As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] Ghost donkey earns $2 million in four hours

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would really like a world again where consecrate DOESN'T break CC.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Priests also have shackle.

Indeed, which would've been pretty useful through a lot of the instances in *this* expansion, I don't see it being terribly useful in Cataclysm with the exception of Heroic Shadowfang Keep.

Dranyth on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Priests also have shackle.

Indeed, which would've been pretty useful through a lot of the instances in *this* expansion, I don't see it being terribly useful in Cataclysm with the exception of Heroic Shadowfang Keep.

I mean, most of the CCs are pretty limited (humanoid/animal, humanoid/undead, elemental/demon, dragonkin/animal). Just because shackle only *currently* works on undead doesn't mean it should be written off as a CC ability.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wasn't writing it off I was responding to the discussion on psychic horror which really isn't reliable CC at all

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited April 2010
    Right, we weren't writing it off, no one said anything about it. I was just responding to the comment that Shadow Priests had some sort of talented thing like a CC and was wondering what it was.

Shackle does seem like it's going to be *really* limited though. At least there should be a decent amount of elementals around for warlocks to banish. Maybe.

Dranyth on
    edited April 2010
    Or they could add a mob type to shackle, like they did with banish. Or other CCs.

I'm really curious to see how an increased emphasis on CC pans out. I bet they undertune it and everyone ends up tanking the entire pack anyway.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do people consider the ability for a DK/War to off tank a mob (even while DPS specced, one trash mob will be fine) a form of CC? We used to do it when we one tanked Kara in certain areas.

edit: I hope they begin by over-tuning the CC requirements and tune down if some classes aren't getting invites again. There's really no need for it to be any less important than it was in TBC considering how many more viable CC spells there are in the game now.

815165 on
    edited April 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Do people consider the ability for a DK/War to off tank a mob (even while DPS specced, one trash mob will be fine) a form of CC? We used to do it when we one tanked Kara in certain areas.

edit: I hope they begin by over-tuning the CC requirements and tune down if some classes aren't getting invites again. There's really no need for it to be any less important than it was in TBC considering how many more viable CC spells there are in the game now.

I had a whole post about CCs yesterday... but I think it might've been in HHH. Anyhow, I commented on offtanking as a CC, and while in raids it might be slightly more viable, from the perspective of 5mans, I can't see how it would be. It's still damage that's being taken and needs to be healed and you're basically removing one whole DPS from the equation of single target taking down mobs in the rest of that pull, making it take longer before they're all dead.

Dranyth on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's not really CC, but it is an advantage to bringing that class. DKs especially can flip over to Frost Presence and tank 1 thing pretty easily. I don't know if the WoW crowd used to the east of WOTLK dungeons will like it though.

captaink on
    edited April 2010
    I had a whole post about CCs yesterday... but I think it might've been in HHH. Anyhow, I commented on offtanking as a CC, and while in raids it might be slightly more viable, from the perspective of 5mans, I can't see how it would be. It's still damage that's being taken and needs to be healed and you're basically removing one whole DPS from the equation of single target taking down mobs in the rest of that pull, making it take longer before they're all dead.
    Maybe it's just because I heal on my Shaman, but if the situation is that the tank can only take three of the four mobs in this pull before the DPS on him outdoes my HPS, I feel I could comfortably keep up an off tank taking one of the mobs away from the tank because the HPS required on a single target will be lower even if the total incoming DPS will be higher. This is presuming you'd kill the off tanked mob first.

815165 on
    edited April 2010
    Maybe it's just because I heal on my Shaman, but if the situation is that the tank can only take three of the four mobs in this pull before the DPS on him outdoes my HPS, I feel I could comfortably keep up an off tank taking one of the mobs away from the tank because the HPS required on a single target will be lower even if the total incoming DPS will be higher. This is presuming you'd kill the off tanked mob first.

You want us to ask pugs to focus fire?

Get out of my office, you're fucking fired.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited April 2010
    I have good pug experiences, I've only had one pug five man I've needed to bail on since the start of TBC.

I realise this is probably an exception, or you guys need to start playing in my BG (and continent).

edit: plus we focus fired all the way through TBC without problems.

815165 on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If a mob needs to be CC'd because your healer can't keep up while it's beating on the tank, I sincerely doubt it will be viable to instead have it be beating on a DPS. It's not like the other 4 mobs on the tank impede his ability to reduce damage from the fifth.

Anyway a lot of TBC "CC" wasn't even CC, just kiting something around. Two Boglords at once? Can't handle that, tank will die. Two Arcatraz constructs at once? Everyone in melee, including the tank, will die. Solution? The mage/hunter tags one and runs around, hits invis/fd once the first one is dead.

Lanlaorn on
    edited April 2010
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Anyway a lot of TBC "CC" wasn't even CC, just kiting something around. Two Boglords at once? Can't handle that, tank will die. Two Arcatraz constructs at once? Everyone in melee, including the tank, will die. Solution? The mage/hunter tags one and runs around, hits invis/fd once the first one is dead.
    Kiting is CC. Plus in that regard DK's can CC any snarable mob by casting chains of thingy every five seconds in unholy presence.

815165 on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Problem with this is that if they over-tune CC reqs for, say, a single patch cycle and then scale it back? The classes negatively affected would likely be spending the rest of the expansion fighting the stigma brought on by that.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    CC is fire and forget. With kiting you are taking someone out of the fight, and a member of your party.

I loved kiting General in UBRS.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well actually those specific mobs I mentioned were immune to snares (and all other CC), kiting them was a matter of clever terrain use, blink/aspect of the cheetah and a head start. Technically any class could do it if they're ok with "taking one for the team" and dying when it catches up to them.

One suggestion I read on another board is expanding the role of Disarm to function as a CC. Give DKs, up the PvE duration on all of them and have a disarmed mob deal, say, 20% of its normal damage. It's not a threat after an 80% drop in effectiveness, it might as well be polymorphed, but you can still AoE it in exchange for eating that 20% damage.

Lanlaorn on
    edited April 2010
    CC is fire and forget. With kiting you are taking someone out of the fight, and a member of your party.

I loved kiting General in UBRS.
    A stunlock is CC though and that isn't fire and forget.
    korodullin wrote: »
    Problem with this is that if they over-tune CC reqs for, say, a single patch cycle and then scale it back? The classes negatively affected would likely be spending the rest of the expansion fighting the stigma brought on by that.
    I think players have gotten better at adjusting to patch changes in this expansion in comparison to TBC, even after the Ret buffs late in TBC making them very useful (well, one of them) in a raid they still got the "lolret" reaction. The more rapid class changes in this expansion seem to have made people more willing to adapt the way they play to the state of the current game and not it's traditional state (such as the popularity of DK tanks in situations where they were clearly superior early in Wrath).

edit: plus the DPS specs without decent CC (not including off tanking and kiting) right now are Arms, Fury, Frost, Unholy, Shadow which isn't nearly as many as TBC.

815165 on
  • MillbuddahMillbuddah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god, all this cc talk has got me remembering all the fun I had chain trapping through vanilla and bc on my hunter. Hmgt, Hslabs, moroes adds were all no problems. It was the quintessential hunter vs huntard test and I'm sure most hunters nowadays would fail the test miserably.

Millbuddah on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »
    I always forget about Hex because it is pretty much useless.

Hey! I hex protodrake riders off their mounts in UK!

Echo on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I used to be really good at trapping and kiting on my hunter.

Now, I suck. I had such a horrible time doing it in Naxx, because I have gotten so rusty at it.

L Ron Howard on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FD-trapping in places like Strath or Scholo at 60 meant you were awesome. I miss those days.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes, I too miss the days when the game was of lesser quality and horrible.

reVerse on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes, so do I. The fact these people running around now have it easier and better automatically makes them all inferior. I mean, they can't CC because it's not required...lul noobs.

Bigity on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Game refinement aside, I think having CC as superfluous in 5-mans makes the game less interesting. Once upon a time if a CC broke early it was a big deal for the party.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Back when it took 20 minutes to get a pug and then 40-60 minutes to run it. I'll take my interesting bits in raids I think, or BGs.

Bigity on
  • QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bigity wrote: »
    Back when it took 20 minutes to get a pug and then 40-60 minutes to run it. I'll take my interesting bits in raids I think, or BGs.

Yeah, it's way better design to turn 5 mans into afk grinds rather than try to make them both interesting and quick to run. 5 mans are an integral part of the game, same way it wasn't fun to spam frostbolt on molten core it's not fun to spam seed of corruption in UK.

It's not zero sum, no one wants to go back to the way scholo was, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Quetzatcoatl on
    edited April 2010
    Because everyone can raid or enjoys pvp amirite.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If they remove 5 mans as a chore for raid progression badges or gear, I don't care what they do with them. Being forced to do one for 30 minutes everyday to keep up on badges isn't any less tedious than doing 10 a day in TBC. At least in TBC you got all the badges you needed for your gear and you didn't have to login everyday.

Bikkstah on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just realized my mage has 19% hit without including the 6% from talents. Damn.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just realized my mage has 19% hit without including the 6% from talents. Damn.

Your mage is bad. >_<

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
    edited April 2010
    End wrote: »

Your mage is bad. >_<

It's my silly T10 gear that did it. Silly I say!

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited April 2010
    You so silly.

My guildies were doing a mostly alt icc10 run with a pug mage with 21% hit before talents. He was pretty terrible, although I think they said he only had t9ish gear, too.

I ended up replacing him.

End on
    edited April 2010
    If I can replace my helm and boots I lose about 6%, so I need to work on that (ugh...)

Beyond Normal on
    edited April 2010
    There's always the crafted crit boots.

Although they're kinda expensive to craft if you don't have frost emblems laying around.

End on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I cashed in my frost emblems for saronite. I'd rather not spend all that money on new boots.

Beyond Normal on
  • TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    End wrote: »
    You so silly.

My guildies where doing a mostly alt icc10 run with a pug mage with 21% hit before talents. He was pretty terrible, although I think they said he only had t9ish gear, too.

I ended up replacing him.

Wow... i didn't even realize it was possible to get that much hit. That's a pretty impressive failure at gearing though.

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had close to 17% in ToC gear as a bear tank. It was cool to not need taunt glyphed.

Bikkstah on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bigity wrote: »

Yeah, it's way better design to turn 5 mans into afk grinds rather than try to make them both interesting and quick to run. 5 mans are an integral part of the game, same way it wasn't fun to spam frostbolt on molten core it's not fun to spam seed of corruption in UK.

It's not zero sum, no one wants to go back to the way scholo was, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

I kinda agree. I love the LFD tool for gearing up @ 80...but grinding for badges when you get say, a trophy from ToC25 just isn't much fun.

There's no chance of failing any of these dungeons (save HoR, since people are retarded), so it's not very exciting...but I've got to do it if I ever want to get geared enough to hold my own in ICC.

Vincent Grayson on
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have a shadowpriest in my guild with 21% Hit-rating before talents, we're trying to teach him that having that much isn't making his spells 'hit harder'.

Tyberius on
This discussion has been closed.