As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Whenever I see Depp acting it always just looks like Depp being Depp. I never considered him a good actor per se. He is very charismatic and fun to watch though

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Whenever I see Depp acting it always just looks like Depp being Depp. I never considered him a good actor per se. He is very charismatic and fun to watch though

You think Edward Scissorhands and Captain Jack are the same character?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

He is a good actor. Unfortunately he hasn't been stretching his acting muscles recently.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

He is a good actor. Unfortunately he hasn't been stretching his acting muscles recently.

Pretty much since the first Pirates.

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »

Maybe he hates working for Disney?

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Naysayers, District 13 was awesome. The live action short for Halo was entertaining, but I just wanted there to be less cuts back and forth between the ship peering down on the soldiers and the behind the shoulder shots.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    3D really needs to go away, rather pay the 8 quid for a 40 min train to go somewhere where it's showing in 2D.

Might make it a double feature with cabin in the woods tomorrow.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Maybe he hates working for Disney?

From what I've heard he just really likes playing these kinds of crazy characters. He's gotten big enough that he can just do that over and over.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Weekend reports have come in and The Avengers has already pulled about 180 Million at the Foreign box office, and hasn't even been released in the US yet.

Looking to be a billion dollar summer blockbuster. I doubt it'll top The Dark Knight, but it'll be a close race. I'm guessing a 250 Million opening weekend in the US this weekend coupled with another 80 million foreign for the week to bring it to around 500+ million worldwide next Monday.

Woo!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    Avengers is the best movie you guys.

Anyone else shocked by:
    Loki's "You Mewling Quim" line?

Also
    Hulk throwing around Loki like a broken toy
    brought cheers from my fellow audience members.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    In the latest Entertainment Weekly, they have an interview with Joss and all seven Avengers. It's a great read, especially when they asked Sam Jackson what he did to prepare. He said he watched what David Hasslehoff did with the role, and that he wouldn't do any of that.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Mattitude wrote: »
    Avengers is the best movie you guys.

Anyone else shocked by:
    Loki's "You Mewling Quim" line?

Yeeeeah that was interesting.
    Spoken with an English accent too. And it's not as if it's only used as slang, the actual definition is an old Victorian word for vagina as far as I know.

But goddamn the entire film is fantastic.
    I know the Hulk kind of stole the comedy show but some of Stark's one liners when he first comes aboard the airship are fantastic. Don't know if it's because I saw it on Saturday morning so it was a lot of parents and kids in there, but refrencing Point Break when talking to Thor was hilarious.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    THANOS.

Holy shit. Didn't expect that. Don't know if it's the best direction for a sequel (too similar a threat?), but I'm definitely intrigued.

Loved the film. Sure, the opening third dragged just a little but, boy, did things pick up. And, wow, Penn and Whedon deserve huge praise for managing to give every character their due. Nobody was shortchanged. My only real disappointment was with Cap's mask/cowl - I only hope they replace it with something akin to the helmet Cap wears in the second series of The Ultimates or his own film. (Funny, I prefer the skin-tight cowl look in the comics but on film it really does look cheap 'n' nasty.)

Can't believe you yanks need to wait the best part of a week for this goodness.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Hulk's one liner after that was better "Puny god"

Brilliant.

• Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Is there a reason why america have to wait that long? Where they afraid it wouldn't do well or is it a to build up hype so it will be packed opening day in america?

• Options
    johnwing wrote: »
    Is there a reason why america have to wait that long? Where they afraid it wouldn't do well or is it a to build up hype so it will be packed opening day in america?

From what I heard, they released this and Battleship early in order to steer clear of soccer season. Really.

Meanwhile, concerning that other Marvel movie most people are having a hard time giving a shit about:
    Sony is looking at The Amazing Spider-Man as an investment. I've heard some really mixed things about the movie - much of which originates from INSIDE Sony - but no matter how the film does (unless the film is an unmitigated disaster, and that won't happen with a property like this), they're coming back for a sequel. Sony is so sure of the sequel that they've hired Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman to write it.

Note that hiring writers to work on sequels before a movie is released is common, and not always a guarantee of that sequel going anywhere. But Kurtzman and Orci are Big Deal Writers, since their movies - despite rarely being any good - have made a lot of money. I imagine their quote is pretty high, so Sony went ahead and dumped a bunch of cash on Spider-Man 2 because they fully intend to get that movie made. And they're hiring Orci and Kurtzman because they want Spider-Man 2 to be as straight down the center as possible - you're not hiring these guys to bring you a nuanced look at anything.

We'll see if The Amazing Spider-Man is as troubled as I've heard (the stories that come to me are that the execs hate it, and you can never tell when the execs are right or when they're stupid, stupid suits). This hiring could be the sign of a major change in direction for the franchise. If you follow Orci's twitter you'll wonder if Spidey will finally investigate 9/11 as an inside job.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/26/transformers-writers-to-pen-amazing-spider-man-sequel/

Those guys wrote Transformers, so everyone who thought "you know what the problem with Spidey is? Not enough explosions" will be pleased.

• Options
    johnwing wrote: »

It's more why do the oversees people get it early.

First weekend in May is the start of the summer blockbuster season in America, so that date makes perfect sense. I'm assuming that the early releases in other countries, though unusual, is due to something similar.

• Options
    Let's be real here. Sony's entire reasoning behind starting a sequel right now is to show intent that there is no way in hell they are letting the license go back to Marvel.

• Options
    Let's be real here. Sony's entire reasoning behind starting a sequel right now is to show intent that there is no way in hell they are letting the license go back to Marvel.

That's also the reason we got this flick to begin with. Which means the chances of it sucking are depressingly high.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I read that after the performance of ruffalow and the way that hulk was written for avengers that they may do a u turn on the no more hulk movies and we could see a hulk film in 2015.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This is where it came from:
    Marvel executives have been “pleasantly surprised by the phenomenal response” to this green superhero, and expect this fan affinity to further strengthen once the movie opens. “His sales are up in a major way. We repositioned him from where he was always misunderstood to now depicting him in a more heroic and aspirational manner,” says Gitter.

If Hulk’s successful turnaround continues, Gitter says Marvel “will spin him off to a stand-alone program next year,” supported by a big budget franchise movie in 2015. The entertainment studio is also exploring ways to promote Hulk as a “corporate icon,” similar to MetLife’s usage of Peanuts’ Snoopy, where The Hulk’s image conveys a message about channeling strength to overcome workplace challenges.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2012/04/30/marvels-five-year-plan-for-the-avengers-to-rescue-the-movies/

...I could get behind that last part. "HULK SMASH INEFFICIENT PRACTICES!!"

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Yes. Yes yes yes. I want that to happen.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    How many times are they going to reboot Hulk before I die?

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Not before the one where Hulk is originally a giant green alien wrestler whose exposure to gamma radiation turns him into a human when he calms down, I hope.

sig.gif
  • Options

They won't reboot Hulk for the next film. It'll still be in the MCU.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »

Not before the one where Hulk is originally a giant green alien wrestler whose exposure to gamma radiation turns him into a human when he calms down, I hope.

There was a bit during Peter David's epic run on Hulk where Hulk was smart and calm, but when he got angry, he turned into Banner. "The angrier he gets, the weaker he gets?"

That scene also has the classic line (while angry Banner's getting manhandled) "Hulk's butt hurts!"

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    There's a pilot in development for a Hulk TV show (to be paired with AKA Jessica Jones) that WILL be canon in the marvel movie universe from what I hear. Its pretty much a done deal, but no ruffalo.

I've also heard red hulk and she hulk are in it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    There's a pilot in development for a Hulk TV show (to be paired with AKA Jessica Jones) that WILL be canon in the marvel movie universe from what I hear. Its pretty much a done deal, but no ruffalo.

I've also heard red hulk and she hulk are in it.

Any idea whose the showrunner? I know AKA Jessica Jones is run by a former Birds of Prey (tv series) writer and Bionic Woman showrunner (or just exec producer).

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What's the correct order for MCU? IM, TIH, IM2, T, CA:TFA, TA? Gotta watch 'em before I see Avengers on Friday.

FUE, SDH VHE PSUE FB:GU! FH, VG G, Z?

It looks like you are correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm curious, anyone else ditching work to go to the AMC marathon on Thursday? (And by "ditching work" I mean "using vacation or other managerially approved PTO")

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm curious, anyone else ditching work to go to the AMC marathon on Thursday? (And by "ditching work" I mean "using vacation or other managerially approved PTO")

I considered it, but I don't know if I could watch 10+ hours worth of movies in a row.

Also, I'm super disappointed in my brother-in-law:

XHgmd.png

I got my father aboard in his place though:

koDmo.png

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I took Friday off (I work at 3AM weekdays) so I could go at 12:01. So pumped.

I debated the movie marathon, but I own all of them, so I'll just watch them on my own over the span of this week.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    The Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin is doing a similar marathon. It'd be great to go, since I could drink beer and eat food the entire time. However like others have said, I don't know if I could handle 10 hours of movies before I could even watch the Avengers.

Instead I'm working from home Thursday. I'll have the movies playing on my desktop while I work.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Nope, me and some friends did our own marathon last Saturday. It worked out pretty great, as we had comfy couches and recliners as seating rather than movie theater chairs. Plus, we could make all the jokes we wanted without getting kicked out.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    You know, it's weird. I really dug the introspection and character examination of Ang Lee's Hulk, even though it needed more smashing and the ending was a mess. Incredible Hulk had plenty of smashing and arguably the most satisfying final battle of the Avengers bunch (except for maybe Iron Man vs. Iron Monger), but Banner's personal struggles and, to a large extent, personality was lost.

Ah well. From what I've heard many critics and attendees say is that the Hulk is handled fantastically in Avengers with the best of both the worlds I described, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Watched Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk back to back. What was it that people hated about TIH? I still feel like it's a pretty solid film.

To be fair it came out the same year as Iron Man, and most films will look bad by comparison.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I own both Iron Mans and Thor, so I'm planning on renting Cap and TIH to have my own at home blu-ray marathon.

Sadly, I work Thursday, so no all-day marathon for me, but I'll be at the 12:01 IMAX screening w/ bells on.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Word is the U.S. release of Avengers has TWO secret scenes in the credits. The one in the middle of them that was in the international release, and a brand new one at the end. Looks like Robert Downey Jr. wasn't lying about filming new stuff.

Here's the link, but keep in mind these are MASSIVE SPOILERS.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/05/please_note_there_are_two_avengers_bonus_scenes_sp.php

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    haha! Patience (and being American) is a virtue!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    haha! Patience (and being American) is a virtue!

Those virtues are usually mutually exclusive.

This discussion has been closed.