As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mostly it annoys me because well, it features characters who I didn't care about (because they were mostly dead) when I came into the DCU with GL: Rebirth. Annnnd it is not really selling me on them.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's the worst thing since the last terrible thing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    no

it's not that bad

Cry for Justice takes that honor

it looks like every issue so far has had some sort of pointless gruesome murder

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The worst thing in #0 was the baby bird dying but it came back to life.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mostly it annoys me because well, it features characters who I didn't care about (because they were mostly dead) when I came into the DCU with GL: Rebirth. Annnnd it is not really selling me on them.
    Seeing, I'm annoyed because I quite like Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Firestorm II, and Deadman, and the only place they're currently appearing is a terrible comic I don't want to read. For me, that makes it worse than Cry for Justice, because that series at least had the decency to star characters I was mostly ambivalent towards.

Though I'd say the level of writing (mostly dialogue-wise) in Cry for Justice was worse.

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2010
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    no

it's not that bad

yeah but it's random civilians, not loved comic characters

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Killing random and minor characters and/or civilians hardly ever works. With minor characters most people don't care about them so don't care if they die, apart from the few people who do care about them and love them loads and so just get angry about. With civilians it's just nobody cares.

I mean, why did she kill that family? Because she was angry? Right, she was angry so she just murdered some people to vent, and in doing so completely blew her cover, so it's stupid from an in-world view, and from our perspective it's a waste of pages because nothing happens apart from shit that nobody really wants to see. Why not just have her see the TV and then her eyes glow red and she whispers "Jonzzzz..." it has exactly the same effect, takes less time and doesn't result in the fans going "What. The Fuck." when they read it.

/rant

Solar on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Or have her completely trash somewhere like a supermarket car park where she can show the strength of her rage without having to brutally murder people.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    can anyone give me a rundown of how the Green Lantern stuff appeared in the new Legion book?

Rans on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    no

it's not that bad

yeah but it's random civilians, not loved comic characters

I'm sure they'll get to that eventually.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ok so the details of the White Martians are a bit fuzzy to me. I know that some of them are living among the humans, but do they remember that they are martians? I thought they all got memory wiped?

The thing that was more shocking to me about the White Martian beat-down scene was the fact that she chose that moment to flip out, rather than any other point in time pre-Final Crisis. The brutal murder was jarring, sure, but it was more jarring because the situation didn't seem to fit with what I remember from the end of the White Martian story arc.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    a theory i'm seeing thrown around is that it's not White Martians, but instead the thing that Dr. Erdel brought to Earth before he brought J'onn. he says something about bringing J'onn was his way of fixing a mistake or something.

it appears that whatever this thing is is wearing the mother's skin. White Martians just shapeshift and don't need to wear skin? Plus, White Martians were mindwiped and planted in lives as humans, but not as replacing real humans with real lives. The mom (were she a White Martian) wouldn't have had kids or they would be part White Martian? Additionally, I think all the White Martians were supposed to have been killed. In Waid's JLA run they lost their mindwipe and attacked and were put in the phantom zone. Later, during Kelly's run J'onn / Not-J'onn killed all of the White Martians in the phantom zone.

My guess is the mom is actually the monster brought to earth before J'onn. Maybe it doesn't have the same shapechanging powers? It's suggested there is a string of murders, so it could murder something and take its skin to hide in for awhile before murdering something else and moving on. Seeing J'onn on TV could have triggered it to move on this time.

Rans on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rans wrote: »
    can anyone give me a rundown of how the Green Lantern stuff appeared in the new Legion book?

Sodam Yat makes an appearance.
    He's crying on Oa when his ring informs him of residual commands of the guardians remain in Oa, awaiting activation. Then there's a big green explosion and a blue creature calling itself Dyogene emerges from the ground. Sodam's ring informs him that its appearance is caused by the violation of the ban against viewing the creation of the universe. (A Central Time Viewing station on Titan displays it and causes the destruction of Titan). Dyogene appears to Earth Man (the leader of the future JLA in Johns's Superman and the LoSH) as he is being inducted into the Legion and gives him a ring, proclaiming him to be the new Green Lantern of Sector 2814.

The whole issue was actually really good. The dialogue was kinda exposition-y, but it was packed with story and much better than I expected from Levitz. It picks up right after Legion of 3 Worlds and also references Flashpoint which is going to be the big event next summer I guess.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok so the details of the White Martians are a bit fuzzy to me. I know that some of them are living among the humans, but do they remember that they are martians? I thought they all got memory wiped?

The thing that was more shocking to me about the White Martian beat-down scene was the fact that she chose that moment to flip out, rather than any other point in time pre-Final Crisis. The brutal murder was jarring, sure, but it was more jarring because the situation didn't seem to fit with what I remember from the end of the White Martian story arc.

I'm getting the impression that the resurrected heroes are triggering something in the brains of their arch nemesis. As in, there is a larger force at work manipulating these villains, too. Mind control, latent subconscious switches or something, I don't know. It was a little too similar to what happened to Black Manta. "Oh I'm just moving on with my life, what's on TV (CLICK) MURDER MURDER MURDER"

Lux on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ok so I was playing with one of those promotional lantern rings I got from Blackest Night, and a question occurred to me:

What is the "proper" way to wear one of these rings? Does the emblem face inwards towards the wearer, or outwards? This question would apply to the non-symmetrical rings such as the Yellow, White, Orange, Red, or Black rings.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok so I was playing with one of those promotional lantern rings I got from Blackest Night, and a question occurred to me:

What is the "proper" way to wear one of these rings? Does the emblem face inwards towards the wearer, or outwards? This question would apply to the non-symmetrical rings such as the Yellow, White, Orange, Red, or Black rings.

If you can put any stock in this image, the "top" of the symbol should be closest to the knuckle.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ahh yeah that's a good image. On that one he's wearing it inwardly. So that if the wearer looks at it, he sees the image right-side-up. The other way the image on the ring is upside down to the wearer.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    no

it's not that bad

So far I'd probably compare it to Countdown. A middling uninteresting plot, events seemingly happening at random, shitty death scenes and tons of tie-ins.

If this were just a Johns book, I wouldn't be surprised (Blackest Night, JSA: Kingdom Comes and Infinite Crisis were fairly similar) but Tomasi I expect a bit better writing from.

I'm hoping Brightest Day doesn't drag JL: Generation Lost down into its crappiness, since I really enjoyed its first issue.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, Brightest Day is terrible. When I hear "Brightest Day" I pretty much think of The Brave & the Bold cartoon + the after effects of Darkseid being defeated and then Nekron being defeated.

I never write out my ideas for mainstream comics, I don't usually care enough (and know it doesn't change anything), but here is what would be going down if I was running DC.

-New Krypton is transported to the year whatever, to a time when people aren't afraid of some mildly powered civilians. Que a nice spread where the people of future Earth, all wearing flight rings, greet the Kyrptonians. Zod is bottled.

-Martian Manhunter begins to heal Mars. During the course of the story he'd bring the remaining Martians under his banner and become Emperor Jon'zz. Maybe some comic science to remove the Green/White divide that really shouldn't matter to shape shifters.

-Atlantis begins to rise of it's own accord. Aquaman & Mera, which has a nice ring to it really, are now a dynamic duo. Together they beat up pirates. As a little aside, Aquaman would be confronted by prehistoric fish and dinosaurs that have been brought back to life, he'd have to learn to control them before they attack people.

-Max Lord returns from the dead, but so has Ted Kord, and he wants to clear Max's name. It was some kind of Starro that made Max do all those evil things before the old neck snappy. Booster Gold, both Blue Beetles and Max discover some underground cavern where Starro has been hiding for years. Then they punch it.

-Deadman is now Aliveman! Powerless, he's just alive, with all the useful skills being a small time circus performer provides. Narrative style like the Golden Age, with lots of dramatic inner monologing and action poses.

-Amazons open their island up a little, and many of them are traveling the world tending to those effected by the Anti-Life (everyone?) and the whole zombie thing.

-Tattooman is trying to be good and ain't a villian again damn it. Humbled and can never forgive himself for his past misdeeds, he walks the Earth and beats up petty crooks and thugs as he goes. His story would read like the Sandman comics, with lots of symbolism and mythical characters like angels and fauns showing up to chat with Tattooman about existance. Tattoman shrugs.

-Ditch Teen Titans and replace it with a "Titan's Academy" or something. Discreetly retire most of the Titans, make them teachers or make them Justice League substitues and start with fresh teen characters.

-Bruce Wayne returns just in time for Hush to cheat his way into becoming Mayor of Gothem. Bruce becomes Mayor, Hush gets punched and Dick stays on as Batman after coming to terms with the duty or whatever.

-The Question comes back to life and doesn't tell anyone.

-The Flashes get seperated, some retired and get name changes so I know who the hell they are. One in the Legion of Superheroes can be called Flashforward, the Blue Lantern one can be Blue Blur or whatever.

I feel better now, and worse since I know it's just going to be a gorefest instead.D:

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'd be on board with pretty much all of that.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I'd be on board with pretty much all of that.

Good to hear that Munch, I'm particularly fond of Aquaman & Mera the Wife Wonder. Giant dino-fish surely beat rotting sharks.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's just depressing to me that fans come up with better comic ideas than the people with influence and the people who make the dang things.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know, that Aquaman duo idea is quite good. Superpowered mythological couple? Yes please.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I was about to post more about my ideas but I'm not sure what the point is, haha. They aren't really that grand, I just think they'd take the characters to interesting places. It has just struck me that the Question would be the narrator if one is needed.

I do have a strange urge to redesign the characters I'd use for this though. Can't actually draw...

hmmm

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was about to post more about my ideas but I'm not sure what the point is, haha. They aren't really that grand, I just think they'd take the characters to interesting places. It has just struck me that the Question would be the narrator if one is needed.

I do have a strange urge to redesign the characters I'd use for this though. Can't actually draw...

hmmm

I'll do it. Which one you wanna see first?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2010
    my first teen titans arc is going to have the return of the Titans of Tomorrow

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sean McKeever you get outta here!

By the by, on the idea of Vic Sage coming back to life, I still want to see him return as the Answer. The dude could return from the other side with an even more Zen, enlightened outlook on existence.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Sean McKeever you get outta here!

By the by, on the idea of Vic Sage coming back to life, I still want to see him return as the Answer. The dude could return from the other side with an even more Zen, enlightened outlook on existence.

I'd ruin it by having him say, "VIOLENCE IS THE ANSWER!" and turning him into a Randian version of the Punisher.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »

hmmm

I'll do it. Which one you wanna see first?

Oh well then, erm, hows about a Martian Manhunter redesign? (I'm still going to take a crack at the rest of them some time)

Heres what I'm thinking:
    - At some point during the story, J'onn J'onzz gathers all the Martians togethor and does something akin to a ritual, with a bit of science thrown in, and mixes all the Martian's DNA togethor, "melds minds" with them or something similiar.

- After the ritual all the Martians are changed, their skin is part green, part white. Comedy relief martians could become green and white striped, a religious former green Martian might have a white halo around his head and white hands, while more serious or sinister Martians could have mostly white skin, green veins and uneven green patches.

- J'onn himself now has white markings on his forehead not unlike a crown (exactly like a crown) and a bunch of white tribalish tattoo markings on his arms and legs ect.

-J'onn would be clothed in a simple Jedi-like costume, a dark blue cloak and hood with a cloth belt, tied like a karate belt, you know? He wouldn't wear much beneath it, just his blue pants and big boots. No red cross thing. Much like the character Samurai Jack, his Jedi costume would be torn off/thrown off regularly to show off his tats. I guess you could throw in his red gem Mars symbol under there, maybe on a necklace or on his pants.

-He would be thinner, less muscular than usually portrayed, to play up his many other abilities. Very tall.

-Yep.

EDIT: Just to add very tall. Ha.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i would have a Red Robin storyline in which Jason Todd kidnaps Tim and when Tim wakes up he finds that he's not tied up or anything, but Jason has the newly resurrected Captain Boomerang and tries to get Tim to kill him and then says he'll just do it himself and Tim doesn't try to stop him but then Dick shows up and stops him and then relates to Tim about when he let Tarantula kill Blockbuster and then they both go out and bang some bitches

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What about Tim finding out about white rings bringing people back to life and trying to find one for his dad? That way it's not messing with someone like Ra's to bring back his dad, but I guess a more "pure" way to bring Jack back?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    but if his dad comes back to life he can't walk around as Tim Wayne anymore!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bruce can adopt Jack! Think of the story possibilities.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bruce Wayne: Dad Fucker

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Heres what I'm thinking:
    - At some point during the story, J'onn J'onzz gathers all the Martians togethor and does something akin to a ritual, with a bit of science thrown in, and mixes all the Martian's DNA togethor, "melds minds" with them or something similiar.

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Kinda like the 'Samurai Jack' take on J'onn, with more of a focus on his mental and shape-shifting abilities. Rebuilding a planet's ecosystem and reuniting a shattered people would bring out anyone's spiritual side.

Here's a couple pics I put together. Spoiler'd for large images:

martians.jpg

mm.jpg

mm_marking.jpg

mm2.jpg

jonn_mars.jpg

jonn_bl.jpg

That last one is a gift for me, cuz Saint Walker is great.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    damn
    I love that

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SPECIAL BEAM CANNON

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SPECIAL BEAM CANNON

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I dig those, Yak. It reminds me a little of the Queer Eye for Comics redesign that Wizard did, where they had gay artists do redesigns for various characters.

Actually, anyone have those redesigns on hand? Aquaman's was also pretty good, and Galactus' was fucking hilarious.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    he totally just called you gay, Yak

Garlic Bread on