Options

Harsh prison sentences are fucking over black families big time.

1234689

Posts

  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have no trouble believing that a façade of great wealth could easily gain you the company of certain types of women.

    Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah man, bitches only care about your ride and your wallet. That's what gets them in the sack.

    :rolleyes:

    To be fair, it's not exactly uncommon. It's just an unfair generalization.

    It's not common either.

    Move into any really urban area, and it becomes far more common. Get out of the sticks. I know for a fact that the quality of ass I hit, goes up if I rent a BMW. that's life, i'd never marry one of them, that would be dumb.

    But if I want top quality ass, rent a car, hit up a place that costs 30 bucks a martini, and you get the top women.

    If I just want to get laid, got to any random bar, girl won't be as hot, but I don't have to buy her drinks, and she doesn't car about me lacking a car.

    That's life.

    No, that's your fucked up not-real world. Probably one where you go home alone and blame said fact on your lack of a nice car.

    I DO live in a major urban area. I've lived in several different ones in fact. You are full of shit.

    nah I get my dick wet weekly, not my issue.

    But I know how to fuck my way through a bar. I can game anybody off looks at a dive, if I want top ass, I have to go compete with people making double my income off 30 buck drinks. So I need to work that.

    It's life, that's how it goes.

    Yes, I truly believe that the only way you can get a high-class woman is by paying for her in some manner.

    The rest of us just use our charm and wit for the same effect.

    Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    crack gives longer sentences then cocaine.

    Of course they totally ignore the fact that Crackheads are more likely to commit violent crimes then cokeheads which is the real impetus for the different prison lengths.

    The criticism over three strikes just doesn't make sense to me. You have two guys one who has committed his first felony and may be able to reform and another who has been in and out of jail all his life and has proved he can't live within society's rules. How is it remotely fair to treat them the same.

    frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    STOP REFERRING TO WOMEN (HUMAN BEINGS) AS ASS

    So It Goes on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    crack gives longer sentences then cocaine.

    Of course they totally ignore the fact that Crackheads are more likely to commit violent crimes then cokeheads which is the real impetus for the different prison lengths.

    The criticism over three strikes just doesn't make sense to me. You have two guys one who has committed his first felony and may be able to reform and another who has been in and out of jail all his life and has proved he can't live within society's rules. How is it remotely fair to treat them the same.

    False dichotomy, those aren't the only two types of people in the criminal justice system.

    So It Goes on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Well I'd surmise that the two actually relate in a way.

    Black women for the most part have had to play dual roles when it comes to raising children, mostly due to the high percentage of absent fathers - who are either locked up, with another woman, unemployed..take your pick really. As a single mother has to not only play father and mother to their children, they also have less time and patience for other issues and end up becoming harsher and less feminine. Without a partner to help support the home life, they are forced to become wholly independant and will sometimes even adopt the "I don't need no man" mindset. All of these things combined, plus more issues I'm sure I've left out, tend to perpetuate their remaining single.

    Daughters raised by mothers in this scenario tend to adopt their mannerisms, which results in hyper-independant young women who tend to drive most men off. They don't understand the subtlties required to "keep" a man, as they never learned them from their own mother. If they do hook up with someone, the relationship has a good chance of being flawed from the start, with the female treating the male like a child as opposed to the partner, resulting in the male often cheating on them or abruptly leaving them for someone argueably more feminine.

    I myself came from a single mother household and had no male figure in my life, which has lead to somewhat similar complications when it came to relationships.

    When it comes down to it, most men tend to want to be in relationships where they feel they are "needed." When a woman has been raised to be hyper-independent, ends up doing everything, and doesn't know how to cater to a man's need to be needed, problems arise. Many men tend to seek out women they can take care of, or at the very least be partners with.

    You may not be wrong, but you're painting a very unflattering picture of how you think men are. Overgrown egos who need to be coddled into tolerating the company of a female? That's terrible. I don't think most men are really like that, but if they were I'd be opting out of the whole shebang myself.

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    crack gives longer sentences then cocaine.

    Of course they totally ignore the fact that Crackheads are more likely to commit violent crimes then cokeheads which is the real impetus for the different prison lengths.

    The criticism over three strikes just doesn't make sense to me. You have two guys one who has committed his first felony and may be able to reform and another who has been in and out of jail all his life and has proved he can't live within society's rules. How is it remotely fair to treat them the same.

    Two things: Crackheads being more violent stems from their lower economic position. A homeless crackhead is much more likely to mugg someone, then a stockbrooker with cocain habit.

    Secondly: The three strikes rules are horribly misguided. They place stealing a slice of pizza in the same catgory as attempted murder.

    Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    crack gives longer sentences then cocaine.

    Of course they totally ignore the fact that Crackheads are more likely to commit violent crimes then cokeheads which is the real impetus for the different prison lengths.

    The criticism over three strikes just doesn't make sense to me. You have two guys one who has committed his first felony and may be able to reform and another who has been in and out of jail all his life and has proved he can't live within society's rules. How is it remotely fair to treat them the same.

    That's a bullshit reason for disparate sentences. If crack addicts truly DO commit more violent crime than cokeheads, then try and sentence them for those crimes. Giving them a longer sentence because they're statistically more likely to have MAYBE done something else is ridiculous.

    There's also the fact that violent crime is a small percentage of total crime, both in number of offenses and cost to society, yet the vast majority of law enforcement efforts go towards violent crime and drug offenses because that sort of stuff wins elections.

    RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    crack gives longer sentences then cocaine.

    Of course they totally ignore the fact that Crackheads are more likely to commit violent crimes then cokeheads which is the real impetus for the different prison lengths.

    The criticism over three strikes just doesn't make sense to me. You have two guys one who has committed his first felony and may be able to reform and another who has been in and out of jail all his life and has proved he can't live within society's rules. How is it remotely fair to treat them the same.

    False dichotomy, those aren't the only two types of people in the criminal justice system.

    No but there the people that three strikes is meant to address. At a certain point a career criminal has proven that he can not live within the law and I have no problem with the state locking his ass up and throwing away the key.

    frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    crack gives longer sentences then cocaine.

    Of course they totally ignore the fact that Crackheads are more likely to commit violent crimes then cokeheads which is the real impetus for the different prison lengths.

    The criticism over three strikes just doesn't make sense to me. You have two guys one who has committed his first felony and may be able to reform and another who has been in and out of jail all his life and has proved he can't live within society's rules. How is it remotely fair to treat them the same.

    False dichotomy, those aren't the only two types of people in the criminal justice system.

    No but there the people that three strikes is meant to address. At a certain point a career criminal has proven that he can not live within the law and I have no problem with the state locking his ass up and throwing away the key.

    Sure, but are mandatory minimums and the bad side effects they bring with them necessary to do that?

    So It Goes on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    LRG wrote: »
    How does a thread on institutionally racist drug laws fucking up black families become about if white guys find black women attractive?

    I'm fucking disgusted.

    Yeah, I tried this on page 5. The point didn't seem to make it past the wall of cocks clamouring for attention.

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Secondly: The three strikes rules are horribly misguided. They place stealing a slice of pizza in the same catgory as attempted murder.

    I'm pretty sure stealing a slice of pizza isn't a felony. (and thus, not applicable to a 3rd strike law)

    unless, you know, you were stealing it at gunpoint.

    SaraLuna on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah man, bitches only care about your ride and your wallet. That's what gets them in the sack.

    :rolleyes:

    To be fair, it's not exactly uncommon. It's just an unfair generalization.

    It's not common either.

    Move into any really urban area, and it becomes far more common. Get out of the sticks. I know for a fact that the quality of ass I hit, goes up if I rent a BMW. that's life, i'd never marry one of them, that would be dumb.

    But if I want top quality ass, rent a car, hit up a place that costs 30 bucks a martini, and you get the top women.

    If I just want to get laid, got to any random bar, girl won't be as hot, but I don't have to buy her drinks, and she doesn't car about me lacking a car.

    That's life.

    No, that's your fucked up not-real world. Probably one where you go home alone and blame said fact on your lack of a nice car.

    I DO live in a major urban area. I've lived in several different ones in fact. You are full of shit.

    nah I get my dick wet weekly, not my issue.

    But I know how to fuck my way through a bar. I can game anybody off looks at a dive, if I want top ass, I have to go compete with people making double my income off 30 buck drinks. So I need to work that.

    It's life, that's how it goes.

    Yes, I truly believe that the only way you can get a high-class woman is by paying for her in some manner.

    The rest of us just use our charm and wit for the same effect.

    I know for a fact that at 100+ buck a plate dinner, I get hotter woman that at 20 buck a plate joint. So I use that, it's a fact, you don't have to like it, but that is reality.

    psychotix on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Psychotix, before you get banned (god, fingers crossed), you need to appreciate that you're living in a subculture that the rest of us seem to have little familiarity with. Shorter: The whole world doesn't work the way it does within your godawful local bar scene.

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Two things: Crackheads being more violent stems from their lower economic position. A homeless crackhead is much more likely to mugg someone, then a stockbrooker with cocain habit.

    Secondly: The three strikes rules are horribly misguided. They place stealing a slice of pizza in the same catgory as attempted murder.

    They place stealing a slice of pizza + 2-3 previous felonies as equal to attempted murder. If you have proven you can not live within the law don't come crying to me when the state locks you up for forever and a day.

    As for crackheads vs. cokeheads, whats your point one is still more prone to violence then the other. You just stated the reason for it, which does not change the facts on the ground.

    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    That's a bullshit reason for disparate sentences. If crack addicts truly DO commit more violent crime than cokeheads, then try and sentence them for those crimes. Giving them a longer sentence because they're statistically more likely to have MAYBE done something else is ridiculous.

    Thats how the law works the more dangerous something is the worse the sentence. For example breaking into a house while the owners are away will give you less years then breaking into the house when people are home (whether or not you know that is the case). The simple reason being one is inherently more dangerous to society then the other.
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    There's also the fact that violent crime is a small percentage of total crime, both in number of offenses and cost to society, yet the vast majority of law enforcement efforts go towards violent crime and drug offenses because that sort of stuff wins elections.

    :?

    Seriously, are you arguing that non-violent offenses, you know graffiti, speeding tickets, check fraud cost more to society then violent offenses (rape, murder, armed robbery)? (even if they are more numerous).

    The vast majority of law enforcement efforts should go to violent crime. Given the choice between solving a murder and solving a car theft I would rather they solved the murder.

    No arguement over drug offenses though. The war on drugs is nothing but silly goosery at its finest.

    frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I remember seeing a study recently showing that women reacted more strongly to how a man talks than any other facet of his wealth or appearance. Wish I could find it.

    surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    Psychotix, before you get banned (god, fingers crossed), you need to appreciate that you're living in a subculture that the rest of us seem to have little familiarity with. Shorter: The whole world doesn't work the way it does within your godawful local bar scene.

    It's worked like that in every country I've been in, and every city I've been in. This isn't just DC, DC is bad because of the money involved, but this is how life works.

    psychotix on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    crack gives longer sentences then cocaine.

    Of course they totally ignore the fact that Crackheads are more likely to commit violent crimes then cokeheads which is the real impetus for the different prison lengths.

    The criticism over three strikes just doesn't make sense to me. You have two guys one who has committed his first felony and may be able to reform and another who has been in and out of jail all his life and has proved he can't live within society's rules. How is it remotely fair to treat them the same.

    ...And that makes the laws institutionally racist because?

    Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    Psychotix, before you get banned (god, fingers crossed), you need to appreciate that you're living in a subculture that the rest of us seem to have little familiarity with. Shorter: The whole world doesn't work the way it does within your godawful local bar scene.

    It's worked like that in every country I've been in, and every city I've been in. This isn't just DC, DC is bad because of the money involved, but this is how life works.
    You can keep repeating it, but that's not gonna convince anyone that it's true.

    So It Goes on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    so you're admitting you're completely ignorant of the history of drug prohibition in the U.S.?


    Look up Harry J. Anslinger who waged a race based fear campaign against weed, criminalizing it, and was America's first Drug Czar.

    I mean..... considering the history of this country, did you think the disproportionate incarceration of black males is a huge coincidence?

    LRG on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah man, bitches only care about your ride and your wallet. That's what gets them in the sack.

    :rolleyes:

    To be fair, it's not exactly uncommon. It's just an unfair generalization.

    It's not common either.

    Move into any really urban area, and it becomes far more common. Get out of the sticks. I know for a fact that the quality of ass I hit, goes up if I rent a BMW. that's life, i'd never marry one of them, that would be dumb.

    But if I want top quality ass, rent a car, hit up a place that costs 30 bucks a martini, and you get the top women.

    If I just want to get laid, got to any random bar, girl won't be as hot, but I don't have to buy her drinks, and she doesn't car about me lacking a car.

    That's life.

    No, that's your fucked up not-real world. Probably one where you go home alone and blame said fact on your lack of a nice car.

    I DO live in a major urban area. I've lived in several different ones in fact. You are full of shit.

    nah I get my dick wet weekly, not my issue.

    But I know how to fuck my way through a bar. I can game anybody off looks at a dive, if I want top ass, I have to go compete with people making double my income off 30 buck drinks. So I need to work that.

    It's life, that's how it goes.

    Yes, I truly believe that the only way you can get a high-class woman is by paying for her in some manner.

    The rest of us just use our charm and wit for the same effect.

    I know for a fact that at 100+ buck a plate dinner, I get hotter woman that at 20 buck a plate joint. So I use that, it's a fact, you don't have to like it, but that is reality.

    I don't care about this, it's retarded, and it has nothing to do with the topic. Thank you for not talking more about it.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Two things: Crackheads being more violent stems from their lower economic position. A homeless crackhead is much more likely to mugg someone, then a stockbrooker with cocain habit.

    Secondly: The three strikes rules are horribly misguided. They place stealing a slice of pizza in the same catgory as attempted murder.

    They place stealing a slice of pizza + 2-3 previous felonies as equal to attempted murder. If you have proven you can not live within the law don't come crying to me when the state locks you up for forever and a day.

    As for crackheads vs. cokeheads, whats your point one is still more prone to violence then the other. You just stated the reason for it, which does not change the facts on the ground.

    The facts on the ground is that Crackheads are poorer generally then Cokeheads. Poorer people need to steal in order to support expensive habit, rich people do not.

    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Don't steal shit if you've already gone to jail twice for it?

    Or, better yet, don't steal shit at all.

    SaraLuna on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LRG wrote: »
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?
    I mean..... considering the history of this country, did you think the disproportionate incarceration of black males is a huge coincidence?

    black people are more likely to be poor.

    poor people are more likely to commit crimes.

    There you go.

    The problem is poverty not some evil justice system and pretending the mythical evil justice system is oppressing all those murderers is just going to perpetuate the problem not solve it.
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    The facts on the ground is that Crackheads are poorer generally then Cokeheads. Poorer people need to steal in order to support expensive habit, rich people do not.

    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Crackheads vs Cokeheads--Whats your point. One is more violent then the other, the whys and wherefores are irrelevant. I never claimed it was anything other than poverty vs. wealth, but that does not change the violence.

    As for your other point: steal less. I personally would not give them that long of a sentence. But I am not going to lose sleep over it.

    frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Don't steal shit if you've already gone to jail twice for it?

    Or, better yet, don't steal shit at all.

    Man you should visit my county jail! You could solve all our recidivism problems!

    So It Goes on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LRG wrote: »
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    so you're admitting you're completely ignorant of the history of drug prohibition in the U.S.?


    Look up Harry J. Anslinger who waged a race based fear campaign against weed, criminalizing it, and was America's first Drug Czar.

    I mean..... considering the history of this country, did you think the disproportionate incarceration of black males is a huge coincidence?

    I can imagine that higher rates of incarceration correlate with higher rates of poverty. Are you saying that certain drug crimes carry higher sentences because those crimes are mostly perpetrated by black people? And this was done intentionally by racist lawmakers?

    I'm just asking.

    Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    Psychotix, before you get banned (god, fingers crossed), you need to appreciate that you're living in a subculture that the rest of us seem to have little familiarity with. Shorter: The whole world doesn't work the way it does within your godawful local bar scene.

    It's worked like that in every country I've been in, and every city I've been in. This isn't just DC, DC is bad because of the money involved, but this is how life works.
    You can keep repeating it, but that's not gonna convince anyone that it's true.

    I have no trouble believing that ostentatious shows of material wealth can get people to jump in the sack with you.

    I just find those people disgusting--both the people throwing their wealth around, and the people willing to jump in bed with them--and I have no desire to "get my dick wet" with them.

    Probably not coincidentally, that has got to be one of the grossest phrases I've heard in a while.

    MrMister on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    Because it has been showed time and time again that Black guys get jail terms for shit that gets White guys probation.

    There is also the idea of treating Crack Cocaine (a drug found mainly amongst the black community) as a much worse drug(jail wise) then regular Cocaine (a drug thats used amongst the white community).

    That makes the laws racist.

    So tired of this, the reason crack is treated worse is that during the 80s(when all the tough on crack stuff started) the giant spike in violent crime was because of the crack trade. Blow using suburbia wasn't shooting itself apart. Beyond that to act like locking away crackheads and dealers somehow deprives the black community of its male role-model backbone is laughable.

    tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would assume Pys goes to bars that are probably known for being places for women trying to sleep with rich/well off men to get some sort of token. Like legal prostitution. Hell, I've seen it myself.

    However, that's not every bar or most bars. Probably not even 'many' bars, but it does happen. Such a thing is degrading to both parties, but hey, if it works for them, so be it.

    Also I think it's kind of silly to bitch about some of these women being called 'ass' when they themselves probably think of themselves that way. I highly doubt these are struggling individuals who do this to pay off college or whatnot - they just know how to get money in a way that's 'easy' for them.

    As far as jail sentencing goes, I'm not really big on jailing people for drug related crimes (that is, drug only, not other crimes while done on drugs). This includes pot, crack, meth and any other such substance. We don't send people to prison for being drunks, do we? Sure, we might throw them in the drunk tank, but that's not the same thing.

    Additionally, in some circles it's a self-fullfilling (sp?) prophecy - "I'm black, life won't be fair to me, so I'm not gonna play by the rules. Oh look, life wasn't fair to me."

    I have a question to ask: If not done by an outside force but rather by inner changes over time, is there any crime in letting certain races/cultures die off? I'm not saying they should be forgotten (historical documents!) or anything should be done to change this, but why should we care if in 20,000 years there are no longer 100% black or white or asian people? Like, diversity is neat and all and I have nothing against it, but sometimes people seem to cling to things for the sake of clinging.

    Magus` on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    Because it has been showed time and time again that Black guys get jail terms for shit that gets White guys probation.

    There is also the idea of treating Crack Cocaine (a drug found mainly amongst the black community) as a much worse drug(jail wise) then regular Cocaine (a drug thats used amongst the white community).

    That makes the laws racist.

    So tired of this, the reason crack is treated worse is that during the 80s(when all the tough on crack stuff started) the giant spike in violent crime was because of the crack trade. Blow using suburbia wasn't shooting itself apart. Beyond that to act like locking away crackheads and dealers somehow deprives the black community of its male role-model backbone is laughable.

    They are the same drug, they should have the same sentence.

    and poor people becoming criminals and criminals having conflicts is not reason enough for that too change.

    White guys got sentenced to rehab, black guys got sentenced to jail. for the same drug.

    If a cokehead can clean up his act and become a functioning member of society, why can't a crackhead be allowed to do the same

    Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Don't steal shit if you've already gone to jail twice for it?

    Or, better yet, don't steal shit at all.

    Really I can't even begin to process your thought process, I'm getting some kind of input error trying to synch my brain with this mindset.


    You don't see a problem with someone getting life in prison for a minor marijuana offense in a state that in all likelyhood will actually make the substance legal within the next couple of years? Really?

    override367 on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Don't steal shit if you've already gone to jail twice for it?

    Or, better yet, don't steal shit at all.

    Really I can't even begin to process your thought process, I'm getting some kind of input error trying to synch my brain with this mindset.


    You don't see a problem with someone getting life in prison for a minor marijuana offense in a state that in all likelyhood will actually make the substance legal within the next couple of years? Really?

    Don't be a silly goose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition_36

    frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Don't steal shit if you've already gone to jail twice for it?

    Or, better yet, don't steal shit at all.

    Really I can't even begin to process your thought process, I'm getting some kind of input error trying to synch my brain with this mindset.


    You don't see a problem with someone getting life in prison for a minor marijuana offense in a state that in all likelyhood will actually make the substance legal within the next couple of years? Really?

    What?
    I have not mentioned marijuana anywhere in this thread, nor have I responded to posts mentioning that drug.

    To answer your question, no, I don't think marijuana possession should be be a life sentence. I actually think it should be completely legal. But marijuana possession isn't a felony, let alone a violent one, so I really don't know why you're bringing it up.

    Kipling mentioned someone getting 20 years for committing 3 robberies. I think once you've been in and out of jail twice and start robbing shit again, you've committed yourself to a life of crime and why shouldn't we lock you up for longer?

    SaraLuna on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But marijuana possession isn't a felony, let alone a violent one, so I really don't know why you're bringing it up.
    Marijuana possession can be a felony depending on the amount possessed and previous convictions.

    Couscous on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Don't steal shit if you've already gone to jail twice for it?

    Or, better yet, don't steal shit at all.

    Really I can't even begin to process your thought process, I'm getting some kind of input error trying to synch my brain with this mindset.


    You don't see a problem with someone getting life in prison for a minor marijuana offense in a state that in all likelyhood will actually make the substance legal within the next couple of years? Really?

    What?
    I have not mentioned marijuana anywhere in this thread, nor have I responded to posts mentioning that drug.

    To answer your question, no, I don't think marijuana possession should be be a life sentence. I actually think it should be completely legal. But marijuana possession isn't a felony, let alone a violent one, so I really don't know why you're bringing it up.

    Kipling mentioned someone getting 20 years for committing 3 robberies. I think once you've been in and out of jail twice and start robbing shit again, you've committed yourself to a life of crime and why shouldn't we lock you up for longer?

    Either way if you all you've done is steal pizza 3 times you wouldn't actually be up for 3 strikes since you need to have theft related priors in order for them to push felony petty theft against you. When you go for that 4th slice, that's when they get you. Either way, if you're a habitual pizza thief, I'd rather you get the fuck away from my pizza and go to jail, cause I'm not giving it up without a fight.

    TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Don't steal shit if you've already gone to jail twice for it?

    Or, better yet, don't steal shit at all.

    Really I can't even begin to process your thought process, I'm getting some kind of input error trying to synch my brain with this mindset.


    You don't see a problem with someone getting life in prison for a minor marijuana offense in a state that in all likelyhood will actually make the substance legal within the next couple of years? Really?

    What?
    I have not mentioned marijuana anywhere in this thread, nor have I responded to posts mentioning that drug.

    To answer your question, no, I don't think marijuana possession should be be a life sentence. I actually think it should be completely legal. But marijuana possession isn't a felony, let alone a violent one, so I really don't know why you're bringing it up.

    Kipling mentioned someone getting 20 years for committing 3 robberies. I think once you've been in and out of jail twice and start robbing shit again, you've committed yourself to a life of crime and why shouldn't we lock you up for longer?

    I mentioned 3 shopliftings, not 3 robberies. 3 seperate theft of a slice of Pizza was what I mentioned. The 3 strikes laws open for throwing a man in Jail for that.

    Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Don't steal shit if you've already gone to jail twice for it?

    Or, better yet, don't steal shit at all.

    Really I can't even begin to process your thought process, I'm getting some kind of input error trying to synch my brain with this mindset.


    You don't see a problem with someone getting life in prison for a minor marijuana offense in a state that in all likelyhood will actually make the substance legal within the next couple of years? Really?

    What?
    I have not mentioned marijuana anywhere in this thread, nor have I responded to posts mentioning that drug.

    To answer your question, no, I don't think marijuana possession should be be a life sentence. I actually think it should be completely legal. But marijuana possession isn't a felony, let alone a violent one, so I really don't know why you're bringing it up.

    Kipling mentioned someone getting 20 years for committing 3 robberies. I think once you've been in and out of jail twice and start robbing shit again, you've committed yourself to a life of crime and why shouldn't we lock you up for longer?

    Stealing a slice of pizza is not robbery.

    Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    And what if you steal a slice of pizza on 3 separate occasions? Because the law is the same as if you tried to kill 3 people. There are cases of people sent to jail for 20 years for 3 minor offences. Thats facts on the ground too.

    Don't steal shit if you've already gone to jail twice for it?

    Or, better yet, don't steal shit at all.

    Really I can't even begin to process your thought process, I'm getting some kind of input error trying to synch my brain with this mindset.


    You don't see a problem with someone getting life in prison for a minor marijuana offense in a state that in all likelyhood will actually make the substance legal within the next couple of years? Really?

    What?
    I have not mentioned marijuana anywhere in this thread, nor have I responded to posts mentioning that drug.

    To answer your question, no, I don't think marijuana possession should be be a life sentence. I actually think it should be completely legal. But marijuana possession isn't a felony, let alone a violent one, so I really don't know why you're bringing it up.

    Kipling mentioned someone getting 20 years for committing 3 robberies. I think once you've been in and out of jail twice and start robbing shit again, you've committed yourself to a life of crime and why shouldn't we lock you up for longer?

    I mentioned 3 shopliftings, not 3 robberies. 3 seperate theft of a slice of Pizza was what I mentioned. The 3 strikes laws open for throwing a man in Jail for that.

    in that case, I'd like to see your cite for someone getting 20 years for 3 $2 shoplifting charges.

    SaraLuna on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LRG wrote: »
    How are the drug laws institutionally racist, LRG?

    so you're admitting you're completely ignorant of the history of drug prohibition in the U.S.?


    Look up Harry J. Anslinger who waged a race based fear campaign against weed, criminalizing it, and was America's first Drug Czar.

    I mean..... considering the history of this country, did you think the disproportionate incarceration of black males is a huge coincidence?

    I can imagine that higher rates of incarceration correlate with higher rates of poverty. Are you saying that certain drug crimes carry higher sentences because those crimes are mostly perpetrated by black people? And this was done intentionally by racist lawmakers?

    I'm just asking.

    Well, you're not wrong about your first assertion. I'm not saying that drug crimes have higher sentences because those crimes are mostly perpetrated by black people, I'm saying black people are often sentenced more harshly for the same crimes, not to mention are profiled; and yes, these law were placed there intentionally by lawmakers. It's pretty obvious.

    LRG on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't have one, but the Law opens for it. The case that fits best is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leandro_Andrade

    Guy with 2 shoplifting charges for videotapes got 50 years.

    Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
Sign In or Register to comment.