As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 – A quick license question

Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
If I were to buy a full retail non-upgrade copy of Windows 7, how many computers can I install it on? Is it just one? I’m hearing conflicting reports, and need to know for sure.

I’m building a new desktop and haven’t bought an OS yet. My laptop is still running the Windows 7 release candidate (yes it restarts itself every two hours), and needs to be upgraded to a full version.

Obviously it would be great if I could buy one retail box and install it to both computers at the same time. Is this possible, or do I have to buy a separate license for each one?

sigcx.jpg
Yellow Ranger on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think with the retail version you can install it to 3 computers or has 3 licenses. The OEM version only has one license and can only be used by that one motherboard.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What? No! Each retail copy is only one license, and can only be used on one PC concurrently. The only difference between a retail and OEM copy of Windows 7 is that the retail copy is transferable to a new PC, and the OEM version is not (unless you call Microsoft).

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Microsoft Office allows for 3 installs.

Microsoft Windows most definitely does not. The other difference between OEM and retail is that with retail MS provides limited support for it regarding installation.

travathian on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's always the Family Pack of Home Premium - that has three licenses. I heard a while back something about MS not doing the Family Pack in the US anymore, but I'm not sure. Otherwise, if you're a student, bam. That's still a single license, though.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What? No! Each retail copy is only one license, and can only be used on one PC concurrently. The only difference between a retail and OEM copy of Windows 7 is that the retail copy is transferable to a new PC, and the OEM version is not (unless you call Microsoft).

And the retail version gets phone support for 90 days, and the OEM version gets no phone support at all (because the OEM should be supporting you).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks everyone. Looks like two OEM copies will be the way to go. I was afraid it was only one per copy, but I guess it's not that bad. An OEM copy of Home Premium is $99 on Newegg so, eh.
    Cyvros wrote:
    There's always the Family Pack of Home Premium - that has three licenses. I heard a while back something about MS not doing the Family Pack in the US anymore, but I'm not sure. Otherwise, if you're a student, bam. That's still a single license, though.

$65 is a great price, but that seems to only be for the upgrade version of professional? Either way, I won't be a student until fall so that wont work for me. I bookmarked that though for the $59 Office 2007 Ultimate. That is a great deal.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you need to re-install the OEM version, give Microsoft a call and tell them you had a hardware failure and they will give you a new license. Your old license will become invalid.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cyvros wrote: »

That's probably what I was thinking of.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    $65 is a great price, but that seems to only be for the upgrade version of professional? Either way, I won't be a student until fall so that wont work for me. I bookmarked that though for the $59 Office 2007 Ultimate. That is a great deal.

It's possible to use the upgrade version to do a clean install. Of course, it's supposed to be used over an existing Windows XP or Vista install of some sort.

Cyvros on
This discussion has been closed.