As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Splinter Cell CONVICTION - Insurgency Map Pack (800 MSP) 4 new Deniable Ops Maps!

1131415161719»

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just picked this up yesterday and powered through it in short order. Splinter Cell games are usually one-off titles that I enjoy but never come back to once I'm done, and I don't think Conviction changes that. I'll give co-op a try somewhere down the line, but that's about it.

Most of my comments mirror those already said here, I'll simply state that I didn't mind the change in controls, but did miss the old gear. Given the choice, I never went without a silenced weapon where stealth mattered at all, and I wound up spamming the hell out of remote mines; the rest of the equipment just seemed largely pointless. I did, however, appreciate the ability to just fight my way out of a jam if sneaking around didn't go as planned (which it usually didn't).

I also miss Sam having a sense of humor, but given the circumstances I guess there wasn't much hope of that.

That said, there is one thing about the plot that bugs me. Well, several things, but this one stands out. During the reservoir mission,
    it's stated repeatedly that the generators have to be taken out simultaneously, and yet Vic just blows the one up at the end. Does he axe the other one off-camera, or was I just missing something? Still scratching my head over that.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CJTheran wrote:
    If its DRM causes my computer to grow flaming legs and kick me in the dick, I'ma come lookin' fer YOU.

For all the drama around Ubisoft's DRM method, I honestly haven't had any serious issues with it yet. I did have one hiccup once, when the game paused due to loss of connection with the ubisoft server, but it fixed itself after about 3 minutes or so. That's litterally the only problem I've had so far.

Plus I do like the fact that I don't need the disc in the drive to play. A small benefit, but kinda nice nonetheless. I'm not saying that a different DRM method wouldn't have been better, just that it's not as horrible as alot of folks make it out to be. I certainly prefer it to ye olde starforce DRM from back in the day.

As far as technical performance goes, it's fairly smooth and the controls are customizable and relatively instinctive. Overall, it's a huge improvement in terms of performance compared to the steaming turd that was Double Agent on the PC.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Third map is Portland, Washington...

Washington? o_O

Eh. What can I say, it's somewhere in the Northwest.

Maine.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well thanks to the Steam sale, I picked this up. I played the first several missions and can say I enjoy this visceral entry for a Splinter Cell game.

Hawk on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Washington? o_O

Maine.

I'm really really sorry.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Washington? o_O

Maine.

I'm really really sorry.

Portugal.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, one weekend solid playing this and I got to the mission where you crash in a helicopter. Then I stopped playing because I got Red Dead. How far am I from the end?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Man, one weekend solid playing this and I got to the mission where you crash in a helicopter. Then I stopped playing because I got Red Dead. How far am I from the end?

Not far. Last level, even. Might want to spoiler tag that... but I don't know if anyone really cares that much. I really liked the last level, but some others take issue with just how many damn enemies are sent at you. I really think you should finish it off, I really liked the ending.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For those of you who are interested, you can get the collectors edition for xbox360 for like 34$

http://www.findmyorder.com/store/ubina/en_US/pd/productID.187717400/Tom_Clancys_Splinter_Cell_Conviction_Collectors_Edition.html

Findmyorder.com is UBISoft's own store.

You can also enter the code 10THANKS to get 10% more off, and free 2nd day shipping.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So yeah, I finished it. Got to say, it didn't dethrone Chaos Theory, but it was still a good game. The last level is what the whole game should have been like - they increased your lethality, but didn't give you many enemies to use it against. I hope the sequel is more like the last level, so many enemies to take out. The ending was pretty disappointing though.
    Reed goes into that whole diatribe that's meant to be revelatory, but it's all stuff you already knew or guessed. It was pretty underwhelming.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just got this game and I had a few questions with the coop. I was trying to invite my friend to a denialable ops game and it wouldn't let me? Can I only do coop gameplay in the "Coop & Multiplayer" menu selection?

If I can click the "Deniable Ops" on the menu and play coop with someone else, would there be a reason it wouldn't work? I know we both just got the game so i'm not sure if I have to unlock it via singleplayer. Thanks.

Tridus1x on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    I just got this game and I had a few questions with the coop. I was trying to invite my friend to a denialable ops game and it wouldn't let me? Can I only do coop gameplay in the "Coop & Multiplayer" menu selection?

If I can click the "Deniable Ops" on the menu and play coop with someone else, would there be a reason it wouldn't work? I know we both just got the game so i'm not sure if I have to unlock it via singleplayer. Thanks.

The Deniable Ops modes are in the multiplayer menu. It's everything except coop-story mode.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Quick question, I just got this and intend to play it through coop splitscreen. Can we play with two completely new gametags and unlock weapons as we play coop? Or do you need to unlock weapons through single player?

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vic_Hazard wrote:
    Quick question, I just got this and intend to play it through coop splitscreen. Can we play with two completely new gametags and unlock weapons as we play coop? Or do you need to unlock weapons through single player?

On the PC version I know weapons were unlockable for both players via co-op and/or multiplayer. That being said though, I'm not sure if the same is true for split screen on console or not.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vic_Hazard wrote:

On the PC version I know weapons were unlockable for both players via co-op and/or multiplayer. That being said though, I'm not sure if the same is true for split screen on console or not.

So we'll get a satisfactory amount of guns even if we never touched the singleplayer? Sounds kind of fun to have some coop progression.

Edit: Thanks by the way.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just finished the game, and I had a lot of fun, I really liked the NSA level. The last level was a blast as well but I was disappointed they they threw a couple of waves at you in some parts of the game. I like the direction they are going with the series gameplay wise.

Pat_McRoch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I liked the enemy wave sections if only because it broke up the gameplay a little. Instead of memorizing enemy routes and figuring out the best way to take them down, suddenly you were on the defensive. Sure, you could find somewhere to hide and take the guys down stealthily, but they were actively looking for you instead of just sticking to their path until you jammed your gun in their throat.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey, so. Does anyone have this for PC that wants to play >_>

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I FOUND IT!

After trying to figure out how to search this site forever, I found this thread.

I avoided Conviction for A LONG TIME. Because I had heard all over the internets that it wasn't very good. It was too action based. It wasn't stealth. It wasn't SPLINTER CELL.

Splinter Cell #1 was my first launch day purchase of a video game ever. Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer dominated my XBox for years. Chaos Theory (Limited Edition) was the first game I ever pre-ordered, directly from UbiSoft. I had just gotten a new job when Double Agent came out, so I bought it much later - but liked it.

So this Christmas I got my brother Conviction, and myself Conviction, on sale. I figured even if it was as bad as I had read, we could play online together and it would be fun. It sat on the shelf, unplayed, until last week. My brother started it 2 weeks earlier, and one day said to me "When you get around to it, just start on realistic. I played half the game on normal, and it was too easy, so I restarted and now its awesome."

So I beat it last night, on realistic.

Holy shit I love this game. I LOVED this game. The story - for someone who is obsessed with continuity, was gripping and great. While the twists were kind of predicatble, they were still satisfying as hell.

And more importantly, it set itself up PERFECTLY for a "reboot" without it actually needing to be a reboot.
    I'm assuming Grim now takes over Third Eschelon (In Tom Clancy's EndWar, set in 2020, she is the leader of Third Eschelon...), and you could either bring it back to old school Splinter Cell, with her working with Sam - or you could move Sam into the handler role, Grim being the new Lambert, and introduce a new agent to pass the torch to.

I just wanted to find this thread so I have a place to rave while it's still fresh in my mind - this game, on realistic, was great.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I FOUND IT!

After trying to figure out how to search this site forever, I found this thread.

It was hiding in the shadows.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A friend of mine finally picked this up, and wants me to help him do Co-Op, which is awesome, because I've been itching to play this game again for a long time. I know statements like this catch a lot of flak, but I honestly think Conviction's my favorite entry in the Splinter Cell series. It's just so goddamn good.

It's been probably a year since I picked this game up last, but it took all of about 15 minutes to get totally back into the groove. To prepare myself for doing Co-Op again, I did advanced stealth through Kobin's Mansion on Realistic; it took me like three tries to remember everything you had to do (that last room's a bitch to do without being seen, lol).

I love this game.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quick question, is the (non-stealth) shooting any good? Everywhere I look, I see options like armor upgrades, assault rifles, grenades etc. and I imagine picking three armor upgrades, an assault rifle with a scope, grenades and then just tearing places apart - which would be a welcome variety since past games always gave you stuff like that but it was worthless. So, can you actually just shoot your way through this time around?

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah you can but its pretty difficult. In a straight up gunfight, Sam can't take much damage.

Karl on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No. You can try, but don't expect to live long.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Quick question, is the (non-stealth) shooting any good? Everywhere I look, I see options like armor upgrades, assault rifles, grenades etc. and I imagine picking three armor upgrades, an assault rifle with a scope, grenades and then just tearing places apart - which would be a welcome variety since past games always gave you stuff like that but it was worthless. So, can you actually just shoot your way through this time around?

You know, Gears of War and Call of Duty and Halo Reach are on sale. Those games are pretty good, you might like what they have to offer.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You know, Gears of War and Call of Duty and Halo Reach are on sale. Those games are pretty good, you might like what they have to offer.

I can't tell wether you're being serious or not. I have to go with the former since you're also implying that I'm a Xbox gamer. I was just asking wether that approach was possible or not, that's not even a selling point. You know, I didn't play any of the Splinter Cell games because I'm really a shooter-fan that just wants to torture himself.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I can't tell wether you're being serious or not. I have to go with the former since you're also implying that I'm a Xbox gamer. I was just asking wether that approach was possible or not, that's not even a selling point. You know, I didn't play any of the Splinter Cell games because I'm really a shooter-fan that just wants to torture himself.

Purely shooting, is very doable. I mean, there's a whole mission where you can't even sneak at all, and are forced to run and gun.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That doesn't mean it's a good idea for the rest of the game.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    True, but its still doable if thats how you want to play it.

Edit: Just not on the harder difficulty.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My brother had to abort his playthrough of the deniable ops maps with his old college roommate because the other guy's idea of "stealthy" was to spray'n'pray with an MP5SD3 opposed to the AKS-74U he typically relied upon. Don't get me wrong, that sort of style can be fun with co-op (particularly for co-op because there's someone to revive you when you fuck up). But you're only experiencing about 20% of the game that way.

SammyF on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I re-bought this a little while ago too. I love it.

I'm proud to say I went through all the Hunter Deniable Ops maps on realistic no weapons/no gadgets, only hand to hand takedowns. If I got spotted or they called in reinforcements, I'd start over.

The one part on the Russian Embassy where 4-5 guys are behind a door in a big well lit room made me want to pull my hair out.

But doing it this way made it feel like the SC's of Ye Olde Timey Dayes.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still haven't gotten a chance to try the DLC (got it back when it was on sale in December).

DarkPrimus on