As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The gauntlet in the comics is one of Thanos' own gloves with the six gems attached. The gems are what grant the power - the glove's nothing special.

The gauntlet might not be a thing like Harry said - Thanos went after the Cube first in the comics, and targeted the gems after that plan fell through.

I could see Thor 2 involve Thanos attacking Asgard to get the Cube back, and from there we learn all about him and his deal.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    The gauntlet in the comics is one of Thanos' own gloves with the six gems attached. The gems are what grant the power - the glove's nothing special.

The gauntlet might not be a thing like Harry said - Thanos went after the Cube first in the comics, and targeted the gems after that plan fell through.

I could see Thor 2 involve Thanos attacking Asgard to get the Cube back, and from there we learn all about him and his deal.
    I admit to not knowing a whole lot about the Gems but I gotta think that the fact that the Glove appears when you collect all Gems means it's important.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    My only real complaint about the movie
    the antagonist didn't seem very strong in relation to the main characters, and his individual defeat was so easy it was played for a laugh (admittedly, the biggest laugh of the whole film). I'm sure any sequels will ramp this up, but it was the one point of anti-climax for me.

Everything else was magnificent. Loved it.
    Loki was never supposed to be a direct threat. That's why he needed the Cube, to bring the actual threat to Earth. The Avengers weren't scared of him so much as they were scared of what he had set in motion. And really, if he hadn't been stopped when he did, Earth would have been extremely screwed even with the Avengers around.

Oh, I agree that's the case, I just think
    It was a slight point of weakness for this type of film to have that separation where Loki is the antagonist with the face but he's a bit pathetic on his own, and the real threat is a faceless alien horde. Loki was a fun character and well-executed for what he was, but it's always more satisfying when you have a well fleshed out villain who is also a very competent adversary.

I guess Whedon has always been a little hit-or-miss with his antagonists. Sometimes he'll have incredible villains (Angelus in Buffy, Holtz in Angel, the Operative in Serenity), other times the antagonist is a faceless entity (Wolfram & Hart through much of Angel, Blue Sun in Firefly) or just plain falls flat (Adam, Glory, and The First in Buffy).
    It's not like Loki was helpless. He brainwashed Hawkeye, almost beat Cap (whose lucky Iron Man was around and that Loki wanted to be caught by SHIELD), held Tony hostage and fought him then tricked Thor into locking himself in a prison for the Hulk & fought him in a duel which was not any time for Thor. Losing to the Hulk isn't humiliating in itself, it's the Hulk. Loki made the mistake in being arrogant and fighting it up close rather then using illusions or retreating.

yeah, he's portrayed a certain way through the film, and then that all just kind of goes away when it's time for him to get his comeuppance.
    like, there should've been a scene where he got outsmarted, or fell victim to his own arrogance or cowardice. They foreshadowed that decently heavily in the scenes on the helicarrier, and then at the end he just like... gets beat up by the hulk? Sort of a let down.

although based on the end of the movie it seems likely we'll hear from him again.
    Loki was in over his head with the Hulk. He underestimated how powerful "mere mortals" could be which bit him on the ass. It was a satisfying conclusion IMO. Avengers gave him some humility so I expect the next time he shows up he won't underestimate Earth, or the Hulk, again. Which will only make him more dangerous.

Exactly
    On top of which while Loki is certainly physically strong/powerful by regular old person standards that's not really his thing and afaik he doesn't really stack up in the grand scheme of superheros/villians in that department. His real strength has always been the scheming and trickery side of things from what I've gathered

Him trying to pull the "BOW BEFORE ME, MORTAL!" schtick with Hulk and getting, well, that in response was both satisfying and hilarious.

• Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    the antagonist didn't seem very strong in relation to the main characters, and his individual defeat was so easy it was played for a laugh (admittedly, the biggest laugh of the whole film). I'm sure any sequels will ramp this up, but it was the one point of anti-climax for me.

Loki was never supposed to be a direct threat. That's why he needed the Cube, to bring the actual threat to Earth. The Avengers weren't scared of him so much as they were scared of what he had set in motion. And really, if he hadn't been stopped when he did, Earth would have been extremely screwed even with the Avengers around.

It was a slight point of weakness for this type of film to have that separation where Loki is the antagonist with the face but he's a bit pathetic on his own, and the real threat is a faceless alien horde. Loki was a fun character and well-executed for what he was, but it's always more satisfying when you have a well fleshed out villain who is also a very competent adversary.

I guess Whedon has always been a little hit-or-miss with his antagonists. Sometimes he'll have incredible villains (Angelus in Buffy, Holtz in Angel, the Operative in Serenity), other times the antagonist is a faceless entity (Wolfram & Hart through much of Angel, Blue Sun in Firefly) or just plain falls flat (Adam, Glory, and The First in Buffy).
    It's not like Loki was helpless. He brainwashed Hawkeye, almost beat Cap (whose lucky Iron Man was around and that Loki wanted to be caught by SHIELD), held Tony hostage and fought him then tricked Thor into locking himself in a prison for the Hulk & fought him in a duel which was not any time for Thor. Losing to the Hulk isn't humiliating in itself, it's the Hulk. Loki made the mistake in being arrogant and fighting it up close rather then using illusions or retreating.

yeah, he's portrayed a certain way through the film, and then that all just kind of goes away when it's time for him to get his comeuppance.
    like, there should've been a scene where he got outsmarted, or fell victim to his own arrogance or cowardice. They foreshadowed that decently heavily in the scenes on the helicarrier, and then at the end he just like... gets beat up by the hulk? Sort of a let down.

although based on the end of the movie it seems likely we'll hear from him again.
    Loki was in over his head with the Hulk. He underestimated how powerful "mere mortals" could be which bit him on the ass. It was a satisfying conclusion IMO. Avengers gave him some humility so I expect the next time he shows up he won't underestimate Earth, or the Hulk, again. Which will only make him more dangerous.
    I thought it was perfect. Loki has been made out to be a credible threat. He has gone toe to toe with Thor and Captain America in physical fights. We know he is a crafty manipulative bastard who does everything he can to psyche out his opponents. You see it throughout the entire movie where he is always playing mind games and everyone always wants to play back. Thor wants to redeem his brother, Stark tries to threaten him, he even gets under the Black Widows skin to a degree (that scene with the two of them was brilliant). In every exchange he either has or maintains the illusion that he is controlling either events or the conversation. He has pretty much treated the Hulk as a tool to use. He does not view the Hulk as a real threat to him, he casually dismisses him because he is used to large, strong creatures that he can easily best.

Then he meets the Hulk, and he does what he always does. He starts talking about how weak and pathetic the Hulk is, and how he could never hope to defeat him. Everyone else would let him finish speaking an then come back with some witty banter. The Hulk does not wait for him to even finish speaking, he picks him up like a rag doll and beats him into the ground, then casually discards him like one would a used tissue and walks away. In that one scene the Hulk destroys everything Loki is, and you can see as Loki laying there the expression on his face is absolutely perfect. Physically he is hurt, but the real damage is that control was just completely stripped from him and mentally he does not know how to handle that. He realizes that not only could he not have stopped the Hulk, but that the only reason the Hulk stopped short of beating him to death was because the Hulk was done with him. I do not think the character has ever been so casually dismissed as a threat in his life, and you can see it on his face. That look of "What the fuck just happened" to me was perfect.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Too bad we'll never get a Thor / Beta Ray Bill movie. Since the big G is caught up with the FF license they could have him crash land in Asgard after fighting off the Annihilation wave after his home planet is destroyed. He tries to claim Thor's hammer because with out its power the wave will spread unchecked. Fight ensues and Odin deems Ray worthy and gives him Stormbreaker and BAM lead into the Annihilation movie(s)

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    @Psychotic One I have no idea what you just said.

Speaking of the Fantastic Four though, isn't the guy playing cap the same guy who played Johnny Storm? Crossovers could be tricky.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Ive heard rumors, well, I guess it's more speculation because I don't think its come from anyone credible, but
    That they will attempt the Beta Ray Bill story, with Bill as a Chituari. The faces looked similar enough that they just make Bill a variation of that race, and they're set. I'd love that.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »

I thought it was perfect. Loki has been made out to be a credible threat. He has gone toe to toe with Thor and Captain America in physical fights. We know he is a crafty manipulative bastard who does everything he can to psyche out his opponents. You see it throughout the entire movie where he is always playing mind games and everyone always wants to play back. Thor wants to redeem his brother, Stark tries to threaten him, he even gets under the Black Widows skin to a degree (that scene with the two of them was brilliant). In every exchange he either has or maintains the illusion that he is controlling either events or the conversation. He has pretty much treated the Hulk as a tool to use. He does not view the Hulk as a real threat to him, he casually dismisses him because he is used to large, strong creatures that he can easily best.

Then he meets the Hulk, and he does what he always does. He starts talking about how weak and pathetic the Hulk is, and how he could never hope to defeat him. Everyone else would let him finish speaking an then come back with some witty banter. The Hulk does not wait for him to even finish speaking, he picks him up like a rag doll and beats him into the ground, then casually discards him like one would a used tissue and walks away. In that one scene the Hulk destroys everything Loki is, and you can see as Loki laying there the expression on his face is absolutely perfect. Physically he is hurt, but the real damage is that control was just completely stripped from him and mentally he does not know how to handle that. He realizes that not only could he not have stopped the Hulk, but that the only reason the Hulk stopped short of beating him to death was because the Hulk was done with him. I do not think the character has ever been so casually dismissed as a threat in his life, and you can see it on his face. That look of "What the fuck just happened" to me was perfect.
    True
    Also Loki sees himself as a King, Lord of all he sees and commander of a vast host of warriors. The idea that any of the Avengers can challenge King Loki is outrageous. Loki sees himself as above such things. The Idea that the Hulk especially should try to face him in combat is especially outrageous. The Hulk in Loki's eyes is a animal(true to some extent), he shouldn't have to fight animals.

Then Hulk smashes him like a ragdoll and man does that never get old.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Ive heard rumors, well, I guess it's more speculation because I don't think its come from anyone credible, but
    That they will attempt the Beta Ray Bill story, with Bill as a Chituari. The faces looked similar enough that they just make Bill a variation of that race, and they're set. I'd love that.
    Could work with maybe with a variation of a color tint and a slightly longer face. I would love Space Horse Thor to be around for the Guardian's movie and hopefully an Annihilation wave movie if the space stuff takes off in a big way

• Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular

^
    This :)

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Then Hulk smashes him like a ragdoll and man does that never get old.

Yeapp. I cannot stop watching this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjK9CSZwx4w

And I didn't even hear him say "Puny God", because the audience was still laughing and cheering. Damn what a great moment.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Also, Avengers made more on Monday than many blockbusters make on opening day Friday

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    that clip is better that Hitler step-dancing.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    @Psychotic One I have no idea what you just said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Ray_Bill
    Speaking of the Fantastic Four though, isn't the guy playing cap the same guy who played Johnny Storm? Crossovers could be tricky.

Yes, Evans' played Human Torch in Fox Fantastic Four movies. Cross-overs won't be an issue if Marvel gets the license back they'd simply recast the group and reboot it.

• Options
    Yes, Evans' played Human Torch in Fox Fantastic Four movies. Cross-overs won't be an issue if Marvel gets the license back they'd simply recast the group and reboot it.
    sigh.

if only...

• Options
    the_Frollo wrote: »
    sigh.

if only...

It's not impossible. FF isn't a major franchise like Spider-man or X-men. There's less motivation for Fox to keep them, though it depends on how much they want to keep it from Disney/Marvel.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

^
    This :)

Yeah, Hulk sure does make the best moments in the film.

CA: "Oh, and hulk?"
    Hulk: Gruh?
    CA: "Smash."
    Hulk *GRINS*

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Also, Thor often has a beard in his comics, doesn't he?

Not typically.

Classic Thor

Ultimate Thor

Exhibit C (which I'm pretty sure is the actual Thor and not a stand-in):

Avengers_Late-80s.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    All those scales

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, I didn't hear that

puny god

comment in the theater, either, because the audience was going fucking nuts.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Also, Thor often has a beard in his comics, doesn't he?

Not typically.

Classic Thor

Ultimate Thor

Exhibit C (which I'm pretty sure is the actual Thor and not a stand-in):

Avengers_Late-80s.jpg

That was from a specific time in his history when he had been cursed or something to have brittle bones. Hence the armour and letting himself go with the beard.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Current Marvel movie Thor is very very obviously influenced by Ultimate Thor.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    poshniallo wrote: »

Thor spoilers
    Yes he was influenced, only he was definitely faithful to 616 Thor. They kept the "is he crazy or a god" thing from Ultimates what else did they duplicate from Ultimate Thor?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Could work with maybe with a variation of a color tint and a slightly longer face. I would love Space Horse Thor to be around for the Guardian's movie and hopefully an Annihilation wave movie if the space stuff takes off in a big way

I don't remember
    bill being involved in the annihilation event at all... Regardless though I would do disgusting things to get a GoG, annihilation, any future cosmic movie made. I hope disney hears that. I will do things!

• Options
    sigh.

if only...

It's not impossible. FF isn't a major franchise like Spider-man or X-men. There's less motivation for Fox to keep them, though it depends on how much they want to keep it from Disney/Marvel.

I know, but seeing as the superhero genre is the hot stuff these days, I doubt they'll ever let the franchise slip from their greedy, greasy misshapen little fingers.
    I'm hoping for some kind of hostage barter, where they will accept money (in a big brown sack with a dollar sign on it) from Marvel to let the lease end, without making a shacky handicam "Teenage Fantastic Four" movie every year only to keep it.

• Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    That silent movie clip makes me so very happy. I think I'll just leave that on loop for the rest of the day.

The idea of bringing in Beta Ray Bill as a rogue Chitauri is sort of brilliant.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    sigh.

if only...

After Avengers? I would think they are holding on to FF as if their life depended on it. Even a weaker franchise is better then no franchise and a hell of a lot better then giving back to your rival so they can integrate FF into their awesome Avengers franchise(Making it even more awesome). Movie making is a business and a FF with the tagline "from the people who created the Avengers" is a moneymaker now.

And I like Evans' a lot better as Cap, then I did as Torch. Of course that may have something to do with the FF movie sucking balls.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    sigh.

if only...

I know, but seeing as the superhero genre is the hot stuff these days, I doubt they'll ever let the franchise slip from their greedy, greasy misshapen little fingers.
    I'm hoping for some kind of hostage barter, where they will accept money (in a big brown sack with a dollar sign on it) from Marvel to let the lease end, without making a shacky handicam "Teenage Fantastic Four" movie every year only to keep it.

The super-hero genre's been hot for years and they screwed up the franchise twice. They got a decent profit from the movie, just nothing substantial. That's why I'm not ruling out the possibility completely. Might be a while and they'll try to keep it I simply don't believe they'll hold onto it in a death grip like, say, X-men. Hopefully they do let the deadline lapse unintentionally when the next deadline comes.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular

Thor spoilers
    Yes he was influenced, only he was definitely faithful to 616 Thor. They kept the "is he crazy or a god" thing from Ultimates what else did they duplicate from Ultimate Thor?
    Even the "is he crazy or a god" thing was basically only used for gags in the Thor movie, since we the audience knew all along that he actually is a god. I feel like a lot of people just like to say they borrow a lot from the Ultimate universe when the movies stray from the 616. Yes the movies do borrow things from the ultimate universe, but they also borrow a lot of things from the 616 universe, and some things they just kind of do their own way not being directly taken from one universe or the other.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    It's funny - growing up I was ALL X-Men. Loved the whole X-Men world, and viewed the Avengers/Spidey as too stuffy and old. And was all about Excalibur - the X-Men off in Europe that dealt with stuff over there. I thought it was cool to be on the fringe, having Cyclops come over and check-in, having members leaving meant they crossed the pond and it was a big deal because they couldn't just pop back.

As I got older though, I started to shift and thought the X-Men had too many weird issues, and the Avengers started to be cooler. I dont mean comic book issues, like the books, but too many weird hang-ups as characters. I started to like how the greater Marvel U had a cool ever-changing roster of Avengers, and you could follow them as individuals too.

And now I think the one property I'd like Marvel to get back most is the one I never had ANY interest ever in - the Fantastic Four. I've just started gravitating away from political, weird, "we're so persecuted!" plots to the dynamics of families (biological or forced). I'd LOVE to see Reed working alongside Banner and Stark now.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options

Thor spoilers
    Even the "is he crazy or a god" thing was basically only used for gags in the Thor movie, since we the audience knew all along that he actually is a god. I feel like a lot of people just like to say they borrow a lot from the Ultimate universe when the movies stray from the 616. Yes the movies do borrow things from the ultimate universe, but they also borrow a lot of things from the 616 universe, and some things they just kind of do their own way not being directly taken from one universe or the other.

Agreed.
    It was inspired choice to make Thor a human version of himself rather than possessing Don Blake. I was skeptical at first only to be won over with the concept. Sure this mean he no longer has a secret identity unlike in the comics but like Iron Man the concept is good enough to stand on its own without it. It also gives him another difference from Superman.

• Options

Thor spoilers

Agreed.
    It was inspired choice to make Thor a human version of himself rather than possessing Don Blake. I was skeptical at first only to be won over with the concept. Sure this mean he no longer has a secret identity unlike in the comics but like Iron Man the concept is good enough to stand on its own without it. It also gives him another difference from Superman.

more Thor spoilers:
    I loved how they twisted the concept even further - because he DID become Donald Blake, at first being given his clothes, and then later that's the name they tell SHEILD - so everyone calls him Dr. Blake for awhile after that.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Thor spoilers

Agreed.

more Thor spoilers:
    I loved how they twisted the concept even further - because he DID become Donald Blake, at first being given his clothes, and then later that's the name they tell SHEILD - so everyone calls him Dr. Blake for awhile after that.

That was great. Thor spoilers
    Blake does exist, he's Jane's ex yet doesn't appear in person. I'd like to see him eventually meeting Thor.

It's funny - growing up I was ALL X-Men. Loved the whole X-Men world, and viewed the Avengers/Spidey as too stuffy and old. And was all about Excalibur - the X-Men off in Europe that dealt with stuff over there. I thought it was cool to be on the fringe, having Cyclops come over and check-in, having members leaving meant they crossed the pond and it was a big deal because they couldn't just pop back.

As I got older though, I started to shift and thought the X-Men had too many weird issues, and the Avengers started to be cooler. I dont mean comic book issues, like the books, but too many weird hang-ups as characters. I started to like how the greater Marvel U had a cool ever-changing roster of Avengers, and you could follow them as individuals too.

Same here. Not having X-men or Spider-man ended up being a godsend to Marvel and the Avengers. I'm glad they're finally getting their time in the spotlight.
    And now I think the one property I'd like Marvel to get back most is the one I never had ANY interest ever in - the Fantastic Four. I've just started gravitating away from political, weird, "we're so persecuted!" plots to the dynamics of families (biological or forced). I'd LOVE to see Reed working alongside Banner and Stark now.

I recommend Claremont's, Waid's and JMS runs on FF. Hickman's is meant to be good, as well. Ultimate FF is great, too. Especially Ellis & Carey's runs.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    X-men kind of went off the deep end in the later nineties.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Superhero comics did generally, I think.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I think I stopped reading comics in general in the late 90s. The last thing I read was Magneto ripping out Wolverine's adamantium skeleton.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Btw, was I the only one who thought that Cobie Smulders was a total miscast in that movie?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I thought she was pretty good. It's not as if Maria Hill has a huge amount of personality in the comics other than occasionally stroppy but insanely efficient and capable.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I thought she was pretty good. It's not as if Maria Hill has a huge amount of personality in the comics other than occasionally stroppy but insanely efficient and capable.

I don't read the comics and have no idea who Maria Hill even is, other than what I saw in the movie. I just thought Smulders wasn't any good in the movie. Of course I am biased, as I only know her as Robin Scherbatzky.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Superhero comics did generally, I think.

The 90s was kind of horrible for superhero comics, yeah. Spider-Man had the Clone Saga and then Maximum Carnage. Superman died, got a mullet, and then split into two Supermen. Heroes Reborn happened. Rob Liefeld got famous for being a shitty artist.

On the other hand, Grant Morrison had his awesome run on JLA, Batman had great storylines in Bane and No Man's Land, Robinson wrote Starman, Waid wrote the Flash, and Busiek wrote Avengers.

This discussion has been closed.