As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting a work visa in Canada!

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So guys, i'm a bit stumped as to everything that I need to apply for a work visa up here!

Well actually I know a little bit, but it's not much! I know that I need a company to hire me and write a letter/document that states that they're interested in hiring me, but beyond that I got nothing. Fortunately I have a friend who's the owner of a store up here who'd be willing to do whatever he can to help me out, I just need to know what I need to get together to make it happen.

Currently i'm a student up here, but my school is a private institution and not recognized by the Canadian government, so no student work visa for me!

I already checked the website and found the work visa that i'm looking for, but it's a bit tough for a guy like me to muddle through on my own, and it would help if someone would explain the stipulations in plain english.

Can anyone help me with this?

Godfather on

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not recognized by the Canadian government? What the silly goose?

John Matrix on
  • Options
    RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It must be DeVry

Rderdall on
    steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So you're an American studying in Canada?

If it's anything like the US immigration/work visa, this will be quite an ordeal. In the US, your company sponsors your visa, that is to say that they pay for it, provide paperwork of your employment, etc. Long and pretty expensive process.

If it's anything like the US system, knowing a guy who owns a store might not be enough here.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I just got my temporary work visa for Canada about six months ago.

It's true that you need someone showing that they are ready to hire you, but it takes a lot more than that. My company had to show that they had done rounds of interviews and couldn't find anyone qualified in Canada.

It's not very expensive. I had a legal firm put together my paperwork, but I think the government just collected a $130 application fee.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    I just got my temporary work visa for Canada about six months ago.

It's true that you need someone showing that they are ready to hire you, but it takes a lot more than that. My company had to show that they had done rounds of interviews and couldn't find anyone qualified in Canada.

It's not very expensive. I had a legal firm put together my paperwork, but I think the government just collected a $130 application fee.

Same as in the US, my dad's company had to post the position online and in papers, etc.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure where you got the "expensive" part from, because the most it will cost is $150 for me to send it in. It's the rest that i'm unsure of.

I read the paperwork, it's just confusing because of the way they phrase certain passages. Can't make sense heads or tails of it.

Godfather on