As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2nd Annual Post-PAX Party at The Taphouse! WE'RE SOLD OUT!

• Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    SurlyDuff wrote: »
    OK, I bought a ticket, and I've scanned the thread, and I didn't find the answer, so if this has been answered already, I apologize but...

How do we enter the raffle?

You get a raffle ticket as part of your admission price. It's not the kind of raffle where you buy tickets, and the more tickets you buy the more chance you have of winning. Everyone who paid to get in has one ticket, and everyone has the same odds of winning (1/130).

Actually, this raises another question... I'm assuming there will be quite a few prizes at the raffle, ranging from expensive cool stuff (like the SC2 collector's edition) to random donated DS games and stuff.

Are you going to raffle off the stuff in order from biggest-prizes to smallest-prizes? I mean, there doesn't have to be a set order or anything, just a general grouping.

It'd suck if someone won a drawing for something small and had to choose between turning down the item to get their ticket back in or passing up the chance at something big.

I always thought it was bad form to turn down a door prize, no matter what it was. I've won stuff at Christmas parties that I either already had or really didn't need. Like winning a Wii, even though I already had one, and then trading it for a wine fridge, even though I didn't really need it (but the single guy living in the barracks REALLY didn't need a wine fridge).

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SurlyDuff wrote: »
    OK, I bought a ticket, and I've scanned the thread, and I didn't find the answer, so if this has been answered already, I apologize but...

How do we enter the raffle?

You get a raffle ticket as part of your admission price. It's not the kind of raffle where you buy tickets, and the more tickets you buy the more chance you have of winning. Everyone who paid to get in has one ticket, and everyone has the same odds of winning (1/130).

Actually, this raises another question... I'm assuming there will be quite a few prizes at the raffle, ranging from expensive cool stuff (like the SC2 collector's edition) to random donated DS games and stuff.

Are you going to raffle off the stuff in order from biggest-prizes to smallest-prizes? I mean, there doesn't have to be a set order or anything, just a general grouping.

It'd suck if someone won a drawing for something small and had to choose between turning down the item to get their ticket back in or passing up the chance at something big.

I don't think the issue came up last year.

I'm not going to allow people to put their ticket back in. If you win something, it's yours. Your ticket is removed from the hat and we go on to the next prize. No holding out for something better. Now, if someone says, "you know what, I already have ______, so give it to someone else," that's entirely different. That's being magnanimous and charitable, and my heart would swell many sizes if someone did that.

Everyone's going to want the SC2 Collector's Edition and whatever other awesome prizes we give away; that's a given. The whole reason for the smaller prizes is so that people have a good chance of winning something, even if it isn't the big thing everyone wants.

If people were allowed to refuse prizes and hold out for something better, we'd be raffling all night; we'd give away the big prizes, then the smaller prizes would get refused and refused until there was one person who takes the "crappiest" prize and the raffle is finally over. That seems like a big waste of time.

It's purely luck no matter what; if you get drawn for the small prize and put your ticket back in, your odds of winning are pretty much the same the second time around. I'd rather not waste the time and energy.

As far as the order... naturally the big prizes will come last. That's how raffles always are, and it's to keep people interested, intrigued, and in suspense until the very end. I'll try and smatter some of the cooler prizes throughout so it's not a bunch of crap for 20 minutes that nobody cares about, though.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Makes sense.

I'm just curious, I wasn't expecting to win anything anyway.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Makes sense.

I said that my first Christmas party when I worked at Costco and won a Playstation 3.

Arco on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Makes sense.

I said that my first Christmas party when I worked at Costco and won a Playstation 3.

My wife said the same at a Christmas party once, while I swore up and down I was going to win something. She won some crappy Sandisk MP3 player. I won a laptop, printer, and router. Optimism is way better.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    I never used to win anything either. Then 8 years ago, I won free cedar point tickets off the radio while delivering pizza.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Only things I've ever won that I can recall were a lava lamp in 8th grade and 1500 Microsoft Funbucks from some xbox 360 online drawing.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The biggest thing I ever won was at a big local LAN party. Won at $4500 gaming rig. I remember hoping my name would come up.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I won a rock.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Did you have a piece of string to wind around the rock?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I won golf balls once. I haven't golfed in about 6 years.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The only other thing I've ever won was a $25 gift certificate to a tack and saddle shop when I was 6. I got a bitchin' canteen.

Arco on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    p55.jpg

I once won one of these at a LAN party.

Trust me, it wasn't that much of a prize.

rufo on
  • Options
    SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My luck with stuff like that is usually pretty crappy. Occasionally when the stars align and the fates aren't paying attention and I'll get lucky. Like when I was a kid I won one of those call-in prize things that was on during my after school cartoons. I won a Tiger handheld Spiderman game. I think I still have it somewhere...

Oh, and last year at PAX I actually won a $100 gift card from one of the booths that was doing name drawings. Of course that just means my good luck is all used up for another 5 - 10 years.

Sageheart on
    Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That website is horrible. I would expect that thing to somehow injure you.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    rufo wrote: »
    p55.jpg

WTF is that thing? It looks like a tent with a speaker attached.

Arco on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    p55.jpg

It is the PC version of the power glove only without the collectors value or being shown in a cool movie.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeenychickaTeenychicka Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha, my brother has that and it never did work properly.

Teenychicka on
    8502184533758290.gif OH YEAH!
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bet the only game that it works with is a creepy doujin game that was designed specifically for it.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    p55.jpg

It is the PC version of the power glove only without the collectors value or being shown in a cool movie.

If you click on the image it goes to a page with some videos and info. Essential Reality's site isn't up anymore though.

There were a few games that had special support patched in (Hitman 2 was bundled in the box, and Black and White also had support), but neither of them were all that great. Just by plugging it in it works as a mediocre mouse, too, so it technically worked with any game.

The thing did work to a point, but it was really glitchy - the finger bend sensors never worked all that well on my hand, and if you had any natural light in the room it seemed to confuse the IR sensor so it couldn't actually tell how your hand was moving.

Overall, it had the same problem some Wii games have - if a game isn't written from the ground up to support it, then it's just mapping buttons to motion, and guess which is easier?
    I could bring it as a booby prize. :P

rufo on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I could bring it as a booby prize. :P

This is a fantastic idea. Anyone got a Virtual Boy? D:

Rius on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    I don't know about the capacity, but it would cost about $35,000 to rent out The Taphouse. I asked already. :D

Haha, damn. Well, we're raising $5200 this year with 130 people so... Can they fit 875 people? D:

Maybe we should start looking at corporate sponsorship.

To comment on this, I think a small community driven event would be preferable to a large sponsored shindig. Unless that $35,000 includes all-you-can-drink "refreshments". Then I'm for it. :winky:

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whoa! Rad choice with the current big prize Arco! :mrgreen:
    Everyone's going to want the SC2 Collector's Edition and whatever other awesome prizes we give away; that's a given. The whole reason for the smaller prizes is so that people have a good chance of winning something, even if it isn't the big thing everyone wants.

I like this idea.
    The "You've won!" feeling is always great. Even for little stuff. And knowing how awesome PAXers are, I have no doubt the other smaller prizes will be just as sweet. :)

I've only won 3 things from contests (raffles) in my entire life. Dropkick Murphy's tickets, a Nexon Booth prize from PAX last year, & a small statue when I was 7. :P

Not to sound creepy or anything, but is it possible to win a hug? :3

Shiggles on
  • Options
    afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    p55.jpg

I was gonna go with a BowFlex for your mouse hand.

afeil117 on
    Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Everyone's going to want the SC2 Collector's Edition

Actually, this was one of my concerns when it was first posted. Are people really going to want SC2 about a month or so after it's been released? Everyone I know who wants a copy already has one and while I haven't picked up mine yet that's only because my computer is currently borked in a mysterious way and my girlfriend's laptop won't run it.

Likewise the issue also comes up about system compatibility. I presume that the raffle prizes have already been purchased, but do we have any numbers on what systems people have and such? When I was at a Rock Band party a while back and the grand prize was a copy of RB2 for XBox there wasn't much enthusiasm from my PS3-only household.

With things like this I suspect that we'll actually get a fair number of re-rolls.

One possible solution, though a bit tacky, would be to keep some gift receipts around if possible. That should help reduce the possibility that someone gets a prize that they want, but can't use in its current form.
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I never used to win anything either. Then 8 years ago, I won free cedar point tickets off the radio while delivering pizza.

I was the same way, but it's been working out recently in my favor. A few years back I was picking my girlfriend up from the airport when I the radio offered to put people on the guest list for a Ted Leo show that I'd wanted to go to, but could afford the $15.

Having won a copy of Street Fighter IV last year I suspect that my luck is more or less up for the time being.

Belgand on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, I bought a ticket for my wife, and she can't make it, Can I transfer this to a friend?

deveric on
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    deveric wrote: »
    So, I bought a ticket for my wife, and she can't make it, Can I transfer this to a friend?

My vote would be yes, as long as I count as your friend.
    My favorite color is blue, I have eleven siblings, and I work in customer service. I can add you on facebook too if that'll make it official.

I saw this thread way too late.

lemongrenades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey, I still want SC2, I pretty much never buy games day (or week...or month) one.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    deveric wrote: »

Sure. PM me with the relevant info.
    Belgand wrote: »

Everyone's going to want the SC2 Collector's Edition

Actually, this was one of my concerns when it was first posted. Are people really going to want SC2 about a month or so after it's been released? Everyone I know who wants a copy already has one and while I haven't picked up mine yet that's only because my computer is currently borked in a mysterious way and my girlfriend's laptop won't run it.

Likewise the issue also comes up about system compatibility. I presume that the raffle prizes have already been purchased, but do we have any numbers on what systems people have and such? When I was at a Rock Band party a while back and the grand prize was a copy of RB2 for XBox there wasn't much enthusiasm from my PS3-only household.

With things like this I suspect that we'll actually get a fair number of re-rolls.

One possible solution, though a bit tacky, would be to keep some gift receipts around if possible. That should help reduce the possibility that someone gets a prize that they want, but can't use in its current form.

Obviously I was being hyperbolic when I said that everyone would want it. Some people won't or will have already bought it. But being that it's not only the game, but the Collector's Edition with some seriously sweet extras, I still think it's a good prize.

As far as system compatibility: that's a reality we have to face as gamers, but I don't think it's anything special. You could win the wrong size boots in a snowboarding raffle, or concert tickets to a band you hate from a radio station. This is the nature of contests. I'm going to try and get a good selection of prizes, so hopefully everyone will want at least one of them, but I won't be able to completely please everyone no matter what I buy. I'm not going to try.

I will, however, try and get gift receipts for as many things as I possibly can. If you can't enjoy the prize itself, at least you'll be able to enjoy the value. Understand, though, that there are going to be prizes that won't have receipts because of where or how I bought them. Not everything is going to come from a store with a return policy.

Again, I'm not going to be allowing people to "reroll" on a prize. If your number comes up, you win that prize and you're not winning anything else. What you do with your prize is entirely up to you: you can keep it, sell it, return it, trade it, etc. From that point on it's yours. Allowing people to reroll adds complications, time, and effort that I'm simply not interested in, so we're just not going to do it.

Arco on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A thought: instead of raffling off each prize specifically, just raffle first pick, second pick, etc. First number picked gets first choice. If they want sc2 they get it, otherwise they get something they have a use for and the next number picked gets a shot at it. The process takes a bit longer, but more people wind up happy.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Let's not try to complicate it. The point is to go hang out and have some fun after PAX ends. The raffle is just icing on the cake. I think Arco is managing it with that though in mind and doing it right. He doesn't even have to do a raffle at future events, so don't aggrevate him.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    Let's not try to complicate it. The point is to go hang out and have some fun after PAX ends. The raffle is just icing on the cake. I think Arco is managing it with that though in mind and doing it right. He doesn't even have to do a raffle at future events, so don't aggrevate him.

Constructive suggestions are never going to aggravate me, and no one should be worried about aggravating me anyway. I'm just some dude like you guys. I put this together because I enjoy it and I'm proud of the finished product, and anything that can make it better is welcome, whether it comes from me or someone else.

That being said, your main point is absolutely correct. The raffle was a suggestion someone threw out last year that I thought was cool, so we cobbled together some prizes and gave them away. This year it's bigger and better, but it still remains a cool bonus. I'm not really that focused on it.
    One of the chief concerns with the raffle actually is time. Last year the thing took almost half an hour, I think, during which people weren't playing games, socializing, or drinking. Towards the end I was really flustered and rushed raffling them off, and people were starting to get antsy.

I'm working on a way to streamline the thing, and frankly I think I'm just going to steamroll through it and hand out prizes as fast as I can in order to let people get back to the fun. Thus, I'm extremely critical of anything that adds time and complexities to the process, which raffling "pick" of the prizes would certainly do.

I'm also wary of raffling off pick of the prizes, because I feel like that would be even harder to swallow than simply raffling off the prizes if someone were to feel disgruntled in the first place. It's kind of like White Elephant/Naughty Christmas. When people start jostling against other people for position in line, it becomes more of a competition and less of a fun activity. That's not the kind of vibe I want it to have.

So ultimately while I think it's a good idea that might merit more investigation, I don't think I'm going to adopt it.

Arco on
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, I guess I didn't word that the best. This is more what I meant by aggrevating you; by complicating things, not by the suggestions themselves. -
    Towards the end I was really flustered and rushed raffling them off, and people were starting to get antsy.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just another idea for this raffle thing, you could always just have all the raffle items on display on a table with little boxes in front of each, and let everyone drop their ticket into the box of the one they want the most. Then you have some super fast prizes to give away because there will inevitably be some that only 1 person wants, and no one gets anything they don't want.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    Sorry, I guess I didn't word that the best. This is more what I meant by aggrevating you; by complicating things, not by the suggestions themselves. -
    Towards the end I was really flustered and rushed raffling them off, and people were starting to get antsy.

Ahh, well I misunderstood also then.

The "box in front of the prize" thing is definitely interesting. The only thing that would stop me from doing that would be an actual, physical place to lay out all the prizes. I might check into this and see if it's possible. Can anyone think of any reason why this might not work out well?

Arco on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've seen this done before. I think it would work out, because people would only put their tickets in the prizes they wanted to win. I would suggest giving everybody a certain number of tickets, maybe equal to the number of prizes. So people could put one ticket in each box, or all of them in one. This way they still get a chance at every prize, if they should so choose.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I've seen this done before. I think it would work out, because people would only put their tickets in the prizes they wanted to win. I would suggest giving everybody a certain number of tickets, maybe equal to the number of prizes. So people could put one ticket in each box, or all of them in one. This way they still get a chance at every prize, if they should so choose.

I like this idea but it opens the possiblity of someone winning multiple prizes; and you know there'll be that one lucky bastard who walks away with 2+ prizes. :x

Sageheart on
    Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sageheart wrote: »

I like this idea but it opens the possiblity of someone winning multiple prizes; and you know there'll be that one lucky bastard who walks away with 2+ prizes. :x

I'm pretty sure Arco already said that it's one and done.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, but that was before the discussion of the boxes in front of prizes with the dropping of tickets in them came up.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    beta_angel wrote: »
    Sageheart wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Arco already said that it's one and done.

Ahh... that seems pretty obvious, so I don't know why I missed that before.

I don't want people winning multiple prizes. I want to spread it around as much as possible. So I'll only be giving one ticket out.

How would people feel about having a box in front of each prize, and putting your ticket into the box you want? Only one ticket, but at least you're vying for a prize you want instead of a prize you don't.

Arco on
This discussion has been closed.