As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No it doesn't.

But knowing that would require you to actually read the books instead of listening to people online.

Furu on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just feel that superheroes should avoid making truces with space-Hitlers. I don't think that's an opinion that requires I read Geoff Johns' terrible comics to form.

Munch on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

But knowing that would require you to actually read the books instead of listening to people online.

yes but I already said eff that noise

I wanna generalize

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

yes but I already said eff that noise

I wanna generalize

Brightest Day #0 consists entirely of Hal Jordan giving a history lesson where he lays out why Hitler wasn't so bad.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seems kind of like after World War II, where everyone knew Stalin was a piece of shit but they were too tired to fight another war.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So THATS how they are going to make Aquaman cool.

He not only has fish telepathy... but ZOMBIE FISH TELEPATHY!

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    chrish4161chrish4161 Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    Rans wrote: »
    14477_400x600.jpg

Brightest Day is a 26-issue year-long twice-a-month series chronicling.... whatever happened at the end of Blackest Night! This story is going to crossover into a bunch of ongoing titles and now it looks like we're going to have one shots also!

This series will alternate weeks with the other twice-a-month series Justice League: Generation Lost. JL:GL will also carry the Brightest Day banner and is a part of the overall Brightest Day storyline.

Blackest Night thread is almost to 100 and Brightest Day #0 comes out tomorrow so I figured it is time to move on.

Brightest Day titles

Brightest Day
    Justice League: Generation Lost
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Arrow
    The Flash
    Birds of Prey
    Titans
    Justice League of America

Brightest Day Checklist Part 1
    APRIL
    Brightest Day #0
    Green Lantern #53
    Green Lantern Corps #47
    The Flash #1
    Justice League of America #44

MAY
    Brightest Day #1-#2
    Justice League: Generation Lost #1-#2
    Green Lantern #54
    Green Lantern Corps #48
    The Flash #2
    Justice League of America #45
    Titans: Villains for Hire Special #1
    Birds of Prey #1

JUNE
    Brightest Day #3-#4
    Justice League: Generation Lost #3-#4
    Green Lantern #55
    Green Lantern Corps #49
    The Flash #3
    Justice League of America #46
    Titans #24
    Birds of Prey #2
    Green Arrow #1

Well if this is really a true story then I am totally surprised to see the villein and the hero to gather for one mission. How they are working and the merging of the power looks great. Actually this concept reminds me the IPL series which is played among all the cricketers.

chrish4161 on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yes, thank you for this post

Rans on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So looks like GLC #48 is going to be more set up for Emerald Warriors.
    greenlanterncorps4801.jpg

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just read Brightest Day #1 and I find it hard to care about most of it.

But then again, I find it hard to care about most DC. Besides Green Lantern and Batman, I just have no interest.

This is one of the reasons I didn't really care enjoy Blackest Night once it became not just Lanterns...

But I'll probably keep buying it!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    pretty much the same here, sharp

i only like green lantern stuff and i'm buying it because it is a part of that overall story. i'm just not interested in most of the other stories that will happen during it, unfortunately...

aquaman is lame, ronnie firestorm is lame, hawk & dove are lame, hawkman & hawkgirl are lame, etc

Rans on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm remaining casually optimistic that with the return of Aquaman, they'll find a way to make him not-lame.

Given that he's an Atlantean, which is part of Greek Mythology, some clever writer should find a way to reconcile the Aquaman mythos with Wonder Woman. It would be a fix for both characters in one swoop. I vote for Grant Morrison to handle this job. But it he doesn't want it, I would gladly do it myself.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How would that fix both characters?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think it would strengthen both because both suffer from a lot of the same problems. Both have power-sets all over the map that are largely based on the whims of the current writer. A bit of consolidation and consistency would go a long way to improving the overall popularity of both characters.

Also, Aquaman needs all the help he can get to overcome the stigma that he's a worthless character who talks to fish.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just replace current Aquaman with Batman the Brave and the Bold Aquaman

Character fixed

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Make Aquaman an undersea Conan

all wrestling sharks

beatin' up giant squids

engaging in knife fights with the kraken

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    didn't they try that after infinite crisis?

Rans on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    should have kept it that way

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I wanna see him get into a swordfight with a narwhal

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rans wrote: »
    didn't they try that after infinite crisis?

No, they made him a squid man and had a brand new mysterious underwater Blond teenager named Arthur Currey be the new Aquaman.

They replaced him with someone else that looks exactly like him and has the SAME NAME

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ok so I just finished reading Brightest Day #1. I've got a few thoughts on the issue. Non-spoilers first, followed by some spoiler ones.

-- You know how in 52 it was a story with a whole lot of plot threads, and each issue typically only covered a couple of those threads? They need to do that with Brightest Day. Cramming 6 different stories into 1 issue is way too much. I realize this was the first issue and they had to set all the plot threads in place, but I really hope that going forward, each issue is much more focused and only covers a couple threads per issue.

-- In the same vein as the above concern, I really hope they drop down to only 1 or 2 artists per issue. Having 6 artists on one issue is incredibly jarring. There's no consistency at all. If they are gonna use that many artists, they at least need to get only 1 inker per issue. Some pages are incredibly densely inked and other pages not so much.

-- I find myself not enjoying the Firestorm sections at all.
    -- The child rape scene on the boat was rather disturbing. Not much really gets to me, but that part really bugged me.

-- Not sure how I feel about the whole "powers malfunctioning" thing that's apparently going on with a number of the resurrected. Specifically in this issue with Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the best aquaman was the one in morrison's jla

Rans on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I hated hook-hand Aquaman.

Will Pfeiffer's Aquaman 4ever. He was basically the Superman of the ocean. And he wasn't a total fuckface like every other Aquaman ever.

Munch on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm less interested in everyone's individual stories and more interested in how they're all going to come together into the overall Brightest Day plot.
    Now in addition to Jade's arm sprouting black tendrils in BD#0, we have Aquaman controlling dead sea life, and something's wrong with both J'onn and Firestorm involving their Black Lantern counterparts.

It seems like some of Nekron's influence remains in the resurrected heroes, maybe because they were revived using their dark matter filled Black Lantern bodies.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So Johns is really ramping up the Space Nazi thing with Sinestro, he even wears a Sinestro Corps armband now. Subtlety, Johns, subtlety

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    So Johns is really ramping up the Space Nazi thing with Sinestro, he even wears a Sinestro Corps armband now. Subtlety, Johns, subtlety

That's been there ever since they first showed us their uniforms in the Sinestro Corps War.

And really, you're asking for subtlety from the guy who made Sinestro twirl his Snidely Whiplash mustache in Booster Gold?

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2010
    Darklyre wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

That's been there ever since they first showed us their uniforms in the Sinestro Corps War.

And really, you're asking for subtlety from the guy who made Sinestro twirl his Snidely Whiplash mustache in Booster Gold?

hahahaha that was hilarious

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The sinestro armband has always been there? My bad then. It was much more of a point in the first pages in BD#1, as if to say "hey look the cops (good guys) are going to shoot the space nazi (the red bad guy with the armband)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I actually liked the three panel exchange where Sinestro threatens to smash a cop with a car construct and then Hal smashes the car with a car crusher.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait Wait Wait,
    Martian Manhunter's powers are malfunctioning? I didn't even think he had powers, I thought that was just....him.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, Firestorm is a dick.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Seriously, I thought it might have been a one-off in #0, but he's not cool anymore. Not cool, brah, lates.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I paged through Brightest Day and wow, Ronnie's being written as a total douche.

Munch on
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Didn't he get stabbed by a friend in Identity Crisis?

Maximus on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No?

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    2010-05-04.jpg

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Maximus wrote: »
    Didn't he get stabbed by a friend in Identity Crisis?
    Shadow Thief used Shining Knight's sword to stab him.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't get the joke in that letsbefriendsagain strip at all.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't get the joke in that letsbefriendsagain strip at all.

when you're in high school and you get a boner and you have to hide it with your notebook

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ok I read Brightest Day 1 and thouht it was pretty lame but one scene in particular really irked me.
    Black Manta finds out Aquaman is alive and...then kills a bunch of people, burns his house down and then puts his costume on. Is this how Black Manta has always been or is it another case of Johns making a villain totally hardcore and extreme?

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind