As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My spaghetti bolognese tastes awful (but not anymore! RESOLVED)

2»

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i find sugar compensates for shorter simmering time if you don't want the acidity

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    everyone who's said not to use olive oil is heathen! you need a good olive oil at the start for sauteing your onions and if you're feeling indulgent a drizzle to finish it, too. if you're burning your onions in that, you're cooking too hot.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay, I have a new pot of not-bolognese-because-it-doesn't-have-carrots-and-celery-in-it simmering on the stove now. It already smells way better than yesterday's effort, but we'll see how it tastes in an hour or two.

Main things I've done differently:
    - Drained the meat. I also cooked it in a seperate pan from everything else, to make sure none of the juices got mixed in. Last time I cooked it on top of the onions, and it smelled kinda gross as soon as the juice leaked out; this time, own its own, it smelt fine. (It's the same meat from the same packet as yesterday, so it's definitely the method that's doing it.) Oh, and I fried it in a mix of olive oil and butter.
    - Fried the onions in shitloads of olive oil till they were merely translucent.
    - Used like half the tube of tomato pureé.
    - Added a generous splash of Worcestershire sauce -- this is a substitute for wine, which I didn't get a chance to buy today.
    - Pure oregano rather than mixed herbs, and more of it.
    - A pinch of sugar.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    you can't go too wrong from here. add salt if it needs it (it will, if you haven't added any yet) but make sure you taste as you add to make sure you don't go overboard

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    New issue raising its head: I don't think the heat is low enough. The liquid is evaporating quite quickly, even though I keep adding water to it. I use a gas hob, and I have the pot (large, stainless steel) on the smallest ring on the lowest heat. Should I just keep adding water when it gets too dry?

Oh man I am the noobest cooking noob that ever noobed

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    add some water and cover it

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I know to keep it covered. The lid has a wee hole in it to let steam escape, though.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it really shouldn't be losing too much liquid if it's covered and you aren't opening it every thirty seconds. the hole is normal. don't stress if it seems super steamy in there and wet inside the lid, that's supposed to happen. the water will work its way back into the sauce.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread inspired me to create a bolognese of sorts. I used some ground buffalo I was saving for something else and some pancetta. Still simmering but it already tastes great.

I like to let it cook down instead of covering it.

Fraz on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, maybe I'm just checking it too frequently, then. It's not the water loss that bothering me so much as the risk of the meat burning. Whenever I check it it's starting to stick to the bottom in a threatening manner, so I feel that I really need to stir every ten minutes or so. (I have cremated dinner before due to not checking frequently enough.)

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That should work, right? Am I missing an ingredient or cooking something incorrectly? I've been told that the problem might be that I'm using crappy meat, but that sounds like an excuse. Sure, poor quality [strike]water[/strike]meat won't taste as good as high quality meat, but this tastes awful. I'm certain that most people could do a better job with these ingredients.

Quality ingredients are the key to quality food.

Lean Mince (preferably meat that hasn't gone through a freezer). Low quality and frozen meats will tend to have the rancid flavour that you're describing (you can cover that up if you get EVERYTHING else right, but you really need to know what you're doing).

ROMA Tomatoes - any good red italian sauce should use roma. It's a really thick, meaty, low-seed tomato. This will solve any bitterness problems people claim to have with tomatoes.

Also, adding sugar? wtf? Sugar is for cakes. If you need some sweetness, have a cinnamon stick in while you simmer (and remove when complete).

You should never need to be adding water. Use red wine and stock to do your simmering - you should be using about equal quantities of non-water liquids to meat (ie, 500g should have about 300ml of stock and 200ml of red wine) - a little less is fine, but anything less than 1/2 as much would really be pushing it. Any red wine that you find drinkable is fine.

Fresh Herbs add a bit too, but that mainly makes the leap from great to incredible - dried is fine if you're just aiming for good. If you add salt or pepper, use a grinder.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    cinnamon isn't sweetness, it's just a spice that is associated with sweetness because it's used in desserts a lot

trust me, sugar is key. you don't want the thing to taste like chocolate syrup, obviously, but it's a huge help in creating a rich, complex sauce with balanced flavours

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Okay so I'm eating it now. It's way more delicious than yesterday's. :D Thank you, Help/Advice forum!

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, about the draining the meat thing. Is this always the case when you brown meat off in another pan? Like, if I make chili and cook the meat somewhere other than the pot the chili is in, I should strain the grease off before adding it to the pot? All of the grease?

Underdog on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well unless you want to have a lot of fat in your dish, it's recommended to drain the grease.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Underdog wrote: »
    Wait, about the draining the meat thing. Is this always the case when you brown meat off in another pan? Like, if I make chili and cook the meat somewhere other than the pot the chili is in, I should strain the grease off before adding it to the pot? All of the grease?

Always drain the grease unless the recipe calls for you to keep it - it doesn't have to be bone dry, but you want to get as much as you can get easily. The drainage is almost entirely fat and water, which isn't really good eats.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only reason I see to keep grease is when your meat would end up being dry without it. Obviously in chilly or sauce dryness wont be an issue.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
This discussion has been closed.