As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Everquest II

• smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for your answers DeadlyVenom

Couple more follow ups

Are groups pretty much just "tank, heal, dps" types or do that have different setups?
    Are there any classes that are "always in demand"?
    You said Rangers are quiet common, is that because they are solo friendly or are they just able to dish out a lot of DPS?

Thought of something else:
    How is "downtime" are you able to heal up while fighting or do you have to stop and eat and drink to regain heath/mana?
    How's PvE combat? Is it just a point and click fest or is there some interaction where you need to be moving and such?

smokmnky on
  • DeadlyVenomDeadlyVenom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    smokmnky wrote:
    Thanks for your answers DeadlyVenom

Couple more follow ups

Are groups pretty much just "tank, heal, dps" types or do that have different setups?

Are there any classes that are "always in demand"?

You said Rangers are quiet common, is that because they are solo friendly or are they just able to dish out a lot of DPS?

Rangers are common because they are in the 1st tier of DPS, and I suppose they can be pretty good soloers. You have be careful with them though, because most of their damage is from far, you have to snare/stun your target alot.

Groups usually pretty much end up as get a tank, a healer and dps and go. As that is the fastest way to get a group going. But, with my friends if we have a set up on our own we like to have:

Main Tank (Beserk or Guardian)
    Back Up Tank/DPS (Monk)
    Crowd Control + Buffs (Illusionist or Coercer)
    High Teir Scout for DPS Tracking Disarming (Ranger or Assassin)
    High Teir Mage DPS (Wizard, Warlock, Conjuror, Necro)
    Bard for DPS and Buffs (Dirge or Troubadour)

Classes always in demand? I don't really know. There are very very few Coercers and Illusionists because they are tough tough tough to solo with, but the best group mate if you have one. Healers are always welcome, any Clerics Shamans or Druids of any sort. There doesn't seem to be much of a real demand for a certain class as in they are hard to find, and every group is looking for them. Each class has its place in a group and would be welcome I would suppose.
    smokmnky wrote:
    Thought of something else:
    How is "downtime" are you able to heal up while fighting or do you have to stop and eat and drink to regain heath/mana?
    How's PvE combat? Is it just a point and click fest or is there some interaction where you need to be moving and such?

There is really no downtime to speak of. In EQ (I dunno about WoW) you usually have to watch your Mana to make sure you have enough for the next fight, because downtime was so terrible. In EQ2, out of combat health and mana regen is very fast, depending on the food and drink you have. The food and drink you put in your slots for consumption can have vary levels of out of combat mana/health regen, but if you just stick with the normal merchant bought stuff you can get by. But in the higher levels crafted food and drink is nice to speed up what little downtime there is.

PVE combat is pretty involved. Especially if you are a scout. A scout (like my Assassin) has to keep constantly moving to get the best attacks of opprotunity. A lot of my attacks require me behind/flanking/stealth or like 10 meters away behind and flanking. So I have to constantly stun and root enemies so I can get a few arrows in them or unleash a stealth attack.

A good amount of group fights and high level encounters aren't just bigger angrier mobs, but actual large amounts of enemies. So there is quite a bit of coordination needed to get by those attacks without a healer dieing or something of the sort.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Rangers are common because they are in the 1st tier of DPS, and I suppose they can be pretty good soloers. You have be careful with them though, because most of their damage is from far, you have to snare/stun your target alot.

That's pretty much the way a Hunter in WoW plays too. At least once you get epics and start really doing some damage, I often pull stuff away from my pet and have it running at me so I have to then start running and shooting.

Thanks for your help I may have to give that free trial a shot and see. To bad Burning Crusade is coming out tomorrow. Oh well with Blizzard's track record I'll have plenty of time to try out the Free Trial because the servers will be down :)

smokmnky on
    edited January 2007
    I took a few screenshots of some stuff for those of you who havn't played before.

I just took a few pics of my char, the crazy Christmas zone, some select shots of higher range zones from the original expansionless game. Didn't get to the stuff from DoF or KoS.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v43/DeadlyVenom/EQ2/?action=view&current=EQ2_000000.jpg

You can scroll through em there.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Let me ask one more question. Currently my PC is on its "last legs" so to speak. I have a P4 2.4 with 1.5gigs of ram and a ATI 9800Pro 128. Think my system can run it reasonably well? Or am I going to have issues?

smokmnky on
    edited January 2007
    smokmnky wrote:
    Let me ask one more question. Currently my PC is on its "last legs" so to speak. I have a P4 2.4 with 1.5gigs of ram and a ATI 9800Pro 128. Think my system can run it reasonably well? Or am I going to have issues?

My friend ran EQ2 for a while on his AMD 2200+ 768Megs of Ram and ATI 9600....

He had to have it look like an anus to run though.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    So I might be ok to run it. Oh well downloading the trial now

smokmnky on
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deadly is your guild on Nagafen or Mistmoore?

Aretè on
    edited January 2007
    Aretè wrote:
    Deadly is your guild on Nagafen or Mistmoore?

The PA guild is on Mistmoore.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ah gotcha, how is that server in general?

And what is your guild like? Population level range, etc etc, dont mean to give you the third degree, friend and I are on AIM right now deciding what servers to go back to.

Aretè on
    edited January 2007
    Aretè wrote:
    Ah gotcha, how is that server in general?

And what is your guild like? Population level range, etc etc, dont mean to give you the third degree, friend and I are on AIM right now deciding what servers to go back to.

Mistmoore is certainly one of the most populated servers, it is pretty easy to get groups etc, but there isn't any lag problems.

However, I certainly wouldn't come because of the Copper Venue guild, it has been deserted since summer '05 with the last EQII Game On. I suppose if more people come back to Mistmoore there will be some, but right now it is a ghost guild.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gonna pick up the game in the morning but I got called into a bartending shift today, so I'll see you for a split second on Tuesday but will be getting into it with a fervor on Wednesday.

Esh on
    edited January 2007
    Quick, someone needs to convince me not to buy the expansion.

I can not resist its siren song.

AHHHHH.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Well I downloaded the trial last night, 13hrs later and I think it updated. I'm not sure I left for work and didn't check it this morning. Holy cow I thought Blizzards patches were crazy but 13hrs! Anyone have a link to a direct patch download? Or do I just wait it out every time?

smokmnky on
    edited January 2007
    smokmnky wrote:
    Well I downloaded the trial last night, 13hrs later and I think it updated. I'm not sure I left for work and didn't check it this morning. Holy cow I thought Blizzards patches were crazy but 13hrs! Anyone have a link to a direct patch download? Or do I just wait it out every time?

Well it isn't so much as a patch, as it downloads like the entire game for some ungodly reason.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wish I had time for this game :(

<3'd the time I spent in it so much. I was a hardcore EQ raider... so a bit of a Norrath fanboy.

I have the collector's edition on my shelf and I still say it was one of the best collectors editions ever.

This game deserves more players but I think the performance requirements are still too high for the demographic.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited January 2007

AHHHHH.

Buyyyyyy ittttttt.

Esh on
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:

AHHHHH.

Buyyyyyy ittttttt.

Nooooooooooooooo!

Blast you digital download and your convenient way of stealing my monies!

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

AHHHHH.

I could try, but since this is the first EQ2 thread in a while with a good OP I've been staying out.

jothki on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Right now is by far the best time to be a new player to EQ2. The Echoes of Faydwer expansion adds TONS of content, and it spans the entire 1-70 level range (although some areas are a bit light, but that is filled in by the previous expansions). Since you can buy EoF in retail stores and get every expansion with it, it's a bargain.

I personally think the graphics in EQ2 are way beyond WoW, but I run a pretty good machine. On a mid-range machine where WoW will still look great, EQ2 can start to chug if you don't turn down some of the detail. They've been working on a new skeleton system that will hopefully fix people's complaints about the models.

Animation wise, it's way more detailed than WoW. In WoW, for example, you cast a buff, and a little icon will appear over people's heads, or a small graphic displays. I cast shadow bolt, and a little bolt flies to the enemy. In EQ2, I cast Swarm of Bats, and my character literally hovers off the ground with his arms crossed, and bats swarm out from him and onto the enemy. I cast Shattered Terrain, and the ground actually shakes as boulders rain on the entire group of enemies I'm fighting. When spirit of the wolf is cast, a translucent running wolf spirit actually appears where your character is standing.

I am a solo/single group player at heart, and I always have something to do. The housing system is great and it's a lot of fun to decorate your own house. I've done over 1200 quests, and I know people in my guild who have done over 2000 (those are unique quests, mind you). Aside from the 70 levels, there are 100 Achievement Points you earn alongside your regular experience that let you add special abilities or increase the power of your current ones. The community, in my opinion, is leagues beyond most other MMOs I've played, especially on the RP servers (I'm not an RPer, but it seems to attract more mature players).

There is even an entire website where you can view your stats, how you compare to other people on your server or the entire game world, and other information. For example, here's my character's link:Click here

If you can't tell already, I highly recommend the game. You can always send cross-server tells too, so if anyone has questions feel free to message Antonia_Bayle.Ganluan and I'll be happy to respond.

Ganluan on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    woot... profile sharing time!

this is me... http://eq2players.station.sony.com/characters/character_profile.vm?characterId=187332108

account innactive though :(

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sorry I forgot to check the thread. I'll make sure to send a tell next time I logon to join the guild. I leveled my Wizard to a nice level, though.

Invisible on
    edited January 2007
    Installing right now. Like I said, keep an eye out for Cerys.

Esh on
    edited January 2007
    Well I just got my Burning Crusade xpac so it looks like I'll be tied up there for a while but I am going to try and check this out. I was already to yesterday but 13hrs! I mean WTF if you want me to play don't make me wait 13hrs.

smokmnky on
    edited January 2007
    Ugh. Even with buying the new expansion I still have 7 hours of updating. Christ Almighty.

What's up with these "Adventure Packs"? Worth getting?

Esh on
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    Ugh. Even with buying the new expansion I still have 7 hours of updating. Christ Almighty.

The adventure packs are just a group of smaller zones that go for 6 - 8 bucks, I don't really use any of them. Some say that the Splitpaw one is worth it, but I wouldn't really worry about it. With all the expansions you should have more than enough content to keep you busy for many many many many many characters.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:

The adventure packs are just a group of smaller zones that go for 6 - 8 bucks, I don't really use any of them. Some say that the Splitpaw one is worth it, but I wouldn't really worry about it. With all the expansions you should have more than enough content to keep you busy for many many many many many characters.

It's adjusted to 3 hours now.

I tend to only play one...MAYBE 2 characters. I had a Bard and...a Ranger I believe in EQ1 years ago. Thinking about popping out a Wood Elf Ranger for this. I can't wait to see the graphics cranked. Looks beautiful.

Esh on
    edited January 2007
    Invisible wrote:
    Sorry I forgot to check the thread. I'll make sure to send a tell next time I logon to join the guild. I leveled my Wizard to a nice level, though.

What's your character's name so I can keep an eye out? Are we going to put our character's names in the OP?

Esh on
  • KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    how is it possible to both:

a) read the opening post
    b) not die of laughter?

and finally, c) take this game seriously?

Kiwistrike on
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    Invisible wrote:

What's your character's name so I can keep an eye out? Are we going to put our character's names in the OP?

Iseal, Erudite Wizard.

Invisible on
    edited January 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote:

a) read the opening post
    b) not die of laughter?

???

Esh on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote:

a) read the opening post
    b) not die of laughter?

Huh? It's not that bad. Except the midget woman with huge knockers.

Do not want.

JJ on
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:
    Kiwistrike wrote:

a) read the opening post
    b) not die of laughter?

Do not want.

At least I didn't post the pictures of them with beards.

Invisible on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Invisible wrote:
    JJ wrote:
    Kiwistrike wrote:

a) read the opening post
    b) not die of laughter?

Do not want.

At least I didn't post the pictures of them with beards.
    needs more Lineage 2 loli dwarves.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited January 2007
    051.jpg

Where is this? Cause I wanna stay far fuckin' away from it.

Esh on
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    051.jpg

The old portal to the plane of fear, doesn't do anything now...but it does sit all scary like in the Feerott.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    051.jpg

The old portal to the plane of fear, doesn't do anything now...but it does sit all scary like in the Feerott.

Seems like Rangers are more ranged. What's a decent straight up weapons class? More offense than defense? Maybe with some medium weight armors?

Esh on
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    Esh wrote:

Seems like Rangers are more ranged. What's a decent straight up weapons class? More offense than defense? Maybe with some medium weight armors?

Rangers and Assassins are both high teir DPS. Do the samish job but,

Assassin is 90% melee 10% ranged, Ranger is more like 50% melee 50% ranged.

Except I am not positive of the percentage on rangers, but you get the idea.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    Esh wrote:

I'd have to be an evil race to be an Assassin though...not sure if that's what I want. Grawr.

Esh on
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    Esh wrote:

I'd have to be an evil race to be an Assassin though...not sure if that's what I want. Grawr.

Swashbucklers are pretty good dual weilding stabby scouts. Not as high on the DPS teirs as assassin, but they do their job.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg