Options

Harsh prison sentences are fucking over black families big time.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    It's hard to say exactly what it means to be feminine or manly. I guess the biggest things I notice among black women are that they're less likely to dress up and wear a lot of female accessories, tend to have larger bodies, and have a higher obesity rate. But I don't think you can really separate behavior from appearance, since the way you think about someone's behavior is going to affect the way you feel about their appearance.

I was going to address your statement about female accessories/dressing up (I don't know where you live or what black women you've been meeting, but that's... atypical), but I thought the bolded statement was more odd. Having larger bodies (if that's a true representation of what's going on) or being obese is unfeminine?

don't you think so? I think it's pretty safe to say that larger women look less feminine than small, delicate women. I know there's plenty of small delicate black women, I've just noticed that they're more rare.

It's hard to talk honestly about this though. I can't really give any evidence, and I feel like whatever I say people are going to jump on me for being racist and sexist.

YUP! Doin it right now!
    OK, fine, what do you think? Do you think all races are the same, and you don't even notice someone's race when you look at them? Do you not care about women's appearances at all (or men's if that's what you're into)? Or are you just dishonest?

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    I would say being obese is undesirable, and something that should be as ostracized as smoking now is

Unfeminine? Yeah it is, just as it is equally emasculating to be a fat, disgusting goose

What is femininity and why is it desirable.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's hard to say exactly what it means to be feminine or manly. I guess the biggest things I notice among black women are that they're less likely to dress up and wear a lot of female accessories, tend to have larger bodies, and have a higher obesity rate. But I don't think you can really separate behavior from appearance, since the way you think about someone's behavior is going to affect the way you feel about their appearance.

I was going to address your statement about female accessories/dressing up (I don't know where you live or what black women you've been meeting, but that's... atypical), but I thought the bolded statement was more odd. Having larger bodies (if that's a true representation of what's going on) or being obese is unfeminine?

don't you think so? I think it's pretty safe to say that larger women look less feminine than small, delicate women. I know there's plenty of small delicate black women, I've just noticed that they're more rare.

It's hard to talk honestly about this though. I can't really give any evidence, and I feel like whatever I say people are going to jump on me for being racist and sexist.

YUP! Doin it right now!
    OK, fine, what do you think? Do you think all races are the same, and you don't even notice someone's race when you look at them? Do you not care about women's appearances at all (or men's if that's what you're into)? Or are you just dishonest?

I know what my personal preferences are as far as attractiveness. I don't go ahead and assume that I am the norm. Nor do I assume, from my limited exposure to people of a certain race, that I know enough to make sweeping generalizations about the worth of females of that race as mates.

WHAT THE HELL.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

don't you think so? I think it's pretty safe to say that larger women look less feminine than small, delicate women.

No, no I don't think so, because big hips and breasts are feminine characteristics. So if a woman is putting on weight in the boob and hip and butt area, she's putting it on in a very feminine way. From a lizard-brain perspective, that screams "good for breeding!" and I don't know how much more feminine you can get than that.

If you haven't got good examples of the points you're trying to make, I would take some time and try to examine if you might have some biases that might not reflect the reality of things. I'm just saying the points you are trying to make might not be good points.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I would say being obese is undesirable, and something that should be as ostracized as smoking now is

Unfeminine? Yeah it is, just as it is equally emasculating to be a fat, disgusting goose

Well see that would be my personal opinions on what would be both "feminine" and "desirable" and no I am not playing your silly semantics game

However I will make the generalization that the vast majority of the time both sexes are unattracted to people who are obese, and in my opinion it should be an ostracizing act just like choosing to smoke is currently

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

YUP! Doin it right now!

You can notice race and not care. I'm not color-blind, it's not like I think my fiance has brown eyes and big ol' 'fro or anything. But the fact is that we have more in common across so-called racial lines than even within our same designated ethnicities, so to say "black folks are like THIS" and "white folks are like THIS" is really meaningless.

In short, yeah, all "races" are "the same." That doesn't mean they're identical. So if you're into small, delicate women, say you're into small delicate women. Don't then say that small and delicate = feminine, and then acknowledge that there are small and delicate black women, but that black women are unfeminine, because your messages are mixed all over the place.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well see that would be my personal opinions on what would be both "feminine" and "desirable" and no I am not playing your silly semantics game

However I will make the generalization that the vast majority of the time both sexes are unattracted to people who are obese, and in my opinion it should be an ostracizing act just like choosing to smoke is currently

Well, okay, Rent, you hate fatties, which is cool - I was personally trying to tease out some more specific information from Pi-r8 about femininity, since, note, he said that black women typically had "larger bodies" (whatever that means, he did not specify) as well as the obesity comment.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

You're not really understanding me here. I am asking you to define what "femininity" is because it's an ambiguous term. I am asking you to explain why it is desirable, by which I mean why is it a concept that ought to be used and also why the qualities you feel embody "femininity" are desirable.

Regarding your generalization, I think as soon as you admit you're generalizing, especially in this context, you've pretty much lost the argument. Your generalization is extremely useless and should be discarded. And in addition to generalizing about what people find attractive you also generalize about why someone might be obese and you conclude that anyone who is obese ought to be ostracized.

Good game, I admire you like tons.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Reminds me of a quote from Gran Torino about how the men go to jail and the women go to college. I was watching it with my cousin and uncle who is an inner city school teacher and said that it was pretty much true.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't really think that's true sidhaethe (in regards to commonality within races); of course, this is all personal experience but growing up in an Asian family looking like someone from the Brady Bunch certainly didn't help, but I was able to relate better to my Asian friends (more comfortable being able to talk about frustrations Asian kids have growing up) than to my white ones, but I never dated Asian chicks for that exact reason (too much familiarity)

So I dunno

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well, okay, Rent, you hate fatties, which is cool - I was personally trying to tease out some more specific information from Pi-r8 about femininity, since, note, he said that black women typically had "larger bodies" (whatever that means, he did not specify) as well as the obesity comment.

Uh what?

Also I actually like chubby chicks. I dislike obese disgusting people

Also also I'm not defending Pi-r8's comments, he's a goose of the highest order

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

don't you think so? I think it's pretty safe to say that larger women look less feminine than small, delicate women.

No, no I don't think so, because big hips and breasts are feminine characteristics. So if a woman is putting on weight in the boob and hip and butt area, she's putting it on in a very feminine way. From a lizard-brain perspective, that screams "good for breeding!" and I don't know how much more feminine you can get than that.

If you haven't got good examples of the points you're trying to make, I would take some time and try to examine if you might have some biases that might not reflect the reality of things. I'm just saying the points you are trying to make might not be good points.
    oh having larger boobs or whatever is totally not the same thing as having a larger body. for a rediculous example, look at bridget neilson. http://cannemma.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/brigitte-nielsen2.jpg. She's pretty much the least feminine-looking woman I can think of.

I guess I can't give any really good definition of what it means to be feminine or attractive. But I mean this is all going subconsciously, for everyone. I do think a lot of men feel that way, though.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This just turned into the absolute worst thread

Let me just say that I agree with the two people who said end mandatory sentencing and that other races are also included in black women's dating pool as well

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't really think that's true sidhaethe (in regards to commonality within races); of course, this is all personal experience but growing up in an Asian family looking like someone from the Brady Bunch certainly didn't help, but I was able to relate better to my Asian friends (more comfortable being able to talk about frustrations Asian kids have growing up) than to my white ones, but I never dated Asian chicks for that exact reason (too much familiarity)

So I dunno

I think there are a lot of factors involved and especially in a place like the US, with such a stormy racial history, it's really hard to separate those factors out. I mean, I feel I have more in common with my (white, blue-eyed) fiance than with any black guy I ever met, but then again we have a common life experience in that we are both first-generation Americans, which are experiences I could not share with an African-American man who was the descendant of someone who lived through the Civil Rights movement.

In the West Indies, a black man can marry an Asian woman with no comment on their racial differences or any "difficulties" their children will face, other than whether the in-laws get along or not. White families marry into black ones and vice versa. Everybody's got a little bit of something in them, so there isn't this stigma of trying to fit in appearance-wise, or "sticking out".

I didn't grow up in the US, and I didn't have an option of who to hang out with in my whiter-than-white midwestern town experience growing up, so I guess I just feel immune to the pressure to look like anyone else or hang out with people who look like me. I apologize if I seem insensitive to that particular struggle as a result, but my own life experience tells me that those things just don't matter and can be overcome.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

while black women are certainly considered the 'other' from a social standpoint I think the phenomenom of people dating within their own racial group is at least as big a problem.

it's not just race either, people marry the same nationality, class, religion more often than they don't

I'm probably overlooking something, but I feel that nationality, class, and religion can serve to affect the quality of a relationship far more than ethnicity/racial group, so I have less of a problem with people sticking with those things.

I don't mean in the sense that I consider people who share those groups with me to be my "equals" vs. those who are not, but that when I list my interests and passions (say: blogging/internet forums/gaming/fanfiction, sci-fi/fantasy, Anglophilic tendencies, anime, etc. etc.), I feel I am more likely to find someone who shares more of them within those categories than outside them.

Probably grossly overlooking something in your point, though, so feel free to set me straight if I'm being a goose.

oh i think sticking to your own race is pretty foolish, but that doesn't meant it's not the norm. most of the time we hang out with people that are similar to us and often relationships arise from just being around people. There's a lot of subtle and sort of unspoken pressure to date with a race too in the united states.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is human nature to feel closer to people who are similar to you. There is nothing "foolish" about it. It's pretty much ingrained to our brains - this is why you get stuff like mimicry for example where you mimic the behaviors and body language (and over time, appearance) of people you like, and try to differentiate yourself from those you don't.

Also, the "subtle and unspoken pressure to date within a race" exists only for certain race combinations.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

YUP! Doin it right now!

You can notice race and not care. I'm not color-blind, it's not like I think my fiance has brown eyes and big ol' 'fro or anything. But the fact is that we have more in common across so-called racial lines than even within our same designated ethnicities, so to say "black folks are like THIS" and "white folks are like THIS" is really meaningless.

In short, yeah, all "races" are "the same." That doesn't mean they're identical. So if you're into small, delicate women, say you're into small delicate women. Don't then say that small and delicate = feminine, and then acknowledge that there are small and delicate black women, but that black women are unfeminine, because your messages are mixed all over the place.
    Cmon I'm not trying to say that "all black chicks are like this". But yeah, races do have some differences, on average, and most people who are honest tend to notice these things. Most men also have preferences about what they think are attractive, so you end up with more men finding one race more attractive than another. Maybe you personally don't care, but, a lot of men have preferences.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You absolutely are making assumptions about a particular racial group based on personal feelings and grounded in zero real data. Your assumptions and points are also hurtful in that they reinforce stereotypes about black women or women in general.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

You're not really understanding me here. I am asking you to define what "femininity" is because it's an ambiguous term.
    Except it's also a personal opinion on what entitles femininity, so literally any attempt I make to define it you will use it against me. Again, with the trap question. How about you stop being a silly goose and actually recognize that I'm right about it, being in the vastmajority of cases, that femininity is a quality that can be generalized and be rendered desirable. Or, if that is too difficult because you're apparently incapable of admitting that there is such a thing as femininity, and that it in turn has a generalized case wherein femininity can be rendered "desirable", you look at your avatar pic to recognize what I'm talking about
    I am asking you to explain why it is desirable, by which I mean why is it a concept that ought to be used and also why the qualities you feel embody "femininity" are desirable.

It's desirable to me. In a generalized case, it is desirable to a lot of people. See: Playboy. Why it should be used? Doesn't matter. It's an integral part of who we are to glorify certain traits of people, whether they be physical, mental, emotional, or logical, and to deem people with other traits- usually the opposite of the glorified ones- as qualities denoting them "lesser". You mine as well tell people to stop breathing, for all effectiveness that "Why it ought to be used" has to our culture
    Regarding your generalization, I think as soon as you admit you're generalizing, especially in this context, you've pretty much lost the argument.
    Nope not seeing it, since our whole preconceptions of literally everything are generalizations. Unless you're arguing that beauty isn't an ideal concept. Which makes literally no sense
    Your generalization is extremely useless and should be discarded. And in addition to generalizing about what people find attractive you also generalize about why someone might be obese and you conclude that anyone who is obese ought to be ostracized.

I'm just wondering why you're honestly whiteknighting this point. If I saw, say, someone with a popped collar I would generalize they were a goose not worth associating with. I'm sure in your case there is a certain signifying, intentionally distinguishing trait of a subset of people that turns you off to that group. Arguing otherwise makes you a gigantic pedant

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    how the fuck am i supposed to give real data for what's attractive and what isn't?

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

ostracizing fat people, what a terrific idea

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Man I really shouldn't have used fat in that quote Casual Eddy

I meant "obese"

Rent on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    96% of married black women are married to black men

That seems high. I wonder what the comparisons are to other races.

I'd say that harsh prison sentences for victimless crimes should be lowered regardless though.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    how the fuck am i supposed to give real data for what's attractive and what isn't?

I think you have arrived upon the point, sir!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ostracizing obese people

yes awesome

even better idea

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ostracizing obese people

yes awesome

even better idea

Good we're at an agreement then

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ostracizing obese people

yes awesome

even better idea
    we already do this. People have pretty strong prejudices against them, especially for dating.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

YUP! Doin it right now!

Cmon I'm not trying to say that "all black chicks are like this". But yeah, races do have some differences, on average, and most people who are honest tend to notice these things. Most men also have preferences about what they think are attractive, so you end up with more men finding one race more attractive than another. Maybe you personally don't care, but, a lot of men have preferences.

Of course men have preferences. I just hope you're aware that most of the descriptions you've provided of black women are inaccurate, and therefore pretty invalid if one were citing them as the reason one didn't find black women attractive. I mean - by all means, everyone should go ahead and not find black women attractive if they want to! - I just find it kind of personally amusing to see characteristics that are in no way dependent upon blackness being used to describe black women.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What are some characteristics that are dependent upon blackness? Other than skin color and hair? I did my best to give some but apparently I'm wrong.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What are some characteristics that are dependent upon blackness? Other than skin color and hair? I did my best to give some but apparently I'm wrong.

Hey! Again you've arrived at the point!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That's about the best you can do, and even then there are plenty of exceptions. That's my point.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010

Let me just say that I agree with the two people who said end mandatory sentencing and that other races are also included in black women's dating pool as well

It was a steaming pile of shit from post #1 and never got any better.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That's about the best you can do, and even then there are plenty of exceptions. That's my point.

So- just to make sure- you think that there is no difference at all between black people and other races besides their hair and skin color? Really? Any other difference is just my imagination?

Here's one thing- african-american women have a much higher obesity rate. http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/race_class/othergirlsstuff.html. 37% compared to 24%.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyways, to try and salvage this, I expect that this issue is a big deal for EVERYONE in poverty, which tends to be a crime-prone environment. While certain minority groups are affected more sharply than others, the brutal, vengeful nature of the American criminal justice system harms people from all walks of life below a certain socioeconomic level.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

So- just to make sure- you think that there is no difference at all between black people and other races besides their hair and skin color? Really? Any other difference is just my imagination?

Yes. (edit) There is certainly more variation between whites of all cultural backgrounds than between some generic white person of undefined ethnicity and some black people. And there are more differences between, say, Ethopians and Somalians and West Africans than between some black people and some white people of undefined ethnicity.
    Here's one thing- african-american women have a much higher obesity rate. http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/race_class/othergirlsstuff.html. 37% compared to 24%.

In the very same article you cite, the reasons given for this disparity is socioeconomic, not genetic. It's not that black women just pack on the pounds more easily, it's that the black population in general is poorer and less educated. I'd also add that the black community doesn't shame weight gain as much as white culture in general. Again, that's not something that's inherent to blackness. Correlation is not causation.

So you're basically saying you don't find poor, uneducated women to be feminine. Uh, great? You should say that, instead of "black women" are mostly unfeminine?

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yes. (edit) There is certainly more variation between whites of all cultural backgrounds than between some generic white person of undefined ethnicity and some black people. And there are more differences between, say, Ethopians and Somalians and West Africans than between some black people and some white people of undefined ethnicity.

In the very same article you cite, the reasons given for this disparity is socioeconomic, not genetic. It's not that black women just pack on the pounds more easily, it's that the black population in general is poorer and less educated. I'd also add that the black community doesn't shame weight gain as much as white culture in general. Again, that's not something that's inherent to blackness. Correlation is not causation.

So you're basically saying you don't find poor, uneducated women to be feminine. Uh, great? You should say that, instead of "black women" are mostly unfeminine?
    the cause is totally irrelevant. All that matters here is the correlation. Most men find overweight women overweight, and more black women are overweight, therefore, most men find fewer black women attractive. It's the same with anything else you want to look at- I know there isn't some genetic factor making black men be imprisoned more, but it still happens, and it makes them less attractive for marriage.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the cause is totally irrelevant. All that matters here is the correlation. Most men find overweight women overweight, and more black women are overweight, therefore, most men find fewer black women attractive. It's the same with anything else you want to look at- I know there isn't some genetic factor making black men be imprisoned more, but it still happens, and it makes them less attractive for marriage.

You know why that doesn't make any sense at all within the context I initially mentioned (being excluded from a list of every ethnicity that exists in the United States by people on online dating sites)? If fatness is such a problem, exclude fatness from your profile, not blackness. That's pure silly goose behavior.

Don't get me wrong, from my perspective I'm grateful that these people show their bigotry up front so I don't waste time communicating with them, but [sigh] if so many white men are such silly geese, then it's no surprise most black women don't find white men attractive, since silly geese are unattractive.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    haha everyone loves white men. in that OKC chart we're the highest in almost every category. Thank you hollywood movies for always making the hero a white man.

If you want to talk about why they'd exclude a certain race, well, I dunno I think that's stupid too but it would probably be because of behavior stereotypes not appearance.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

It was a steaming pile of shit from post #1 and never got any better.

Great, and now you contributed to it by threadshitting. Thanks a lot.

No, I'm not actually curious about what legitimate arguments you have, so don't even start.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great job fucking up what might have been a good thread.

We do have statistics site for a reason guys. I know Statistics Canada has a wealth of stats that may be pertinent to the conversation.

Well, I guess it'll be locked now.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know personally, growing up, that people from a different ethnicity often had different odors about them, most likely from the different cuisine or perfumes/colognes they grew up with.

It probably takes most people alot of exposure to people outside their socio-ethnic group to become familiar with things like that, so that it isnt such a huge signifier of outside-ness.

Even then, latent racial prejudices will influence peoples views regardless of how much they may accept others in their social groups and other situations, romantic relationships are always the last bastion where unfounded prejudices seem to reign and are the last places where the barriers are demolished.

semi-drunk post, so I hope this makes some sense.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski