As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Everquest II

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Docken wrote: »
    Ok guys, can anyone give some brief explanations on what the x-pacs did? Oh, and what does AA do in particular? I hear alternative abilities but don't know what that means??

Any other stuff (like veteran bonuses? What are they?) that I should know about? I started a char back in Jan 2005 but haven't played much past 30... on AB no less (always knew it was the best server!)

You guys... now I am thinking of a glorious (ie completely unwitting) return to EQ... hmmmm

Each expansion raised the level cap (with the exception of Echoes of Faydwer), the last 2 have each added a new race and starting city. AA allows you to get extra abilities or enhance your existing abilities with AA points you earn by questing, killing certain things, etc.

Veteran rewards are given to players based on when their account was created. They're fun stuff but nothing hugely cool.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Red GearRed Gear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I have not been reading through all the pages in this thread, just sort of browsing random ones because I'm picking up the RoK box at bestbuy or something this week. I've been reading around online about the status of EQ2 and I'm convinced that it will be worth my money once again and satisfy my MMO urges. I haven't played since EQ2 launched, back then, and being an EQ1 vet I got bored or disappointed. So basically I'm really interested in joining a community or at least having some people to talk to and, ideally group with.

In other words, I just wanna know if theres a server that a good amount of people from here play on and would be willing to talk/help out or group if they have an alt, or they themselves are low enough. I feel like I'll be somewhat overwhelmed having not played since before any expansions were released, but I'm excited to get back into it after so many years.

Red Gear on
    Gon_v3_cvr_300.jpg

BRAWL FC: 0516 6975 3419
    Pokeymanz FC:5327 6840 5195
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ^^^ i was the same way....longtime EQ1 vet, started EQ2 at launch and got bored/disappointed fairly quick....

i just came back and i'm not regretting it, i really like it so far

a lot of us are on Antonia Bayle...my highest on that server is at 31 right now but i do have some low characters i'd group with you on...umm...sadly we don't have a guild or anything and i've barely heard from anyone while on the server :(

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Would it be wise to join Antonia Bayle? From what I've been seeing it is a very crowded server, which is fine for me as long as they aren't any queues to log in or anything like that that would effect my playing.

Red Gear on
    Gon_v3_cvr_300.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2007
    yes it would be very wise, this means there are more people to group with...never had any issues with logging in, it's not THAT full i don't think

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Antonia Bayle is an awesome server but has had some pretty bad stability problems recently because of its popularity. That should subside as the expansion fever dies down though.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also, I've seen a few complaints here and there about lack of grouping in regards to the RoK expansion. Although everywhere I've looked the timorous deep newbie zone has been called "the best", I have heard things that imply that this new content focuses more on solo leveling/questing rather than group content. Should I expect a decent amount of grouping once I get in my 20s or so?

Red Gear on
    Gon_v3_cvr_300.jpg

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmmm any suggestions on a good solo/quest area for a 30 Paly???

Docken on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Red Gear wrote: »
    Also, I've seen a few complaints here and there about lack of grouping in regards to the RoK expansion. Although everywhere I've looked the timorous deep newbie zone has been called "the best", I have heard things that imply that this new content focuses more on solo leveling/questing rather than group content. Should I expect a decent amount of grouping once I get in my 20s or so?

Yes, there are group dungeons pretty much the entire way from 20-80. In the 20s you can head to either Blackburrow or Stormhold on the good side, Wailing Caves or Fallen Gate on the evil side.

As for the other question, at level 30 there are huge solo quest lines in Zek and Enchanted Lands, plus a bunch of quests in Butcherblock.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Butcherblock got me through my 20s, mainly soloing except once in awhile i'd group with people in FG, SH, or RoV....right now i'm 31 and I still have stuff I can do in BB to finish up quest lines, and then I think I'll hit up Zek...I'm not against soloing at all so it's nice to be able to solo when I don't have time for a group

also...anybody have experience harvesting? Is BB just terrible for harvesting T3 roots or are T3 roots basically nonexistent elsewhere too? ha...when I get home I'm probably gonna check out the thundering steps in hopes that I have better luck root harvesting..I refuse to pay over 20s per freaking root!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I didn't realize that keeping your harvesting skills up was important..
    Now I'm moving on to T3 stuff and I'm not able to even harvest T2 wood/trap/fish.
    I assumed having 60 skill would be enough for T2.. ah well.

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yes, gotta be 90 for T3 stuff, it's important if you're crafting so you don't have to buy stuff at crazy high prices

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    oh wait.. 1-9 mats are T0?..

Whatever.. I've just hit 30 and I can't even harvest the wood/traps/fish in Nektulos forest.

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    BEAST! wrote: »
    also...anybody have experience harvesting? Is BB just terrible for harvesting T3 roots or are T3 roots basically nonexistent elsewhere too? ha...when I get home I'm probably gonna check out the thundering steps in hopes that I have better luck root harvesting..I refuse to pay over 20s per freaking root!!!

You have to find the right area for harvesting. There are certain locations in the zones that seem from my experience to have more nodes (of anything) and thus better harvesting. In TS, try around the fields where the griffons spawn. In BBM... well I can't think of any place specific right now, but I remember harvesting a fair bit of non-rock stuff in the area past the path up from the dock. The mob spawns are tighter together overall in BBM, though, so it's a bit more work.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    stryker116 wrote: »

Yes, there are group dungeons pretty much the entire way from 20-80. In the 20s you can head to either Blackburrow or Stormhold on the good side, Wailing Caves or Fallen Gate on the evil side.

As for the other question, at level 30 there are huge solo quest lines in Zek and Enchanted Lands, plus a bunch of quests in Butcherblock.

Please elaborate on the bolded! I haven't played for years and my old char is 29... so this quest sounds like a great intro back into EQII!

Docken on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Docken wrote: »
    stryker116 wrote: »

Please elaborate on the bolded! I haven't played for years and my old char is 29... so this quest sounds like a great intro back into EQII!

When you step off the docks in both Zek and Enchanted Lands, you'll see plenty of quest givers around, and they all start different quest lines. Something they added a while ago that you may not have seen is that quest givers are identified on your map and with an icon above their head (a la WoW), so it's easy to see who's giving out quests.

As far as Butcherblock goes, you can take the boat there from Nek Forest or Thundering Steppes, and there's some good quests on the docks there as well.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wouldn't actually recommend Antonia Bayle, because I have had problems logging in and zoning on it. They're infrequent but they happen, especially on weekends. It's frustrating to sit down to play some EVAAAQWEST!!! with my gf and not be able to because we rarely have time as it is. So we are switching servers.
    Anyone know a decent server?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yeah it's actually down right now..bah!!!!

i have a 32 necro on everfrost.....i have no idea how stable it is these days though because i have only played him a couple times since i've been back

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The majority of people who play the game these days solo most of the way up to max level. There's plenty of opportunity to group, but you'll want to do every solo quest you can find so that you're increasing your AA points steadily along with your XP. I've been playing the game pretty much since launch and have a level 79wizard, 70 templar, and 70 monk, and thats generally how I do it.

Here's a general guideline of which zones to level in as you advance:
    1-10 in noob zones around the city you start in
    10-20 in timorous deep or neriak (best quest progression locations)
    20-30 in Thundering steps/Nektolus/Butcherblock
    30-40 Enchanted lands/Zek <= not many good quests in this range, joining a runnyeye group helps
    40-50 Steamfont! Also Everfrost/Lavastorm, but those zones have bad quest progression
    50-60 Sinking sands(may want to start at 45 actually), also start into lesser faydark
    60-70 Lesser fay cleanup, anything in the overrealm(KoS expansion), and Loping plains areas
    70-80 Simply doing the solo quests in Kylong/Kunzar/Fens/Jarsath will get you to around 78. Then group

Thats just quickly off the top of my head, but thats generally how I go about leveling. Put up your LFG tag while you're doing those solo quests to try and find a dungeon group to break the monotany. BE PICKY THOUGH. Seriously, a bad group will cost you time that could be better spent questing.

I'm really liking the new expansion. The mage loot is a big step in the right direction. My spell crit chance was hovering around 10% during the EoF days, and simply from the quested items in t8 I'm now around 24% chance to crit. The raid gear in the expansion is averaging between 4-7% chance per armor slot. I haven't had enough DKP to bid on any of that yet(just switched to a more hardcore raiding guild), but im salivating at the thought of putting my spell crits over 50% :P

So, ya...
    Yay eq2!

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait, so soling provides more rewards than grouping? If so what a turn off.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Wait, so soling provides more rewards than grouping? If so what a turn off.

That depends on what you mean by rewards. Solo questing is usually one of the fastest ways to level, although in certain level ranges you'll definitely need to dungeon crawl with a group if you want to progress somewhat quickly.

However, for the best items and such you'll need to run through instances and open dungeons, and while it was possible to do some of these solo before with certain classes and skill, Kunark instances will melt your face off solo.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I found that grouping in the instances in kunark was way faster than leveling off of solo quests. However those same quests in a group were the fastest exp.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ok guys, so I am back in AB, rolling around Splitpaw atm at level 30, trying to up my level.

I am currently pimping the SBH, but will start the Ghoulbane quest as soon as I am done with Splitpaw (if nothing else than for nostalgia!).

The question is... where can I get a decent shield that doesn't require a huge amount of group work??? It's been a while so I have forgotten all the various shields and their stats...

Any help would be appreciated!

Docken on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The big shield I remember in that level range was the Shiny Brass Shield heritage. It will require some groupwork, but no more than the Ghoulbane :P

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Leveling up the master crafted armors and items are good enough till you can quest one out from the EoF content. At least till Tier 6 [Desert of Flames]. At that point the quests and instances should have good loots for you to hunt. Scornfeathers Roost, Poets Palace, the 101 quests in Lesser faydark.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is it me, or is the patcher for this game the worst one ever seen? It's been stuck at 12 hours left for... well, for about 12 hours now, and no amount of restarting it or fiddling with ports is helping.

I just wanna try the gaaame :x

Ledneh on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    no, seriously

this patcher sucks

Ledneh on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok well I'm playing this now I'm a Barbarian cleric, who do I gave a showout to to meet up and play with you folks

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was exping in Sinking Sands last night with my 44 druid, getting the last aa to complete this tentative "good enough until I have another 6 aa and then I'll have an even better one in mind" aa plan of mine, and I spot a 50 scout scoping me out.
    I have a great computer so I can see for miles, I'm pretty sure I saw him before he saw me.
    Anyway, I lead him into an area with no possible adds, acting all scared, then kill him. He takes me to half at one point I think, but I recover because I am a druid.

About 30 seconds after that I get a tell warning my poor 44 ass that there is a "50 frp in the area, be careful".

I agonised on how to respond. The range of available witty replies was quite delicious.

Counterpoint to that, I went into runnyeye to see why this other 44 I know is always there pvping and come across a 32 party. Has tank, healer, mage, scout. They attacked me.
    I couldn't kill them. They couldn't kill me. They came close, through sheer attrition, and I couldn't attack anyone but the tank. My whole screen was filled with "You are currently restricted from attacking another target".
    Possibly the most infuriating pvp fight I've ever come across. I grew tired of it after about five minutes and ran through some grey heroics so they wouldn't follow.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Just dropping in again to say that my char is a 35 Paly named Kordin Tor on AB.

Feel free to friend me.... more than happy to be another body in a group if need be!

Docken on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    at the moment i've got a 38 Fury named Ofoc on AB.....friend me, always nice to have other people to play with, although tonight will be the last i play for 2 weeks because i'm heading across the country for the holidays and won't have access to the game from there

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ranger on AB - Wyldkeel.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I picked up the expansion and was going to make a newbie Sarnak on Unrest if anyone was going to do so as well.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This game worth getting?

Are the graphics good (sounds silly, but I want to see the pretties)?

Are the patches fucking huge?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This game worth getting?

Yes. Depends on your own personal taste. Depends on how big of an update it is. Also define "fucking huge."

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    KingMole wrote: »
    This game worth getting?

Yes. Depends on your own personal taste. Depends on how big of an update it is. Also define "fucking huge."

Like 500mb

I have a 2gb DL cap.

Maybe, but first I wanna get onto a decent Internet plan, 2gb cap plus a 600 ping in Crysis aint fun.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Reactivated my account and have a couple of low levels around AB, Typhun (conjuror) and Freiyja (Bruiser)

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    KingMole wrote: »
    This game worth getting?

Like 500mb

I have a 2gb DL cap.

Maybe, but first I wanna get onto a decent Internet plan, 2gb cap plus a 600 ping in Crysis aint fun.

Well, then. That's.... not very good for MMOs in general.

I also not sure on the download size for most patches, as everything goes through the EQ2 launcher, so you never really see the size of the patches, just what files you are downloading/fixing.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Cool.

Maybe dudes, maybe.

I have a friend who plays WoW with an 800 ping, so I can discount it.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So my guild is now farming Illidan in WoW and I'm getting a little bored and looking for something to play on the side. I played LOTRO for around 2 months when it came out and it wasn't bad -- the world is very immersive and the storyline quests are great, but I found the group combat rather uninspired and didn't get a good feel for each class being unique and offering a whole lot. (L35 Champion when I finished)

Would you guys recommend trying EQ2? Or is this game even more dead than EQ1? They pulled the AA system into EQ2 like EQ1 has it sounds like... Is there still decent PUG group action to level up and activity on the servers? Vanguard I also here is basically deserted so I don't feel like attempting that one yet either. (God knows when WAR comes out...)

They gave me like a free week or two activating my old EQ1 account that I have a L65 Rogue on there, but I just get the feeling that I should let the corpse lay. My equipment is totally outmoded and with inflation I can't afford to replace any of it, and it seems the servers are largely deserted if you aren't in your own guild raiding. (Hard to find pug groups it seems)

JediNight on