As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NightDragon's Prettiest Princess [CHAT] for Girls (Boys Shunned at Door)

• Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    I read The Call of Cthulhu but I didn't really see what all the fuss was about. Maybe I just need to read it again.

You need to view the book in a mirror, using another mirror to look at that mirror and enable you to read it, and you need to be stood inside an Elder Sign scrawled on the floor of an Innsmouth warehouse, paying keen attention to the sounds of the whipporwills awaiting to catch your soul.

It pretty much comes into its own then.
    Actually, CoC is one of my least favourite stories. I think The Dunwich Horror might be my fave. If you're wanting to give the books a bit more life, you should totally give the Radio Dramatisations produced by HPLHS a go: http://www.cthulhulives.org/toc.html

Grenn on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I want to read that. Seems like something that influenced generations of authors, filmmakers, and other artists probably has some gold in it.

Finally finished All Quiet on the Western Front.

Tam on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wooo! Yesterday was awesome! And I made money, too!

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Wooo! Yesterday was awesome! And I made money, too!

What'dya do spex?

Flay on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Every last friday of the month I provide live drawings for a local Poetry Slam thing. I draw the performers or scenes from their poems or just whatever I can think of, and it gets shown on a screen for everybody to see courtesy of an overhead projector.

I did it again yesterday, because we couldn't hold the poetry slam last week on account of a national holiday, and it was a big success. Everybody liked the drawings and I even sold a few to some of the participants. It was a lot of fun all around.

I also got asked to possibly do some cartooning for an annual cultural magazine thing some of the people in the local art scene put out. For free, since everybody there works on the thing for free, too, but still! It'd be a lot of fun to do, plus it'll help get my name out there for later.

I also brought my Judas Priest and Gorillaz albums to play on the big sound system at the local theatre during breaks and after the show was over, so the music was excellent as well.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I went to IKEA today.

I bought a fake plant.

I have arrived in the 21st Century.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    Finally finished All Quiet on the Western Front.

Oh poor Kat, his was the most depressing end.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    beavotron wrote: »
    Paradise wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    Paradise wrote: »
    Beavo, I just visited your website. You did three years of neuroscience at Dalhousie University? What?

Do you mind explaining?

she studied neuroscience for a while but then found she preferred art

Well yeah Tam, I figured it was something like that :P, but things get more detailed and nuanced from story to personal story.

Like in my case, last year I made a decision to go into pre-med. But the decision wasn't just like, "Fuck art. I'd rather be a doctor." It was more complicated than that. I love art; I was all ready to go to art school (probably animation, hadn't yet decided), but then some stuff happened. My grandpa (a great guy and my number one artistic role model) found out he had stage IV lung cancer. It was horrible, but with the help of his doctors, he has made an incredible recovery. The whole process was amazing to witness. And yeah, other factors contributed to my choice of pre-med, but that particular scenario was principle among them. My grandpa's doctors did great work, and it was very inspiring. My point here is: that's just a little part of my story thus far; life can get very complicated.

Beavo's story sounds interesting because she's obviously a successful artist, and it seems like she hasn't had the most typical background for being an artist. She does great work that I personally respect and love to look at, but maybe she didn't start out wanting to be an artist. Maybe her personal history has been more complicated than "she studied neuroscience for a while but then found she preferred art". People's stories deserve to be told, and details are the spice of life.
    Also, two of my friends are going to school for neuroscience. They're not very deep into their programs, but they both seem to like it so far. For my own future, I'm not ruling it out as a potential career path.

Sorry if any of this is at all incomprehensible. I had an A&P lab final today, and I was up most of last night.

cool story!
    neuroscience was sort of the "safe" move for me
    i've always loved both science and art, science just happens to lead to professions (med) that make a lot more money than most artist positions can
    I quickly realized (maybe not so quickly... it took me 4 years) that in order to be happy, you can't always take the safe route
    and I've stuck to that mentality since
    and it has gotten me what a lot of people call luck, what i call "stick to your shit, do what makes you happy, don't just follow what's popular and what people tell you you should be doing and good things will come of it..." throw a bit of good timing into the mix and it all starts to come up roses.

Congratulatuatiosnsndosinds Beabovsotsoemsrosirsm

PROX on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nah. It was just some spinach and romaine (because I dont know how to build a proper salad), and a small amount of dressing. I washed the veggies. Apparently not diligently enough.

uuuuuuh how have you been feeling lately? Because I just read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100507/ap_on_bi_ge/us_lettuce_recall

I'm feeling pretty okay. Still out of whack as far as digestion goes but I'll pull through. I bough my lettuce from walmart.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nah. It was just some spinach and romaine (because I dont know how to build a proper salad), and a small amount of dressing. I washed the veggies. Apparently not diligently enough.

uuuuuuh how have you been feeling lately? Because I just read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100507/ap_on_bi_ge/us_lettuce_recall

I'm feeling pretty okay. Still out of whack as far as digestion goes but I'll pull through. I bough my lettuce from walmart.

Oh god more than half of the comments for that article are incredibly racist

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hooray Past-Me for putting egg and cheese in my salad.

Present-Me forgot about it and now it's a delicious surprise!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Oh god more than half of the comments for that article are incredibly racist

Yeah...I've decided to not read any comments made on any article I read...they're always made by the most ignorant, asshole fucks, and make me angry.

[edit] it also amazes me how many idiots think that every thing going wrong is genuinely Obama's fault. Somali pirates!? OMG OBAMA WTF. Stock market hit a downturn due to things going on in other countries? OBAMA.

argh

NightDragon on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    think i will make egg, cheese and chicken salad for lunch actually

mully on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My hiccups won't go away X(

Veritas on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a car!

For all of one week.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I saw Kick-Ass and Cube2: Hypercube yesterday, which were both awesome

Kick-Ass was really good. It was less violent than some reviews led me to believe. Still had an 11 year old getting beat up, though.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    just saw kick-ass too.
    It was a lot better than I had expected. It's even led me to designing my own costume right now ^^

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    m3nace wrote: »
    just saw kick-ass too.
    It was a lot better than I had expected. It's even led me to designing my own costume right now ^^

Just for parties, I hope, because otherwise, it's a retarded idea.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    haha
    nono, not gonna be a masked hero x)

by the way, if you hear about a masked vigilante dressed in a black and blue suit with light armor on it calling himself "the menace", then it's totally not me

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man that "Show off" thread in SE...

Sort of puts your own life into depressing perspective.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    well two months worth of struggle and preparation nearing a close.. fuck im nervous.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ken i just went to your website for the first time in...maybe ever i dunno
    and wow, i just had to congratulate you on some awesome illustration work :D

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Veritas wrote: »

Exhale then hold it for as long as you can. Failing that, sculling a glass of water usually works.

Flay on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man that "Show off" thread in SE...

Sort of puts your own life into depressing perspective.

:<

I just posted in there - sometimes its nice to brag even if most of the time you don't feel like you are worth it. Its the curse I guess.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    IgneusToastusIgneusToastus regular
    edited May 2010

Exhale then hold it for as long as you can. Failing that, sculling a glass of water usually works.

^ This, also I find that inhaling and concentrating really hard on counting back from a 100 till you have to breath also works.

IgneusToastus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, I'm not trying to be all mopey and self depreciating. Because I have a few things going for me.

But some of those people are pretty awesome.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sometimes I think it can be pretty awesome to see what other people have accomplished...it's impressive...and also sometimes oddly motivating to me, like "wow, real people can do those things! And are doing them!"

I switch between feeling a little full of / proud of myself and feeling a crippling sense of failure (in any and all aspects of my life)

This past year I've slowly tried to force myself to allow myself some pride, just so I can pat myself on the back and say "you've got a lot going for you! You've done a lot of good things! You're pretty alright, dawg!"...and hope that I slowly gain more confidence in myself and don't feel like an ugly-loser-failure undeserving of respect or love from anyone

Also surrounding myself with dogs is a pretty good tactic here

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    I'm good at...uh....

Making posts on the internet?

:?

This exercise isn't proving to be the ego boost I was hoping for.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    But think about how many seniors and third-world inhabitants can't do this!

Truly your ability is a unique one

NightDragon on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OOMG cutest puppy
    uploading pics

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    But think about how many seniors and third-world inhabitants can't do this!

Truly your ability is a unique one

Your implication that I should move to a retirement home in Malawi in order to feel good about myself feels a tad short-sighted.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OOMG cutest puppy
    uploading pics

Not fast enough.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

^ This, also I find that inhaling and concentrating really hard on counting back from a 100 till you have to breath also works.

I should have added an edit. They went away about 8 minutes after posting but it took a lot of varied breath holding/breathing/water drinking methods.

Also if they hadn't gone away then your advice would have been too late, I would have killed myself at the 6 hours of hiccups mark :p

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Whenever I look at something I've worked on, the things I could have done better always stick out more to me than the things I've done well. :?

Flay on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I should have added an edit. They went away about 8 minutes after posting but it took a lot of varied breath holding/breathing/water drinking methods.

Also if they hadn't gone away then your advice would have been too late, I would have killed myself at the 6 hours of hiccups mark :p

Haha, good to know that the hiccups resolved itself before the 6 hour mark then. :)

IgneusToastus on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hay guys
    DSCN0533.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Awwwww.

For some reason, the eyes remind me of those dogs from Psychonauts.

That makes it even more awesome.

IgneusToastus on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I went to IHOP for the first time today.
    panckaessmall.jpg

It was good.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Last time I went there they fucked up my order. And I had to sit next to my grandma and aunt in the smoking section.

So not that enjoyable.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Who smokes while they're eating? Seriously. Take that shit outside.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
This discussion has been closed.