As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Aliens versus Predator 3 - Set 17 - Kill mans...no wait don't

• Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween what is it with you and dead bodies?

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween what is it with you and dead bodies?

They're fun to poke/shoot ;)

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh, i can't wait to watch this... :D

valgomir on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Heh, enjoying this LP. Though I kind of miss Beard Man.

Seeing that woman marine get killed in part one of the new set made me laugh so much. "Don't relax now Rookie! You hear that?" and you're watching an alien walk right up to her to eat her face.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Subucula TertiaSubucula Tertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The aliens are real twitchy in this game. I guess the big dark secret about this planet is that the flash of light in the intro gave all the aliens epilepsy. Bad Lance Henriksen, bad!

Subucula Tertia on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    These aliens seem to be dumb as hell in comparison to AVP2 aliens. Those things were at least coming at you most of the time, and quickly. These aliens meander all around the place in the open, and fail to melee you to death.

Also, that squadmate of yours getting killed due to being oblivious to the alien was comedy gold.:D

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's no crouch button Hello.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's kind of disappointing that the facehuggers are no longer one hit kill wonders. That was one of the things that made them scary in the first two games. You heard that skittering that indicated that one of the little bastards was around and your paranoia was instantly ratcheted up to insane levels.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think if you knock an Alien on it's ass with your melee attack you can perform a "finisher" attack if you run up to it. I saw it on another playthorugh. Though it might've just been for the Alien, can't remember much of the Marine playthrough.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know the lighting's bad when a normal window to outside is "too bright."

And yeah, these aliens do seem to love just running in circles, right in front of you/NPCs.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And you gotta do Doom 3 now. I command it!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »

A slightly more intelligent and much scarier game to be sure.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think if you knock an Alien on it's ass with your melee attack you can perform a "finisher" attack if you run up to it. I saw it on another playthorugh. Though it might've just been for the Alien, can't remember much of the Marine playthrough.

That's for aliens/predators against knocked down opponents. The marine has no melee finisher, but hitting an enemy and staggering them makes them incredibly easy to shoot to death.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I humbly submit Shadowgrounds, either the original or Survivor. It's a top-down Doom 3 with less flashlight juggling and more shooting the shit out of rooms full of aliens. The first game even has a better club fight scene than this.

I think the wonky AI is just evidence that both the marines and the aliens are halfassing this, like they're just punching a clock and their hearts really aren't in it. Even the facehugger isn't feeling it, he's just all "eeehhhh I don't know if I wanna do the whole 'implant a chestburster in this guy' thing, can't I just scratch him a bit and call it a day?" It's too bad, really.

Least the shotty's finally around. Shotty'll straighten these guys out.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shadowgrounds is a pretty fun top down shooter, and does a decent job of mimicking Aliens for a little while. It even has Co-op, up to 4 players on one PC, or I think internet co-op.

The facehugger is almost pointless to have in this game if it can only do one block of damage to you. All that'll ever happen is that it'll scare someone once, and then get handgunnned, unless you're careless and forget to heal after a fight

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Also, I hated the marines in this game so much as every 5 seconds with one around all you hear is "Don't let your guard down" and 5 seconds later "Don't let your guard down!".

And then 5 seconds later "Don't let your guard down!".

It was at that point I knew they had to die.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, I was googling for the names of the other characters from AvP2 (Bruce, Frosty, and the other one. Preston?) and I found some hits mentioning Helloween4545 on some furry message board. Luckily, it's not Helloween but some fan of his who put a quote in his sig.

Anyway, these alien movements are damn sporadic. Even more so than the last game, where it seemed like they just swarmed you all the time.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, I was googling for the names of the other characters from AvP2 (Bruce, Frosty, and the other one. Preston?) and I found some hits mentioning Helloween4545 on some furry message board. Luckily, it's not Helloween but some fan of his who put a quote in his sig.

Anyway, these alien movements are damn sporadic. Even more so than the last game, where it seemed like they just swarmed you all the time.

Aww thats not on.

These time they are just...dim. They have no clue, which is a real shame to be honest.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wait until you have to deal with the marines.

"Don't let your guard down"

"Don't let your guard down!"

"I've got movement!"

"I've got movement!"

"I've got movement"

This is a rough approximation of what playing both the Alien and Predator campaigns can be like.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You mean they get fucking dumber? Now THAT doesn't seem "on" (btw, love the phrases "That's not on" and "You right bastard", because I am not British and those sound delightfully foreign to me)

Cause so far, we've had Redshirt 1 yell about not letting her guard down as she tries to molest the wall with her face in the same room as the alien who Helloween is shooting rapidly at. "Don't relax!" and all that.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    You mean they get fucking dumber?

They are definitely not the definition of "smart" but they do have pretty solid aim (and the alien is a glass cannon). What I'm meaning is that they have certain phrases that they will say CONSTANTLY over and over. It can drive you insane listening to them yell "Don't let your guard down" every 5 seconds. I started killing them ASAP (which becomes hilariously easy with the Predator once you get a certain bullshit full weapon) just so I wouldn't have to hear "Don't let your guard down" anymore.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »

They are definitely not the definition of "smart" but they do have pretty solid aim (and the alien is a glass cannon). What I'm meaning is that they have certain phrases that they will say CONSTANTLY over and over. It can drive you insane listening to them yell "Don't let your guard down" every 5 seconds. I started killing them ASAP (which becomes hilariously easy with the Predator once you get a certain bullshit full weapon) just so I wouldn't have to hear "Don't let your guard down" anymore.

Killing marines? I can live with that. Those right bastards.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Helloween wrote: »

Killing marines? I can live with that. Those right bastards.

The best part of the game by far is how nasty some of the melee grab kills are. Once you pop your first marine you won't stop. There are a good variety of them as well as there are different kill animations for the front and back. Sadly I don't think it's possible to see any Alien vs. Predator ones in the game (but they are in multiplayer).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    But even then, aren't they just canned animations that repeat over and over, and allow your other enemies to wait until you are finished before destroying you?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    But even then, aren't they just canned animations that repeat over and over, and allow your other enemies to wait until you are finished before destroying you?

Yeah they are fixed animations, however you can be killed in the middle of doing them so they aren't "I win" buttons. If you try doing a stealth kill and get caught doing it by another enemy, they will easily kill you. The worst part of this though is some of these are exceptionally fast while some are VERY slow. There is no indication how fast/long it will be. So you can perfectly stealth takedown an enemy, only to have the alien/predator take ages with it and get caught by another enemy and killed. So the actual animation you get can make a huge difference to the difficulty of some levels as the alien/predator.

Edit: A good example is in the alien campaign with several marines in a maze like arena. I passed this without taking any damage or being seen because every kill was the most rapid. In another similar example, I took out every enemy but the last 2 by stealth, was killing the last one in one of the longest animations and got "seen" while doing it and killed before I could do anything (so I had to restart the entire section again). So it can be frustrating and a bit of a crapshoot at times.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I gotta admit i started watching with hate but after seeing the really fluid ADD aliens i gotta say its looking a little better. I loved the wall blasting you did against the aliens running on the ceiling haha reminded me of the second mission in AVP2 when it gets fucking nuts.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yeah they are fixed animations, however you can be killed in the middle of doing them so they aren't "I win" buttons. If you try doing a stealth kill and get caught doing it by another enemy, they will easily kill you. The worst part of this though is some of these are exceptionally fast while some are VERY slow. There is no indication how fast/long it will be. So you can perfectly stealth takedown an enemy, only to have the alien/predator take ages with it and get caught by another enemy and killed. So the actual animation you get can make a huge difference to the difficulty of some levels as the alien/predator.

Edit: A good example is in the alien campaign with several marines in a maze like arena. I passed this without taking any damage or being seen because every kill was the most rapid. In another similar example, I took out every enemy but the last 2 by stealth, was killing the last one in one of the longest animations and got "seen" while doing it and killed before I could do anything (so I had to restart the entire section again). So it can be frustrating and a bit of a crapshoot at times.

Right, that's what I was afraid of. The animations end up just wasting time. We all played the MP demo. There were chains of people waiting to QTE one another.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    QTE death conga lines have been a thing ever since Gears of Wars chainsaw.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Subucula TertiaSubucula Tertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait until you have to deal with the marines.

"I've got movement!"

"I've got movement!"

"I've got movement"

This is a rough approximation of what playing both the Alien and Predator campaigns can be like.
    But do they HOLD THE LINE?

Subucula Tertia on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Having never experienced a Helloween LP, I must say that this is delightful.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    so, i just started catching up with the LP....
    seriously, what is up with people? first everyone goes all like 'oh helloween, you must do AVP3!' and the moment you start it they all go 'boo, this game sucks ass!'.
    i think that was one of the reasons why they came up with the 3 month rule. you know, so people would know the game is a mess before they do / watch an LP of it and take it out on the LPer.

anyways.
    i'm not even done watching the first set yet; more feedback is about to come. i'll say this though: i'm sure as an LP this will be as great as any helloween LP was before. i mean, AVP2 was just unfair with the aim-of-god-people and everything, and now everyone's retarded. maybe they wanted to make up for the difficulties from 2....

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nobody is taking it out on the LPer, in fact I often watch LPs of games that are terrible like Sonic 2006 because I would like to watch people play such a game but I wouldn't want to play it. Same with AvP3, I only played the game because of the "three month" rule as I wanted to see it but I didn't really want to play it myself (but I decided to anyway). If I could have watched a let's play I wouldn't have played the game and tbh, watching the full LP could easily tell you why you shouldn't :P

But it will almost certainly be hilarious to watch.

Edit: AvP3 also has the aim of God actually.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Aegeri wrote:
    Edit: AvP3 also has the aim of God actually.

and no useful flashlight. oh helloween, you poor man :P

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I will concede they probably aren't as bad as AvP2, mostly because of the fact anything as alien can be solved with one particular attack. To be honest dying as the predator is almost impossible unless you fail to pay attention and once you get a weapon towards the end of the game you become invulnerable.

Spoilers for those who want to know
    Alien can use jump + knockdown and then quickly jump every marine. You can knock over all of them in short time and they take forever to stand back up. Repeat and slash them to pieces (but not grab) to wipe out all marines trivially.

The predator gets the combi staff. This is a thrown weapon in this game for some reason, but hilariously it lets you attack from stealth and doesn't reveal you and to cap it all off, it's 1 hit kill on just about everything. So you can spear everyone progressively without having to care if they can see you plus it comes back and it has ridiculous range as well. Given cloak isn't energy dependent it makes the game really easy as the predator can maul aliens in melee without any worry.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will concede they probably aren't as bad as AvP2, mostly because of the fact anything as alien can be solved with one particular attack. To be honest dying as the predator is almost impossible unless you fail to pay attention and once you get a weapon towards the end of the game you become invulnerable.

Spoilers for those who want to know
    Alien can use jump + knockdown and then quickly jump every marine. You can knock over all of them in short time and they take forever to stand back up. Repeat and slash them to pieces (but not grab) to wipe out all marines trivially.

The predator gets the combi staff. This is a thrown weapon in this game for some reason, but hilariously it lets you attack from stealth and doesn't reveal you and to cap it all off, it's 1 hit kill on just about everything. So you can spear everyone progressively without having to care if they can see you plus it comes back and it has ridiculous range as well. Given cloak isn't energy dependent it makes the game really easy as the predator can maul aliens in melee without any worry.

I used this weapon on the first set of enemies I came across after getting it then I didn't use it again. It really was a broken choice to make it as powerful as they did.

It felt like cheating.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To be honest dying as the predator is almost impossible unless you fail to pay attention and once you get a weapon towards the end of the game you become invulnerable.

Doesn't Helloween fail to pay attention all the time?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Give Helloween an overpowered weapon and he will find a way to die endlessly regardless.

Remember: Weapons don't kill ladders 8-)

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »

The whole way through these videos I've been thinking "This reminds me of Doom 3, but not as good". Which is saying something since Doom 3 is 6 years old now.

I also would love to see Helloween do D3 if he hasn't already played it, but I suspect he has.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys have no idea how much you sound like his youtube subscribers right now :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, now I feel dirty :(

Brovid Hasselsmof on