As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E PbP] The Gladiators T1 - uri, vinciri, verberari, ferroque necari

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ignoring the small kobold with the sling Baelin concentrated on his larger partner. He seemed the more dangerous, at least as dangerous as a pair of scared, wounded kobolds can be. A heartbeat after uttering a word of power an orb of light slammed into the kobold, consuming him whole. When the light subsided the kobold was cumpled on the ground, bloody and lifeless with burn marks and cuts.

Baelin lowers his head and says a quick prayer for the dead - even kobolds go to the Raven Queen in death.

Finish that last one off he calls out, content at how the battle turned out, short as it was. His new companions seemed competent, which is fortunate as the king probably wants to see a lot more fights.
    Avenging light crit on KD1 for way more than he had

http://4e.orokos.com/roll/16234

KR2 - 9hp

Phyphor on
  • Options
    WaikWaik Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Staggering back from the projectile that just nailed him in the jaw, Thonan grumbles an insult towards the slinger and spits on the ground. He speaks a holy word and light surges around his face, healing is wounds.

"Now it's time to pay !" he yells at the slinger rushing foward. Focusing Kord's power to his weapon he swings his weapon on the kobold's head crushing it's skull into blody pulp. The kobold's lifeless body slips to the ground as Thonan sheates his weapon on his back and starts waving at the crowd.
    Healing word bonus (1d6=2)
    Thonan regains 5+2 hp and is back to full. Thonan is now at 6/7 surges.

Move to D9

War Priest's Strike (1d20+6=19, 2d10+4=11)
    Yay the kobolds are down ! Nice job everyone !

Waik on
  • Options
    QuidamQuidam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    With battle over, Arnell moves from his position far away from the group closer to the other members. United in victory, this would be a good opportunity to figure out who these fellow prisoners are.

Good thing that there were no serious injuries among us. Do any of you have any idea as to why we are fighting for this king's amusement? I was suddenly taken from my village to this place and cannot help but wonder who this king is

By the way, my name is Arnell Dredger. Pleasure to meet you.

Quidam on
    Current Character: Arnell Dredger, Human Psion
    Current Campaign: The Gladiators T1
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As the last kobold goes down, the crowd cheers and shouts with excitement of having watched the spectacle you were just made to take part in. The king, still hazy behind the shimmering air in front of him, claps and stands from his throne.

Excellent job and good show! he says, continuing to clap. I am pleased with these new gladiators, but I think we shall test their mettle. What say you?! The crowd lets out a loud shout of approval, and the sky darkens slightly. Dark flashes of light, similar to lightning but obviously not, start to appear overhead. This dark lightning flashes down around the arena. The ground around you in the piles of rubble begins to move, and you realize that these piles of rubble aren't just dust and stone, but bones and bodies!

Hands and arms in various stages of decay start to emerge from the piles as reanimated gladiators are brought back for yet another battle!

Map:
    2mee1qf.jpg

Initiative Order:
    Roll Initiative!
    Undead

Stats:
    Arnell - HP 24/24 - AC 14 - F 12 - R 15 - W 16
    Zsam - HP 18/32 - AC 16 - F 15 - R 13 - W 13
    Baelin - HP 24/28 - AC 16 - F 15 - R 13 - W 15
    Thonan - HP 22/22 - AC 16 - F 15 - R 11 - W 16
    Iskar - HP 19/33 - AC 18 - F 14 - R 15 - W 14
    Ruyz - HP 28/28 - AC 17 - F 12 - R 15 - W 16
    Decrepit Skeleton1 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    DS2 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    DS3 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    DS4 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    Skeleton1 - HP 45/45 - AC18 F15 R16 W15
    S2 - HP 45/45 - AC18 F15 R16 W15
    Zombie Rotter1 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR2 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR3 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR4 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Zombie1 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Z2 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Z3 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Gravehound - HP 54/54 - AC14 F14 R12 W11

Roll Initiative!
    While you roll initiative you may treat this time as though you are outside of combat. You may spend healing surges, etc. Also, this is counted as a separate encounter, so you get back all of your encounter abilities.

After initiative rolls, you will have a surprise round to perform one action. Attacks against the zombies and skeletons should be treated as though they are prone while they emerge from the ground. Combat Advantage if you are melee attacking, -2 to attack if you are using ranged attacks.

Remember, squares with mostly rubble in them are considered difficult terrain. D10 and H12 are not difficult terrain, just to give you an idea of how much rubble should be in the square. I know the zombies are covering up the symbols for difficult terrain in some areas.

Sorry Quidam, I didn't see your post till I posted this. I moved Arnell closer to the rest though to reflect it, and you still have some time to speak to each other during the initiative time and the surprise round so feel free to use this time to chat and introduce. There will be time to chat before too long, I won't always just jump from battle to battle like this one. :)

edit:
    I just switched to using TinyPic so Dresdenphile can see the maps at work. Let me know if that works for everyone.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It seemed that this king wasn't going to let introduction get in the way of his show. As soon as Arnell had introduced himself the king animated the dead and threw the group into another battle.

Thankful that his psionic reserves had recovered in time, Arnell steeled himself for battle yet again.
    Once again our prowess is contested friends. We must survive!
    No problem, it's more my fault for always having my laptop with me =).

Quidam on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As the last kobold got chased down, Iskar started checking over his wounds. Luckily, there was no serious damage. As the king started talking, Iskar ignored pretty much everything he said. All that mattered was sending more souls to the Raven Queen, and maybe she would let him go back.

He continued to not pay attention. At least until the magic show started, and the undead started to rise up. If there was one thing he couldn't stand, nor any servant of the Raven Queen, it was undead. It would be a pleasure to return them to the dust they had come from.

After a quick survey of the field, Iskar realized that if this rag-tag group of gladiators was going to live, they needed to stick together. So, in the interest of killing as many creatures as the King could send at them, he banged his hammer on his shield a couple of times and shouted, "Group up people, spreading out is going to get us torn apart."
    Initiative: 1d20+3 23

Also, in the space of dead kobold's to zombie fights, can I use a healing surge?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ruyz is pleased with his performance in the first round of battle. He catches his breath and looks to the new combatants.

Killing something that’s already dead? First time for everything I suppose.
    Initiative: 1d20+4 18

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Turning towards the Hobgoblin next to him Thonan extends his hand and says : "The names Thonan Red..." but before he could finish his sentence he was interupted by the voice of the king and the decrepit corpses starting to rise to his right. Glancing quickly to the rest of the battlefield he saw that there was a lot of undead rising from the ground. "What in Kord's name is this sorcery...Well ok then, resting will have to wait". Thonan grabs his weapon from his back and gets ready for the fight.

Waik on
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Magic. They always love their damned magic."It enraged the hobgoblin to see warriors who had died in combat being dragged back life, especially to amuse a human. Looking into the dead eyes of the skeleton nearest to him and seeing nothing of the warrior who had spilled his blood on these stones so long ago Zsam pointed his sword at the undead creature. "I'll return your body to Bane warrior, although it may no longer be in one piece!"
    Initiative: 14
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2482061/

I'll spend one healing surge boosting me back to 24 hp.

Sakutian on
    My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    After the battle subsides, Baelin listens to the king give his speech, not really paying much attention to his surroundings.

Suddenly he hears the revenant call out a warning. Looking around he sees rotting flesh and bones rising. Undead! Undead were an affront to authority of the Raven Queen and Baelin would not allow that. He realizes that the revenant is right that they should group up, but he is loathe to retreat from the dead.

The combination of anger at the undead and listening to the king caused him to be a little slower to react than normal.
    Spend a healing surge, full health

Initiative: 7

http://4e.orokos.com/roll/16260
    Guess I'm going last.

Arc: would you rule that brody would be hit by rebuke undead? I'm not sure if revenants count as actual undead and I don't have my references here right now

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    @Phyphor:
    From the Revenant listing:

Undead: You are considered to be an undead creature for effects that relate to that keyword. You are also considered a living creature.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Should we try and regroup as Iskar suggested or just keep fighting whatever is closest?

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Guess I'm going last.

Arc: would you rule that brody would be hit by rebuke undead? I'm not sure if revenants count as actual undead and I don't have my references here right now
    I guess we all get healing surges. Lol. Iskar is at 27

And yes, rebuke undead will hit me. At least RAW.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Sakutian wrote: »
    Should we try and regroup as Iskar suggested or just keep fighting whatever is closest?
    I think me and Sakutian could probably clear our corner and then move towards the middle. But grouping up quickly might be good considering the number of undead here. Do any of the undead look like they could pose a threath at range ? (perception check in the spoiler if needed)

Waik on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Brody: Yes, you can use healing surges, but it looks like you already discovered that

Waik: Perception doesn't reveal anything in particular. The creatures are still emerging from the ground so it's hard to tell what type of attacks they might use.

And it sounds like revenants count like undead and living both, so I suppose he would get hit by rebuke undead. I'm curious though since they are living and undead if healing them would both heal and hurt them so it would essentially do nothing..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Map:
    2mee1qf.jpg

Initiative Order:
    Iskar
    Ruyz
    Thonan
    Zsam
    Arnell
    Undead
    Baelin

Stats:
    Baelin - HP 28/28 - AC 16 - F 15 - R 13 - W 15
    Iskar - HP 27/33 - AC 18 - F 14 - R 15 - W 14
    Zsam - HP 24/32 - AC 16 - F 15 - R 13 - W 13
    DS2 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    DS3 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    DS4 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    ZR2 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR3 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    ZR4 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Zombie1 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Z2 - HP 40/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10

Surprise Round!
    Iskar!
    Attacks against the zombies and skeletons should be treated as though they are prone while they emerge from the ground. Combat Advantage if you are melee attacking, -2 to attack if you are using ranged attacks.

Remember, squares with mostly rubble in them are considered difficult terrain. D10 and H12 are not difficult terrain, just to give you an idea of how much rubble should be in the square. I know the zombies are covering up the symbols for difficult terrain in some areas.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry, fiancee's birthday party, I wont be able to get a post in tonight guys.

Brody on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    Sorry, fiancee's birthday party, I wont be able to get a post in tonight guys.
    Have fun.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Assuming that the group would attempt to make themselves defensible, Iskar steps towards the nearest group. Rage begins to fill him, a burning fiery passion. The dead should stay dead. Forever.
    Move to H11 and use Berserkers Fury. +2 to all damage.

Damn, I manage to get a post in, and still fuck it up.

Brody on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Suprise round - one action only, can't move and attack.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Correct, sorry, I probably should have made that a bit clearer

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Correct, sorry, I probably should have made that a bit clearer
    I suppose it's also worth pointing out they have no opportunity attacks either, no need to shift

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Am I supposed to go twice in a row then?

Brody on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    We all go in order this round skipping the undead. Then you go again at the start of the real fight. I suppose we could simplify it by taking the suprise round action followed by the 1st round and get basically the same result. That's up to Arc

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I suggest going in order just so you can see where everyone is moving and act accordingly on your full round.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

Looks like Ruyz is up next?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ruyz wraps two tentacles of shadow around one of the sturdier skeletons as he hurls a bolt of darkness at the nearest creature. The energy slams into the skeleton but doesn’t harm the undead.
    Free Action: Two Shrouds on S2.

Standard: Executioner's Noose vs DS1 (13): 1d20+4+2 11 1d6+4 8 Miss!

Free Action: Wave my fist at the skeleton like a crotchety old man wanting those kids to stay off his lawn.

Table talk note:
    I'm going to try to soften up S2 with a full complement of shrouds, so pretty please don't explode him until I do so. :P

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thonan takes a swing on the skeleton next to him hoping to destroy it before it gets out of the ground. His weapon connects with the skeleton's skull crushing it into dust. The rest of the bones fall to the ground lifelessly.
    Priest's Shield on DS3: (1d20+6+2=27)
    DS3 goes down and Zsam and me gain a +1 to AC until the end of my next turn

Waik on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Leaping through the falling bones of the skeleton that Thonan had only just dispatched Zsam rolled into a crouch burying his blade up to the hilt in the gut of the rising undead. Black ooze poured from the wound and the stink of it made the hobgoblin wretch as it spilled over his blade.

"Stay back human, these beasts will gut you where you stand. Leave the battling to a warrior!" Zsam pulled his blade free once more preparing to face the undead assault.
    Charge to C,11
    Attack Howling Strike Zombie1
    19 Attack Roll vs. 13 AC Hit!
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2485580/

Damage Roll 13
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2485569/

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The undead were rising fast, from all corners of the arena. Hearing the giant's words cautioning the group to stick together, Arnell focuses a psychic assualt on the group that is most threatening to the giant's new position.

Unable to comprehend how to assault the mind of the zombie dog, Arnell nevertheless tears into the two humanoid zombies, causing one of them to moan in annoyance and the other to cease trying to get out of its old grave.

Dishearten Area Burst 1 centered on H14.

Attacks on GH, Z2, RZ3
    GH= miss
    Z2 = HIT, -2 to attacks until the end of my next turn [effectively null b/c this is surprise round]
    RZ3 = HIT, POOF DEAD!

Damage
    Damage = 5 psychic

Quidam on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Seeing a chance to destroy the zombies at the top of the arena before battle is joined Baelin hurls bolts of holy light from his hand in quick succession at a nearby skeleton and pair of zombies. Two of them are hit and crumple to the ground, but Baelin trips while making his final strike and hits the ground in front of his feet instead.

Muttering a curse to himself he regains his balance and prepares for the coming attack.

http://4e.orokos.com/roll/16350

DS2, RZ4 are dead (wrote down wrong targets in the roll description, I should probably check when I paste next time)

I have +2 AC

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Surprise round is over, now normal round so you can move, minor, and standard. Iskar's turn!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Map:
    2czc7xs.jpg

I quickly edited this at work, so let me know if I got something wrong.

Initiative Order:
    Iskar
    Ruyz
    Thonan
    Zsam
    Arnell
    Undead
    Baelin

Stats:
    Baelin - HP 28/28 - AC 16 - F 15 - R 13 - W 15 - +2 AC until EONT
    Iskar - HP 27/33 - AC 18 - F 14 - R 15 - W 14
    Zsam - HP 24/32 - AC 16 - F 15 - R 13 - W 13
    DS4 - AC16 F13 R14 W13
    ZR2 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Zombie1 - HP 27/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10
    Z2 - HP 35/40 - AC13 F13 R9 W10

Iskar!
    Normal round, take full move, minor, and standard actions. Zombies are considered standing, so no more CA for melee and no more -2 for ranged.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Taking the chance to attack while the zombie's finished their slow climb to surface, Iskar drives a bolt of lightning into the gravehounds face, hammer end first. As a wave of thunder rolls off and into the zombie adjacent, he draws back his hammer and slams it into the hounds face again. Or at least tries.
    Move to G-13, through G-11 to avoid OA.

Mark the two nearby zombies

Tempest Assault vs AC: 1d20+5 22 1d10+3+2 13

Gravehound takes 13 damage. Zombie Z2 takes 3 damage.

Action Point!

Weight of Earth vs AC: 1d20+5 8 1d10+3 0 v.v

Brody on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Ruyz makes a repeat performance, shrouding the strong skeleton in shadow and missing the weaker one with tendril of darkness.

Dammit!

Eager to move away from the accursed skeleton, the assassin rushes across the battlefield seeking a more advantageous position.
    Free Action: Shroud S2 (3 total)
    Standard Action: Executioner's Noose vs. DS1 (13): 1d20+4 10 1d6+4 8 Miss!

Move action: Move to G9.

Summary:
    **Ruyz in G9
    **S2 has 3 Shrouds on him.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hey Arc, just checking since you didn't note it on the stats list - I have 18 AC this turn due to Invoker's Defense

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok, I added it in.

dresden, what do shrouds do again?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Assassin's Shroud:
    At-Will Shadow
    Free Action Close burst 10

Target: One enemy you can see in burst

Effect: You subject the target to your shroud. If any of your shrouds are already on the target, you subject it to an additional shroud, up to a maximum of four. The shrouds last until you use this power against a different enemy or until the end of the encounter.

Before you make an attack roll against the target, you choose to invoke either all your shrouds on it or none of them. If you invoke your shrouds, the attack deals 1d6 damage per shroud, minus one shroud if the attack misses, and all your shrouds then vanish from the target. This damage roll never benefits from bonuses to damage rolls, and is in addition to the attack’s damage, if any.
    Basically, it's the Assassin's Striker damage. Instead of dealing extra damage every round like a Warlock or Ranger, assassins let it build up to devastating effect.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "I'm not scared of zombies goblin ! Here watch this !" Thonan shouts in Zsam's direction. He circles around the zombie and channels his power into his mace readying his swing. Unfortunatly, as he's about to swing Thonan looses his footing as a peice of rubble he was standing on gives way and his swing misses the zombie completly. Oh I'm not gonna hear the end of this... Thonan said to himself as he got back his footing on a more solid piece of rubble.
    Move 5 squares to D12 (3 normal 1 difficult)
    Righteous Brand on Z1 : (1d20+6=7) vs AC = critical miss o_O

Waik on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Zsam watched with some amusement as Thonan circled one of the zombies, mace in hand, and swung at it only to miss wildly. "Hmph. Like I just said human..." The hobgoblin turned his attention back to the zombie next to him and lifted his sword overhead, then brought it down cleaving the creature's head in two and continuing the cut onward well past it shoulders. "...leave the fighting to real warriors."
    Standard Action: Avalanche Strike on Zombie1

Attack Roll 16
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2486246/

Damage Roll 23
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2486249/

Effect: Until the start of my next turn, any attacker gains a +4 bonus to attack rolls against me.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch