As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hunter] The Field Project

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jack looks into R4, and he sees...

Well, he might have braced himself for seeing something horrifying. He might not have been prepared for this.

It's a large laboratory, with a wide variety of various strange devices and machines centered around a large space in the middle.

In that space, on the floor, is a pregnant Indian woman in a hospital gown, like the ones you are wearing. She looks to be far along, maybe in her eighth or ninth month. There's a small amount of blood staining the gown between her legs.

More horrifying than this, is the fact that she's chained to the floor with what appears to be many fine golden chains. She's laying in some kind of... circle painted in something brownish-red. Dried blood, maybe? The circle is a series of letters in some language
    (Academics + Intelligence check to identify the language) that completely surrounds her and the chains she's bound with.

She's laying back, her legs purposefully spread apart by the chains, although the gown falls between them. She manages to look up at Jack, and begins pleading in heavily accented English.

"P-please! They... they did something to my baby! The m-men in the labcoats, they put something inside me. The monsters... the monsters got out, but they couldn't go in the circle, so they ran away. Please... please help me!"

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    (Occult + Intelligence will also give you some info, if you'd like)

Pony on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Ma'am, it's. . .it's going to be alright. Just stay calm, we'll try to get you out of there, just hang tight." Jack says, wincing at his unintentional pun.

Jack tries to remember where he'd seen those symbols before. (4d10.hitsopen(8,10)=1)

"Any of you recognize those symbols?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    golden chains oughta be a bit soft

what would i roll to break them?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "No idea, Jack. But from what I've seen so far it can't be good."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esmer is about to respond to Paul when she gets a glimpse inside the room. She darts into the room, and drops down beside the woman, reaching out a hand hold hers. "It's okay, we're here to help you," she says, earnestly.

She spins back around to face the group. "Can somebody get these chains off of her?" She smiles brightly at the woman. "It's alright. Everything's going to be okay."

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You have no idea what they say, but you know the symbols are in Sanskrit.

Even if you spoke Sanskrit, it's all gibberish.

It'd be an Athletics + Strength check to break the chains... if they didn't look so effortless to break. In fact, it looks like she's perfectly capable of breaking them herself, yet she seems to be struggling against them as if they're made of iron or something.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Lady... are you sure that you know what happened to you? Because when you give birth, this thing might kill you. What do you want us to do about it?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jack turns the radio back on, "Hello? Are you still on the line? There's a woman here, in R4. . .she's been chained to the floor, it looks like she's been bleeding."

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As Esmer walks over to the woman, she smudges the circle with her foot, rubbing out some of the letters.

You all faintly hear a very brief screeching chant in the air that seems to come from nowhere in particular. The language sounds like Hindi, although even if you speak Hindi it sounds like gibberish.

The woman gasps and looks up at Esmer "Thank you, thank you so much! Please, please get these chains off me!"

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hank's instict told her to start shooting her in the stomach, that she was dead anyway. His grip tightened on the pistol.

He couldn't do it.

Not like this.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Esmer glances back at the others before reaching down to pull off the chains...

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "GET AWAY FROM HER!" Jack shouts. "We don't know what she is. . .she could be another one of those things in disguise.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hank snaps the chains with very little effort. As he does so, the woman stands up.

More accurately, she floats to her feet, without touching the floor, and her eyes become yellow and vertical-slitted, like a cat's.

Her voice takes on a purring rumble and her teeth are replaced by fangs.

"Thank you, kind gentleman. I will remember this."

Her belly recedes, to the point that she looks like she was never pregnant at all. Then in a flash of dust and light, she vanishes.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Get ahold of yourself Jack."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Esmer spends a moment staring blankly at the area where the woman had been.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Oh no." Jack whispers.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hank's attitude changes as soon as the woman vanishes. He chambered a round into his pistol and had a look in his eye like he was ready to shoot something.

"Shit! I hope that means she's not around here anymore!"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo slowly removes his finger from the trigger as the monster turns to dust. Time had slowed down to where each second seemed like a year as the creature lunged at Jack. But now that it was over, time seemed to speed up, everyone talking and chattering at speeds he can't understand.

"God damn I need a drink...", He rubs his face and walks into the room. Turning white, he immediately does an about face and watches the hallway to make sure nothing sneaks up on them.

"This is bad..."

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He rubs his temples for a moment, sighing. "Alright. Can we please not be too sympathetic to every single thing we see? Remember the whole 'things are not as they appear in this hellhole' kind of thing?"

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "If we get outta here, Bo... I'm buying the drinks for all of you."

He winces at Paul's words.

"Fuck... this place is so fucked up I don't know what's real and what isn't... but what would you have done, Paul?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "I'm holding you to that Hot Seat...", He glances back and forth down the hall, "I know impatience is a sin, but could we please start getting to somewhere safer?"

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "On the plus side," Esmer says quietly, "she's probably not gonna try and kill us. I mean, we helped her, right?"

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I should have taken Jack's SMG and unloaded it into her guts, thought Hank, I shoulda acted on instict. This ain't right... it's a prison... it's about survival now.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Don't count on it, Esmer."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thumbing the radio again, Jack ruefully reports, "Listen, Parsons, if you can hear this. . .that creature in R4. . .it's gone. We're going straight to your team's rendezvous point and awaiting support."

"No more detours, everyone, no more distractions. We are going, now."

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "What we said ten minutes ago? What? That I just kill everything that looks weird? Remind me."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Little lady, we are going to have a long talk about trust when we get out of here...", Bo steps out into the hallway and begins slowly heading down towards the rendezvous point. He keeps his eyes and ears open for anything that could be ready to leap out at them.

Anything I should roll? I have Danger Sense too

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "No, that we don't trust anything in this facility for what it is. No one else still blinking a God damn eye that a Vampire, or whatever the fuck that monster was, exists? What the hell else could be here? None of us fucking know." It was getting very clear Paul was getting annoyed with the "leap first" approach.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The lettering is certainly Sanskrit. Whatever else it was, you're sure of that. It seemed like it had been binding... whatever that was, along with the gold chains.

When Esmy breached the circle, and Hank ripped the chains, the thing was able to get free, and appears to be gone now.

The room? Well, the room was obviously studying this thing, but not just this thing. A series of metal containers, wrapped in chains and covered in strange symbols in a variety of languages, are also in this room. However, they appear to be opened and empty.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Alright Paul. You do the thinking. You think I should go back and butcher up the Doc that got bit?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "This room was designed very specifically for containment of various things, which we all could of guessed."

He kicks part of the circle.

"This giant circle was made to bind whatever the hell was here. It's dead language. Biblical."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Well we fucked up, then. What now?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Look, they're already sending a team down here. If we're going to trust anyone, I'd rather talk to the guys who may have a shot in hell of keeping us alive. And I bet they went through a damn fine expense to bring us back. I doubt they're going to just kill us when we're so friendly as to release whatever the hell was here. They'll know whether to off the scientist or not."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "They think, however, we're from that team. And, based on the looks of things, I highly doubt they'll think we killed them. I'm not sure sure if they'll take so kindly of us stripping them of their weapons."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "So we wait for them here? They might not make it. And I'm not giving up this gun."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Strike the team comment.

"Then we start heading to them. Jack, do you know what areas are currently in the shit"

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bo sighs and glances back, "Look fella'a, I may be an uneducated country boy, but who says we save this conversation until after we get to a nice place called security checkpoint, instead of the little piece of hell we now call Monster Holding Cells?"

MoosehatIV on