken Tenders, they're Tequila Chicken Tenders o_O

Rius on
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    People loves them some fried chikkin.

They weren't so bad last year. Besides, a lot of people like chicken tenders, regardless of how cardboardy and gross they are. There's other stuff there that you can eat, and realize that you're not the only one that will be there. :P

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the chicken tenders are the only thing i really saw as worth eating.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

That is true, it was Jerk Chicken Tenders which were mentioned as taboo, not Tequila Chicken Tenders.

Juc on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Juc wrote: »

That is true, it was Jerk Chicken Tenders which were mentioned as taboo, not Tequila Chicken Tenders.

Chicken is chicken. It's pretty hard to make chicken taste terrible, so it's a safe bet in most cases. Of course, I'm mostly in it for the booze, so I don't care much if it's not Chef Ramsey gourmet food anyway.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    so, no one else has a friend that needs a ticket or anything? still up for sale

deveric on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    deveric wrote: »
    so, no one else has a friend that needs a ticket or anything? still up for sale

I can't make it but Arco has my money to mail stuff back to me so should PM him or wait for him to see to see this post about filling my spot.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.