Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If that's Blue Devil's broken trident, signifying his death, then eff you DC.

Eff you right in the business.

Munch on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He got blown up in Starman along with a lot of other people didn't he

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He did, but he came back. He was in Shadowpact, Day of Vengeance, and Reign in Hell. Though I'm actually more a fan of his old series than his more recent appearances. Back in the day, he was basically this weird amalgamation of science and magic, which turned him into a "weirdness magnet," causing the universe to constantly dump demons, aliens, and all other kinds of weird shit into his lap. Which I always thought was a really neat hook for a series, and a convenient way to have him encounter whatever the writers wanted him to deal with that month.

I think it's more likely Magog's trident, but I could see it going either way.

Munch on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Didn't Magog recently have a maxie-series devoted to him? Within the context of that story, does it even make sense for him to be connected to Brightest Day? I thought the last year or so of JSA was about Magog?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Magog had an ongoing that was just cancelled and it looks like the JSA books are about to get a creative shake up. They could easily throw in a Brightest Day death for Magog to clear the way for new JSA ideas.

Rans on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It'd be nice if it was.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I think it is, Wildcat.

Here is the official promo piece:

1279628360.jpg

inspiration for this promo comes from Peter Blume's The Rock

120533_672211.jpg

Rans on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hunh. I like the original better.

Then again, that's kind of cool.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My problem with this type of promo is they're generally so overwrought and prosaic. I'll give this one some points for not directly referencing a renaissance work but something more recent. But still:

Broken weapons/items on the ground? Check.
    Fallen Body/Hero? Check.
    Dramatically convalescing figure? Check.
    Broken/burning/remains of a city? Check.

The images tend to have very little to do with what will unfold in the stories, if anything at all, and end up populated with ridiculous macguffins, like Digger Harkness's long-lost stash of bloody boomerangs, or the White Lantern Tree which is pointlessly porcupined with Green Arrow's, er, arrows. Lord knows why the world's greatest archer would have need to indiscriminantly strafe a tree from all sides.

Aliveman making a tombstone will mean nothing.
    J'onn discovering fire will mean nothing.
    Firestorms moving boulders will mean nothing.

Just about the only thing guaranteed is the Aqualad, because he's one of the only elements not borrowed from the original painting, and as we can see, he's not doing much, beyond simply being there. If a brand new race of hawk people are sprouting out of the crystal hole, hey, that could be cool, but I won't hold my breath.

These pics are just cluttered, and are less than the sum of their parts.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    J'onn had (did?) overcome his fear of fire, that's why his nasty repressed martian side came out in Trial by Fire. Then he was only weak against psychic pain the flames of loss or something.

Although I guess that got kicked out with Infinite Crisis too.

I'm starting to really hate Infinite Crisis. As an event it was ok, but it just keeps popping up more and more with these little things.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't think you can pin that on Infinite Crisis. Nobody's ever kept J'onn's weakness to fire consistent.

If I had to set a definitive rule on it, I'd make it so that fires set with the intention to harm (arson, flame-throwers, Heatwave's gun, etc.) hurt him, but other kinds don't. Basically making it so that it's not really the fire that's hurting him, it's the negative psychic energy behind the fire, weakening him enough to be susceptible to it. That way villains can still hurt him, but he could still put out forest fires and save puppies from burning houses.

Munch on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I don't think you can pin that on Infinite Crisis. Nobody's ever kept J'onn's weakness to fire consistent.

If I had to set a definitive rule on it, I'd make it so that fires set with the intention to harm (arson, flame-throwers, Heatwave's gun, etc.) hurt him, but other kinds don't. Basically making it so that it's not really the fire that's hurting him, it's the negative psychic energy behind the fire, weakening him enough to be susceptible to it. That way villains can still hurt him, but he could still put out forest fires and save puppies from burning houses.

I always wondered why he wouldn't just change his sensory organs so he can't perceive the fire, and then change his skin (if he really needs to) to not be harmed by it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rans wrote: »
    Magog had an ongoing that was just cancelled and it looks like the JSA books are about to get a creative shake up. They could easily throw in a Brightest Day death for Magog to clear the way for new JSA ideas.

Didn't Magog already get kicked out of the JSA? I don't read either JSA books but that was what I'd heard.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »

I always wondered why he wouldn't just change his sensory organs so he can't perceive the fire, and then change his skin (if he really needs to) to not be harmed by it.

Is he able to actually change his elemental composition? He's not Metamorpho.

I always assumed that no matter what shape-shifting form he took on, it was still carbon based.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Doug Mahnke interview about GL

Kyle was the GL he started with/learned about the GLC from only because of his JLA work.

And he was invited to be on the commentary of Under the Red Hood DVD but declined because it would have put him behind schedule on GL. That's professionalism, suck on it Van Sciver.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Doug Mahnke interview about GL

Kyle was the GL he started with/learned about the GLC from only because of his JLA work.

And he was invited to be on the commentary of Under the Red Hood DVD but declined because it would have put him behind schedule on GL. That's professionalism, suck on it Van Sciver.

Man, that's really cool of him, but it also kind of sucks. Dude deserves to be on that commentary, and also would've made it more interesting to me as a fan.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Doug Mahnke is my favorite artist in comics, followed closely by Pat Gleason.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They are both pretty great artists, and they each really fit the GL Mythos really well.

I miss Gleason; I kind of wish he was still on GLC with Bedard, but I'm excited to see him do Batman with Tomasi.

I love Tomasi on Bat family stuff; he's a strong character writer wherever he goes, but I think his strongest plotting shows in his Batman stuff.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Geoff Johns interview

Apparently big things for Captain Marvel in terms of DC Entertainment, he'd be perfect for a cartoon.

And Andy Kubert is halfway through issue #1 of Flashpoint! Maybe it will only be delayed by 6 months.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I guess at the GL panel, Bedard said the Weaponer is the guy who created Sinestro's ring, and that the Weaponer's arc will explain a lot of that stuff.

I don't know if any of you remember, but a couple GL threads ago I asked a series of big, psuedo-sciency fanboy plothole questions about Qward, Sinestro's Ring, the Weaponers, and the Sinestro Corps. No one could answer, because no writer had dealt with it before.

I can't even remember what the questions were, but...

It seems like he will answer them. I just had a geekgasm.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Going by that GL Panel:
    The character Dex-Starr wants to kill is not a character we've seen before, Johns said. "It's the guy that broke in and murdered his owner, he's pretty upset about that."

Looks like he didn't kill him yet.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    maybe the valentine's special will be Dex-Starr finding the killer and Krypto comes in to stop him from getting his revenge

Rans on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Krypto would team up and use his heat vision.

I'm remembering a Superman animal abuse issue where he stops punk ass kids from throwing cats off an overpass into traffic. Those kids deserved to die and go to hell.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    also thought the GL panel was a pretty big let down. nothing new talked about except for confirmation of Sinestro Secret Origin.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    also thought the GL panel was a pretty big let down. nothing new talked about except for confirmation of Sinestro Secret Origin.

To be fair, on the publishing side of things, neither side really announced anything huge at any of their panels.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Read BD6 earlier, and I am actually starting to like where the stories are going.

Except for Martian Manhunter, whose story I had been enjoying, but was pretty shitty this issue. The super-supervillain arch-rival they're building for him just seems lame. I don't like that monster or its gimmicks.

Also, from what others have concluded, Tomasi is writing the Martian Manhunter parts. So, shame on him?

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying the Aquaman thing and even Firestorm wasn't absolutely terrible in this issue.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

To be fair, on the publishing side of things, neither side really announced anything huge at any of their panels.

Well, Batman INC. and Speed Force are pretty big, no?

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tairu wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Well, Batman INC. and Speed Force are pretty big, no?

Yeah, I guess Batman INC. is a pretty big deal, and the Spider-Man plans were similar for Marvel.

Speed Force seemed like it just sort of accidentally slipped out; in the liveblogs I read, Johns was asked about Wally at every single panel he was on, and he eventually just asked Didio if he could tell everyone. He didn't give any details on anything.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?gid=2257

Here's a boatload of Brightest Day-related previews from tomorrow's comics. Hate to say it but I might even pick up Green Arrow tomorrow (don't look at me that way).

Also weird that Mahnke seems to be cutting Hal's uniform off at the waste. Maybe it's the colorist.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's three colorists so there's a good chance they might have messed up (with 4 inkers too).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    glew_pg1_prev-copy.jpg

Clicky for preview!

Awwww yeah!

Rans on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The best part:

glew_4pg_prev-4-copy.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait, so they can say "asshole" in Final Crisis, but not "ass" in Emerald Warriors?

Munch on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    could also be Tomasi thinks censorship is funny and wrote it to be that way

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, that's going to be the best Green Lantern book.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    could also be Tomasi thinks censorship is funny and wrote it to be that way

If he does think that, I agree.

For some reason, censorship is funnier on characters like Guy.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guy looks ugly as hell on that cover.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure what was different but I actually really enjoyed Johns' take on Hal in this week's GL #56. Maybe it's because Hal almost becomes giddy around Larfleeze, but the writing in this issue was a big change for the positive in my opinion.

Rans on
  • Options
    MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure what was different but I actually really enjoyed Johns' take on Hal in this week's GL #56. Maybe it's because Hal almost becomes giddy around Larfleeze, but the writing in this issue was a big change for the positive in my opinion.

I notice that too. I've interpreted it as Hal being secretly this close to laughing at Larfleeze's idiocy every single minute he has to deal with him, but he keeps under control because Larfleeze is dangerous as all hell if he wants to be.

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have to say, after reading issues 5 and 6, I am really pumped for the rest of JL:GL.

Plus, I read a lot of my backlog today which also included Booster and PG, and those books are great as well. They both tie-in, but also stand on their own legs.

I am actually really happy with that corner of the DCU right now. Can't wait for issue 7.

Meanwhile Brightest Day still just feels like disposable action comic fun.

HadjiQuest on