As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fruit-Based Portable Computing Devices [NSF Flash]

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A forward facing camera for the iPad would have been nice for skype or something.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Agreed... but I also understand why some people don't see the point. I would use it, but others might be weirded out by me talking to the iPad on the bus (to use an example someone made earlier)

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I can not see any logical reason for anybody to be weirded out by a webcam.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    Agreed... but I also understand why some people don't see the point. I would use it, but others might be weirded out by me talking to the iPad on the bus (to use an example someone made earlier)

there are many people doing weirder things on buses

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh me either. I think they were talking about being on the bus and talking to it during a convo.

I always saw that in futuristic movies... people talking on video phones as a matter of course. I think it'd be awesome, but y'know.

Then again, some people don't see the point of webcamming with your clothes on, soooo.... yeah.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Artreus wrote: »

Ignore the red light in your toilet, Art.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »

Ignore the red light in your toilet, Art.

I mean in that.. sense..

yeah anyway.

tablet PCs like the ipad are basically the future okay?

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Indeed. Remember in Star Trek: TNG... the PADDs?

Yep.. we're there. I never thought that you could read text THAT small in real life. Of course, we didn't have things like the iTouch or the iPad. I read books on my iTouch with smaller text than the ones on the Star Trek PADDs

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What I don't get are the people who wanted an outward-facing camera on it

where do you place it

how powerful can it be without adding significant bulk to the size of the device

if you don't make it powerful, what's the fucking point, it'd be like a really, really shitty point and shoot, like the keychain ones you buy at the drugstore; Apple's not really in the business of making shoddy shit.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I could never read books on my ipod touch. I did read one during an airplane ride or something but other than that it is just way too tiny for that.

Although I do browse the forums on it all the time.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    What I don't get are the people who wanted an outward-facing camera on it

where do you place it

how powerful can it be without adding significant bulk to the size of the device

if you don't make it powerful, what's the fucking point, it'd be like a really, really shitty point and shoot, like the keychain ones you buy at the drugstore; Apple's not really in the business of making shoddy shit.

While I think there are arguments against it, I think this one is just wrong.

I mean come on.

Camera phones. Those can be pretty good and still be really tiny. The ipod nano has a camera.

Putting a camera in the iPad would not be a challenge at all, and I'm with the people who say they are just going to include it in a later generation

Artreus on
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I used to play SWG until the NGE fucked up everything and made the game no fun for anyone.

Message sent from my iPhone.

Graves on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm not saying it would be a challenge to put something equivalent to the iPod nano's on it

I'm saying it would be a shitty user experience trying to take photos with a 9.5 inch device using an underpowered camera.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mobile computing, yes.

I imagine we are going to see the Ipad utilized in business and cheap touch screen interfaces in which to conduct business. The market for those systems are surprisingly expensive, and with the Ipad I imagine we will see developers make commercial apps for restaurants and everything else.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I tried browsing the forums on my iTouch but the resolution gets all funky and the spacing is off. I hate scrolling five million times.

as for an iPad, I bought this a few months ago and I love the hell out of it.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Mobile computing, yes.

I imagine we are going to see the Ipad utilized in business and cheap touch screen interfaces in which to conduct business. The market for those systems are surprisingly expensive, and with the Ipad I imagine we will see developers make commercial apps for restaurants and everything else.

03e142923ee9c694_ipad-sightglass.xxlarge.jpg

Already being used at Sight Glass Coffee in San Francisco combined with SquareUp's free iPad app.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I suppose... while I don't think apple will have an issue with it, having to go through their approval process will mean customization will be a pain in the arse except for the larger chains (Denny's, Applebees, etc).

Trying to get them to interface with their existing systems (order placement, etc) might mean they would have to either order custom ones from Apple or violate some kind of warranty.

I dunno, it might work... I'm not a software engineer.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nah

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's awesome.

I saw them use something similar to this in the Apple store when I bought my Stylus (after MONTHs of searching).

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, they've got their own custom setup with those fancy barcode scanner cases. Was it the pogo stylus? I've considered picking one of those up for a while.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yep, it was the Pogo. The only company (from what I've seen) that makes them. And it works really damn well, even with the screen protector on like I have.

I bought a silver one. It was $14.99. Though I've heard there are ways to build your own. It's like a piece of sponge or foam on the end.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure I need an iPad, but I want something to use in bed

ascot on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You can have me, Ascot.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    oh heyooooooo

ascot on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I meant I'll read to you.

Pervert!
    :winky: <3

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Who else is going to match their iphone/regular computer wallpaper?
    I know I am.

ascot on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Urgh. The home button on my 3G packed-in last week, so I'm sluming it on my first gen Edge (which I wisely kept as a back up when I upgraded). I'm due an upgrade anyway but I think I'm going to wait and see if a new model comes out this summer. Maybe switch over to Orange as my carrier as well, better coverage. When did this language button appear on the keyboard? Didn't have that on my 3G before it broke.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pretty neat iPad app that's been rejected from the App Store

Called Dashboard, it allows you to download & run the various Dashboard widgets on OSX on the iPad. The creator is open-sourcing it and releasing it free on the jailbreak app store once an iPad jailbreak is publicly available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBIlyC71oeo&feature=player_embedded

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Draconian tactics are another reason do dislike Apple.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    On the other hand, great products

soooooooooooo

ascot on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I admire them for maintaining control of their product, though. I mean there are few companies that are as good at it as Apple. They realize that Flash on the iPhone/Pad/Touch means less control over apps and didn't allow it.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's no great mystery why they won't/don't allow it to be used - they think there's something better.

ascot on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh? I've read several places that Jobs didn't want Adobe because it's a memory hog, 'unsecure'(read: we can't keep people from open-source development for it) and whatnot.

If that isn't it, what is it? (honestly would like to know)

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    Oh? I've read several places that Jobs didn't want Adobe because it's a memory hog, 'unsecure'(read: we can't keep people from open-source development for it) and whatnot.

If that isn't it, what is it? (honestly would like to know)

Uh, exactly? He doesn't like those things. Those are exactly why they think there's something better.
    And there quite possibly will be in HTML5.

ascot on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh!

Adobe is being a bunch of whiney bitches, too. "AWWWW Apple won't let us in so we might lose some monies this quarter!"

Really, all it does is make them sound petty and bitter.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2010
    flash is awesome though

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's not what they're saying at all really. They had to formally report that not adapting what they do or working with Apple means that their "business could be harmed".

ascot on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like it, but Adobe whining about Apple not allowing them on their i* is just being a petulant.

Edit: yes, I know it was required by the SEC

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I live in fear that touchscreens are the future, because I absolutely hate them. I cannot type on them worth shit. A physical keyboard was one of the primary reasons I got a Blackberry instead of an iPhone.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.