As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I get better at FIFA?

limester816limester816 Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been playing FIFA 10 for 360 for the last month or so, and I think I've regressed. I can't figure out how to put a good drive together, find a guy downfield, or use any skill moves. Also, my defense is not great. I need help all around basically.

I love the game, but I'm a newbie at soccer, and would like to improve.

limester816 on

• LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm no expert, but here we go.

1. Practice against real people. This is the only way to learn.
    2. I don't use skill moves either.
    3. When you say "find a guy downfield", do you mean a long ball? Long ball is not a good way of building a drive together.
    4. Pass it around, work the wings to get upfield then pass it back into the middle. Don't be afraid to pass backwards. Anything where you keep possession is a good thing.
    5. When in doubt, go for a cross. Use the double-tap cross rather than the single-tap cross.
    6. Be unselfish... a lot of my goals come from drawing the keeper towards the player with the ball, then passing it to a free man who can just tap it in.
    7. Always use the weak-tackle button unless you're 90% confident a sliding tackle will work. If you are certain a goal is to be scored, the dirty tactic is to risk the red card and just go for the legs. I try not to use that anymore, but it does work pretty well, especially in the late minutes of the game.
    8. Up the team aggressiveness if you're trailing late in the game. For a 4-5 minute half, I would do this at about 65 minutes. If the other team is ahead, most players won't match the aggressiveness back, so they'll be on the backfoot for the rest of the match, which can be enough to put one away and draw level.

Lewisham on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did you try watching the in game tutorials? They're not bad if you've no idea what you're doing.

Tips:
    Skill moves are only useful in certain limited situations. Most of the time you're much better off getting around players with short passes.

Play two strikers up top and have them play off each other for easy goals.

I prefer to build up attacks with a lot of small passes. Make sure to look for the open man and don't pass to someone who will end up being boxed in by defenders.

On defense, don't just charge at the man with the ball. Run with him, cut off his passing routes and wait for a good opportunity to tackle.

oldsak on