As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Green Lantern: New Guardians #0 had great art! I hope Aaron Kuder sticks around forever! Seriously, the art was so good and the story was pretty decent too. GLNG has been really consistent lately and now it has great art to go with it. Kirkham was okay, but I hated his faces. He was inoffensively generic comic book art. Kuder has more style and grace!

And there's no rape in the book! There never has been!

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Yeah, as I said in the DC thread, Kuder is inbetween Cameron Stewart and Frank Quitely for me.

That's a great place to be.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Imma call this now:

I dunno by what means or what details, but Abin Sur is the First Lantern.

I know it doesn't make sense but

Geoff Johns you guys.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the First Lantern is a time-traveling Kyle Rayner post-learning how to harness and use the entire emotional spectrum. That would be pretty loopy, right. There's got to be a reason we've only seen the First Lantern in silhouette. The last time Johns pulled this trick was with Krona during Brightest Day.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Maybe he's bringing back Sodam Yat...

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    When did the Guardians get all mystical, investing so much energy and resources in prophecies and ancient arcane powers? Didn't they create the Starheart in an attempt to lock up all the magic in the universe because they didn't trust all that mystical mumbo jumbo?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Simon's dead brother-in-law whose death he was inadvertently responsible for. Somehow.
    When did the Guardians get all mystical, investing so much energy and resources in prophecies and ancient arcane powers? Didn't they create the Starheart in an attempt to lock up all the magic in the universe because they didn't trust all that mystical mumbo jumbo?

They started freaking about prophecies back in Sinestro Corps, but they've only recently started following them and digging up this ancient stuff.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    and Kyle has been around for two years. i feel like this is acceptable. if he had only been around for a year it would have been a lot harder to make sense.

so Hal = 5 years ago
    Guy = 4.5 - 4 years ago
    John = still a ? but let's say around 3.5 - 3 years ago
    then Emerald Twilight in some form or another 2 years ago and Kyle shows up
    and maybe Rebirth in some form or another 1.5 - 1 year ago?

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    My guess is that Kyle's been largely a space cop since he became a GL and has little time on earth compared to his old series which likely has been mostly washed away.

Kinda ironic since use to be the absolute worse at the whole secret identity thing.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Well looks like Kyle's Earth time is still mostly in tact :/
    prv13916_pg3.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Why

Keep

The

Fridge

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I love that, if you don't know anything about Kyle's origin, that image is just nonsensical.

Compare it to the original page:

ZQ3fU.jpg

The cold, monochrome blue background gives things a somber, dreamlike quality, as Kyle wanders through his apartment, dazed. When he gets to the fridge, it's apparent that Alex's body is twisted up, crushed into a space too small for it. When the realization of what he's seeing finally hits him, a splash of red appears to actually crack the background behind Kyle, accentuating the horror.

The retelling feels positively sterile, and clinical. It's like Alex just crawled inside the fridge and died, like a toddler left unattended.

Also, if you were starting your universe over, why not maybe ditch something that became a meme for, "Holy shit, you guys treat fictional women terribly."

Munch on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    That is the one part of Kyle's origin they should have retconned, would have been better for them.

On the bright side he still has some milk.

• Options
    I'm glad they left it intact because my continuity isn't messed up. I ain't give no shits. I'm also glad that Kyle's original uniform is still in continuity.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    If you change Kyle's origin, that just means that people start complaining that DC's writing out a female character, and/or that they're trying to whitewash their past misdeeds. Seriously, I've seen both of those complaints during "what will Kyle's new origin be?" discussions online. From women, I should add.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Major Force shouldn't even exist in the DCnU.

• Options
    Notice they have gingerly sidestepped identifying who actually killed Alex. It doesn't really matter and I hope it is never addressed.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I was pretty sure we'd already had a flashback to that moment, so I went back and checked. Yup, Blue Beetle #9:

BlueBeetle9f.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I haven't kept up with GL stuff since shortly before Blackest Night, but I was going to jump back in with the New 52 stuff. It sounds like GL and Corps are something not unlike what they were before, but New Guardians is something entirely different? It also seems like Red Lanterns is pretty much skippable.

Side question, is it worth burning through Blackest Night/Brightest Day/Whatever went on pre-reboot or should I just skim a synopsis and move on?

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    95% of the Geoff Johns era of Green Lantern still counts, so if you're interested in Blackest Night and Brightest Day (both good GL stories) then, yes go for it. Much of Johns' New 52 Green Lantern builds on plot threads from those two stories. Skip the Brightest Day series itself, however, and stick to the Green Lantern Brightest Day arc.

New Guardians will feel less "different" if you read the Brightest Day arc in GL, in that it expands on themes developed originally in those pages.

Red Lanterns is interesting if you like the multi-color corps concept and want to find out how another besides GL works. The series hasn't had much impact on the main three GL books, however, so I think it is safely skippable so far.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I haven't kept up with GL stuff since shortly before Blackest Night, but I was going to jump back in with the New 52 stuff. It sounds like GL and Corps are something not unlike what they were before, but New Guardians is something entirely different? It also seems like Red Lanterns is pretty much skippable.

Side question, is it worth burning through Blackest Night/Brightest Day/Whatever went on pre-reboot or should I just skim a synopsis and move on?

Green Lantern was the Sinestro/Hal buddy cop book that did most of the world-building for the GL franchise. It will still be that, but with new GL Simon Baz taking up some of the book.

Green Lantern: New Guardians is Kyle and the rest of the Color Corps. Mostly about Kyle being able to control the other colors. Fun stuff.

Green Lantern Corps is Guy Gardner being Guy Gardner and John Stewart being sad about killing people.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    If you change Kyle's origin, that just means that people start complaining that DC's writing out a female character, and/or that they're trying to whitewash their past misdeeds. Seriously, I've seen both of those complaints during "what will Kyle's new origin be?" discussions online. From women, I should add.

Here's a woman who's glad they kept the fridge, for example.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Major Force shouldn't even exist in the DCnU.

This.

Guy looks like he's wearing spandex waders.

• Options
    for those keeping track at home, Red Lanterns #13 added to the Rise of the Third Army story as Atrocitus figured out a way to kill the Third Army beings.
    apparently the eyes are the weak point, suggested to be the only remnants of individuality or something

• Options
    That's a really dumb weakness, further cementing the Guardians' complete incompetence.

• Options
    i still fail to see how the Third Army are such a unique threat, as Johns and co have been billing them. They basically have the same M.O. as the Black Lanterns. They kill and assimilate.

• Options
    TragTrag boston, maRegistered User regular
    Johns has been struggling to push out fresh material, however I think that this is really just an elaborate introduction to our new Green Lantern. Not a terrible story but a predictably fun ride. I wish that GL was bi-weekly though, the stories are always my quickest read each week.

• Options
    GL #14 was mega-boring, in my opinion. The GL who has had his ring for all of twenty minutes easily outsmarts the Justice League! Isn't he great!

• Options
    Rans wrote: »
    GL #14 was mega-boring, in my opinion. The GL who has had his ring for all of twenty minutes easily outsmarts the Justice League! Isn't he great!

I really liked it :(, and really enjoyed the use of the ring there. I really enjoy what Johns is doing with Baz so far, and everything but the Third Army itself seems pretty interesting.
    (and technically the league has only had to deal with Hal "Boxing Glove" Jordan in the new52 I guess?

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    The way Baz escaped was pretty dumb. Aquaman, Batman, Cyborg, and Wonder Woman didn't even do anything to stop him from escaping.

And the Third Army is basically like the Borg but it's not as scary or intimidating since it doesn't seem to grow smarter or stronger as it assimilates more people into the hive mind.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't know why I haven't been enjoying it. I don't dislike Baz, I just think that the Johns non-sensical plotting effect is in full force with him. Like, so the feds, the president, and the Justice League all know his name is Simon Baz. Baz knows that the feds know who he is. This is all established, but then he sees a security camera and decides to wear a mask to protect his identity.

Um, dude. They already know who you are. There is nothing left to protect.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't know why I haven't been enjoying it. I don't dislike Baz, I just think that the Johns non-sensical plotting effect is in full force with him. Like, so the feds, the president, and the Justice League all know his name is Simon Baz. Baz knows that the feds know who he is. This is all established, but then he sees a security camera and decides to wear a mask to protect his identity.

Except the public doesn't know that he is Simon Baz public terrorist, so to them he's just another green lantern hero.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think #14 will be my last GL issue. Even though I don't care for the Third Army, I thought some of the outside factors would keep me interested in the book. Faraday, Mahnke drawing Superman again (!), these are the little things I thought would hold my interest but I really don't have it in me to keep up with the book. The book needs to get back to Sinestro centric ASAP.

• Options
    I think GL is enjoyable as fluffy fun. It's got a lot of problems if you really try to analyze things and nit pick but it's an entertaining adventure in the same vein as The Fifth Element, though it may be lacking the tongue in cheek elements. Plus it is pretty amusing to point out some of the dumb stuff.

However, if they want to make it more serious or add in more sci-fi elements, they really need to drop the "earth is the center of the universe" trope and really ramp up the scale. You've got 7,200 Green Lantern protecting the entire universe, so each Lantern would be in charge of at least millions of galaxies and countless trillions of sentient beings. They need way more powerful than what's been shown to really handle that kind of responsibility.

• Options

Except the public doesn't know that he is Simon Baz public terrorist, so to them he's just another green lantern hero.

Yeah I don't disagree with that, it's just that in the story the public hasn't mattered in a very long time. Johns' Green Lantern basically exists in a world without a public that does anything other than serve as cannon fodder. There's no dramatic tension with if the public knows the new GL is Simon Baz or not.

• Options
    Preview of GL New Guardians #14 here: http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/content/green-lantern-new-guardians-14-preview-dc-comics

Once again, Kyle is the only one that has a clear picture of what is going on, who the bad guys are, and an idea of how to go about accomplishing what he needs to accomplish. It's actually refreshing. If only he would clue Guy and John in on the shit that is going down.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    You know, I've never read a Green Lantern book, but New Guardians keeps looking interesting enough to pick up.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SmartAleckComedySmartAleckComedy PortlandiaRegistered User regular
    As much as I want to catch up on the new 52 versions of the corps...I'm more excited for more episodes of the Green Lantern animated series.

Also, anybody know the status of Batman punching Guy in the face in regards to the new 52? Has that been ret-conned or not?

Smart Aleck Comedy
    Find your laughs here. We stole them, sorry 'bout that.
    Blog - http://www.smartaleckcomedy.blogspot.com
    Twitter - https://twitter.com/funnysmartaleck
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well, the old Justice League International never existed, so it probably never happened.

I mean, I'm sure Batman's punched Guy at some point, because I feel like that's just a thing that happens, if you know Guy for more than five minutes.

Munch on