As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Secure Internet Browser

2»

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone ripping on IE should watch the IE9 demo videos. MS is doing a lot of things right with IE9. The problem is that everyone treats IE like it's IE6. IE9 will have major performance updates and the way it will utilize the CPU & GPU is just crazy good.

And let me comment on the Webkit idea. Webkit is not some magic cure all. The fact that Chrome & Safari both rendering the same code differently shows this. Opera & Firefox do not use Webkit and they do just fine. And lastly, why should MS put part of their browser in someone else's hands? MS is developing IE differently than other browsers, they're serious about IE now and using Webkit would just hinder them.

Also, the legacy code. MS actually addressed this in one of the white papers for IE7's announcement. They talked about problems with 10+ year old (15+ now) legacy code that was a big problem for security & performance. MS has been removing/replacing the legacy code in IE.

IE was the first browser with plug-in support, a sandbox, threaded tabs, & now multi-core CPU support.

I'm not trying to be an IE fanboy here, I just get tired of having people shoot their mouths off while not actually knowing anything. Then going on about how great Firefox or Chrome is like they don't have issues of their own. I use IE8 as my main browser for a few reasons and I'm well aware of it's issues.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    PostPost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What is the best flash limiter/blocker for google chrome?

Post on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been using FlashBlock for a while. It does the trick nicely.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone ripping on IE should watch the IE9 demo videos. MS is doing a lot of things right with IE9. The problem is that everyone treats IE like it's IE6. IE9 will have major performance updates and the way it will utilize the CPU & GPU is just crazy good.

And let me comment on the Webkit idea. Webkit is not some magic cure all. The fact that Chrome & Safari both rendering the same code differently shows this. Opera & Firefox do not use Webkit and they do just fine. And lastly, why should MS put part of their browser in someone else's hands? MS is developing IE differently than other browsers, they're serious about IE now and using Webkit would just hinder them.

Also, the legacy code. MS actually addressed this in one of the white papers for IE7's announcement. They talked about problems with 10+ year old (15+ now) legacy code that was a big problem for security & performance. MS has been removing/replacing the legacy code in IE.

IE was the first browser with plug-in support, a sandbox, threaded tabs, & now multi-core CPU support.

I'm not trying to be an IE fanboy here, I just get tired of having people shoot their mouths off while not actually knowing anything. Then going on about how great Firefox or Chrome is like they don't have issues of their own. I use IE8 as my main browser for a few reasons and I'm well aware of it's issues.

Honestly, I don't much care about any of the extra security features. I've been in the tubes long enough that I know what's safe browsing, and what isn't. My problem is that IE8 still feels excruciatingly slow compared to every other browser on the market.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PostPost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cyvros wrote: »

Does this help with security? Also I read it doesn't work with Youtube?

Post on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Post wrote: »

I'm not sure about security, but it does cut down on ads (the ad blocking extensions I've found so far aren't nearly as comprehensive as ABP+Element Hider on Firefox). I presume it would help stop most Flash-based baddies. It does work on YouTube, but I think YouTube's on the white list by default.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Hey. Get that common sense and reason out of here. Despite the fact that MS has put out an amazing security tool, beefed the hell out of Windows security (moreso than Apple is doing with OSX), released what I think is their best version of Windows ever, and improved IE not only in its current form but also the future versions that have great-looking features, it's still much easier to say "M$ blows lol".

Michael H on
  • Options
    RSPRSP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

Hey. Get that common sense and reason out of here. Despite the fact that MS has put out an amazing security tool, beefed the hell out of Windows security (moreso than Apple is doing with OSX), released what I think is their best version of Windows ever, and improved IE not only in its current form but also the future versions that have great-looking features, it's still much easier to say "M$ blows lol".

Maybe because IE still looks like a joke in http://acid3.acidtests.org?

RSP on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Flashblock is amazing if you want better performance, but if you want to hide your ads you should use AdBlock. I'm not saying that Flashblock is bad, but certain websites that use just a tiny bit of Flash might not work correctly until you put them in Flashblock's whitelist, eg. it happened to me on www.radiotuna.com.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Flashblock is amazing if you want better performance, but if you want to hide your ads you should use AdBlock. I'm not saying that Flashblock is bad, but certain websites that use just a tiny bit of Flash might not work correctly until you put them in Flashblock's whitelist, eg. it happened to me on www.radiotuna.com.
    I use both. FlashBlock kind of picks up where AdBlock stops. Also, that can get annoying sometimes, but thankfully, it's only two clicks to add something to FlashBlock's white list.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    RSP wrote: »

What exactly is that testing? Because I just tried it in IE, Chrome, Firefox and Opera, and Opera was the only one that came out perfect.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    RSP wrote: »

What exactly is that testing? Because I just tried it in IE, Chrome, Firefox and Opera, and Opera was the only one that came out perfect.

Browser support, mostly of javascript standards (DOM in particular).

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Chrome got 100% on that, here.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png