Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's like if Marvel kept Onslaught around.

I doubt it'll be as bad as Onslaught Reborn.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sounds like Green Lantern is going to focus less on... Lanterns. More on super hero/villain goodness.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/green-lantern-doug-mahnke-100601.html

Tairu on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Johns has the same problem that Bendis has right now. Both guys are simply stretched too thin. Both are the "architects" of these big major crossover series and then on top of that they have an impressive stable of regular monthlies.

I think both of their work would improve tremendously overall if they each dropped about 3 issues per month and spent more time crafting and perfecting their remaining books.

Except Siege was Bendis' last event while DC seems to intend on Johns running all of them forever

Furu on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Johns has the same problem that Bendis has right now. Both guys are simply stretched too thin. Both are the "architects" of these big major crossover series and then on top of that they have an impressive stable of regular monthlies.

I think both of their work would improve tremendously overall if they each dropped about 3 issues per month and spent more time crafting and perfecting their remaining books.

Except Siege was Bendis' last event while DC seems to intend on Johns running all of them forever

Word on the street is Gail Simone is getting a chance to do a crossover.

I wonder if it will be full scale, change-the-universe creative control like Blackest Night, or a contained mini written by editorial with little real change like Amazons Attack.

Lux on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Both of those seemed pretty inconsequential.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Both of those seemed pretty inconsequential.

Blackest Night has a follow-through series and brought back characters and launched a few new titles.

Amazons Attack gave us the "Bees. My God." panel meme, and was basically swept under the rug in Wonder Woman.

Lux on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah but I cant bring myself to have any interest in any of them.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I mean,

I know we need villains and stuff, but why are we keeping the anti-Monitor around?
    He needs to make one more appearance, where he's definitively beaten by Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew.

Munch on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I mean,

I know we need villains and stuff, but why are we keeping the anti-Monitor around?
    He needs to make one more appearance, where he's definitively beaten by Sugar and Spike.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I mean,

He needs to make one more appearance, where he's definitively beaten by Angel and the Ape.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I mean,

He needs to make one more appearance, where he's definitively beaten by TLB.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    duke stop reading my self-insertion fanfiction

it's private

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The current incarnation of the JLA sucks pretty bad. but generation Lost might end up being interesting. just read issue 2 and don`t feel like throwing up.

DeJesus on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So nothing really happens in Brightest Day #3.
    Aliveman fights the Anti-Monitor for some reason. Aquaman summons a dead Killer Whale and then yells about Atlantis. Ronnie yells at the Professor, Jason yells at his father. Jonn visits the freshly skinned corpses of the family who died in #2 and then reads their dog's mind so we get to see the skinning happen. Then Hath-Set builds a giant portal with the skeletons of all of the previous Hawkmans and Hawkgirls.

So yeah, nothing really offensive here except the skinning and resulting skinned corpses.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    SupremeSupreme Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Aliveman fights the Anti-Monitor for some reason. Aquaman summons a dead Killer Whale and then yells about Atlantis. Ronnie yells at the Professor, Jason yells at his father. Jonn visits the freshly skinned corpses of the family who died in #2 and then reads their dog's mind so we get to see the skinning happen. Then Hath-Set builds a giant portal with the skeletons of all of the previous Hawkmans and Hawkgirls.

So yeah, nothing really offensive here except the skinning and resulting skinned corpses.
    I think they're building up to something. Johns' said it isn't a bid event. So I wasn't expecting major things in every issue.

Supreme on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It is building up to Super Happy Fun Day, when half the DCU skins the other half of the DCU and wears them as dresses.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Shit! Brightest Day is turning out to be more gruesome than Blackest Night!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

On the bright side, Johns did get to retcon Jason's childhood. Instead of his father losing his hand in an accident and his mum leaving, his mum's now dead! Woo! Original and completely necessary storylines!

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    See, that annoys me, those Infinite Crisis soft reboots that are completely unnecessary.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    On the bright side, Johns did get to retcon Jason's childhood. Instead of his father losing his hand in an accident and his mum leaving, his mum's now dead! Woo! Original and completely necessary storylines!
    I wonder if that was Johns just not caring to research what happened to Jason's mom, an editorial failing, or an intentional change.

Either way, it's pretty lame.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Is it a retcon, or did she just get killed off panel? Imagine how much more lamer it would be if that was a way to imply she died somewhere between the end of his series and Blackest Night.

Lux on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Issue 4 is kind of picking up steam, but it feels like disaster steam. I am pretty tired right now, and I'm reading it right before I go to bed, so maybe that's making me take it in slower and react more critically to it.
    Evil Mera? WTF. (and an ad for later issues with "She was sent here to kill me" captioned over Aquaman, possibly related?)
    Hawk Skeleton Suggestive Portal Magic Vaginal Travel thing to crazy world? WTF.
    Terribly Written, One Dimensional New Legacy Character?
    Ronnie Raymond and Hawk being even huger douches?

On one hand it's sort of sad that it's becoming this predictable, and on the other hand it's kind of funny as a hardcore fan, becoming almost a parody of the DCU since Infinite Crisis, and of Geoff Johns's worst traits in particular.

It's also a shame, because I've really loved some of these characters in the past, and that will probably be enough to keep me reading. I like deadman, but don't care about aliveman. However, I am still somehow really curious to see what's going to happen with Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, and the Firestorms.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nothing about the story is worth talking about yet. it's certainly... going somewhere but doesn't feel interesting enough to comment on every issue.

at least the last couple of issues haven't had silly over-the-top murder scenes.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wonder about Hawkman and Hawkgirl now, because while I originally thought it would have been a Tomasi penned part of the book because of that great Black Adam mini, but Johns did bring him back and write half of his series. It's almost like Johns is trying to dare himself to incorporate even more of the convoluted Hawk God stuff into the "new" Hawkman, which is exactly the wrong thing to do with the character.

It's as though Johns made Hawkman so simple that now the idea of simple being good just isn't enough and the only way to have good comics is to pile on years and years of continuity just for the sake of it (he's done this with Superman).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Preview of GREEN LANTERN CORPS #49
    green-lantern-corps-vol-2-20100622042644609.jpg

I really like that Bedard is including Corps history from all over the place. Not necessarily rehashing old stories but including old faces and places in new adventures. Definitely off to a good start in my opinion.

Rans on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I didn't know there was gonna be a gleason variant :D

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think I'm going to keep on Bedard's GLC and trade wait Emerald Warriors unless the first issue blows me away. I loved his first issue, and I am psyched to see what he can do.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah, Alpha Lanterns. Always there to remind you just how useless the Guardians really are.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i'm pretty sure we're going to see the end of the alpha lanterns by this arc's conclusion, or at the very least see boodika returned to her normal self

Rans on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So Generation Lost introduced a new Rocket Red. I really, really liked Dimitri Pushkin in JLI. Dude was a big American culture junkie, had kids, and was one of those gentle giant characters, and he had a cool robot suit without being a supergenius like every other robot suit guy, all of which made for an interesting character.

The new guy's kind of.. weird. A devout communist, he hates the West and all it's brought to his country, but is at the same time infatuated with the former members of the JLI, desperately wanting to be part of their Justice League. I'm not sure if I like him or not yet. But he does have a blog, wherein he posts all about his exploits defeating capitalism in his homeland, which I find kind of funny and endearing.

Which, by the way, is a blog gimmick account that someone needs to snap up right away.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    man generations lost

it does one thing I kinda wanna see

and then a billion things I don't

but that one thing is a thing I really do wanna see

someone buy it for me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, seeing everyone from the JLI have their lives ruined depressed the hell out of me, but that new Rocket Red sounds entertaining.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok dudes. Who was the chick in the water in BD#4 with all the Black Manta thugs? She looked like Circe kind of, but seeing as Circe isn't really into aquatics, I figure it isn't her.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lori Lemaris maybe?

Dunno, that's the only other underwater chick I can think of outside of Mera.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Some interesting thoughts on Max Lord and Generation Lost.

Just wanna point out, if the Despero connection comes to pass, I totally wrote that it should happen like, years ago, here in this very forum.

So, there.

Munch on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's true, he totally did.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So what I'm to understand then is that all of DC's current decisions are actually Munch's ideas?

Munch, how could you?

(I'm making terrible leaps in logic just like JMS is doing with Superman and WW hurp de durp)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm sorry guys....

I actually kind of liked Issue 5. It's becoming just a rebirth book for these tons of characters, which I actually like, although I know this will probably only last for the first act or two of the book before everyone comes together to battle threat X again. I actually liked the Aquaman story, and I dug Hawkworld (even the gore in that was cool and justified).

Also, I dug the Atom special as well. Was it just Atom: Rebirth? Yah. Was it even written in a Geoff Johnsian style, with Johnsian prose and tropes? Yah. Did it even de-age Ray just like the other rebirths did? Yep.

But I liked it.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wasn't Ray de aged when he was on the Titans?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Post Zero Hour, yeah.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg