As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I rock my 200mm to compensate for the [PHOTO]

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    God daaaamn the colors in the second photo are amazing.

Peeeerrrrttttyyyy.
    I would be more of a color whore and pump up the greens in the trees and the blue in the sky.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's almost worth moving to Utah.

When I get home I want to go through my old fall colors photos and mess with them. The saturation was pretty poor and I think I could coax out more colors.

Or I may end up oversaturating everything and it'll look terrible :P

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Colorado* has pretty things without overbearing religion and ridiculous laws pertaining to alcohol. I really should go take some pictures of the Aspens changing color but I've been so friken lazy recently.

Except Colorado Springs, but we don't talk about them.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alright, I know equipment doesn't make better shots, but I'm really excited about the Sigma 8-16mm ultrawide I received just this week for my upcoming 3 week trip to Australia. *glee*

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One of the ear things on my expensive cushy over-ear headphones broke today, rendering them useless and painful. The bright side is I will make a photo of them bleeding like, tape film from where it broke or something

Saint on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Moab is basically in Colorado. Every damn person from Colorado visits here on the weekends. Utah is a place to visit for sure. Living here is...meh.

From the past couple days of work. Spring Canyon:
    5080081712_fb8b01f455_z.jpg
    Crystal Geyser travertine deposits:
    5082811550_53b1cdd2bc_z.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    CecilsanCecilsan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd like to start a website to display my photography. Anyone have any recommendations on hosting? It's been a long time since I've done any HTML or web work so easier is definitely better

Cecilsan on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cecilsan wrote: »
    I'd like to start a website to display my photography. Anyone have any recommendations on hosting? It's been a long time since I've done any HTML or web work so easier is definitely better
    If you're not into web design, I'd save myself a headache and just use Flickr or something similar, were I you. Or maybe a Blogspot site which ties in with Flickr. Easy, free.

gilrain on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I use Pixelpost on eggytoast.com. I used to code crap that was less useful myself and just don't feel like spending the time on it. I'd rather take pictures. So yeah, pixelpost if you want to host it yourself, or Flickr if you don't. There's advantages to both, although Flickr is pretty nice (and cheaper).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I took my Canon EOS 500d on holiday and we had a lot of fun. It was my first attempt at pretty pictures in quite a while and I'm curious to see what you guys think of these. I've only done some minimal photoshopping with contrast and brightness.

5087028842_0c52e1f576_z.jpg
    botanical garden 1 by helloIamAldo, on Flickr

5086431709_d66631429e_z.jpg
    botanical garden 2 by helloIamAldo, on Flickr

5086429855_90fc7b9353_z.jpg
    botanical garden 3 by helloIamAldo, on Flickr

5087023980_267739c6d3_z.jpg
    botanical garden 4 by helloIamAldo, on Flickr

5086426119_490e6e2ef6_z.jpg
    botanical garden 5 by helloIamAldo, on Flickr

5086424515_0d70182f23_z.jpg
    lunchbreak shakespeare 1 by helloIamAldo, on Flickr

Aldo on
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, I now has a camera so here's hoping I like photography :D

Managed to persuade my Mum to loan me her second camera before I go spending lots of money. Turns out it isn't an SLR but is defintely more than a compact. A Sony Cybershot DSC-H9 to be exact.

Had a little fiddle with some of the setting and if it's nice tomorrow I will go for a wander and take some photos. I know it won't do quite as much as an SLR but it's got to be better than my Olympus P&S right?

One thing I have noticed is adjusting the manual focus is a bit fiddly (buttons rather than ring) but should be ok for non-action shots at least.

Ashaman42 on
  • Options
    MuncieMuncie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aldo:

Good macro shots of flowers, in my opinion, need to be tack sharp to keep from being boring. The focus on the flowers is kinda muddy and the colors are a bit muted. The only way to make a cliche subject interesting is with a higher-than-normal technical or artistic prowess.

You should work on getting more comfortable with mixing up your composition, rule of thirds and all is a good place to start. Everything here is smack-dab in the middle of the frame. The photo of the bird would be more interesting and dynamic if he were on the right side of the frame. The businessmen photo is my favorite of these but I feel like it could use more negative space for the argument to exist in, or some place for Riker to go as he walks past Conan O'Brien.

Muncie on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Muncie wrote: »
    Aldo:

Good macro shots of flowers, in my opinion, need to be tack sharp to keep from being boring. The focus on the flowers is kinda muddy and the colors are a bit muted. The only way to make a cliche subject interesting is with a higher-than-normal technical or artistic prowess.

You should work on getting more comfortable with mixing up your composition, rule of thirds and all is a good place to start. Everything here is smack-dab in the middle of the frame. The photo of the bird would be more interesting and dynamic if he were on the right side of the frame. The businessmen photo is my favorite of these but I feel like it could use more negative space for the argument to exist in, or some place for Riker to go as he walks past Conan O'Brien.
    Thanks. Unfortunately that's the only picture I have of those two, should have taken more pictures of them.

Re: bird, I have more of it, I'll see if there's more dynamic ones. I was already glad it faced in my direction. I also have a sharp one of that white flower, but I found the blurriness kind of funny. I'll probably post a few more in a few days when I ponder more on it.

Aldo on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did a short wander around downtown yesterday.

5091050596_45d4907d76.jpg

5091050410_7b358aeb80.jpg

5091050688_a568016d9e.jpg

5090453237_7b12411502.jpg

And my doggy was posing for me :)

5090452707_d0e845e73b.jpg

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is...is that a steam clock?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Is...is that a steam clock?

It is. I should dig up this amazing shot of it my friend took during the olympics. The guy is a great inspiration for photos.

Weretaco on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Please do. I'm interested in seeing what people do with things that get photographed hundreds of times a day.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bamn

4381943224_8c3b9b797c.jpg
    Gastown Steam Clock by caseyyee, on Flickr

Weretaco on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That is sooooo steam-punk. I love it.

On an off-topic note: Everyone living in the US should go early vote or turn in your mail in ballot STAT. 8-)

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is sooooo steam-punk. I love it.

On an off-topic note: Everyone living in the US should go early vote or turn in your mail in ballot STAT. 8-)

orbthing.jpg

pushpin.jpg

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Some shots from Capilano
    5094013799_a95db3860a.jpg

5094613322_dc0edc4f6e.jpg

5094013663_f5bfbc17c3.jpg

5094013601_2f54e11e07.jpg

5094613148_036c104601.jpg

Weretaco on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Weretaco, I think that last one has to be rotated 1 or 2 degrees counterclockwise, the horizon looks tilted. Or maybe it's a trick on the eyes... there's something off about it, though. Maybe try cutting off the top 20% so that it only focuses on the waterfall, it'd be a bit more abstract, but maybe that'd work out.

I like the 2nd one, it's scary. :)

Aldo on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Felt kinda bad for not taking any shots while out today, so I took some when I got home.

They're the newest basketball shots in my flickr (sig)

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Weretaco, I think that last one has to be rotated 1 or 2 degrees counterclockwise, the horizon looks tilted. Or maybe it's a trick on the eyes... there's something off about it, though. Maybe try cutting off the top 20% so that it only focuses on the waterfall, it'd be a bit more abstract, but maybe that'd work out.

I like the 2nd one, it's scary. :)

5098351947_3f31af0282.jpg

Took your suggestion and rotated CCW to better line up that top left section which should be flat. Think it's better now.

Weretaco on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Yeah that's much better. The crops could be straightened on those ones looking down at the dam. The second shot is awesome (I need to go there some time).

Also this is a dump of older stuff I like but never put online and/or uploaded to Flickr.

5099130202_e96203fac3_z.jpg

5099130062_2820f73285_z.jpg

5098528653_132c3dc0f8_z.jpg

5098528615_2ec2e1d9c6_z.jpg

5099129816_4710634a9a_z.jpg

5099129632_82f6b5cc5e_z.jpg

5098528175_75717297dd_z.jpg

5098528017_fe70c544c9_z.jpg

5098527817_c97efe8d35_z.jpg

5099128970_857045ee55_z.jpg

5098527547_2e3660288f_z.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Saw Bill Clinton speak at an early vote rally for Senator Michael Bennet. I got to shake hands with him so now I must have magic political powers, or something. He was very good speaker as always and makes some pretty awesome facial expressions / gestures.

5098660388_e658a32687_o.jpg

5098665428_b094bea66f_o.jpg

5098660386_a04c3a242f_o.jpg

5098660392_492af220b1_o.jpg

5098665422_d7e7fbda30_o.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am looking for recommendations for a wireless flash trigger and receiver set.

Must work without a hot shoe on the camera. (my lens has a pc socket) I was looking at this, but it seems too cheap.

5092450710_8793628a72.jpg
    Raika by joshuanitschke, on Flickr

5091913117_07bf7e9057.jpg
    Raika by joshuanitschke, on Flickr

Virum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Virum wrote: »
    Must work without a hot shoe on the camera. (my lens has a pc socket)

Yeeaaaa....thats going to be hard to find. Most work off the hot shoe. I'm not even sure PWs do that.

That first photo is decent but i wish there was more of her face in it. The second one is rather bad due to over exposure and focal plane/narrow focus. Her right eye is severely out of focus. Maybe you should try something like high key or at the very least have both eyes mostly in focus.

P.S. Bombs you suck at talking in tf2. Mr. No Fun Pants

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think the one I linked to might work. It runs off a battery and it has a PC socket, so I don't see why it would need a hot shoe...

Virum on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bombs wrote:
    5098528615_2ec2e1d9c6_z.jpg

Was this the sound barrier breaking Bombs?

If so you get my special "Steely eye'd missile man" award. That's crazy.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Cactus V2 triggers I've been using have worked fine on my Hasselblad (leaf shutter like your Mamiya) and my Pentax (focal plane). Neither of which have hot shoes. The radio transmitter and receiver are both independently battery powered, though it's up to you to find a decent place to band them to your camera and light stand otherwise they're going to just dangle there by their connections.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My Mamiya has an accessory shoe, just lacks the hot. Thanks. :)

Virum on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How mission critical will these wireless triggers be? Are we talking "dicking around with friends" or "shooting a wedding"? If the former, the Cactus set will do. Be aware that they will not fire anywhere near 100% of the time and your effective range will be at best 20ft (only on full battery charge). If the latter, nothing less than RadioPoppers, PocketWizards or CyberSyncs (in order of descending preference) will do. There are really no other reliable options.

I've used two different sets of Cactus V2s and a set of Cactus V4s and ended up selling them all and replacing them with a set of Cameron triggers a friend gave me. After having the Camerons fail far too often I will be upgrading to RadioPoppers next time I have the capital and see a need for radio triggers in my near future.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, considering each picture is about a dollar with costs of developing and the film, I'd rather limit the number of fails as much as possible... Not shooting anything for money, just shooting to get experience with strobes and such. As a continuous lighting guy, I am trying to develop my eye for knowing how the lighting will look in my eye without relying on having to see it. I figure the best way to do this is to shoot more strobes. I am buying two more flashes and I would like to be able to trigger them all wirelessly so that I can be more creative in their placement.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dark Moon is absolutely correct. I've had trouble with them on some shoots where I could stop and adjust but I wouldn't trust them in critical situations.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    MuncieMuncie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Virium, my Elinchrom EL-Skyport transmitter has a hot shoe and a 2.5mm sync connection. I've shot them reliably at around 100 feet and haven't had an issue with them that wasn't related to the godawful hot shoe I have on my flashes and the bracket on the SB-900.

Some of the design elements drive me nuts. They have these flimsy looking (but they're actually pretty tough) aerials on them and the power button on the receiver has a bad tendency to get hit with a sharp air molecule and turn off every time you dick with the light stand, but otherwise I've been happy with them. Might be worth looking into.

Muncie on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    How mission critical will these wireless triggers be? Are we talking "dicking around with friends" or "shooting a wedding"? If the former, the Cactus set will do. Be aware that they will not fire anywhere near 100% of the time and your effective range will be at best 20ft (only on full battery charge). If the latter, nothing less than RadioPoppers, PocketWizards or CyberSyncs (in order of descending preference) will do. There are really no other reliable options.

I've used two different sets of Cactus V2s and a set of Cactus V4s and ended up selling them all and replacing them with a set of Cameron triggers a friend gave me. After having the Camerons fail far too often I will be upgrading to RadioPoppers next time I have the capital and see a need for radio triggers in my near future.

Have you used RadioPoppers? I gave up on my cactus set since they started firing less than 75% of the time. The RadioPoppers look great since you can apparently adjust levels on AlienBees with them. I'd like to know how well that works since adjusting levels on my AB's when they're 12 feet in the air on the end of a boom becomes a bit challenging.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Virum wrote: »
    I think the one I linked to might work. It runs off a battery and it has a PC socket, so I don't see why it would need a hot shoe...

Ah sorry I didn't read that section. It just looked like all the other transmitter's i've seen that sit on the hot shoe and get its signal from that.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bombardier wrote: »
    5099130202_e96203fac3_z.jpg

This is such a nice shot

Kochikens on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tried making a new shooting surface this week. Bought some MDF and spray paint. I'm happy with the color consistency but there's a little too much texture for close-up work. Might have to try sanding after painting the wood or just use these for distant backgrounds.

orange1.jpg

orange2.jpg

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
This discussion has been closed.