As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minmaxer, minmaxer, make me a max... 4E character creation

SonarSonar Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Critical Failures
I need some help.

I'm going to join up with a group and need a build for a rogue. I'm playing a rogue because the party needs one, I've never played one before. I'm also a role player and this group is pretty much only combat. The DM seems nice enough but very controling.

However groups are hard to find in Richmond, and everyone seems to shower regularly which is a plus so I'm going to give it a go.

Since I don't play rogues normally, it's pretty much just combat, and the group is large anyway I want advice on a rogue built as a min max.

I'm looking for a killing machine to compliment the fighters, a deep striker on the battlefield, picking locks and traps are secondary. I want to make combat go by faster and put the monsters down.

The concept is a pirate for roleplaying style. Not that it matters much.

I have the guide, forgotten realms setting, players faerun guide, races of faerun, and underdark.

And the character has to be good and can't be a drow. Drizzt need not apply.

Please let your wildest fantasy go here. I want a combat monster.

Thanks!

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
steam_sig.png
caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
Sonar on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, 9th level. I'm starting a level below everyone else, which absolves my concious about gaming the game.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why does the party need a rogue? There are several melee strikers to choose from that can be just as effective. Is this a trap heavy campaign?

Someone put up a rogue's optimization handbook on the wizard forums, might be a good place to start:
    http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22953353/Dirty_Deeds..._Done_Dirt_Cheap:_The_Rogues_Handbook

Edit: Since you are so close to paragon, half-elf might be a good idea to get that feat that allows the dilletante power to be an at will.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The party has:

barbarian
    fighter
    wizard
    warlock
    ranger
    something else I can't remember off had.

mostly elves with a dwarf and halforc thrown in.

Honestly I'd rather be a bard but it's not in the books I have. I want somehng rogueish in the swashbuckling, suave sense. That is I want to play roguishly and be a sneaky bastard on the field. I don't give a crap about disarming traps.

If the community builds his characte I'll make a game of it, and give you regular reports.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That party is already really striker-heavy. Barbarian and ranger are hefty, warlock can be decent. No leader, though, unless that's the other one. But sneaky and leader don't go well. Bard would be the best option as a compromise, but if you don't have the books you don't have them.

If you're willing to throw $10 at WotC, you can download the character builder from their site, which includes all the classes, races, and such from all the source books plus Dragon and Dungeon magazine.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    With that list of players I'd roll up a cleric.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bards are awesome and tons of fun, especially cunning bards. Worth your 10$ to get the character builder.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rogue killing machine? Easy enough. I've got a halfling butcher on Character Builder at home that I can post to after work, but really just go 20 Dex, 16 Cha, and follow your heart with powers and feats and you should do alright by yourself.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cleric was the other one I'd forgotten. Duh.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here

this will kill everyone if you play it right

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Roll Swordmage.

Full stop.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Here's my min-maxed attempt: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1791

25 AC (29 vs Opportunity Attacks), +17 to hit, +17 in Acrobatics, Stealth and Thievery, +13 in Bluff, Intimidate, and Streetwise, very hard-hitting swashbuckling type Rogue. I went with extremely basic equipment (just +2 Lvl 6 Magic Dagger, Leather Armor, and Amulet of Protection), and the only thing I didn't take from the original Player's Handbook was Weapon Expertise to get you an additional +1 to hit with light-bladed weapons.

Your thoughts?

susan on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll share my next character for my LGS' D&D night for feedback and suggestions; level 13 Minotaur Life Warden.

I'm looking to make him focus on drawing the attention of lots of enemies and healing/protecting his allies. So probably lots of burst attacks that prevent enemies from getting away from me or attacking others, and buffs to allies. Haven't played a Warden before so I'm not familiar with the 'good' evocations but I'm somewhat experienced with fighters.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i will make you a swashbuckler rogue build that will eat everyone if rouge is what you want later today, i would like to point out with the build i have posted that using clever strike you could just stand behind the tank and still deal sneak attack dmg every round. if you are going for a max damage rouge dont go for daggers and there's almost no reason to duel wield with that class unless you are taking two-fisted shooter for some reason.

o will you be recieving the standard magic items with the level or are you starting base?

nvm checked your sheet again.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    here ya go started with lvl 10-9-8 items and level appropriate money, this character will kill everyone.

with the gear his sneak attack is d(whatever)+8+ 2d8 +5 he has +15 to hit, and deals sneak attack if the creature is alone, or has one of your allies adjacent regardless of flanking.

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1792

i would agree that it looks like you could use a healer of some sort in there.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As it turns out I've been uninvited from the group.

Long story.

I'll keep those characters in hand if the game changes. But really I think its for the best. 8 players is really too big.

If I could get hold of 4 peeps I'd be great. Maybe it's time to give an online skype game a go again now that my nights are free and stable.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry to hear that :( . Perhaps there will be someone on the Boards who will be starting up a new PbP soon; it's not the same thing of course, but it's still pretty darn good.

susan on