As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The continuing adventures of: Chuck vs [Adjective] [Noun]

Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Please use Spoilers for Recent Episodes

Stolen from wikipedia

PLOT:
Chuck Bartowski (Zachary Levi) is a twenty-something in Greater Los Angeles who works as a computer expert in the Nerd Herd at his local Buy More (parodies of Best Buy's Geek Squad),[12] a large retail consumer-electronics chain, with his best friend, Morgan Grimes (Joshua Gomez). Chuck's sister Ellie (Sarah Lancaster) and her now-husband Devon "Captain Awesome" Woodcomb (Ryan McPartlin) are doctors who are constantly encouraging Chuck to make progress in his professional and romantic life.

At the beginning of the series, Chuck receives an e-mail from Bryce Larkin (Matthew Bomer), his former Stanford University roommate, who is now an apparently "rogue" CIA agent. When he opens it, the entire database of all the US government's secret information—a neural supercomputer called The Intersect—is subliminally embedded into his brain. Both the NSA and the CIA want the intelligence returned to them and dispatch agents of their own—Colonel John Casey (Adam Baldwin) and Agent Sarah Walker (Yvonne Strahovski)—to retrieve the data.

Since the information was stolen by Bryce and the government's copy is destroyed in his attempted escape, and since Chuck experiences "flashes" of information from the database activated by certain triggers around him (such as faces, voices, in-context keywords, and various objects), he must use the knowledge he now possesses to help the government thwart assassins and international terrorists—upending his previously uneventful life. In order to preserve their safety, Chuck must keep his newfound occupation a secret from his family and friends, forcing Casey and Walker to establish an uneasy alliance and secret identities; Walker poses as Chuck's girlfriend and takes a cover job at a local restaurant near the Buy More while Casey reluctantly goes undercover as part of the Buy More team.

As the series progresses, it is revealed that rogue spies are engaged in a secret war with the legitimate intelligence community, and that Bryce stole the Intersect to keep the real rogue spies from capturing it. The rogue spies believe they can aid their cause by capturing the human Intersect or by building their own Intersect.

The government, meanwhile, wishes to rebuild the Intersect. This would make the Intersect in Chuck’s head redundant, making him a national security risk, so Casey is secretly under orders to kill Chuck if and when he becomes redundant.

Chuck, Sarah and Casey all face professional conflicts as they grow to respect each other and a genuine romantic interest develops between Chuck and Sarah. Chuck’s desire to maintain his close relationships and eventually return to a normal life is challenged by the dangers and growing responsibilities of his new secret life, and he gradually becomes a more competent, confident and willing spy.

As of Season 3, Chuck has willingly decided to become a real spy, to Sarah's chagrin. Although he failed "spy school," his effectiveness in the field has led General Beckman to give him a second chance and reinstate him as a member of the team, where Daniel Shaw is introduced to encourage his development as an agent. Chuck must now learn to balance his emotions to control the Intersect, which is complicated by his lingering feelings for Sarah.

CAST:
Zachary Levi (AKA: Chuck Bartowski, AKA: Agent Charles Carmichael)
tv-thankful-15Zachary-Levi2.jpg
Yvonne Strahovski (AKA: Agent Sarah Walker, AKA: Sam Lisa **classified**)
yvonne-strahovski.jpg
Adam Baldwin (AKA: Colonel John Casey, AKA: Alexander Coburn, AKA: Angel de la Muerta)
Adam_Baldwin_Chuck.jpg
Scott Krinsky & Vik Sahay (AKA: Jeffrey "Jeff" Barnes & Lester Patel, AKA: Jeffster, AKA: The Buymore 'Crew')
6a00d834518cc969e2011168d34f22970c-800wi.jpg
Joshua Gomez (AKA: Morgan Grimes, AKA: The Morgan, AKA: The Beard, AKA: The Best Friend)
090423joshua-gomez1.jpg

Please use Spoilers for Recent Episodes

steam_sig.png
MWO: Adamski
Gnome-Interruptus on

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Plot summary somewhat out of date! But whatever.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Continuing from other thread.

V was killed by terrible writing and acting, not its hiatus.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a distinct lack of Morgan in that OP.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a distinct lack of Jeffster in that OP.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I would have included alot more, but I decided to focus on the core crew of Team Bartowski, with fan favorite Jeffster thrown in. I was tempted to do more, but then I would have tried extending it to recurring cast just so I could include Carina (Mini Anden) which would have been too much work (for me).

I left the Plot out of date so that it wouldnt spoil much if at all.

I'm going to add Morgan though, since upon introspection, he really does require an entry.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There is a literal lack of Awesome in the OP as well. Sorry :P Ellie deserves to be in it too after her speech.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the spoiler rules, I wasn't sure what they were in the last thread and seemed to be sort of arbitrary sometimes.

Just a comment about the Intersect and the building thereof;
    I know the Intersect is a big deal and all, it's not easy to make so it takes a while to rebuild etc., but I hope that a continuing plot point is not the constant creation of new intersects that get destroyed a few minutes later. I suspend a lot of disbelief in the world of Chuck, that's ok because I know what I've signed up for when watching the show, but there have been so many new intersects made and destroyed that someone has to be thinking "lets make a second one and store it real good", whether that be the CIA or The Ring. For example, if The Ring is well on their way to completing another intersect, but needed the info that was stolen by Shaw, then shouldn't the CIA almost be finished with their next one? Perhaps test it on someone again to have a second intersect around other than Chuck? Maybe he'd help them get used to it, train them in the ways of intersection, etc.

If the answer is just that this is how things work in the Chuck-verse, I'd be ok with it. I just think that the writers have the ability to go beyond the basic "baddie gets foiled once again and has to start from square one on the same plan".

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    More generally, The Ring needs to be upgraded. Fulcrum's initial on screen stuff was resurrecting Bryce Larkin from the dead so they seemed powerful and somewhat competent (if mystifyingly unwilling to call HQ when they learn something important).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well there have only ever been 2 working Intersects. We don't know the 1.0 replacement would have worked and Manoosh's sunglasses were only Intersect-like as far as we saw. So it's not like they're growing on trees. The CIA etc may indeed be close to another working one, but close isn't done. Papa B seems to be the missing ingredient in making Intersects.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bryce is coming back as a zombie next episode.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's true, I just just thinking that since the CIA have Papa Bartowski back, they should be very close to one by now, and The Ring is supposedly close to their second one. If/once The Ring's new one gets stopped or destroyed, you would still expect the CIA to be getting ready to pump out some super spies asap. I know for the sake of the show that it wouldn't be very good to have lots of Chucks out there, but I'm just hoping for a throwaway line here or there explaining what's stopping them, other than ignoring it altogether.

Also, I'm curious what the other branches of The Ring are like, if Fulcrum was just part of the greater group. Or, since we know the name of the group as a whole, do we just assume that we've been seeing lots of other groups but don't differentiate themselves into the smaller groups anymore. For TV viewer's sake it makes sense to just refer to everyone as Ring operatives from now on but it would be cool for the smaller groups to get more fleshed out as time goes on. My idea from Chuck vs. the Ring was that the five silhouettes might represent the leaders of the five groups that make up the whole.

EDIT: Bryce's invisible ghost should come back for a while, just get Matt Bomer to do some voiceovers. Maybe Morgan can carry around a cardboard cutout of him (because I just realized that not seeing Matt Bomer on screen kind of defeats the purpose of having him on the show).

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Papa B isn't working with the CIA, he explicitly got that promise from Bryce.

I suspect:
    He comes back because there's a serious glitch in either his or Chuck's intersect. If the former, he's dying; if the latter, he's back to fix it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, minor upcoming episode title spoilers:
    Chuck vs The Living Dead sure sounds like someone is returning. The obvious choice would be Shaw, which I feared when I first saw that title and the latest episode just increased that fear. But it could be BOTH! Bryce can come back and help Chuck re-kill Shaw!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Chuck vs The Living Dead sure sounds like someone is returning. The obvious choice would be Shaw, which i feared when I first saw that title and the latest episode just increased that gear. But it could be BOTH! Bryce can come back and help Chuck re-kill Shaw!
    Also, you know, Orion.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Chuck vs The Living Dead sure sounds like someone is returning. The obvious choice would be Shaw, which i feared when I first saw that title and the latest episode just increased that gear. But it could be BOTH! Bryce can come back and help Chuck re-kill Shaw!
    Also, you know, Orion.

Oh that's just a cop out. And probably right. This is what I get for reading too much into things (and not checking guest star appearance dates).

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Papa B isn't working with the CIA, he explicitly got that promise from Bryce.

I suspect:
    He comes back because there's a serious glitch in either his or Chuck's intersect. If the former, he's dying; if the latter, he's back to fix it.

Riiiiiiiiight I forgot that he was on the run from the NSA for all those years. That's why it's been so hard to build another. Okay nevermind, things make more sense now.

Kronus on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a distinct lack of Big Mike in the OP. Preferably a pic of him in bed with Morgan's mom.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was surprised that last episode wasn't the end of the season. I saw that there are 6 more episodes on top of that.

The ratings appear a bit low, but it seems like NBC doesn't really have any other options to throw up to replace Chuck. I would assume the main demographic that likes Chuck probably isn't watching the show when it's on TV, but are using DVR or watching it online.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You kids are spoiled, the last OP didnt have anyone in it at all! :P

I even let the last one sit to pg 103 (mostly because I wasnt reading it to try and avoid spoilers), but no one else wanted to do it. So now you get slacker version! ;)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Originally it WAS the season finale. Then they ordered 6 more episodes after they had written and were in the middle of filming the original 13. That's why it felt finale-like. Because it was. :P

Hopefully the ratings tick up to a 2.3 or so on the magic bullshit box. You're probably right deVcharles, a lot of people probably watch it not-live. It's too bad that doesn't help the show at all. Hell, even though they keep telling everyone to watch it live THAT doesn't even help 99% of the time. Such a stupid system...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Until they give me a Neilson ratings box / survey, I'll continue watching it online, where it actually counts for something more than watching it on TV.

I even watch it on the (re)broadcasters website, so they get advertisment revenue etc.

Edit: Also, going to their website means only 4 or 5 commercials an episode, instead of 15+ from TV.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Chuck17.jpg

:whistle: Morgan's mom has got it going on
    Morgan's mom has got it going on :whistle:

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Online etc IS better than nothing, but it also does nothing to help get the show renewed when it comes down to it. TV is going to implode into all reality sooner or later at this rate. And then I hope all the networks go up in flames.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Until they give me a Neilson ratings box / survey, I'll continue watching it online, where it actually counts for something more than watching it on TV.

You're not the target demographic for a Neilson box. Was it in this thread that someone posted evidence that Neilson viewers are too goddamn dumb to even tell the time? Ratings drop by a two-digit figure whenever we move the clocks ahead/back.

Why networks continue to use that as a relevant measure I'll never understand.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't imagine the networks don't count online views at least a little bit when it comes to determining whether a show is getting watched.

It's not like watching it online doesn't get them revenue.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    All they care about is ad revenue from live broadcasts. The system is pretty flawed. .002% of the population, they want you to view commercials when that's like the #1 thing people don't want to do, it's all going to end up going down the tubes sooner or later. It's just going to end up taking shows like Chuck with it sadly.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I can't imagine the networks don't count online views at least a little bit when it comes to determining whether a show is getting watched.

They get WAY more revenue from the live ads.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My guess would be that the Chuck audience would be above the average in terms of affluence and in the correct age demographic as to merit consideration for staying on. The main thing is that Chuck is going up against Dancing with the Stars and American Idol which each get like 22 million people to watch. Basically the two biggest shows on TV right now. NBC can drop Chuck and try to compete with those shows on a Tuesday night with some other program, but I have no idea what they could hope to throw at it. Might as well keep us nerds happy and give us what we want.

devCharles on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's got a 2.1 in the demo the last two weeks after a disaster of a 1.9 the week after DST started (also, I suspect general exhaustion with the Chuck/Sarah bullshit played a part). When it comes back with that minor problem resolved, and literally anyone who visits ANY pop culture site and is vaguely interested knows it is, hopefully it gets back up in the 2.4-2.6 range it had been for most of the season and would thus be safe.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    God, I forgot how absurdly great season two of this show was. Watched the first three again, and those are some of the weak (compared to the end season run from Lethal Weapon on) episodes.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God, I forgot how absurdly great season two of this show was. Watched the first three again, and those are some of the weak (compared to the end season run from Lethal Weapon on) episodes.

Yeah. Chuck S2 really has to go down as one of the best seasons of TV that's come around in a long time.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Honestly, this show has, since episode 1, entirely hit on nearly every level for me. I like the actors, the writing, the production quality, and the way they shift the drama and comedy. My only complaint was that they seemed to be artificially holding back the Sarah and Chuck relationship, but it looks like we're finally going to be moving on from that. I don't know if you guys remember my post from the last thread, but I said that I hope Chuck and Sarah will get together so we can have the plot line of them trying to keep it secret.

devCharles on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    devCharles wrote: »
    Honestly, this show has, since episode 1, entirely hit on nearly every level for me. I like the actors, the writing, the production quality, and the way they shift the drama and comedy. My only complaint was that they seemed to be artificially holding back the Sarah and Chuck relationship, but it looks like we're finally going to be moving on from that. I don't know if you guys remember my post from the last thread, but I said that I hope Chuck and Sarah will get together so we can have the plot line of them trying to keep it secret.

Pretty sure it ain't secret. Unless Beckman is being unusually dense.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    a5ehren wrote: »

Yeah. Chuck S2 really has to go down as one of the best seasons of TV that's come around in a long time.

West Wing's second, Veronica Mars' first, and Friday Night Lights' first are the only ones that I would put in the same category (never seen The Wire, which I imagine would also be up there).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I would like to see one of these shows with a serious "will they won't they" factor try keeping it secret from the audience. So like there's a peak in the unresolved sexual tension between the two characters at the end of one episode, then it's just completely gone the next one. Everyone thinks it's bad writing until like the season finale when everyone figures out they've been banging for months.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Not that I think they'll go 'It's a secret' route, but Chuck and Sarah have been 'involved' for a long time and Beckman has been more or less ignoring it for (plot) whatever reasons. So it's not like they can't have them try and downplay it in front of the cameras just to avoid the fraternization issue.

But then they'd have Bryce come back or something, so I'm not really liking this idea in the end either. :P

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Actually, I just read an article that said that networks are now starting to watch DVD sales more in regards to a show's health and whether or not to renew.

Unfortunately, now I can't find the article again.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just saw the most recent ep on Hulu, and I have to say, Morgan's Yoda quote was subtle, distilled perfection.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Actually, I just read an article that said that networks are now starting to watch DVD sales more in regards to a show's health and whether or not to renew.

Unfortunately, now I can't find the article again.

Wouldn't matter in this case, WB makes Chuck so they get most of the DVD sales.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just saw the most recent ep on Hulu, and I have to say, Morgan's Yoda quote was subtle, distilled perfection.

I actually completed the line, hoping against hope that would be it. I was quite pleased when it was.

devCharles on