As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone have crashes from HL2 on Vista?

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
For the longest time I couldn't even play HL2 as it would crash right from the start. Now I get a crash every few hours and I just got my first Blue screen of death :? Tf2 gives me no problems.. My GPU is running at 60c and my CPU is at 60c also. Quad core duo...

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Control panel -- System

Click "Advanced system settings", click "Settings" under "Startup and Recovery", disable automatic restart on system failure. Read BSOD, see what it tells you. Usually driver failure.

Zell on
  • Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had crashes on everything in vista...

I don't wanna be a Microsoft sales person, but get 7

Ryna on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Not a Vista issue, getting Windows 7 would not help any more than reinstalling Vista would.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ryna wrote: »
    I had crashes on everything in vista...

I don't wanna be a Microsoft sales person, but get 7

I tried to get that 30 dollar student version but my college was not on the list. So I signed up and they never got back to me.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    According to speedfan everything is running hot..

GPU 65c while playing Hl2 CPU 51c.. I don't see how that is hot for the cpu

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I didn't have crashes in HL2 in Vista. I would expect it's something specific to your PC.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No it isn't a temperature problem, it probably is a driver/hardware problem, READ the BSOD.

Edit: next time you get it that is, until then there's not much you can do, besides run stability test on cpu, gpu and ram. and upgrade your drivers.

Zell on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So you always get hard reboots or BSODs? No little "HL2.exe stopped working" window? Does the whole system go down in flames?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So you always get hard reboots or BSODs? No little "HL2.exe stopped working" window? Does the whole system go down in flames?

Usually HL2.exe has stopped working and that is an improvement because Hl2 wouldn't run at all for a long time. Tons of people were having problems with Hl2 running..

That was the first time I ever got a BSOD on my machine.. period.. Hasn't happen again but I sitll get a crash every now and then.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg