As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't get the joke in that letsbefriendsagain strip at all.

when you're in high school and you get a boner and you have to hide it with your notebook

I think Larfleeze just wanted a notebook because everyone else had one.

Tairu on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2010
    He's always been like that, at least from the stories I've read

They really need to downsize Black Manta's mask. Whoever drew that page at least made the neck realistic, but the helmet is just so huge it seems counterintuitive to, well, everything

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Its the Dark Helmet helmet!

darkhelmet.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Black Manta did kill Aquaman's son. So he's always been kind of a dick.

Munch on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    pfft his son had it coming

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is Black Manta actually black though? Or was that a hologram?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Holograms don't drink beer in bars and murder the bartender because they get mad that their rival isn't dead anymore.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I mean like a image inducer like Nightcrawler used to have.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Is Black Manta actually black though? Or was that a hologram?

Blackmantaunmasked.PNG

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hahaha "Oh jeez I thought it was just the suit color but I guess going by our weirdly racist naming conventions..."

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tairu wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't get the joke in that letsbefriendsagain strip at all.

when you're in high school and you get a boner and you have to hide it with your notebook

I think Larfleeze just wanted a boner because everyone else had one.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So does this mean Green Arrow is actually.....green?

So that's Black Manta, Moses Magnum, and I guess Bishop as the only black villains I can think of in the big two universes.

edit: oh that's nice, reading his wiki page he was molested as a kid, what the fuck DC is this on the screensaver for every computer at the office?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't forget Hypno Hustler!

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Black Manta makes no sense to me. Why would you want to rule over a land with no oxygen?

CyberJackal: Last I checked, it wasn't a crime to be funky.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Black Manta makes no sense to me. Why would you want to rule over a land with no oxygen?

He's wants it mainly to take it away from Aquaman, who didn't rescue him from his life as a pirate slave when he was a child. His only motivation is hurt Aquaman.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait Wait Wait,
    Martian Manhunter's powers are malfunctioning? I didn't even think he had powers, I thought that was just....him.

Once you go Black you never go back.

Alternatively:
    Secondary Mutations for Everyone

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Brightest Day solicitations for August:
    http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/05/14/brightest-day-solicits-for-august/#more-9100

the GL stuff all looks good to me. i'm interested to see what geoff does with the predator.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    For being the Brightest Day about half those previews are real Debbie Downers.

Hannu getting some screentime is good, but because of what happened with the Titans special this week, I'm retaliating by dropping GL and GLC. I will make DC's other books crumble since no one buys Titans anyway.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    titans is certainly stupid but i'm not going to let it dampen my enjoyment of other books... unless they go stupid too.

but, for me, GL comics are the only monthlies i buy and i will probably buy them forever no matter how bad or good they are. i'm that guy for these books.

Rans on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't normally look at solicits, but I have no intention of reading any of these books but this caught my attention:
    Witness the power of the BRIGHTEST DAY as death comes to Green Arrow’s forest. Is the Emerald Archer worthy of living in the sacred grove?

Green Arrow has a forest now? That is fantastic. Double points if it's related to Sherwood forest.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    and tex... to retaliate properly shouldn't you only buy the DC books that are doing things you approve of? if everyone did that dc might eventually get the message of what their audience actually enjoys.

(this assumes you approve of GLC which maybe you don't, i dunno)

Rans on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It'll sting not buying a Mahnke book, but it's for the greater good.

Maybe Keith Giffen can yell at everyone at DC for what they're doing, I always hold out hope to read the article.

Rans wrote: »
    and tex... to retaliate properly shouldn't you only buy the DC books that are doing things you approve of? if everyone did that dc might eventually get the message of what their audience actually enjoys.

(this assumes you approve of GLC which maybe you don't, i dunno)

I am doing that, like Booster Gold and Secret Six and presumably GL Emerald Warriors, but for those books I'm buying because of an artist or writer only, like GL, I'm going to just drop them.

Like the upcoming Detective Comics story with Scott McDaniel as artist, I'll have to let that go because I was only getting it for his art.

I may just go for a nuclear option too for a bit, maybe just buy Secret Six and Emerald Warriors and that's it. It's frustrating when shit books kill good characters and you can't punish them even more. It's the comics equivalent of sanctions, and sometimes it's best just to blow everything up and let Black Racer sort them out.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    titans is certainly stupid but i'm not going to let it dampen my enjoyment of other books... unless they go stupid too.

but, for me, GL comics are the only monthlies i buy and i will probably buy them forever no matter how bad or good they are. i'm that guy for these books.
    By the by Rans, how'd you enjoy this week's REBELS?
    Hensler wrote:
    Green Arrow has a forest now? That is fantastic. Double points if it's related to Sherwood forest.
    Yeah, when Prometheus blew up Star City, it created a star-shaped forest in the middle of the town. I forget how.

I like it, and hope it'll give rise to a lot of neat, woodsy villains, and open up a lot of possible storylines. Part of what bugs me about Green Arrow is that he has very few good rogues, especially after Brick was recently killed off.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Munch wrote: »

Nobody asked me how I enjoyed REBELS this week :(.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well Rans doesn't normally buy REBELS, but was gonna for the GL tie-in.

Hensler, how did you like REBELS?

Personally, I thoguht the art looked sort of weird. Almost like it was re-sized poorly, and made the linework look all funky. And the coloring wasn't too hot either.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

i liked it. i hope bedard brings what he's doing with REBELS to GLC. also seems like he is setting the stage for a REBELS / GLC crossover which i think would be a lot of fun. i'm going to pick up the next issue.

Rans on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote:
    Yeah, when Prometheus blew up Star City, it created a star-shaped forest in the middle of the town. I forget how.

The explosion didn't do it, the White Entity did.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It was Deadman's white ring that did it, he got teleported there and he called upon the power of Earth.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You sure it wasn't Kwame calling upon the power of the Earth?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    He was busy killing people in a fish shop ba-dum-tish

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Personally, I thoguht the art looked sort of weird. Almost like it was re-sized poorly, and made the linework look all funky. And the coloring wasn't too hot either.

There was a... graininess to the art, but I figured that was just the style that St. Aubin was going for - I've noticed that on some of his other REBELS issues, as well. This has really been my least favorite arc of REBELS - I've never liked Starfire. But seeing someone to tell the Green Lantern Corps to stick it is always good - stupid space fuzz.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

There was a... graininess to the art, but I figured that was just the style that St. Aubin was going for - I've noticed that on some of his other REBELS issues, as well. This has really been my least favorite arc of REBELS - I've never liked Starfire. But seeing someone to tell the Green Lantern Corps to stick it is always good - stupid space fuzz.

yeah that is something i notice in non-GL book stories where the Corps appear. they are always treated like a joke. i know it would be natural for someone like Dox to sneer at their "authority" but you would think the Corps' history of saving the universe over and over again would earn them some points.

Rans on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

yeah that is something i notice in non-GL book stories where the Corps appear. they are always treated like a joke. i know it would be natural for someone like Dox to sneer at their "authority" but you would think the Corps' history of saving the universe over and over again would earn them some points.

Being associated with the Guardians probably erodes those points rather quickly.

I mean, it isn't particularly hard to blame the last 3 large scale Lantern Wars on collusion by the Lanterns/Guardians.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Being associated with the Guardians probably erodes those points rather quickly.

I mean, it isn't particularly hard to blame the last 3 large scale Lantern Wars on collusion by the Lanterns/Guardians.

that general public distrust would be a great premise for a REBELS/GLC crossover. a planet refuses GLC aid and LEGION steps in to protect it. maybe that is where Bedard is headed with the LEGION in the Vega system.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rans on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm hoping for old Firestorm to get kicked the hell out. Even though it will likely be the other way around.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Brightest Day #2! was.... kind of incoherent!

there was
    another grand Johnsian moment where a mom who is secretly a zombie tears her skin off and murders her family with a kitchen knife!

and
    J'onn being really creepy and impersonating the guy who brought him to earth (who is dead) and fooling said guy's alzheimer-ridden old daughter into thinking he was her dad just so he could probe her mind? i don't know!

and then the end was also quite a leap of "hurry let's go over here!" but at least it had a cool ending of
    dead(alive)man vs the anti-monitor??? next issue!

my review mostly consists of "man, what"

Rans on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, not just a kitchen knife.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So this basically looks like the worst comic book since Identity Crisis

confirm/deny?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    no

it's not that bad

Cry for Justice takes that honor

Garlic Bread on