As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I rock my 200mm to compensate for the [PHOTO]

• SaintElmosWireSaintElmosWire Registered User regular
    @Uncle_Balsamic Ah balls, yes it's from the mirror isn't it. For some reason I always mix up the visuals from that with the weeping meadow even though they aren't at all similar. It's been quite a few years xD

That rafters photo is wonderful, and I actually like the "kind of bad" building shot. The symmetry works well with the harsh lines of the architecture.

MvViV.jpg
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    The kind of bad building shot has grown on me if I'm honest. I'm still sure there was a better way I could have done it though.

2LmjIWB.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    The trumpet (cornet?) shot is my favorite of the bunch, Balsamic. The composition is a little off for me--it's very bottom heavy, content and darkness-wise--but I really like the way you've made the metal look with texture and contrast.

edited February 2012
    Uncle B, if there's one thing I've noticed about your photos - it's that you do a great job at really capturing lines. I'm trying to think of a better way of saying that, but I haven't had my coffee yet this morning. I'll try to explicate later.

Thanks. It'll be cool to hear what you think; I want to take anything that's good from my photos and make it better.
    wonderpug wrote: »
    The trumpet (cornet?) shot is my favorite of the bunch, Balsamic. The composition is a little off for me--it's very bottom heavy, content and darkness-wise--but I really like the way you've made the metal look with texture and contrast.

I'll play around with the composition and see what it looks like. Cheers.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    But is it a trumpet or a cornet?! Curiosity is getting to me!

edited February 2012
    Haha. It's a trumpet: a Yamaha YTR4335G, if I recall.

Wish I still had my cornet to photograph; that thing was lovely.

Edit: A colour photo of a valve. I still don't know how to approach colour at all, so advice, please.

6926357419_b895d770c8_z.jpg

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
    Played with the other photo. Is this a bit better?

6780332748_6bf6647b12_z.jpg

2LmjIWB.png
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Haha. It's a trumpet: a Yamaha YTR4335G, if I recall.

Wish I still had my cornet to photograph; that thing was lovely.

aaaaaaugh I miss my horns.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • chidonachidona Registered User regular
    Played with the other photo. Is this a bit better?

I really like this one, but I'm not entirely sure what the vacant top half adds to the shot. Echoing the comments earlier about really liking the texture and 'metal-ness' of the trumpet though =]

I haven't been posting on here that much recently, but am still shooting away! Here's a couple of recent shots, I really feel like I'm improving. Long way to go though!

6680053833_60cc0c1dd0_z.jpg
    DSC00923-1 by chidona, on Flickr

6680058915_a54553cd29_z.jpg
    DSC00996-1 by chidona, on Flickr

6823114971_298b92e794_z.jpg
    DSC01050.jpg by chidona, on Flickr

6823120203_c031b9192f_z.jpg
    DSC01089.jpg by chidona, on Flickr

6823126477_5065b57a4d_z.jpg
    DSC01213.jpg by chidona, on Flickr

6858052727_402fb87565_z.jpg
    DSC01326.jpg by chidona, on Flickr

6858059957_5abf4ca893_z.jpg
    DSC01401.jpg by chidona, on Flickr

6902546429_56eda32373_z.jpg
    DSC01434.jpg by chidona, on Flickr

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I mostly take shots you've all seen before and they looked better then, but here's one that is pretty specifically Dutch, so it might be interesting to someone who does not live in a dried up swamp.

6782986834_67dbe85569_b.jpg
    Ereprijshof [unedited] by helloIamAldo, on Flickr

I feel like the lighting is much too harsh on both the fruit pictures, chidona. I do love the architecture shots though.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So guys, I'd like to ask if you think refillable and third party inks are good ideas/sound investments. I happen to be the proud owner of an Epson 7600 Medium Format printer. Yeah it is a few year old and a new set of inks setting me back over $500. When I typed in the name into youtube though, I got a good dozen or so videos from various websites showing how to refill your own inks.

I'm still investing several hundred but it is easily half of what I was looking at. With the number of these videos like this, it makes me wonder if there are high quality third party ink sets out there or are these just a bunch of people peddling cheap ink to cash in.

• NicNic Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Now, I'm not a proper photographer by any means, but I do like to take pictures.
    When I can afford, I'll get an entry level DSLR because that's the cool thing to do these days.
    The ones I'm gonna share I took with my Handycam, which has a decent lens(for a consumer camcorder), etc.
    DSC01749.jpg
    DSC01573-1.jpg
    DSC00627.jpg
    DSC01544.jpg
    DSC01591.jpg
    DSC01777.jpg

EDIT: resized because they were huuuge.

Nic on
  • ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    This guy has some really amazing photos (and relayed some incredible stories). http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnade/

Mostly its on homelessness and addiction and I love the fact that he does not do the whole black and white super high contrast portraits that feel far to close to exploitation for my tastes.

Nic, that first one is actually pretty sharp and pretty nice. The others are more typical of folks starting out with a camera but stick with it or go on the hunt for some good bargain cameras and you can find yourself with a delightful, though expensive, hobby.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    So guys, I'd like to ask if you think refillable and third party inks are good ideas/sound investments. I happen to be the proud owner of an Epson 7600 Medium Format printer. Yeah it is a few year old and a new set of inks setting me back over $500. When I typed in the name into youtube though, I got a good dozen or so videos from various websites showing how to refill your own inks.

I'm still investing several hundred but it is easily half of what I was looking at. With the number of these videos like this, it makes me wonder if there are high quality third party ink sets out there or are these just a bunch of people peddling cheap ink to cash in.

Uh, no clue. Personally I would say use some online pro-lab, but I'm not sure that is much of an option since you already have an expensive printer. Any idea how many prints you might get out of a new set of inks or from refilling your inks? It might be worth your time to compare that to a pro-lab and see if the Epson is worth keeping.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited February 2012

Uh, no clue. Personally I would say use some online pro-lab, but I'm not sure that is much of an option since you already have an expensive printer. Any idea how many prints you might get out of a new set of inks or from refilling your inks? It might be worth your time to compare that to a pro-lab and see if the Epson is worth keeping.

Pro-lab?

I think what I will end up doing is ordering these sets of refillable inks and just well, going for it. The store has a 100% satisfaction policy and seeing as this is much more affordable ink, I can experiment with settings and getting the fucking printer set up properly will not cost me an arm and a leg.

For comparison, Epson charges around $630 for 110ml of 7 inks. InkOwl's refillable system costs $123 for the cartridges and $345 for 500ml of 7 inks. Mind you, both are pigment based inks. Still a big investment on either side, but at least with InkOwl.com, I get much more ink.

At the moment, I have two problems with the printer itself. 1, The inks I do have are very low and some of the nozzles are still clogged up. As per instructions, I am doing cleaning cycles to help break them up. There is trick to do with saturating a cloth with simple green and letting the nozzles rest atop of it and letting the ammonia break things up. 2, there are no Windows 7 drivers for the fucking thing, so I am going to have to have a laptop or something running Windows XP or Vista to act as translator.

InkOwl also has typical non-refillable cartridges. A full set of 220ml ink is just $320. Epson is $630 for 110ml.

Lucky Cynic on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    How is the color accuracy of these ink refills? I have a Canon Pro9000 and I'm sick of buying new cartridges every 30 prints or so.

XBL: heavenkils
    Pro-lab?

You know, a place that usually deals with high volume/low cost for professional photographers. Often times you find one online that are cheaper than local shops.

For example I use prodpi.com a few pages down in this document is their price list. For example they do 8x10s for $2.10
    16x20s for $14.50
    30x50s for $56.85

I glanced around at two other places I found randomly through google and they seem to have pretty competitive prices. So compare how much it costs for the paper and ink to do X number of prints and see if that is more or less than doing it through a online pro-lab.

So looking at this page http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductMediaSpec.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Overview&oid=-14742&category=Paper+&+Media
    I found a 36" x 100' roll of photo paper (which says it fits the 7900 instead of the 7600) for $195 which would give you twenty-four 36"x50" prints. Then figure out how many of those type of prints you can get out of the ink. If the refills have proper color reproduction and you can get more than 3 prints out of them then it seems like it would be a lot cheaper.

No no no, I am not going to let my prints go out to other shops. I've seen some real fucking butchered jobs at school and I've seen plenty of dented cardboard tubes to make me wonder about if it is all worth it. Besides, I like learning. Why would I want to outsource something so personal as finishing my photos and seeing a great print within minutes? Even if it was cheaper, the time waiting for prints to show up, potential headaches and making sure everything is 100% before I ship it to them would be a huge pain in the ass.

The 7900 is the newer machine and it can do 36" wide prints. The 7600 can only do 24" wide. I have a few rolls of paper that came with it, a few lusters, and one canvas. :3

Still, even a new roll of paper for the 7600, like a 24"x100' Epson Luster roll, it would only be like $85. If I do 6 prints from your Pro-lab, it would be $90. As far as ink costs go, Epson charges $630 for 7 110ml cartridges. InkOwl sells in bulk, but when broken down to 110ml, a full set of ink from them costs just under $100.

My biggest problem right now is finding a Windows XP or Vista system since Epson didn't make any fucking drivers for the 7600 (due to its age) on Windows 7.

*shrug* prodpi has been super consistent for me and I'm pretty anal about proper color reproduction.

I guess I've never thought of printing as a learning experience. BTW how much did the 7600 cost? Did you get it used?

edited March 2012
    I got it for free.

A family friend of ours has a photography studio which is in the process of closing up. It is tragic when he tells me he lost about $400,000 in the shop and hasn't set foot through the door in months, but I would understandably be mad and distant if I had that much riding on a dwindling business where people want pictures on facebook and not printed. From what he tells me, he didn't adapt to digital and differentiate himself. He also waited way too long to make any changes. He says that if I can make use of anything, he will just give it to me. What he is losing in just giving things away to me instead of selling them would be peanuts compared to what he has been bleeding over the years. It's a damn shame. If I was born 10 years ago, I would have interned with him and really done well at the shop. It's a damn shame, but this support is bigger than any bullshit scholarship.

The first list is the stuff I was able to manage to fit in a mini van, the rest will hopefully be mine in coming weeks or months as the operation comes to a close.
    • Epson 7600 24" Wide Format (UltraChrome K2 Printer) with the cart.
    • Various rolls of leftover papers including a seemingly unused roll of canvas. About 4 rolls in total.
    • Various random mat boards and foam core.
    • Nikon F4 (I think) 35mm camera with Tamron lens.
    • Canon 10D with stock lens.
    • Dry mount heat press which is the heaviest thing in the world.

• Epson R3880 17" Medium Format (UltraChrome K3) Printer.
    • More various rolls and sheets of paper.
    • More various random mat boards and foam core.
    • Custom and vintage Kodak-made furniture and shelving. Yes this is a real thing. I hope to salvage some of it as a single fucking photo frame was $3,000 and huge wall shelving unit was $25,000.
    • Various studio lights and light stands.
    • An even bigger dry mount heat press which is somehow even heavier than the last one.
    • Backgrounds.
    • Stacks of now defunct magazines.

Quite an amazing break. This is like frankly a lot to go through, some of the larger stuff, I have no idea how I am going to manage to get out. If I could, I'd take it all as I mostly need it all. This is someone 25 years down the line going, "Oh yeah, I was at your place at one point. Here, let's put you several years ahead of everyone else."

Lucky Cynic on
    edited March 2012
    Now the 7600 has it's issues.

- There are no Windows 7 drivers which is a problem for me. There are some reports of people using the Vista 64bit drivers and them miraculously working.
    - There is hardly any ink left in the machine itself as the cartridges are probably past their prime.
    - The nozzles were pretty badly blocked up. I've loosened up some of them, but the yellow one is hardly making any progress. The lack of available ink makes this issue worse.
    - The printer is fucking massive and I only have a PC available. No laptops so I'm going to have to wheel the fucking thing around.

All it truly needs is something to run the drivers and a thorough cleaning. A couple hundred dollars of ink later, I should be a printing maniac.

I must admit, I am very much into the entirety of Photography. Preparing for shoots, choosing cameras and lenses, shooting pictures, processing them, printing, cutting mat boards and ultimately even framing and preserving them. Every step of the way, there is an opportunity to make something really stand out or improve or stylize something.

Cameras and pictures we know about. Processing too. But printing with different inks can help broaden the print's color gamut. Then there is fine art paper and canvas. Oh what's that? How cute, you sent in a picture to be printed on canvas. Yeah, I do my own.

Mat boards have their own traits. I have a bevel cutter and mat cutter and can do window mounts, double or even triple if I want to get stupid fancy. Then there is also texture and color. For a slightly blue toned image, I'd use an oh, so slightly blue-white mat board. With a gritty textured picture on matte, I'd use the textured side of board to really add to it where as glossy would get super smooth board.

Oh and frames? Why not, it is only fitting for the finest of hand crafted photos.

Lucky Cynic on
  • shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    Now the 7600 has it's issues.

- There are no Windows 7 drivers which is a problem for me. There are some reports of people using the Vista 64bit drivers and them miraculously working.
    - There is hardly any ink left in the machine itself as the cartridges are probably past their prime.
    - The nozzles were pretty badly blocked up. I've loosened up some of them, but the yellow one is hardly making any progress. The lack of available ink makes this issue worse.
    - The printer is fucking massive and I only have a PC available. No laptops so I'm going to have to wheel the fucking thing around.

All it truly needs is something to run the drivers and a thorough cleaning. A couple hundred dollars of ink later, I should be a printing maniac.

We have a canon ip3000 here (just for general printing, not for photo printing or anything), but it also doesn't have win7 x64 drivers. It works just fine on the xp x64 drivers. You just need to d/l the drivers, and unzip them to a location. When you install the printer, point it at the directory to find the drivers. Hopefully it works for you as well :/.

edited March 2012
    Oh what's that? How cute, you sent in a picture to be printed on canvas. Yeah, I do my own.

This is really coming off as condescending and arrogant.

CommunistCow on
    edited March 2012
    It is my unapologetic goal to drive a stake into the heart of irritating archetypes that photographers seem to cling to. The people circling my schools fit these so well.

There are different media types out there. Automatically printing on canvas doesn't make something more special. I hate it. I loathe how frivolous printing is these days to photographers. No! It isn't as simple as Glossy vs Matte. There are nuances and choosing the media you print your work on ought to belong in the decision making process that would be used to determine where to dodge and burn, what to expose for, etc. Being able to do this all in house and learn those nuances could be a huge advantage.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I get things printed on canvas sometimes because I like the boarderless look a gallery wrap provides, and think the texture is neat. Your high horse looks a little bit silly.

I use MPIX and I've almost never been dissatisfied, and whenever I was they've sent me reprints the same day for free. And it's not like they randomly reach into a bin and pull out a different style of paper for every photo...

More power to you for printing yourself, I haven't the time or the means to calibrate my own printer and deal with all the hassle that is, but looking down on people because of it makes you no better than the people who irritate you.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I bet you could emulate Xp on 7 with virtualbox or something.

edited March 2012
    Again, I enjoy learning and working with every little aspect of photography. I think of the photos I take as negatives that need developing and printing, much like film because that little 3 step program happens to really click. Some people don't care to learn to print. It simply doesn't interest them or they would rather focus on their ability to shoot.

I'm just saying, that is an opportunity to finish strong and I can't pass it up.

Lucky Cynic on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular

Pro-lab?

I think what I will end up doing is ordering these sets of refillable inks and just well, going for it. The store has a 100% satisfaction policy and seeing as this is much more affordable ink, I can experiment with settings and getting the fucking printer set up properly will not cost me an arm and a leg.

For comparison, Epson charges around $630 for 110ml of 7 inks. InkOwl's refillable system costs $123 for the cartridges and $345 for 500ml of 7 inks. Mind you, both are pigment based inks. Still a big investment on either side, but at least with InkOwl.com, I get much more ink.

At the moment, I have two problems with the printer itself. 1, The inks I do have are very low and some of the nozzles are still clogged up. As per instructions, I am doing cleaning cycles to help break them up. There is trick to do with saturating a cloth with simple green and letting the nozzles rest atop of it and letting the ammonia break things up. 2, there are no Windows 7 drivers for the fucking thing, so I am going to have to have a laptop or something running Windows XP or Vista to act as translator.

InkOwl also has typical non-refillable cartridges. A full set of 220ml ink is just $320. Epson is $630 for 110ml.

I would not be surprised if there's a Linux driver for it. It will probably be more reliable to do it that way in the long run since Linux printer drivers are often maintained by other users of the same printer, so you'll see improvements and bug fixes.

• Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    @Lucky Cynic It actually sounds more and more like you're just really into the gadgetry behind making a photo and a print, rather than the art of photography.

That's cool brah.

Has printing really become so disassociated with Photography?

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Eventually the creation and display of photos will be good enough for printing to become a niche. It's inevitable, in the same way horse-drawn carriages became a niche. I'm sure there are groups of buggy whip enthusiasts out there.

MKR on
    Messin' around.

6804348728_87d3fd78d6_o.jpg
    dark wood by jeff25rs, on Flickr

6804348720_3903fee857_o.jpg
    light wood color by jeff25rs, on Flickr

MKR wrote: »
    Eventually the creation and display of photos will be good enough for printing to become a niche. It's inevitable, in the same way horse-drawn carriages became a niche. I'm sure there are groups of buggy whip enthusiasts out there.

insert amish joke here

Molybdenum wrote: »

insert BDSM joke here

In all honesty, I don't think there will ever be a time when people will go "Oh, I want to see this famous artists's work, and then simply google his name and be satisfied with low rez, or even high rez pictures on their crappy little LCD monitors or phones or tablets. Yeah, you can get an idea of what that photographer was going for, but quality prints in quality lighting in quality museums or exhibits isn't something that is a fad and more importantly, will not go extinct seeing as seeing artwork in person is much more invigorating and inspiring than seeing something and going, "okay, I get the idea, nice picture."

This sounds like a "film will always be better" sort of discussions. Maybe I'm a bad example but I've never actually sought out a gallery or museum showing of a specific photographers work. I've certainly seen some at the local art museum and on art walks. I certainly don't imagine prints or the concept of a gallery showing will go "extinct", but on the other hand I don't really know people clamoring to go out to any sort of exhibits on the weekend. The first thing people notice about a photo is the subject/content of it. If they really love it, they might notice the print quality which would just be the nice icing on top of a nice cake. However, if the photo is not to their liking no amount of awesome print work will save it. I'm going to take a wild guess that most people here even if they /love/ photography are not going to be able to tell the difference in print quality between a pro-lab print and something that was printed with TLC by the photographer themselves.

So yeah, I'm fine viewing most photographer's work on my expensive ass S-IPS calibrated monitor. Seeing prints in person is pretty awesome, but I'm looking at photos on my computer probably a good 1200+ times more per year.

I still don't feel like an image is finished unless I have printed it, mounted it to some board and added it to my growing collection.

The best images are about good composition, good range of tonal values and all around, solid design. Everything else is secondary. Some stuff, is even tertiary. My point in all of this is that the realm of "Photography" isn't beholden to simply getting some lights and hitting the shutter. Indeed, that is part of it, but writing off printing is like a tailor only doing coats and never bothering with shoes, pants or vests.

Also, I should note, I am a photography major, so my goals are different than someone who seeks to use Photography as merely an expressive device. I do want to be in galleries. I do want to learn every little niche thing I can.

• Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »

insert BDSM joke here

In all honesty, I don't think there will ever be a time when people will go "Oh, I want to see this famous artists's work, and then simply google his name and be satisfied with low rez, or even high rez pictures on their crappy little LCD monitors or phones or tablets. Yeah, you can get an idea of what that photographer was going for, but quality prints in quality lighting in quality museums or exhibits isn't something that is a fad and more importantly, will not go extinct seeing as seeing artwork in person is much more invigorating and inspiring than seeing something and going, "okay, I get the idea, nice picture."

Surely its only a matter of time before display tech gets so cheap, and high fidelity that print is replaced entirely, even for decorative hanging.

Cynic: Any idea what type of photography you plan on doing for a job when you get done with school?

This discussion has been closed.