As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2010 Info and FAQ Thread (ASK QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gerfiglmac wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »
    SYCOKALI wrote: »
    I'm new here and I apologize if I have written this in the wrong area or if it has been posted before. I have searched and didn't find anything about how I could become an enforcer, so can someone a mod or a member help me with the information needed? It would be much appreciated.
    BigRed wrote: »
    If (big IF) theres public applications this year (theres a lot of east enforcers coming over, its unknown at this point) the application thing will be on the front page of Penny-Arcade.

Just buy a badge, if theres enforcer applications and you get accepted you can get a refund.

Theres a strong possibility that no new enforcer applicants will be accepted for Prime.

I'm just curious. What will the decision to accept new Enforces be based on?

How many enforcers come over from PAX east probably.

200+ new enforcers were recruited for PAX East, so thats 200 people to pull from to fill any need for prime, assuming even half of them make the trek over and most of the prime vets (about 500 people) show up again.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My husband has been pestering the hell out of me for a few days now to find out if he will also have a shot at the Omegathon based on the fact that when I ordered our passes, I bought both in the same transaction. It doesn't bother me one way or the other, I just need something to tell him to hush him up. :p

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    gerfiglmacgerfiglmac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cool. Thanks BigRed. Now I've got a little more perspective on the matter. I would definitely jump right on any opportunity to help out, but I understand if you've got plenty of help already.
    Thanks.

gerfiglmac on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My husband has been pestering the hell out of me for a few days now to find out if he will also have a shot at the Omegathon based on the fact that when I ordered our passes, I bought both in the same transaction. It doesn't bother me one way or the other, I just need something to tell him to hush him up. :p

Feel free to tell him that you guys have just one chance out of the Omegathon. Gabe and Tycho randomly select the names of the participants from the list of those preregistered.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    heels wrote: »

Feel free to tell him that you guys have just one chance out of the Omegathon. Gabe and Tycho randomly select the names of the participants from the list of those preregistered.

I've often wondered about this myself.

Maybe it is Rules Lawyering, but from your reply it sounds like if I purchase eight pre-paid passes for me and my friends, we only have one "name" in the hat; but if I were to purchase eight individual passes, we would have eight "names" in the running.

The group discount doesn't kick in until we have ten people in our group (I checked) so it sounds like it might be a better alternative to buy individual passes.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Mori-nekoMori-neko Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I'm interested in signing on to Enforcers as well, specifically for backstage events. I've not done PAX before, but I've done a similar job for SakuraCon the last two years (in the same space), and have a lot of experience in live theatre. I know it's a bit of a longshot for you guys accepting anyone (it's a popular gig!), but I figured I'd throw my interest out there and see if it got me anywhere.

Mori-neko on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mentioning it on the FAQ wont get you anywhere :P

If the callout goes live to the general public, there will be a mention in the forums in a new thread and on the front page of Penny-Arcade with the enforcer application.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    heels wrote: »

Grr, Brian got here and read your reply before I did. Now he wants me to cancel our registration and re-register separately. >.< You guys need to lie to him that it's sold out or something. :p Or are passes still non-refundable?

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    winterswinters Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone know what the song is that plays during the PAX commercial before each Blamimation?

Thanks,
    Alex

winters on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not sure on the name, but the artist is Anamaniguchi. The song is on their album and I believe it's track 2 or 3.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anamanaguchi - Helix Nebula

nerve on
  • Options
    winterswinters Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Awesome, thanks to both replies! I have been wondering that for a long time.

winters on
  • Options
    YetieeYetiee Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I was just wondering if there are going to be more hand sanatizers at this years convention either the stand-up ones or small handouts. I am definatly going to bring my own hand sanitizer but I think if others had it they would use it also. Just giving my 2 cents.

Yetiee on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PAX east had them, but to my understanding they were provided by the con center. Wouldn't be surprised if the WSCTC has made a similar move.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hopefully some will be provided for anyone that forgets; the other option, I suppose is to "cosplay" as an H1Nerd1 victim from last year and wear a face mask or something. :p Actually, I'll probably suggest that to Brian, or else just do it myself at least part of the time. We both get sick easy. ;)

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yetiee wrote: »
    I was just wondering if there are going to be more hand sanatizers at this years convention either the stand-up ones or small handouts. I am definatly going to bring my own hand sanitizer but I think if others had it they would use it also. Just giving my 2 cents.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the booths gave out little bottles as swag. I know Blizzard did it in 09.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • Options
    merryprankstermerryprankster Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Is it normal to not have gotten a follow up e-mail from PAX pre-registration? I need to contact someone regarding the pre-registration packet and I see no e-mail anywhere on the site. It says that there is support info in the follow up e-mail, but I never recieved this. Just it take a while for them to get those e-mails out?

merryprankster on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    If you bought your pass, you should get an e-mail immediately. Have you checked your spam folder?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    If you bought your pass, you should get an e-mail immediately. Have you checked your spam folder?
    Also check your bank account. You may not have clicked "Ok" quite enough times :)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    KtuluKtulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hello,

Can anyone tell me what I can expect for the LAN? Besides tournaments what is there to do if you bring a computer?

Ktulu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The BYOC thread is a good read if you're interested in bringing your computer.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    AgrajagAgrajag Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I was considering making customized bottles of hand sanitizer to give away. Would these be well received?

They would most likely have obscene labels. I'm thinking of calling them Unicorn Cum or Satan Jizz. If I think hard enough, I may even be able to come up with something that isn't a bodily fluid.

Agrajag on
  • Options
    Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Agrajag wrote: »

I was considering making customized bottles of hand sanitizer to give away. Would these be well received?

They would most likely have obscene labels. I'm thinking of calling them Unicorn Cum or Satan Jizz. If I think hard enough, I may even be able to come up with something that isn't a bodily fluid.

Really?

Personally, I don't know that I'd accept a bottle of hand sanitizer from a stranger. But I've been called "paranoid" many times.

I would also strongly recommend against the names, considering PAX is a family-friendly event. You might find yourself in a heap of trouble if some kid gets a hold of a bottle of "Unicorn Cum" and his/her parents see it.

However, I like the direction you're going with it. If you included a safety seal and toned down the labels a bit so it won't offend anyone (but still kept them entertaining / humorous), I would think it would be okay. But in any case, I would, at the very least, double-check with an enforcer. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • Options
    AgrajagAgrajag Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    some kid gets a hold of a bottle of "Unicorn Cum"

"Daddy, what's cum?"

These kids have a right to know!

If anyone gets offended by the concept of unicorns enjoying themselves in a sexual way, then I'll have done the world a favor.

I would be terribly pleased with myself if I were kicked out due to an organized effort to locate the source of the unicorn cum.

Agrajag on
  • Options
    zfleemanzfleeman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Howdy,

Attending this year's PAX Prime would be a dream come true. Thing is, my buddy and I don't want to spend a whole bunch on lodging. Those who have previously attended, do you think you could recommend some cheap places to sleep that are a reasonable walking distance away from the convention center?

I really want to go this year, and I think where I sleep could be a nail in my PAX coffin.

zfleeman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would guess to check for room shares for the best value. :/

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Green Tortoise Hostel.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    Green Tortoise Hostel.

That's pretty far away isn't it?
    If you're ok with a walk, that's a great place to save money on accomodations.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's not very far, but it is on an annoyingly steep hill.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's 7 blocks. The hill wasn't so bad that it created a problem for me last year, but it's still a hostel.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Shadowhunter79Shadowhunter79 Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    My brother and I are staying in a hotel about 10 miles away, but its cheap something like $39 dollars night. we figured even with paying for parking for the day it was still a good deal.

Shadowhunter79 on
    [
    SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aerazaeraz Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    So I got a new credit card about a month ago. Bought pax tickets, and my graduation cap and gown for the UW (Wooot). Now I have suspicious activity on my account with a card I've used twice! Any chance anyone else is having the same issue after buying PAX tickets? Or perhaps its the ol' dubya trying to get at more money now that I am no longer paying tuition.

aeraz on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've never heard of any problems of people being charged more than the necessary amount for their tickets. What does it say on your statement?

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    ValasharValashar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Due to the death of a close friend, I will not be able to attend PAX Prime this year. However, I had already preregistered for two 3-day passes for the event.

My question is this (as I haven't found the information on my ticket print-outs, email, or on the site FAQ):

Is it possible to get the price of the two passes refunded through the folks that do the registrations?

If so, where would I look for contact information?

If not, is there anyone who would have an idea how I could make the two passes available to someone else who will be attending and had not preregistered as of yet.

I can't keep too close an eye on forums the next few days while funeral arrangements and the like are taking place, but any information on these questions would be appreciated. Just drop me a PM, please.

Valashar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Check your confirmation email, I believe it was mentioned that there is an address to contact in there about refunds.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    rwmorris2rwmorris2 Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Anyone putting together the 3rd annual triwizards tournament and drinking extravaganza? I haven't seen any posts about it yet. Last year was amazing - go House Slytherin!

rwmorris2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Atlus Parker is hard at work on the tournament. Please be patient.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    zfleeman wrote: »
    Howdy,

Attending this year's PAX Prime would be a dream come true. Thing is, my buddy and I don't want to spend a whole bunch on lodging. Those who have previously attended, do you think you could recommend some cheap places to sleep that are a reasonable walking distance away from the convention center?

I really want to go this year, and I think where I sleep could be a nail in my PAX coffin.
    Sixth Avenue Inn was $105 for double queens and is 5-6 blocks away, but I don't know if they are not booked yet. Investigate online and talk to the hotels too, sometimes hotel gives better price. It is definitely worth going to.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hml151 wrote: »
    zfleeman wrote: »
    Howdy,

Sixth Avenue Inn was $105 for double queens and is 5-6 blocks away, but I don't know if they are not booked yet. Investigate online and talk to the hotels too, sometimes hotel gives better price. It is definitely worth going to.

Barring that, The Moore Hotel might be worth a shot. Distance is about the same, stayed there last year and it was decent enough.

MrBartokomous on
  • Options
    bluerobbluerob Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Right now, pretty much anytime you watch an episode from PATV, you will get a commercial before the episode starts, advertising the PAX DVD.

I wanted to know what music was used in this commercial? It's really cool! Someone please tell me!

bluerob on
This discussion has been closed.