Options

(IC) Rogue Trader: A Fresh Start

13»

Posts

  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarvus raises a placating hand to the indignant Sargent.

    "But of course Sargent. As always we free citizens of the Imperium thank you for your selfless and tireless service."

    Sarvus then reached out to press the comm button for the interrogation room.

    "Well done Tristen. The Sargent believes we have what we need and suggests we leave his fine precinct with all due haste. Shall we?"

    Sarvus then turned, bowed to the Sargent, and made for the door out.

    npc.EXE on
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vorgan looked between Mikaela and Solar, hoping he wasn't going to see any weapons being drawn. Once satisfied that there would be no violence, he nodded to Solar and stuck out his hand to the man.

    "Very well, if you agree to give us the information we seek for agreeing to your task, then we have a deal."

    lodwilk on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Yeah. Sure. OK. Book delivery service, that's me."

    Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mercutio called up a map of the expanse on his terminal.

    "Orbest mentioned that the destination was somewhere in Winterscale Reach. That would be... here. And any ships moving into the Expanse would need to transit the storms here.... and the first port on the far side of the storms would be... here. Footfall."

    'I hope you guys come back aboard with a destination', Falk thought.

    Falk's voice took on the timbre of command.
    Roll for command.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2508709/
    83. Hideous failure, I make things take longer.

    "Comms, recall all parties on shore, we need to go, now. Send runners and criers if you have to. Get us on the queue with harbor control, I want clearance for transit as soon as we're sealed. Auspex, get whatever data we have on the Brandt and the Fell Hand to the gunnery teams, I want them running engagement scenarios while we transit."

    He toggled a channel on his console.

    "Anastasia, we're transiting to Footfall. We await an exit vector at your convenience."

    An officer approached him. "Captain, shall I announce Footfall as our destination in the Commerce Commons?" Falk the onetime-naval officer stared back at him blank eyed as the pieces came together.

    You have a ship.
    You are not in the navy.
    .....
    Haul something.


    "YES, yes announce it. Immediate departure for Footfall. But we're not waiting. Anything or anyone who wants to buy a ride better beat our people to the gates."

    GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Solar nods.

    "Then we have a deal. Please wait here."

    He turns and heads through a door into a small office. From inside you can hear muttering and the sound of someone rummaging through stacks of paperwork. After about 2 hours he returns with a small lockbox and a sheet of paper, both of which he hands to Vorgan.

    "Here you are, the box contains the literature we spoke of. The sheet has all the details your navigator will need for finding the system in question. Specifically the Magoros system. It has been visited before but only a cursory visit. Good travels."

    It's going to take about 4 hours to get everything together for your hasty departure. This should be about 2 hours after Solar has found the system in question. The interrogation will have only taken about an hour, so Tristan and Sarvus should get back to the ship about 3 hours before undocking.

    Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arriving back at the ship Sarvus headed immediately for the command bridge. He entered the pulpit and found it a hive of bustling activity.

    "Lord Falk, Tristen and I have returned from the den of thieves. The man captured was most forthcoming with the names Lady Ash and that of a gentleman not unlike your persuasion by the name of Hadarak Fel. Did... did we miss something in our absence?"

    npc.EXE on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Good work Sarvus."

    Falk snapped his fingers and waved. An ensign approached with a case. Opening it, Mercutio withdrew a bolt pistol, offering it grip first to the astropath.

    "You proved your worth today and that's something. It's only fair I reward that in turn. It's yours. Remember to recite the litanies regularly, a boltgun must be treated with respect if you are to depend on it."

    As Sarvus examined the pistol, Falk turned to his officers.

    "Are we buttoned up yet?"
    "Not quite sir, still waiting for the last few parties."

    GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarvus turned the ornate craft over in his hands, running his fingers upon the inscription upon its grip.

    "The Emperors mercy is a warm gun" he whispered to himself and then chuckled.

    "You are as always a most gracious host Lord Falk. I look forward to continued service in your name. If you need me for anything I shall be reconvening with the choir. Excuse me."

    With that Sarvus turned and left for his quarters his new gift in hand, humming all the way.

    npc.EXE on
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arriving back at the ship, stopped briefly to speak with Mikaela. "We have what we seek. It would be best if I took the box containing the books to my chambers, while you go do what you do best. Pilot this ship, and if you could make a stopover at Footfall then all the better. We would hate to go back on a deal wouldn't we? "

    With that said Vorgan headed to his chambers, carefully carrying the box from Solar in his hands. On his way there, the Enginseer passed, Sarvus, who oddly enough was humming while holding gun in his hands. Vorgan gave the Astropath a polite nod, and continued on his way.

    lodwilk on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Sir, gate control reports Mikaela and Chief Vorgan are aboard."
    "Excellent, transmit our intent to undock and give me shipwide."
    "You're on sir."
    "All stations, this is the captain speaking. We'll be jumping as soon as we are in open space. Enginarium, bring the plasma drives to idle and begin the prejump checklist. Watchmadam Mikaela please report to the bridge."

    GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Lord Captain, I return, having successfully completes the quest you set upon me. According to the cartographer we found, we should head for the Magoros system."

    Mikaela smiles as she seats herself at the guns control and starts running diagnostics.

    "Ensign, make sure that augur array is in perfect shape, I have a feeling we're going to need it."

    Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Excellent Mikaela. GATE CONTROL, cast all moorings."
    ".... Moorings clear."
    "Helm relative pitch 120 roll 180, execute."
    "Relative pitch 120 roll 180 answering aye."

    "Captain, harbor control signals departure angle is clear."

    Falk watched as the harbor docking arms vanished below the forward windows, and then reappeared at the sides as the ship flipped itself around.

    "Enginarium, plasma drives to one quarter on my mark. Five, four, three, two, one... mark."

    Shuddering under the instant gee-load the Benevolence knifed out of the harbor towards open space.
    Chrysis, we're ready for jump.

    Rising from his seat, Falk walked over to Mikaela's station.

    "Apparently we have ourselves a competitor. Hadarak Fel, Fell Hand. He transited a while ago so we're gonna have to burn hard to run him down. Sees fit to push me on day one and I see no reason not to push back so we're gonna nail this guy."

    GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    With barely a shudder the Benediction slips into warp space. The crew are well trained, and go about their tasks with remarkable efficiency.

    An ensign enters the bridge.

    "Captain, Anastasia reports that the first leg of the trip should take around 2 days. We will have to make a brief stop in a region of space known as the Battleground to adjust our course, but it should be routine."

    With that, the ensign returns to his duties as Anastasia's messenger.


    Roughly six hours later the ensign returns, standing to attention.

    "Captain, another report. We are approaching the entrance to the Maw. However, an empyreal eddy is gathering which could prove dangerous. It will likely take one or two days to clear if we wait, however Anastasia is certain she should be able to plot a reasonably safe route through. How shall we proceed?"

    With that, he waits to report back.
    Congratulations everyone. We've made it through the first stage of the adventure. As a prize, everyone can have 200xp to spend. We're moving onto chapter 2, so let's get ready to go.

    Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mercutio considered the choice. He had spent a fair part of his career in the warp but he was never at ease in it. The scant knowledge that beyond the ship's defenses lurked an unknown that breathed ill will towards mankind did not sit well with him.

    "We cannot give up the chase. We shall push ahead. Comms, take a message for Chief Vorgan, post haste..."

    Vorgan,

    The navigator informs me that we are entering a disturbed region of the immaterium. Please focus your ministrations on the geller field, much may depend on it. Keep this on the quiet; it won't help the crew to know.

    M.F.

    Chrysis, I'm going to save that XP for an attribute increase next time.

    Oh, and Lodwik, I remembered your interest in the warp. :winky:

    GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vorgan moved around the enginarium as quickly as he could, constantly checking to make sure that everything was in working order. Occasionally he would stop to take a look at the box containing the books they had to deliver, and when he had a free moment he even examined it to see if it was locked or possibly trapped. However the occasional sound of one of the three crewmembers assigned to aide him in the enginarium, dropping a tool, or just making a mess of the order he had come to expect of his residence there.

    Once things had settled down, Vorgan began looking over a few files he had, specifically in regards to the modifications of weapons. Satisfied with what he had read, Vorgan quickly wrote down a message and approached one of the ensigns assigned to “help” him.

    ”You there, what was your name again?”

    The ensign turned to face the exploratory, dropping his combitool on the ground in the process. With a muttered apology the boy quickly picked up the tool and responded to the question. ”My name is Harmon, sir. But everyone just calls me Echo.”

    ”Well then ‘Echo’, out of the three of you people whom I still haven’t figured out if your here to help me or drive me insane; you seem to be the most useless here. So I have a task that perhaps even you can accomplish. Take this note and give it to Void Master Mikaela. Can you do that for me?”

    ”Yes sir.” with an overly enthusiastic salute the boy took the message and ran out of the enginarium. Vorgan smiled as the boy left, sure it would have been easier to just use the comm systems, but now the boys incompetence would not cause more harm the enginarium. Plus he was curious as to how the Void Master would respond to receiving a note that said:



    Mikaela

    I have done a bit of research and I believe I could install those suspensors you so kindly asked me to install for you. Feel free to come down here with the gun and the suspensors and I will give it my best shot. As a warning though, since this would be my first time performing a complex procedure as this, there is a chance I could damage some of the parts within the suspensor. Or even make it completely unusable.

    Vorgan




    Going back to his work, Vorgan continued to read on how to properly install the suspensors, and would occasional shoot an eye towards the box of books. To his surprise though, a message arrived for him, which he first though came from Mikaela.

    Damn that boy must have flown to that woman. However his assumptions were wrong upon seeing the message came from the captain, and was in regards to the ships travels through the void. Bolting up to his feet, the explorator looked around for OSC, and pointed at the servoskull who was doing a routine maintenance check on an exhaust vent.

    OSC! Go prep the warp readers right now, while I go make sure the Gellar field will be in proper working order.”

    Without a word, the servoskull floated off towards a corner in the enginarium where Vorgan had set up all his instruments to aide him in his research. Meanwhile Vorgan went off to work, switching between excitement over how this could aide his research, and frustration over his lack of time. He still wanted to make copies of the “heretical” books to send to the librarys of the Adeptus Mechanus, and he still wanted to see if he would be able to properly install the suspensors on Mikaelas gun.
    I have spent 100 xp on getting Trade (Armourer) and the other 100 to boost my intelligence to 54.

    As for Vorgans research. It is purely fluff and will have no current or future mechanical impact on the game, so I hope it’s alright if I just make up results, or you could even make some up for me. Also, the box with the books in them, is it locked? If not and I open it, how many books are there, nd how long would it take for me to make copies of even a single book? Would it be safe to assume that my servoskull could transcribe the books for myself?

    Hermenglide I can install those suspensors for you. However it’s an agility check, and mine is currently at 34. If I fail by three degrees some of the parts could be damage. If I fail by 5, all of them would be and the suspensor would become useless. So it’s your call on what to do in regards to that.

    lodwilk on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Emperor's Benediction pushes ahead into the relative calm between the two roiling warp storms. The course seems true, but the ship is caught in a sudden flurry of raw energy. The Geller fields strain, and flicker wildly, however they ultimately hold firm. Some energy manages to seep through however, and a general malaise sets in amongst the crew.

    Right on schedule the Benediction reverts to real space in the area known as the battlefield. It is a region of space teeming with the wreckage of ships lost in some forgotten battle. Essentially a massive debris field, it is none the less an opportune place for vessels travelling through the warp to regain their bearings in preparation for the second leg of the trip.

    The crew hurry around, checking for damage from the trip. On the bridge, the vox-operator calls out.

    "Captain! We're picking up a Salvation Beacon from an Imperial Ship. The beacon is extremely weak, but seems to be originating from inside a nearby section of the debris field. The ship appears to be one 'Penitent Traveller', and records indicate it's a pilgrim ship. No response to attempts to hail."
    Right, we're back in the game. Everyone will need to take a WP test at +10 or suffer -10 WS & BS for 1d5 days due to Anastasia's mediocre rolls for navigation. She wasn't far off though.

    Due to circumstances I'd be willing to make the installation test +10. You have good facilities available to you, and various instructional materials.

    So Mikaela and Tristan still has some XP to spend, and did a decision ever get made as to what she was going to be the master of?

    Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Minions ! Go back to see the chief tech-priest. Bring the gun and the suspensors. Have him attach it, of have him find someone else who can do it."

    ***

    Sitting at the augur array on the bridge, Mikaela is very annoyed at the shoddy passage through the warp.

    "What kind of navigation was that ? Is the navigator trying to kill us all ? My granny can navigate better than that. Three-eyes had better get her game back in gear. Well. Water under the bridge now. Let'S see what the array tells us about that ship."

    After working the array and skimming the readouts, Mikaela is satisfied.

    "Seems legit."
    Go for it Lodwilk. Maybe you can get a bonus for combi-tool... I can't believe it is this hard...

    Willpower success
    Failure at scanning

    Yep, Mastery of Gunnery
    XP :
    100 - Drive (ground vehicle)
    100 - Simple Willpower (+5)

    Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Working furiously to keep the Gellar fields in proper working order, Vorgan doesn't even have the time to check on his sensors, instead having to rely on OSC to give him a readout once they where through the warp. The flurry of chaotic energy causes Vorgan to worry that the field won't hold, but through much effort he managed to keep it up long enough for them to exit the warp.

    With a sigh of relief the Enginseer checks to make sure everything was in working order before heading over to OSC for a summary of their readings. However right then Mikaelas minions entered the enginarium with a suspensor unit and gun.

    Shaking his head Vorgan considered putting off the installation of the parts, but he did give his word to Mikaela and he was interested to see if he could perform the upgrade. Sitting down, Vorgan began to work and found the procedure to be relatively simple.

    Once he was near completion however, Vorgans visions suddenly blurred for a few moments and when his eyes were able to refocus themselves, what he saw before him surprised him. Somehow he had connected the propulsion system of the suspensor to the firing mechanism of the gun.

    "Hmmm it seems that the gellar field was weakend more then I thought." Looking at the mess he had made of Mikaelas weapon and suspensors, Vorgan shook his head and immediately went to work trying to fix the mess he had made.
    Sorry but I failed the check by 3 degrees, meaning the suspensors were damaged. However I believe I am allowed to fix it with a tech use test, which I passed so everything should be fine. Also I failed the WP test, so -10 to WS and BS for Vorgan for 4 days.

    Willpower (1d100=55)
    Days of drain (1d5=4)
    Agility check for suspensors (1d100=79)
    Tech use to repair damaged parts. (1d100=58)

    lodwilk on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

    Still slightly green from the force of the storm and subsequent reversion to realspace, Falk assessed the situation.

    "Alright, let's get things in shape. Enginarium, begin the jump recharge, and give those geller fields a good twice over. Helm, put us on an oblique approach angle on that beacon. We're here until the engines recharge so we might as well look around."

    Falk walked to the front of the bridge next to the helm and stared out into the battleground. Space was vast and ships tiny but the auspex reflections were highlighted on the consoles, and they were too numerous to count.

    How many have died here? For how many causes that we have forgotten?

    GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarvus sat patiently and tended to the needs of those within his choir after The Emperor's Benediction exited the warp.

    The trip had been tumultuous and he wondered to himself if the Navigator had been so bold as to test the patience of a roiled warp.

    After several hours Sarvus began to grow bored.

    "It sure is quiet" he said to himself.

    npc.EXE on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Emperor's Benediction begins to approach the location of the beacon. The crew are alert, tense with the constant danger of the floating debris. The void shields flare with the minor impacts, and occasionally a larger, slower piece bounces off the hull sending shudders through the ship.

    All of a sudden, a shout goes up from the auspex sections.

    "Contact! Three energy signatures detected! Two Raider class vessels and one smaller unknown. All accelerating on an intercept course!"

    Hard (-20) Scrutiny + Detection Test for the one manning the Auspex, 49 which is a fail.

    Raider 1: Dead ahead and closing, roughly 16 VU distant.

    Raider 2: Straight out to the left, roughly 24 VU.

    Unknown: Roughly the same location as the beacon, about 20 VU on a 45 degree angle.

    Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "BEAT TO QUARTERS. Armorer unlock first and second volley macrocannon rounds, enginarium full power all battle systems. Mikaela, get the guns spitting. Helm, bear on the closest ship, flanking speed."
    Mikaela gets my free captain's bonus for the round.

    Rolling for command to see if I speed things up or get in the way.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2531181/

    46, needed a 40. I make things take longer apparently.

    GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hearing the klaxons Sarvus rushed from his chambers to the command deck.

    "Lord Falk, where would I be of most help in this dire time of need?"

    npc.EXE on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Ready to fire. Waiting for the range to close."

    Hermenegilde on
Sign In or Register to comment.