As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You tapped that ass. Presumably, it was phat.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At least in written form you can skip over it easily. "Oh look, he's describing the Blue Beetle again (spoiler: not much Blue anymore! Tee hee!), time to jump half a page", whereas fast forwarding through the novel equivilent of repeat animation isn't quite as practical.

Now that I think about it, this alone would probably keep me from bothering with the audio book versions. There's an awful lot of backstory by the later ends of the series. Hell, when I was marathon'ing them back to back, I started playing a game where I'd try to guess what was going to be said about the Blue Beetle or Toot or Murphy or the Duster or his apartment, etc, etc, etc.

Nice for new readers (and a good reminder back when these would've been out year to year) as they may be, you could probably axe 20 or 30 pages from each of the last couple books if you removed the excess fluff.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well the re-description of things is sort of necessary as a sort of quick reminder of what all this extra stuff is. A lot of fans are going to remember, especially if they've been reading for 12 books, but it's just an extremely common (for good reason) literary tactic with a long-running series like this. And it's not even that poorly done. You get like one or two pages max of him re-describing anything throughout an entire book.

Cilla Black on
    edited August 2010
    20-30 is certainly hyperbole, but 1-2 is definitely lowballing it. There's a dedicated couple of lines/paragraph to pretty much every character, location, spell, setting, item or event from an earlier book. How many times have we read about Marcone's faded dollar bill eyes, or Murphy being short, cute, an incredible marksman and adept at aikido? Or the Blue Beetle being less and less blue through the series? Or Bob the skull / repository of knowledge and his wooden shelf/collection of smutty romance novels?

Obviously it's not a dealbreaker for me, but it's prevailant throughout the series.

In re-reading the series, I am kind of looking forward to Mouse showing up, though I'm only up to book 5 again, as marathon'ing Burn Notice has taken up much of my free time.

Forar on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah, the details explaining things new readers might not know can be a nuisance, but it's a necessary element to make an ongoing series less intimidating.

If he didn't do this, it would be impossible to avoid being confused regularly without going through every previous book. Sure, you ought to do that, but there's no reason to exclude something to ease in the newcomers.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited August 2010
    Small Favors was amazing.
    I was so happy that Michael survived. My heart skipped a beat when he was getting hauled up the helicopter and one of the goons opened fire on him.

I picture a conversation where Harry consoles Michael later on, mentioning how he completely blindsided Nicodemus and nearly strangles the guy.

Also, the Elder Gruff was awesome. I doubt we'll see him again, but I'd love to see more of him.

Goatmon on

• DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just finished re-reading Small Favors like 30 seconds ago too.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
    edited August 2010
    Just finished turn coat.

Poor Thomas. And Morgan.

And damn, but that last page hits hard. :cry:

Goatmon on

edited August 2010
    Nice. It's all uphill from here.
    Well... from a certain point of view.

Forar on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love and hate this series.

I love it because it's great and memorable and I enjoy the characters.

I hate it because I'm tired of reading the same descriptions over and over again and because I burn through the new book in like 12 hours only to wait until next April.

EDIT: Who here suggested that he write a buddy cop story between him and Ramirez? If there is anything this series needs more of, it's Ramirez.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eyes the color of faded dollar bills.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Murph wasn't your usual cop with SHUT THE FUCK UP

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's because each book is supposed to be sort of standalone, I guess.

Still annoying as hell.

Silven on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I mean I try not to complain about it because obvious they have their reasons.

But hearing about every character over and over every book can be sort of a drag.

MISTER IS SO BIG

BOB IS SO PERVY

MICHAEL IS SO GOOD

THOMAS IS SO SEXY

MURPHY IS SO SHORT AND GOOD COP AND SHE'S GOOD PEOPLE

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was re-reading Changes the other day and got to the part in the bar where he's talking to Mac and he starts the "Have I ever told you I'm an orphan..." dialogue and in my head I lost it. I didn't notice it the first time around, I was too busy reading, but the second time through I just want to say really? Really Jim Butcher? This is how you have to hide your unnecessary exposition now?

Peen on
  • SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ALSO AIKIDO

That's the biggest problem I have with every series of books that are supposed to work together or separately. Half the book is re-describing the characters.

Silven on
    edited August 2010
    Well okay it's not that bad, but sometimes the beginning of books can be a bit of a bore because of it.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Following an in-interview announcement by Jim at MarsCon over the weekend, we’ve updated the site to reflect the new release date for Ghost Story: July 26, 2011.
    NOOOOOOOOO

Antimatter on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    frag.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited January 2011
    Am I going to have to go all Misery on Jim Butcher.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah i started reading some of these actually!

dead beat, turncoat and small favor. they were all pretty good i thought if a bit formulaic

Clint Eastwood on
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still have to read Side Jobs. :oops:

Jayricho on
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have two more books to read until I am caught up in this series and the bookstore near my house never ever has them.

Hoping I can find them both soon enough.

Dys on
    edited January 2011
    Jayricho wrote: »
    I still have to read Side Jobs. :oops:

Me too actually.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in the middle of it. they're pretty good, as short stories go.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited January 2011
    Side Jobs elaborates on some stuff mentioned in the books, and sets things up for Ghost Story

it's a must-read for the series, really :P

Antimatter on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thread title is still one of the best lines from the entire series.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited January 2011
    Yup.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's funny, after seeing Anne Hathaway in Alice in wonderland that is now how I picture Mab.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Following an in-interview announcement by Jim at MarsCon over the weekend, we’ve updated the site to reflect the new release date for Ghost Story: July 26, 2011.
    NOOOOOOOOO

no-darth_vader.jpg

Peen on
    edited March 2011
    do you guys want to read chapter one of Ghost Story? of course you do!

Antimatter on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ghost Story releases on my birthday! And I finally read Side Jobs, good read. I am a little worried now from the description of Ghost Story Butcher gave that it might be the last one. Very worried actually.

Bucketman on
    edited March 2011
    He also stated that he had planned to make over 20 full Dresden Novels, followed by a trilogy that closes the series.

How sure are you about that?

Goatmon on

edited March 2011
    Dresden sounds goooooood.

But man I can't get into side jobs, a few of these have been rough around the edges sofar and I have a copy of Wise Man's Fear sitting here...

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited March 2011
    I think he really could have picked a better story to open it with.

It's the same story that was at the end of the "Welcome to the Jungle" comic, and it was bad then, too.

Goatmon on

edited March 2011
    I had trouble with the wedding one.

I never really liked the Alphas much though.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really? I liked the Alphas.
    Then again I live close to Chicago and know the neibhorhood they live in, so I would like to think that yes there are werewolves trying to keep the area safe.

Bucketman on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have read, like, the first three books of this series?

They are OK.

I find Dresden and Murphy to be pretty irritating though. Like Murphy will says something along the lines of "I'm a cop I need to know these things to protect people and it's not your job yadda yadda yadda" and Dresden never says "these are fucking vampires/werewolves/wizards Karrin, let me deal with it because you do not know what the deal is with them and are liable to fuck it up." He just sort of pussies out and lets her be all "raargh!" on him.

Solar on
    edited March 2011
    Their relationship improves a lot over the series.

Dresden gets better at dealing with the police, or at least more familiar the force, and Murphy gets a lot better at playing along with Harry's way of doing things. She even starts getting more involved in his work further along, rather than just getting in his way all the time.

Goatmon on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OK

does he lose that whole chivalry bollocks thing as well?

Solar on
    edited March 2011
    No, he's kind of a stubborn asshole about that.

Although he mostly just directs that at Murphy. :P

Although the writer is kind of a chauvinist, which is pretty evident in the way he writes most (If not all) of the female characters.

There's a definite improvement in his work over the series, but that fact never really changes.

Goatmon on

This discussion has been closed.