As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ar tonelico, inserting crystals and NSFW?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    I've nearly finished one playthrough and the only complaint I have is how annoying the random encounters are when you're backtracking in a lower level area. Maybe I should just stock up on the piggies.

Just flee a battle if you don't want to fight it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    I think the third reyvatail soundtrack Strifer was mentioning is one with Claire on the cover, in addition to Aurica and Misha.

http://chudahs-corner.com/soundtracks/index.php?catalog=KDSD-10018

4 soundtracks for one game? That's beyond milking something. I like the music in the game, especially the weird chanting in the special Hymn songs, but to get all those soundtracks would be 100 bucks or so. No game has music that good.

I definitely like the Reyvateil soundtracks and thus I can't agree with the milking argument. It's still a little unwieldy to release the soundtrack in four parts, but the music there (on the Reyvateil CDs) is definitely no crappy rehash. You should at least give them a try to see if they are worth it.

I will mention that I haven't heard the main soundtrack to the game so I have no idea if there are repeats in any of these soundtracks, but to my knowledge there are none.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    MillbuddahMillbuddah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, I have to say I wasn't expecting to enjoy the game as much as I am. Skimming through a faq, it seems I'm close to a deciding point between Misha and Aurica. So, for those that are a bit further ahead or have finished already, who would be a better choice to go with? I'm kinda leaning towards Aurica since she seems more helpless/has a hot outfit :lol: Would I be missing out on anything besides some story elements going with either girl?

Millbuddah on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Millbuddah wrote: »
    Wow, I have to say I wasn't expecting to enjoy the game as much as I am. Skimming through a faq, it seems I'm close to a deciding point between Misha and Aurica. So, for those that are a bit further ahead or have finished already, who would be a better choice to go with? I'm kinda leaning towards Aurica since she seems more helpless/has a hot outfit :lol: Would I be missing out on anything besides some story elements going with either girl?

Just keep a save before you make the decision. Depending on which path you take, you get different party members.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, this game has officially pissed me the fuck off.

This is the second time I've been forced to use a character configuration other than the one I've chosen consisting of characters with sub-standard equipment and abilities for a major battle.
    Why do they keep forcing me to use that useless fucking bitch shurelia? Misha is like a tiny god. I could obliterate this punk in seconds, but noooo! You have to use Shurelia.
    Yes, I realize Shurelia is hot shit, but I put Misha in my formation and I'd like to use her if there's not any compelling reason not to.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Shurelia becomes the best by far with just a little Cosmosphere diving. She gets spells that are much more effective than the others, and she gets more uses, too.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Shurelia becomes the best by far with just a little Cosmosphere diving. She gets spells that are much more effective than the others, and she gets more uses, too.
    Yes, she has better spells, but I was concentrating on Misha this run-through and I never got to the point with Shurelia that I could even install with her. It just really annoyed me that they forced me to use her for no damn reason. Maybe I'm not being reasonable, but there it is. Doesn't really matter anymore anyway, I beat the game. Now for Aurica.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have finally gotten around to playing this game (why is it that BestBuy, EBGames and GameSpot don't seem to have copies, except way out of the way from where I live?), and it's really nifty.

At first, I was a bit put off by the graphics, but then I realized that there's nothing wrong with sprites and static backgrounds. In fact, some of the backgrounds are great, and once you've played any RPG for a while, you don't notice the graphical style anyways. It has a lot of life, and style, and I enjoy it.

I also quite like the relationship building and conversations. I probably prefer them to the exploration and combat, actually. The story is motivating me more than the rest of the gameplay. This is not to say that I don't like the rest of the gameplay, though.

The singing themes are really nifty, and the way that they are used in combat is also really cool. I remember seeing someone criticize the fact that trying to charge up songs tends to prolong combat. Really, though, I consider that to be optional. I do it because I'd rather get chunks of DP. Also, I can think of situations in other RPGs where you tend to prolong a certain combat because you need to do something special rather than simply killing them. Anything relating to creature capture, for instance. I also enjoy the mana usage, or really the deemphasis on mana management. You manage the Revytail mana, but the rest of the skills are based upon health consumption (at least, so far). And even when you run out of mana, it recharges quickly, so it's more about figuring out how to prolong a single song, if necessary, rather than trying to preserve mana at all costs.

I haven't read a chunk of the end of this thread, since I'm not terribly far along, but I wanted to contribute some praise to the game. I really like the dialog, and am finding it interesting and fun.

"I can't tell you what really happened. But trust me, it's an amazing story, and I know Spica's natural hair color."

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Finally finished. Misha ending.

The final boss was much, much harder than I expected. If it wasn't for Prophecy, it would've been over.
    Shurelia was a lifesaver. Even Mir alone was a tough fight(instant death to Reyvateil = not cool).

Why did Shurelia have to throw a choice like that at Lyner at the very end. He would have to be a jerk to ditch Misha at that point. I think I'd rather go for a Shurelia ending where I don't have to break Misha's heart in the process.

It was an enjoyable trip. I'd really love to get one of the vocal albums, but I have no idea which is which.

My favorite song in the OST is probably The Voice of A Pair of Lives AE(but the original version is nice too).

There's another intense vocal track that was used as a battle theme that's not in the in-game music player, but I can't remember what it was.

I don't have any character cards. Ech. I could've sworn I had bought a few, but oh well. I didn thave that kind of cash to spend.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah seriously, the last boss is way harder than anything else in the game. It took me 2 tries just to figure out what I was doing.
    Why were all the parts labeled the same?! If they had just named it like Mir Head and Mir Arm and Mir Torso, it would've been so much easier for me to figure out I was attacking 3 seperate sections. But because they could heal, I could never really figure out if I was doing any damage at all.

I also didn't like the choice of "Be a jerk and break a girls heart or be an even bigger jerk and break a girls heart." Fucking Shurelia.

Also, it shouldn't be too hard to get some character cards. You can save after the last boss so just go crazy and spend all your money on cards and then watch the ending again to make it save.
    Or if you didn't get Shurelia's ending, choose it so you get to see both endings and unlock the final costume for Shurelia in the extra gallery. Like all the others though, it can't be used. It's just there for looks.

Also, you do know you're buying card PACKS right? You have to go into your menu and actually use them to get anything out of them.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ar Tonelico 2 anyone?

Which begs the question: PAL release?

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    A sequel?! That will be awesome. I think that site will be releasing more info on friday because at the end, I'm pretty sure I saw 4/20. Hopefully it'll come out over here but unless sony demands that all publishers and developers quit working on anything PS2 related, I don't see why it shouldn't.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gust do love their sequels, and the RPGfan article said it was successful, so it's not too surprising. If it gets more of the same awesome music, I'm there. I bet it'll use new characters and such; they'll probably pull an Eternal Blue(taking place way in the future).

And what really got me about the final boss was that I destroyed the segments with the most HP first, and the final segment was still the strongest one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Gust do love their sequels, and the RPGfan article said it was successful, so it's not too surprising. If it gets more of the same awesome music, I'm there. I bet it'll use new characters and such; they'll probably pull an Eternal Blue(taking place way in the future).

And what really got me about the final boss was that I destroyed the segments with the most HP first, and the final segment was still the strongest one.

Maybe it had less HP, but more defense and/or resistances.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Still, will there be a PAL release for the first Ar Tonelico?

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So have you guys checked out that AT2 website out yet? I just checked it again today. They have 2 wallpapers up, one is NSFW as it shows some ass. I want someone to translate the system stuff though because I really want to know what's up with the "Replikia" thing or whatever they called it and what looks to be strategy hot springs? I dunno. This game looks like it'll have even more innuendo though, judging from the hot springs and the wallpaper. It better come out over here or there will be hell to pay.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I have no idea what any of the content says, but the music is nice.
    (The page took forever to load.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh yeah, that page takes forever to load for some reason. I kept closing the window it popped up in thinking it wasn't working. Then all of a sudden the loading bar finally shows up and says 89%.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    A few of those screens have a LOT of characters on screen. I hope it's not just cutscenes and we have some epic battles.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I still haven't beaten the first game because I have to go and collect some retarded grass to make some item. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My one hope for the sequel is they fix the weirdness of the text and stuff because for some reason, it was one of those games where the text becomes unreadable on my TV if it's up for too long. It vibrates or something. It's odd.

Dashui, why don't you look online for help? Or ask us. We might remember where the grass is. There's only about 3 items you absolutely must make in the story so I might remember.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I still haven't beaten the first game because I have to go and collect some retarded grass to make some item. :(

You'll be doing that a lot more if you want to reach the end of the cosmospheres.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My one hope for the sequel is they fix the weirdness of the text and stuff because for some reason, it was one of those games where the text becomes unreadable on my TV if it's up for too long. It vibrates or something. It's odd.

Never happened to me... what kind of TV?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I kept having lag issues, but I hear those are common.

And the main character of the sequel looks more serious, which is good.
    (I thought it was a girl at first.)

What's this Replekia stuff about? Leading an army of Reyvateils?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Never happened to me... what kind of TV?

I'm not knowledgeable on TV's or anything but I think it's just a flat CRT. It's not from a big company (Apex or something) and we got it cheap but I doubt it's that because otherwise it's perfect. We've had it for about 5 years now and that weird text thing is the only problem we've ever had with it. I'm trying to think of another game that did the same thing.

Cj, if they had an army of Reyvatails, that would be so awesome. They could even make the story about a Reyvatail war or something and make a big epic battle where you fight hundreds of soldiers with Reyvatails.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Apex TVs are great. It's the same one I use, and it's lasted four years.

And yeah, they definitely need to up the difficulty for the sequel. It usually doesn't bother me one way or another, but the first game was too easy for all the potential it had to be difficult. (Only the final boss actually proved a challenge, and that was just overkill.)

I'm betting the Replika stuff has something to do with Reyvateil stat improvement, like almost everything else.
    Also, more branching conversations would be good. No decisions in AT1 really change anything. You either get one Reyvateil, or another.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah I'm honestly surprised at how good the TV is for the 100 or so we spent on it. It was replacing our nearly dead one. That TV was seriously on its last leg. If there was any orange, red, or yellow on screen, the TV would practically have a seizure. I remember the final straw was when I was trying to play Zelda 2 on my collectors disc. One cave had lava bricks or something. TV damn near exploded.

Anyway, yeah a challenge would be good. Make some of those other spells worth using. Except on bosses, I really never used anything but energy ball. Those stat upping spells were pretty much useless.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so while i cant say anything official, because i dont know anything official, i wouldnt be surprised if we bring over the sequel. im pretty sure we'll have the opportunity to do so, if we so desire (read: if our boss/president so desires)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    so while i cant say anything official, because i dont know anything official, i wouldnt be surprised if we bring over the sequel. im pretty sure we'll have the opportunity to do so, if we so desire (read: if our boss/president so desires)

Houk, I want you to immediately apply to do some text stuff. Please. There were just a few too many typos that I know you would spot. I'm talking stuff like their and there.

Incidentally, hasn't NISA been bringing over pretty much all Gust games? I always thought we would get this but I'm just hoping Sony doesn't pull some bullshit on american publishers and developers saying they can't do anymore PS2 stuff.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    And while you're at it, call up Geneon and have them localize AT's anime. Something to lessen the sting of the Disgaea one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    And while you're at it, call up Geneon and have them localize AT's anime. Something to lessen the sting of the Disgaea one.

I sense an idea for an awesome pre-order bonus. It's only an OVA though right? I saw that. If it got an actual series, I would punch myself for not knowing about it.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think it is. That'd be even better. If the .hack people can get that, why not us?

Then again, Namco-Bandai have a lot more money to throw around...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Guys, the OVA is pretty lame.

No, wait... it's REALLY lame.

Like "I wish I hadn't watched it" lame.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Does it at least have the same quality music?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Dark Primus, I do have to agree. It was pretty lame. However, I'd still like to see it dubbed and it's kind of interesting to watch, if only for seeing Radolf kicking ass at the beginning.

Cj, I seem to remember it still had some of the music but I didn't get very good sound quality. I think I need to rewatch it in VLC.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    They used the game tracks, but I don't even remember hearing many songs.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    well, if we do this one, it'll probably go to the same guy. however, knowing now how bad some of the typos were in the first one, i would definitely ask him to send me the files for a nice, thorough proofread.

as for the OVA...i quail at the thought of doing a lip-sync localization. terrifying...thank god i wouldnt have to do it anyway.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    well, if we do this one, it'll probably go to the same guy. however, knowing now how bad some of the typos were in the first one, i would definitely ask him to send me the files for a nice, thorough proofread.

as for the OVA...i quail at the thought of doing a lip-sync localization. terrifying...thank god i wouldnt have to do it anyway.

Yes. We demand a proofread! I'm not expecting the OVA to be dubbed, although it would be neat, but I'd be satisfied with another artbook. The only problem I had with the first one is it was so new, it creaked when I opened it up. It's like it needed to be oiled or something. But it was hardcover and that is many kinds of awesome.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Okay, I am kinda late to the AT2 party here, but I shall attempt to translate the names of the main character and the two girls, who are most likely the main Reyvateils like Misha and Aurica.

The guy's name appears to be Kura__ Bateha. I can't make out the last character of his first name, it looks like a "P" and isn't hiragana, katakana, or any kanji I know of.

Ruka Tsururiwasu is the smaller girl.

And Uroshie Reteru Pasutarie is the obligatory well-endowed girl.

I really need to get around the beating AT. I stopped at the very beginning of Phase 3. I will beat it after Odin Sphere, I swear.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    GuerillahTacTikzGuerillahTacTikz Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    Aoi wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Well, two hours in... it's gotten a lot better. More characters, lots more fun added to the battle system(Songs ftw), and the conversation system looks like it'll be just as good as I hoped.

Also, hiphop battle music. That must be really popular for some reason.
    when we were first playing through the game, we used debug to get to a boss fight. we were talking, not really paying attention, when that music started playing. we honestly thought someone in the office was singing it. also, that same song (the lyrics, anyway) appear in the PS1 game Bust a Groove. I don't remember now which character has it.

O_o What are the lyrics? I played the BAM games so much that the music is burned into my brain.
    all i remember is 'causing much mayhem dropping drama'. if you remember whose song it is please tell me. its eating me up inside.

Old ass post, I was looking for the exact same information. I knew that the rap was used in BaM for Pinky's stage, also as someone mentioned earlier it is used in DDR's Put Your Faith In Me credited to Uzi-Lay. Over in Ar Tonelico the song is titled Audhumla. I'll like up youtubes to each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvsGAs_D_bo - Audhumla, Ar Tonelico
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvnvKSSV-gc - Put Your Faith In Me - Uzi-Lay, DDR (multiple mixes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-g71twggo - I Know - Pinky's Stage, Bust a Move/Bust a Groove in US

The rap in Put Your Faith in me is:
    Causing much mayhem, dropping drama
    Radical rebel with the need to bomb ya
    Fake MCs and I'll hang them higher
    The mic is my time, to pay the piper

Crime is blind going off, as I kick them
    You and the beat, portrayed as the victim
    Maniac, as the cuts, denounces
    Supreme, with the war and challenges
    Graceful...

Born and raised in Chicago crook country,
    Mike is the only raised hell like Damian
    Pushed through your chest, like the creature in alien,
    Pray, like a phantom, on the loose
    Hold still while I get the noose

I got the brain in my skull

The plans I hold, so dupe, you can't cope
    Deadly...

The same rap is slightly altered in Bust a Move

(Causing much mayhem, droppin' drama.
    Radical rebel with a need to bomber.
    Fake MCs dare not hang 'em higher,
    The mic is mine time to pay the piper.
    Kick this up, so not gonna assume
    I'm slick, gotta mic to prove.
    Have ya asses movin for my startin' time.
    Nigga' move!)

GuerillahTacTikz on