As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nature [Chat]

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh man, someone playing one of my favorite composers (massiaen) on my favorite synthesizer (bucchla 200e)?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0_fBVeM0rs

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I have rad ass parents. My dad is having a forum feud.

What is the nature of this feud? Is it perhaps Phillips vs Flathead in nature?

Someone was being intentionally obtuse and I got to review his response before he posted!

Your dad should post here.

It would maybe be fun for a while, but anyway I don't think he'd be particularly interested in webcomic forums.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    11 hours! Give me Masters of Orion 2!

It works under Dosbox, even under Win7. I played a game just the other day.

Except I can't order it from Amazon and have it arrive in 11 hours.

Also on GOG it'll probably be like ten bucks.

http://www.atari.com/games/moo2_battle_anta

You can DL it right now for $10 and just set up Dosbox.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I picked up the Special Edition of The Secret of Monkey Island and I gotta say... I should have played this ages ago! The writing is so great!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    (
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Please disregard this post.

Things contained in parenthesis are (not) important.

I spent about three minutes reading this, parsing it.

while oblivious==1
    parse()

)

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I picked up the Special Edition of The Secret of Monkey Island and I gotta say... I should have played this ages ago! The writing is so great!

They are remaking the second one as well:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/monkey-island-2-remake-this-summer

And I have to say, Monkey Island 2 is, to date, still my favorite Monkey Island game.

Drez on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    11 hours! Give me Masters of Orion 2!

It works under Dosbox, even under Win7. I played a game just the other day.

Except I can't order it from Amazon and have it arrive in 11 hours.

Also on GOG it'll probably be like ten bucks.

http://www.atari.com/games/moo2_battle_anta

You can DL it right now for $10 and just set up Dosbox.

But I like Good Old Games better than Atari and they'll probably release extras!

I don't want to play it right now anyway, I need to read Transmetropolitan and get started on my book backlog.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man I kind of want to play MOO2 now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Huh. I mean I work at a bank, but I'm pretty sure the redundancy is high enough that being able to do that wouldn't cause any huge problems. I mean there are often recorded phone calls and screen prints and various other things to go along with it. I would assume there would be easier and less traceable ways to create mayhem if you were so inclined.

It's the justification I heard from one of our IT guys. I don't actually know what we use instead, I just remember it coming up because someone wanted to be able to use some other Exchange-specific feature relating to the engineering services guy's tablets.

japan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone want to recommend a license reseller for Windows Server 2008?

CDW

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Message recall is dumb.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Message recall is dumb.

I remember being able to do that in AOL.

My child mind was delighted.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yes. Yes it is.

And the voices are so well done I had trouble believing they weren't in the original.

Curse of Monkey Island will always be my favorite though.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Message recall is dumb.

As are read receipts.

The recall notices are often quite funny, though. There is a guy at a particular broker who has remarkably poor impulse control.

japan on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Huh. I mean I work at a bank, but I'm pretty sure the redundancy is high enough that being able to do that wouldn't cause any huge problems. I mean there are often recorded phone calls and screen prints and various other things to go along with it. I would assume there would be easier and less traceable ways to create mayhem if you were so inclined.

It's the justification I heard from one of our IT guys. I don't actually know what we use instead, I just remember it coming up because someone wanted to be able to use some other Exchange-specific feature relating to the engineering services guy's tablets.

Oh yeah it does make sense, even if not a huge threat, as something that might not be preferable due to accidental confusion if nothing else. I'm kinda surprised it's not disabled or something.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I guess I have time to hike all the way over there... AGAIN!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yes. Yes it is.

And the voices are so well done I had trouble believing they weren't in the original.

I just don't understand this. Monkey Island 3 was always my very least favorite. It felt too much like they were trying to cram as many allusions and in-jokes as possible into the series. Now, MI2 had a lot of allusions and in-jokes, but it was also had a lot of novel content that was new and funny in its own right. MI3 practically hits you over the head with allusion during every single second of the game. It got to be a bit much and I didn't find the game very funny.

I'm almost universally disagreed with on this, though, so I guess it's just me.

Like I would seriously rate them MI2 > MI1 > MI4 > MI3.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'd like message recall for text messaging.

Last night I was going to send "Najs" to a friend, which is a Swedishilization of the word "Nice". But when I pressed Send the autospell changed it to "Bajs", which means poo.

And the words for fun and cock are separated by only one letter, which constantly causes problems.

Honk on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's always you Drez, ALWAYS.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And the words for fun and cock are separated by only one letter, which constantly causes fun problems.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Yes. Yes it is.

I just don't understand this. Monkey Island 3 was always my very least favorite. It felt too much like they were trying to cram as many allusions and in-jokes as possible into the series. Now, MI2 had a lot of allusions and in-jokes, but it was also had a lot of novel content that was new and funny in its own right. MI3 practically hits you over the head with allusion during every single second of the game. It got to be a bit much and I didn't find the game very funny.

Counterpoint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AawQvD8L_h4

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    And the words for fun and cock are separated by only one letter, which constantly causes problems.

Someone I know sent "Hade du kuk i går?" to his boss. His female boss.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'd like message recall for text messaging.

Last night I was going to send "Najs" to a friend, which is a Swedishilization of the word "Nice". But when I pressed Send the autospell changed it to "Bajs", which means poo.

Predictive text always substitutes the word "riot" for "pint", I find.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Fun™

Honk on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Judgement wrote: »
    Please disregard this post.

You owe me 4 seconds, Honk.

No refunds!

What game is that from?? I remember as soon as you close something........ Titan Quest??

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Someone I know sent "Hade du kuk i går?" to his boss. His female boss.

That is so cock! I hope the boss had a sense of humour.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Yes. Yes it is.

Counterpoint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AawQvD8L_h4

Yeah exactly. Not that funny to me. Not wholly unfunny, but I could take it or leave it.

*shrug*

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Man, the golden age superhero origins are just awful.

I read the Spiderman one once. It's literally "One day Peter Parker was out walking when he got bitten by a radioactive spider and gained superpowers!"

Echo on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I can't see much of a reason to read Catcher in the Rye after, like, 10th grade.

TSAR and TCoL49 are great, though.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Maybe it's just because wordplay, puns, and awkward rhyming are my favorite sources of humor, but that (and the rhyming insult swordfighting) were some of my favorite parts of the entire series.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I mean the conclusion to that video got a chuckle, but MI3 just can't compare to MI2 in pure humor. Not for me anyway.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Maybe it's just because wordplay, puns, and awkward rhyming are my favorite sources of humor, but that (and the rhyming insult swordfighting) were some of my favorite parts of the entire series.

I hear you.

I love the visual irony in MI2.

Like when you stuff the dog in your coat. That scene is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game.

Drez on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I read the Spiderman one once. It's literally "One day Peter Parker was out walking when he got bitten by a radioactive spider and gained superpowers!"

No one really cared much about story then Echo, because they were comics and for kids. Now it's all graphic novels and complex character dramas and less "I'll defeat you with Super Quilting!"

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    what's the name of the comic artist who draws people with ridiculously excessive numbers of ammo pouches and belts and stuff

Organichu on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yes. Yes it is.

My name is Yami and I approve this message.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

So wait the Americans, in the Captain America ethos, were basically Nazi scientists?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    what's the name of the comic artist who draws people with ridiculously excessive numbers of ammo pouches and belts and stuff

bloodpouch.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Tetsuya Nomura?

edit: Oh, comic artist, nevermind.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Rob Liefeld?

Honk on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Rob Liefeld if you couldn't tell from echos drawing.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.