As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Squidbunny's stupid thread again (help me do a crappy cover really fast)

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    super neat, but i might be a little afraid of the horse now.... niiiiiice horsey

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You should always be afraid of horses. Even when nowhere near a horse. Because you're always near a horse. They're like spiders. Never more than three feet away from you, always hidden.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    are they crawling around inside my mouth while i sleep?

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yay sound fx

NibCrom on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    NibCrom wrote: »
    yay sound fx

:(

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    yay sound fx

you dont care for the thoom, crack or hrnff?

(no im not bumping the thread so i can get an update, i really wouldnt wouldnt be counting the days since the last one)

11 but its not like im holding my breath

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not a fan of the SFX myself, and have already removed the THOOM because seriously; the explosion is fairly self-evident.

Anyways I really appreciate the interest.... I've done a few more pages since then but I've stopped posting them here now that the site's sort of a thing with an update schedule and a buffer and blah blah. My sinister business plan is to offer print versions for sale before the book's run its course on the site so if folks want to drop a couple bucks to support me they can get the story earlier and read it as intended, but those who don't want to pay will still get the content eventually.

I guess I could post the pages here once the site catches up ... but by then I'll probably have bundled them into a print version and probably won't be making whatever changes folks might suggest. Which is sort of sad; feedback from you guys really kept me going and almost always caught a bunch of really stupid problems.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    yay sound fx

you dont care for the thoom, crack or hrnff?

(no im not bumping the thread so i can get an update, i really wouldnt wouldnt be counting the days since the last one)

11 but its not like im holding my breath

Not really? to me it tends to ruin the artistic aspect.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My feeling is that, in comics, you write down things you hear. Including dialogue and sounds. It's consistent! But it's Squidbunnies comic, she can do what she wants.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    personally, I am a fan of SFX in comics, because, if done right, they blend seamlessly into the art and can add to the enjoyment of it

plus, they can be used for dramatic effect as well

like, take for example an issue of Thor

just a single panel of KRAKKATHOOM before a huge reveal of Thor adds dramatic effect

Though SFX can be used poorly and muddle up a piece, which in lesser hands can and will happen

But I believe you could use them quite well squidbunny, if you wanna

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ^this^

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I guess i'm more appreciative of the sfx in manga- it a) always seems superbly integrated (to the point where I don't really notice it) and b) they don't have to make up ugly words to replicate teh sfx. Those words already exist for them.

I suppose another thing is that they're often just 1-3 symbols instead of 5-6 letters (often more for emphasis).

I don't know. 99% of the time, sfx in english comics bother me instead of helping me.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Not being able to search or just go "find threads started by so-and-so" is a bummer when you want to revive something from the beforetime, and I didn't want to start a new thread for a sketch this half-assed.

Anyway, anyone remember the much embattled NTO book 1 cover? Plenty of folks hated the finished product but I was too sick of it to go in another direction. Unfortunately, I've now got this notion that I want every two books to have essentially matching covers; i.e. books 1 and 2 share a samish design but reverse the characters' roles/positions, books 3 & 4 do likewise but with a different composition, etc.. Best or worst idea?

Here's the book 1 cover and my super rough sketch for book 2 so you see what I mean:

book1_cover.jpgbook2_sketch.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ugh i want to buy it so badly but book 1 is 5$ and shipping/taxes is $10 for me D:
    although it says "contact store owner if you dont want to use usps"

mully on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I like the idea of doubling the covers so they look kickass on the store shelf together... but i'm still not entirely sold on the overall look of the cover.

Also, it bugs me that both characters are looking in the same direction on cover 1 but looking at each other in cover 2

Nappuccino on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like that idea for the covers, though for some reason the black and white chick is looking way more badass than the dude with a little spark in his hand.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think that is attributed to their characters- he's suave, cocky, and dashing (albeit evil [?]) and she's hard a hard worn badass.

Which... actually, the second cover picture seems like it might grab the audience more especially since it seems to feature the main character. Maybe swap the covers and use flipped variations for the respective cover 1 and 2?

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I must confess that I really like that cover idea. Even your rough sketch has a shit-ton of character to it and I would love to see you refine that.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Which... actually, the second cover picture seems like it might grab the audience more especially since it seems to feature the main character. Maybe swap the covers and use flipped variations for the respective cover 1 and 2?

Agreed with this.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks, guys.

She's not the main character, per se; he's equally main but she happens to open most of the action in the early chapters. So, yeah, for that reason you're all right and the covers really ought to be swapped, but unfortunately that's now impossible since Book 1 is already in print & been bought and/or downloaded by a bunch of dudes. But! I can still still run with any feedback on cover 2. So, I'ma go ahead and try flipping his silhouette so it faces away and better matches #1 (thanks, Napp).

Mully, if you don't want to shell out for (admittedly insane) shipping on 1 flimsy little book you could always grab a digital download off the site -- they're quite a bit cheaper and it's still the whole first book and Toji's pinup and blah, blah, blah this is increasingly whorish so I'ma shut up.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Somehow I've managed to not see this thread until now, so I just have to say right now this is awesome! I also like the idea of the related covers. Love to see more!

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sooooo 100 years after I unnecessarily bumped this for feedback on my cover thumbnail, I finally had time to start on it. I'ma include the book 1 cover again for comparison since this is all TOTP, but don't bother critting that no mo' since it's already set in stone and your cries will go unheard.

Napp, I flipped Hunter for ya.

book1_cover.jpgcover_sketch_2_v2.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh that looks awesome :^:

Although hunter is floating right now lol

Nappuccino on

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looks good :)

I'd darken the white of her eye a bit - I couldn't figure out which way she was looking at first.

Aim on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Minimal work done on this:

cover_sketch_2_v3.jpg

And before anyone expresses confusion or outrage at glowing ground clutter, I'm drawing vaguely on this scene in the comic itself:

sun_prairie_example.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Minimal though they may have been, the little changes did improve things a lot. You can much more easily tell she's looking at the viewer. I fucking love the sky here, by the way, holy shit.

The only point of criticism I'd offer at this point is that the way she's holding the gun makes it seem much lighter than a gun of that size would be. It only seems to sort of brush her fingertips, whereas you'd expect her to support it with her whole hand. I dunno, does this make sense at all?

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Although absolutely beautiful, I have to honestly say it looks like she's looking to the right, not at the viewer. I have to focus a lot to perceive her looking at me.

Awk on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    The only point of criticism I'd offer at this point is that the way she's holding the gun makes it seem much lighter than a gun of that size would be. It only seems to sort of brush her fingertips, whereas you'd expect her to support it with her whole hand. I dunno, does this make sense at all?

Not really, because the way I see it all the weight of a rifle is pretty much supported by your trigger arm/shoulder, and you really only need your opposite hand to level and aim. I think this is a ploy to get me to post pics posing with a rifle.

Thanks Awk & Aim. I swear I'm not being obstinate about this eye business but the white sclera with the glowing irises is giving me trouble. Is this any better?

cover_sketch_2_v4.jpg

I wish I had more time to work on it; picking at it's getting it all noodley.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That is much improved. The other ones were kind of like a magic eye where you'd stare at it and the right read of the eye slowly comes into focus, but this one read right, right away.

I think I'm bugged a little by the uniformity of the glowing flowers. They all sort of read as midtones to me. Are there any plans to make some hotspots where the flowers are lighter than the highlights they're throwing on Hunter's coat?

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think I'm bugged a little by the uniformity of the glowing flowers. They all sort of read as midtones to me. Are there any plans to make some hotspots where the flowers are lighter than the highlights they're throwing on Hunter's coat?

Definitely; it's all pretty grey back there, yeah.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is ridiculously amazing.

Ridiculously so. Fuck.

acadia on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    squidbunny wrote: »

Not really, because the way I see it all the weight of a rifle is pretty much supported by your trigger arm/shoulder, and you really only need your opposite hand to level and aim. I think this is a ploy to get me to post pics posing with a rifle.

That makes sense, you know more about guns than I do. And it's not a ploy, honest. That'd be cool, though.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    squidbunny wrote: »

That makes sense, you know more about guns than I do. And it's not a ploy, honest. That'd be cool, though.

The eye is much better - you can figure out what is going on immediately now.

As for the rifle, It's not a big deal, and I'm not an expert on guns, I've only fired shotguns a couple of times, but if I recall correctly with those most of the weight was supported between the shoulder and the forward arm. (Thinking about it, the trigger is at the back of all the metal parts/barrel - the center of gravity is going to be quite a bit forward of the trigger hand)

Aim on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah... from what I do remember of shooting guns, I remember my forward arm carrying a lot of the weight. I suppose you could argue that she's letting the gun fall into her hand or something like that but... I also think it could be a bit more exaggerated if that's the case.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    book1_cover.jpgcover_sketch_2_v5.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For some reason the composition to the right works a lot better.

I know you're finished with both of them (and you've done great work), I just think the one on the left would work better if it were closed in a bit more like the one on the right. The rifle does a great L-composition combined with the stars that's not working as successfully with the fire arm and sunset combo.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I totally agree, actually. Poor planning on my part. All I can do now is make sure 3 & 4 are mutually stronger.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    The FoolThe Fool Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gotta say Squidbunny, this is turning out beautifully. The smoke (mist? Fog? Pollen? I dunno yet, you won't let me see the comic that far ahead, you jerk T_T) in particular I like, the way its broken up is very nebula like, unearthly, really adds to the scene.

Please keep doing what you do!

The Fool on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I dredged up the old thread to get your opinion on a thing.

Comics convention dictates using a single stroke upper-case I (no serifs) when lettering except for first-person pronouns. I've been bucking the rules and using the I with crossbars in NTO because I liked how it looked ... but now I'm thinking even liking how it looks is retarded since a serifed I has no business in there with all those sans-serif letters.

I'm not a traditionalist by any means and really don't think comics need to follow these kinds of rules (visual artists shouldn't worry about wearing white after Labor Day), but I'm also not trying to be a brat and stick it to the establishment for its own sake. I just want to know what has the best visual texture for the comic and reads easiest. Here's a side-by-side. Thoughts?

Is_have_it.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think I prefer the first, to be honest, but by only a small margin.

Spectre-x on