As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Week o Games, 4/18: Monster Hunter Tri, Breath of Death VII is Available NOW (XBLIG)

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Breath of Death VII just got Approved. That means it'll probably be up on Xbox Live Indie Games in a few hours!!!

:^::^: Will buy right away. Ironically will be shelving FFXIII for a bit to try it out. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Will buy my first XBLIG today. Most games are so shallow that once you play the demo, you've done it all. Very much looking forward to BoD VII. Any word how many copies you need to sell in order to secure BoD VIII? Maybe it could be an MMO?

Really wanted Tri, but dammit I don't have 1000 hours to commit to it. With Galaxy 2 coming out in a month, my summer will be full. I will grab a Classic Controller Pro, though.

Also very intrigued by the Afterburner game. 1up loved it. The demo is waiting for me at home.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Will buy my first XBLIG today. Most games are so shallow that once you play the demo, you've done it all. Very much looking forward to BoD VII. Any word how many copies you need to sell in order to secure BoD VIII? Maybe it could be an MMO?

Really wanted Tri, but dammit I don't have 1000 hours to commit to it. With Galaxy 2 coming out in a month, my summer will be full. I will grab a Classic Controller Pro, though.

Also very intrigued by the Afterburner game. 1up loved it. The demo is waiting for me at home.

If you like shmups, there are several really excellent Indie Games (Shoot 1up, Echoes+, Biology Battle), and people really seemed to like Miner Dig Deep as well.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can't wait, I'll be buying BoDVII all quick like. I even have the MS points saved for it. Yay!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bought

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Only got to play a few minutes 'cause I have to go to work, but...the ability to initiate a battle at any time you want on the world map?

That is fucking cool as hell. Where'd you guys come up with the idea for that?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AAARGH I have a job interview tomorrow morning!!

Will be buying tomorrow night!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was going to post the link to its availability but TheBosZ got word! Thanks for posting the link good sir!

Here is the link again for fun:

Buy Breath of Death VII The Beginning, by RainbowDespaire and Slash000, support PA G&T indie development! Only a Buck!

Only got to play a few minutes 'cause I have to go to work, but...the ability to initiate a battle at any time you want on the world map?

That is fucking cool as hell. Where'd you guys come up with the idea for that?

RainbowDespair came up with the gameplay design in this game. The Fight command is great IMO too because random encounters go down to 0% rate as your reputation in an area increases. In other words, you're not forced to grind -- unless you want to!

slash000 on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You have more support! I bought it too.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just bought BoDVII also. I'll give it a shot tonight. I really think an oldschool rpg like this is perfect for the indie section.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks guys :)

Yeah I think that the XBox Indies would be great in general for retro style games. Most of the larger publishers aren't going to spend resources doing this kind of thing because it doesn't have a vast mainstream appeal, at least not at lower prices. These kinds of games are pretty ideal for smaller teams, like an indie dev.

If you guys get a chance rate the game too :)

slash000 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's the new trailer. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32pvg8I2rgI

And based on the last update, we've got 61 user ratings with an average of 4.5/5. That'll get us on the top ratings list for sure! Hopefully, it'll keep going up. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Your trailer hit gametrailers' front page: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-breath-of/64797

Renzo on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    Your trailer hit gametrailers' front page: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-breath-of/64797

First comment makes me sad.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! That was a lot quicker than our first trailer.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »

First comment makes me sad.

Heh :P

It's okay. Over time, there are going to be a lot of people that don't "get" the idea of a retro-style RPG, or an RPG in the style of an 8-bit one. There will also be a lot of people that just don't like "retro" stuff at all and prefer newer looking games. There will also be people that simply think it looks stupid.

That's okay. Having a trailer is good to have people who do care about the type of game, or genre, to know about it.

So we might end up with a low rating or get a lot of negative comments, but it's okay. There will be plenty of positive ones as well.

I'm really confident in the quality of this game. It's got a solid gameplay foundation and we polished and balanced the heck out of it. Once people who are looking for an RPG or retro RPG experience start playing it, it'll all be worth it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just bought Breath of Death VII through the live website. Will totally play it tomorrow after work.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    gonna buy BoD so hard tonight
    the trailer's music is pretty sweet, did you guys make it?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The music is great; we actually licensed it from several different people. I'm just glad we could find music that fit our game as well as it does.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, I just finished sending out dozens of emails and review codes to various websites. Hopefully we get picked up by some big sites soon.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The music is great; we actually licensed it from several different people. I'm just glad we could find music that fit our game as well as it does.

Yeah, from the little bit I played I loved the music selection with only one exception. I'm not a big fan of the victory fanfare. Everything else is great selections, though.

So far I like that the game's old school in an 8 bit way, but still with some cool innovations to it. It's like an alternate history almost, since those innovations are almost useless to a more modern game, but they work well in this style. I'm mostly talking about the fight command. Great idea there. The combo system is pretty great too. And the attacks that use multiple characters are not so much a very new innovation, but it is something that came afterwards and seems innovative in a game that feels older than that.

My one nitpick so far is that the world map is kind of busy. At least so far it seems like you guys were afraid of using a more blank tile for a bit. It's kind of hard to tell where you can pass and where you can't at first, and even when you figure that out it's still slightly weird.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Artereis wrote: »
    Any chances of seeing BoD on the zune or WinPhone7?

Given that I'm the programmer and own neither of those, it's highly unlikely.

What about just PC? I own neither of those, nor an xbox, but this game sounds outstanding.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whooo!

Once I get the chance to plug my 360 into the internet, I'll be downloading me some BoD. :winky:

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yeah, from the little bit I played I loved the music selection with only one exception. I'm not a big fan of the victory fanfare. Everything else is great selections, though.

So far I like that the game's old school in an 8 bit way, but still with some cool innovations to it. It's like an alternate history almost, since those innovations are almost useless to a more modern game, but they work well in this style. I'm mostly talking about the fight command. Great idea there. The combo system is pretty great too. And the attacks that use multiple characters are not so much a very new innovation, but it is something that came afterwards and seems innovative in a game that feels older than that.

My one nitpick so far is that the world map is kind of busy. At least so far it seems like you guys were afraid of using a more blank tile for a bit. It's kind of hard to tell where you can pass and where you can't at first, and even when you figure that out it's still slightly weird.

I'm glad you're liking it so far :) As for the fanfare music, you know, you're probably the 2nd or third person to mention it, and while I personally like it fine as it is, it would have been awesome if we could just just the right tune for that. But given our resources we picked one that we both liked and think it works, but opinions on that particular tune have varied understandably. Fortunately it's only a small part of the soundtrack; all the good stuff is the world, towns, dungeon music and what not :)

Also I find your feedback on the world map very interesting (mostly since I made the world map :P). It started out quite a bit more plain and blank I guess you can call it... but I decided that in the interest of gameplay, I varied it up a lot more than it was so that the player would be able to traverse a few more different environments than the grasslands in getting from point to point. And also have the player maneuver around things rather than taking straight shots to each destination. But I can totally see where you're coming from.

xa52 wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »
    Any chances of seeing BoD on the zune or WinPhone7?

Given that I'm the programmer and own neither of those, it's highly unlikely.

What about just PC? I own neither of those, nor an xbox, but this game sounds outstanding.

Heheh, I've talked to RBD about this personally, and about other platforms. But we both thought about it and did some research, and we discovered a few things. The problem with porting is that we could be spending that time making another game, essentially. There are only 2 of us, after all. And secondly, we're both a bit wary of piracy issues on the PC. But over all our experience has taught us that Xbox Live Indie Games is an extremely welcoming platform for indie developers. It's got the comfort of universal hardware (so if your game works in testing it works for everyone), it has far less of an issue with piracy than other platforms, and it has a fantastic XNA community group of individuals that all help each other out with every step of the development process. And while MS takes 30% of revenue and doesn't promote XBLIG as a service that much, it still goes up on the marketplace and up on the dashboard (if your game does well enough).

Plus RBD (and now me) have a lot more experience working with the 360 and the XBLIG service and it's just a lot more comfortable and smoother to stick where we are.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm glad you're liking it so far :) As for the fanfare music, you know, you're probably the 2nd or third person to mention it, and while I personally like it fine as it is, it would have been awesome if we could just just the right tune for that. But given our resources we picked one that we both liked and think it works, but opinions on that particular tune have varied understandably. Fortunately it's only a small part of the soundtrack; all the good stuff is the world, towns, dungeon music and what not :)

Also I find your feedback on the world map very interesting (mostly since I made the world map :P). It started out quite a bit more plain and blank I guess you can call it... but I decided that in the interest of gameplay, I varied it up a lot more than it was so that the player would be able to traverse a few more different environments than the grasslands in getting from point to point. And also have the player maneuver around things rather than taking straight shots to each destination. But I can totally see where you're coming from.

I think it's more of the look of some of the things. I don't have it on now, but I remember some paler looking hill things that I didn't think you could walk over at first, because they don't really look like something that you could in an old RPG like this, but then I discovered you could. It's just kind of odd, but it is a very very small nitpick.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think it's more of the look of some of the things. I don't have it on now, but I remember some paler looking hill things that I didn't think you could walk over at first, because they don't really look like something that you could in an old RPG like this, but then I discovered you could. It's just kind of odd, but it is a very very small nitpick.

Ah i know what you're talking about. There are little smaller orangish mountains that you can cross. I see what you mean.

Well anyway.. you can cross those!

slash000 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh hey look, i bought breath of death vii

will probably have time to play and rate it over the weekend

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Congrats, guys

Your game's been out for like twelve hours and it's already the fifth highest-rated indie game on XBL

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    oh hey look, i bought breath of death vii

will probably have time to play and rate it over the weekend

That'd be awesome! I love hearing feedback from everyone :)

Congrats, guys

Your game's been out for like twelve hours and it's already the fifth highest-rated indie game on XBL

It's pretty exciting! We put tons of love into this game (as well as blood/sweat/tears), so it's great to see that our efforts we spent polishing things are showing through. The playtesting phase really helped a lot, the XNA community is great and provided lots of feedback which in turn helped us to polish the game and improve it in lots of ways.

slash000 on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I bought Breath of Death too. I like it!!

One thing I don't like is how you regain all of your HP after a battle. It works as a disincentive to ever, ever use magic or techs during random battles because there's no value in preventing (non-mortal) damage to your characters.

But I'm a game design snob, so heck. The battle system is great either way.

Also, I enjoyed
    the "Shepherd!" "Rex!" joke

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the support! :)

The first section of the game is rather easy (by design) to get the player acquainted with the game. You'll notice that you'll need to start using magic and techs in random battles pretty soon once you pass the first "big" dungeon (graveyard mountain pass), I think. Anyway my recommendation is to keep going and as you gain some techs and other party members, the difficulty will have sloped upward and you'll start using Magic and techs quite a bit. (the reason being is that enemies start getting tougher and you end up not being able to just use the default attack; and if you don't start doing damage, the rounds pass and enemies start buffing really fast, and if you don't start using combo-powered techs you might start getting hammered heavily by enemies).

slash000 on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How do XNA developers get paid again?

Congratulations on the release, though I have no 360. :P

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    How do XNA developers get paid again?

Congratulations on the release, though I have no 360. :P

I don't know the details exactly, but here's what I'm pretty sure of: Your game starts to sell. Then every quarter of the year, MS tallies up the sales. MS takes 30% of the sales revenue. The rest goes to the developer. I believe they just send a check, but I'm not sure on that.

slash000 on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I bought Breath of Death and am loving it so far :^:

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bought BoD via internets from work and it awaits me in my download queue when I get home.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the support! :)

The first section of the game is rather easy (by design) to get the player acquainted with the game. You'll notice that you'll need to start using magic and techs in random battles pretty soon once you pass the first "big" dungeon (graveyard mountain pass), I think. Anyway my recommendation is to keep going and as you gain some techs and other party members, the difficulty will have sloped upward and you'll start using Magic and techs quite a bit. (the reason being is that enemies start getting tougher and you end up not being able to just use the default attack; and if you don't start doing damage, the rounds pass and enemies start buffing really fast, and if you don't start using combo-powered techs you might start getting hammered heavily by enemies).

Well, I don't have a problem with the difficulty in general, and when the enemies are capable of killing you, it's a great battle system. But it's the nature of an RPG like this that enemies become easier to kill as you get stronger, and when you're fighting easy-enough enemies, there's no reason at all to do anything besides mash A. In other games, you'd have to make a choice between taking some damage from the enemies, or wiping them out using your magic/techs.

I just think the best RPG battle systems are the ones where even easy battles reward you for using strategy. It's a relatively small complaint, though, and hell, most other RPGs are worse about this kind of thing anyway.

I have four party members already. That's all of them, right?

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I can say without hesitance that this is the best (console) J(style)RPG that I've played this gen

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Better than FF13? :P

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    FFXIII gave me leprosy

If you want a game that is about a hojillion times better than FFXIII, give BoD a try

UnbreakableVow on