As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meals of War

Kaptain HKaptain H Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hello everyone. I was lurking my way around and the funny "Bears of War" image caught my eye. It reminded my of a holiday Gears of War image I made awhile ago.
This was pretty fun to draw, and the game continues to be pretty fun to play, so I started a short comic series called Gardeners of War. Gears of War meets Viva Pinata, and hilarity ensues. I'll post that some other time.

Meals_of_War.jpg

Kaptain H on

• Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like the art style.

I just can't imagine Pinatas getting chewed up by a chainsaw.

'OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED CHEWNICORN!'

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Inzigna wrote:
    I just can't imagine Pinatas getting chewed up by a chainsaw.

'OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED CHEWNICORN!'

Oh it's not as bad as all that......................OR IS IT??

Thanks by the way.

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Those are some nice clean cuts, there.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the art ain't too bad.

The conept is getting old though.

<Random Word> of War

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    GinnyGinny Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the art ain't too bad.

<Random Word> of War

World of Warcraft of War

GO!

Ginny on
    -Ginny*-
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the art ain't too bad.

<Random Word> of War

War of War.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the art ain't too bad.

<Random Word> of War

War of War.

This was already done in G&T of war.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oddly, my circle of friends came up with the exact same idea of combining Viva Pinata and Gears. My friends want me to make them a faceplate with Coletrain chainsawing the water lady in half with confetti and candy spewing out of the wound :S

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    We haven't done anything with their chainsaws yet in the comic, but it'll come up eventually I'm pretty sure.

Thank you for all of your comments. In return, you can look at my dedication to the late great Carmine.

Tremble in fear at my rather obvious lack of useful references!

carmine.jpg

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hmmmm... this last one shakes my opinion in your skills.

You should pay more attention to your stuff. The first one was decent. This one not so much.

Pay more attention too anatomy, proportions and composition. This one smacks(c) of lazines.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well isn't that interesting? It was a quick sketch sans references in between homework, and so I knew I was being lazy with line work and coloring. But anatomy, proportions, and composition? Well, that's a scoop! Please go on!

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I sense sarcasm

tynic on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Really? I don't sense anyth....oh. Ohhhh. There it is.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I accidentally entered AC and clicked on this thread, funny picture as I hate ham. lol

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    JoeMushashiJoeMushashi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    dubious idea aside, I like the actual picture, the splatter and frenzy of the angry guy cutting the ham captures the feel of the game

I almost prefer the second though as its more energetic

JoeMushashi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I accidentally entered AC and clicked on this thread, funny picture as I hate ham. lol

I know what you mean. That's what's so great about people like Marcus, who can not only see through the facade of one's delicious outer glaze and delicate-yet-robust cured flavor to their underlying evil, but can act on it appropriately.

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get a sense of the chainsaw actually moving. Without the meat, I wouldn't even think it was on

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I agree, Kewop. I was going to add motion blur to the blades, but got lazy figuring it wouldn't make much of a visual difference anyway. I'll update the pic, and thank you for your specific criticism.

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kaptain H wrote:
    ...and thank you for your specific criticism.

You shut up.

The reason you got general crits on the second pic is because there is so much wrong with it, it would take longer to write out the crit than it took you to draw the damned thing. Dont expect anyone to put effort into a crit if you dont put the work into the drawing first. No one should care about your work more than you, and based on what you said, you dont seem to care much at all besides getting crits on your slop.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sublimus wrote:
    Kaptain H wrote:
    You shut up.
    Blah blah angry angry

Well someone's a little volatile.

http://www.wsmisch.com/archive
    lol

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kaptain H wrote:
    Sublimus wrote:
    Kaptain H wrote:
    You shut up.
    Blah blah angry angry

lol

lol wtf bbq, so what exactly is the purpose of that link? Is that to confirm that you "care about your work", or something? Everything that I clicked on in there sports many of the same problems as the second picture you posted here. The only thing the link did for me was to solidify the idea that although you may take pride in your work, you still have lots of problems with it that you may not be addressing...a few specific problems that Ravenshadow posted up top.

Just because you posted a piece of art and wrote "I didn't use a reference and it was quick" next to it...doesn't mean that we're all going to think, "OOOOH...that's why. Nevermind!"

It means we're going to think, "Oh, it looks like he doesn't understand anatomy/proportions/composition well enough to do it from his head, relatively quickly. I should probably suggest he work on this in the future so he can get better."

When people post here, they do it for critiques. Even in the "doodle" thread, where people throw down quick sketches, critiques are given. Even considering the fact that many of those pieces are done quickly, and without reference. Doing something quickly isn't really the end-all excuse for not recieving critiques. People who really know what they're doing can make quick sketches of things, and still have the anatomy, composition, etc correct/aesthetically pleasing. It just means you haven't gotten there yet, and that's why we're critiquing you.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kaptain H wrote:
    Sublimus wrote:
    Kaptain H wrote:
    You shut up.
    Blah blah angry angry

lol

lol wtf bbq, so what exactly is the purpose of that link? Is that to confirm that you "care about your work", or something? Everything that I clicked on in there sports many of the same problems as the second picture you posted here. The only thing the link did for me was to solidify the idea that although you may take pride in your work, you still have lots of problems with it that you may not be addressing...a few specific problems that Ravenshadow posted up top.

Just because you posted a piece of art and wrote "I didn't use a reference and it was quick" next to it...doesn't mean that we're all going to think, "OOOOH...that's why. Nevermind!"

It means we're going to think, "Oh, it looks like he doesn't understand anatomy/proportions/composition well enough to do it from his head, relatively quickly. I should probably suggest he work on this in the future so he can get better."

When people post here, they do it for critiques. Even in the "doodle" thread, where people throw down quick sketches, critiques are given. Even considering the fact that many of those pieces are done quickly, and without reference. Doing something quickly isn't really the end-all excuse for not recieving critiques. People who really know what they're doing can make quick sketches of things, and still have the anatomy, composition, etc correct/aesthetically pleasing. It just means you haven't gotten there yet, and that's why we're critiquing you.

that is Sublimus' archive.

Kaptain, if you post shit on this board and people tell you it's shit, and you know it's shit, the last thing you should be doing is getting pissy and defensive about it. Post things are are worth posting, or at least mention in your posts containing shit that "hey, this is a quick sketch" and mention maybe what about the picture you are looking for crits on - if you don't want any, don't post it.

edit: The first picture is awesome even if the chainsaw doesnt look like it's moving. The second picture isn't even worth critting honestly, so even general ones are above what you should expect.

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    that is Sublimus' archive.

Kaptain, if you post shit on this board and people tell you it's shit, and you know it's shit, the last thing you should be doing is getting pissy and defensive about it. Post things are are worth posting, or at least mention in your posts containing shit that "hey, this is a quick sketch" and mention maybe what about the picture you are looking for crits on - if you don't want any, don't post it.

edit: The first picture is awesome even if the chainsaw doesnt look like it's moving. The second picture isn't even worth critting honestly, so even general ones are above what you should expect.

Whooooooooooops. :oops:

Good Lord, sorry, heheh...

Well, I've seen some really good work from Sublimus (things I didn't click on in that link) so concerning his work, at least, he seems to be on the road to improvement, and I know he cares about his work and asks for critiques on it.

The rest of my post still stands concerning the OP though.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, I think I'd have to agree with Nightdragon, for the most part at least.

I kid, I kid. But seriously, I didn't want to be lured into a lengthy rant, so I just simply suggested that if someone is going to critique me, that they make a serious and specific one. I really didn't see anything wrong with my "proportions, composition, and anatomy" of my second pic. But hey, if you do, fantastic, but please go into a bit more detail. Rather, I think the person in question looked at it for a split second and gave a generic negative catchphrase, which isn't very helpful.
    And secondly, seriously, it was just for fun. Call it crap if you want, but you are acting like I drew someone shotgunning your mother. What a strange forum!

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    this thread needs more shotguns.

I think it is assumed here that when you post things outside the doodle thread or without stating it, that you are posting serious work and want crits on it - so it is likewise assumed that things posted for crits have work put into them and are cared? for.

People correct me if I'm wrong as I have yet to actually post my work since I never have time for art :(

I also know, that when people post negative crits and the artist reacts negatively or defensive, that person gets reamed - sometimes more than others.

Do post more serious work - I like your stuff :D

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kaptain H wrote:
    :roll:

There's so much wrong with the second one that telling you the heads are misshapen, etc, etc, ad nauseum, isn't going to be helpful.

Rather, paying more attention to anatomy, proportions and composition in your next one is helpful. Lest you think that the second one is good. Time is not an excuse.

Now post more art or STFU.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    Hellbound 17 1/2Hellbound 17 1/2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Methinks the "H" in Kaptain H is for "hypocrite"
    Kaptain H wrote:
    I just simply suggested that if someone is going to critique me, that they make a serious and specific one.
    Kaptain H wrote:

That little comment sounds “serious and specific” to me. :P

Hellbound 17 1/2 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hell: I think ND did a pretty good job of that for me. I'd rather avoid lengthy counter-rants and besides, that wasn't a critique of subliminus so much as my way of saying: "No, you shut up." Rude you give, rude you get.

drinkin: Thank you very much and duly noted, I will post fun stuff in the doodle thread.

Raven: You do have one good point: it's time for more art!

It's Baird from Gears of War, and he'll stay in that corner until he learns to shut up!

time_out.jpg

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This one is okay, the legs look really fucking weird though. Especially the knees, he's kinda got a goat thing going there. I dunno how finished this is, but some little things stick out too, like his over-rendered hair compared to the rest of the scene, or the under-rendered structure in the background.

This one is much better than the last one though, which didn't even look like it was done by the same artist.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    much better :)

his feet seem to lack depth and kinda look like stubs - and I don't know the materials of the armor but it doesn't look rigid at all (I havent played the game, so maybe it isn't) Also, the symmetry in the armor in general is way off - I'm not sure if it is supposed to be symmetrical, but I think it needs work either way - if it is supposed to be, then many details need to be worked out and if it isn't supposed to be then I think the differences should be made more apparent.

I'm assuming his eyes are supposed to be white :) but the goggles seem odd to me - can't pinpoint it tho.

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thank you for the advice and comments. I'm also disappointed in the background, which was done really quickly and sticks out compared to other areas where I applied more detail.

As for the pose, I did use a reference of someone squatting just like that, but maybe I didn't adapt it as well as I should have.

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really like the 3rd one a lot. I think that the right knee looks a bit awkward, almost as if the colors or style are off a bit? I think the background gives it a cool effect, but I do agree that the hair has a bit too much detail (much like in the actual game :-x).

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png