Options

Nvidia drivers making me rage.

Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
Alright guys, I need your help.

Every time I try and install the latest nVidia drivers on my pc, it'll get to the point where to finalize installation it has to reboot the system, but as soon as it loads back into windows my monitor will go into standby mode. This usually happens after the win7 logo appears; the screen goes black and then 'no signal'. I've basically tried every combination of install I can think of in win7 normally and in safe mode. I've tried a fresh install, an upgrade, a straight installation over, everything.

To make things even more strange and bizarre, the last time I attempted a driver update, each consecutive restart would bring me further and further into windows, the winning move was me being able to open the nVidia control panel and from then on it seemed to work (as far as I can tell).

This time however, no dice at all, back to the original problem I said. Luckily I had a restore point before I went fiddling.

I'm running Win7 Pro
Core2Duo E8600
8800 GTS ~ 640mb (win7 says it’s got 2gb on it?) currently with 196.21 drivers.


One final thing, even though the 196.21 drivers seem to 'work' at the moment, if I was to uninstall them and reinstall them, I would end up in this situation as well. I'm seriously fucking confused.

demomansig.jpg
Duck'n'Cover on

Posts

  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nvidia drivers have some serious weird Hoo-Doo involved with them these days. Installation is just a pain considering how much crap is usually left behind. When you say 'Fresh Install' - Do you mean a fresh install of your Operating System? If you haven't, try uninstalling and then running a driver sweeper program.

    There's a fairly thorough guide about this that you can find here on the EVGA forums. That guide should work out even if you don't have an EVGA card. If you want to ignore step 0 and the part about "NVIDIA_Display_theGryphon" filters in step 5, you'll probably be fine.

    You should be able to do the downloading and installation of driver sweeper in Safe Mode, if it comes to that.

    If you really get up the creek with the latest stuff, I highly recommend the 186.18 or 186.16 drivers. Those things were rock solid. Hope it works out for you.

    TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nvidia drivers have some serious weird Hoo-Doo involved with them these days. Installation is just a pain considering how much crap is usually left behind. When you say 'Fresh Install' - Do you mean a fresh install of your Operating System? If you haven't, try uninstalling and then running a driver sweeper program.

    There's a fairly thorough guide about this that you can find here on the EVGA forums. That guide should work out even if you don't have an EVGA card. If you want to ignore step 0 and the part about "NVIDIA_Display_theGryphon" filters in step 5, you'll probably be fine.

    You should be able to do the downloading and installation of driver sweeper in Safe Mode, if it comes to that.

    If you really get up the creek with the latest stuff, I highly recommend the 186.18 or 186.16 drivers. Those things were rock solid. Hope it works out for you.

    When i said fresh install i meant that i used driver cleaner to remove them completely. I'd rather not have to reinstall my OS simply to update my vidja drivers, thats just way too much hassle for the end result.

    Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You need to make sure the chicken blood drips directly on the video card when you install the drivers. If you miss you have to burn sage and start over.

    PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow, I didn't know nVidia drivers were so bad these days. Never had a problem during my nVidia period. And to think you can install ATI drivers over the old ones without so much as a reboot. Things do change, sometimes.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And to think you can install ATI drivers over the old ones without so much as a reboot.

    Really? You don't have to do that driver cleaner malarkey any more?

    surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And to think you can install ATI drivers over the old ones without so much as a reboot.

    Really? You don't have to do that driver cleaner malarkey any more?

    Correct, the ATI package you download from their site will update the needed files and restart the services. If everything works properly the screen might flicker or go black for a moment as the drivers/services are restarted with the updated files.

    Now ATI also uses XML profiles to tell the cards how to best run for specific games. ATI gets these out pretty fast as well. The plan is that we should be able to just download the profiles when we buy a new game. The profile updates are supposed to be released within 24 hours of the game release.

    ATI did a great job last generation, this gen they're kicking all kinds of ass.

    Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And to think you can install ATI drivers over the old ones without so much as a reboot.

    Really? You don't have to do that driver cleaner malarkey any more?

    I've been using ATI cards for over 5 years and I've never had to do that.

    General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It even does the "Dootoo" -> "TooDoo" noises that Windows makes when you unplug and plugs a device.
    I don't know if it works so well on XP, though, might be a Vista/7 thing (considering the driver model changed after XP).

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Actually, speaking of ATi...

    The last ATi card I owned was an X1900XT, so I am way out of the loop. Does ATi's control center allow program-specific settings? (FSAA, force sync, etc.) I could have sworn they didn't, which kind of made me stick with Nvidia, but if it weren't for that, I'd like to make the change...

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't say I've had any trouble updating Nvidia drivers in my few years of having an 8800GT. Usually don't even bother uninstalling the previous drivers before applying the new one.

    Dehumanized on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had a similar problem with nvidia drivers and windows 7 when I still had my 320 mb GTS. They would work fine when just installed, but one restart later I was left staring at a black screen. The only solution I could find was to boot into safe mode, wipe the drivers and roll back to something that worked. Unfortunately I can't remember what the driver numbers were, but they're probably well out of date by now anyway.

    altid on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You have encouraged me to update my drivers for the first time in many moons. Sure enough, installation failed. God damnit ATI

    surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't say I've had any trouble updating Nvidia drivers in my few years of having an 8800GT. Usually don't even bother uninstalling the previous drivers before applying the new one.
    Count yourself very lucky. I'm going to have one more stab at it this afternoon before I stop forever in fear that my face will be stuck with the 'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-" expression on it.

    @Stormwatcher Honestly man, until I moved to 7, I’ve never had issues with nVidia at all, hell I’ve never had issues this whacky or temperamental before. Back in the day they were fantastic but this gen I really can’t explain how useless they’ve become. Suffice to say, I’m going to try out ATI again next upgrade.

    Altid, can I hug you? I’m so glad I’m not the only one with this problem.

    Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The last ATi card I owned was an X1900XT, so I am way out of the loop. Does ATi's control center allow program-specific settings? (FSAA, force sync, etc.) I could have sworn they didn't, which kind of made me stick with Nvidia, but if it weren't for that, I'd like to make the change...

    I still haven't found a way to accomplish this in the ATI driver control pane. The only way to set profiles to assign a hotkey to this profile and enable it that way. Well I can still set the slider manually, if a application doesn't have ingame AA settings.

    Nvidias driver control panel has a very nice profile pane. They slimmed it down during a certain driver revision and it is very usable now. (used to be very confusing in the WinXP days when you had a "profile of a profile" option. Now its "select horse and then select your pistol - I mean select program and drag the sliders till your satisfaction. Done.)

    Personally I don't had a problem with the drivers of both companies.

    To the OP problem: Maybe the refresh rate or resolution is set to something your screen doesn't support.

    First solution: Before installing the new drivers install a vnc service and get a second PC, then remote control the first PC after the screen went blank. See if you can connect and then set the desired options back to normal.

    Second guess: Install a driver for your screen (basically its just a *.inf file with the list of correct resolution, refresh rates). The CD which came with your screen should be sufficient. Maybe the driver will then pick the correct settings after reboot.

    Dratatoo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    The last ATi card I owned was an X1900XT, so I am way out of the loop. Does ATi's control center allow program-specific settings? (FSAA, force sync, etc.) I could have sworn they didn't, which kind of made me stick with Nvidia, but if it weren't for that, I'd like to make the change...

    I still haven't found a way to accomplish this in the ATI driver control pane. The only way to set profiles to assign a hotkey to this profile and enable it that way. Well I can still set the slider manually, if a application doesn't have ingame AA settings.

    Nvidias driver control panel has a very nice profile pane. They slimmed it down during a certain driver revision and it is very usable now. (used to be very confusing in the WinXP days when you had a "profile of a profile" option. Now its "select horse and then select your pistol - I mean select program and drag the sliders till your satisfaction. Done.)

    Personally I don't had a problem with the drivers of both companies.

    To the OP problem: Maybe the refresh rate or resolution is set to something your screen doesn't support.

    First solution: Before installing the new drivers install a vnc service and get a second PC, then remote control the first PC after the screen went blank. See if you can connect and then set the desired options back to normal.

    Second guess: Install a driver for your screen (basically its just a *.inf file with the list of correct resolution, refresh rates). The CD which came with your screen should be sufficient. Maybe the driver will then pick the correct settings after reboot.

    The hotkey profiles work really well on ATI. And you can make a profile then assign a game to be started when you change to that profile. On top of that, you can create a shortcut for the profile. So it's like an autoswitching profile whenever you start that game.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't use an NVidia driver made after around October because they disabled dual-view for some silly reason. And no third party program that I can find will do it in Vista for games. My nephew watches me on the big screen TV instead of crowding around the monitor and getting greasy finger prints on it.

    bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've talked to others, and the consensus among the EQ2 players I know is that there's a problem with the current series of 197.xx drivers with Windows 7. I've been noticing sever system (not just game) crashes since switching to those drivers myself, something I haven't had problems with in a very long time.

    It was starting to make me doubt if my video card itself was going bad.

    I've since dropped back to 196.21 (after doing a complete uninstall and using Driver Cleaner), although it's a little soon to tell if regressing the drivers solved the problem (the crashes, while bad, weren't frequent or reproducable enough to tell, only time).

    If you're on Windows 7, I'd consider rolling back the drivers out of the 197 series.

    darkgrue on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    darkgrue wrote: »
    I've talked to others, and the consensus among the EQ2 players I know is that there's a problem with the current series of 197.xx drivers with Windows 7. I've been noticing sever system (not just game) crashes since switching to those drivers myself, something I haven't had problems with in a very long time.

    It was starting to make me doubt if my video card itself was going bad.

    I've since dropped back to 196.21 (after doing a complete uninstall and using Driver Cleaner), although it's a little soon to tell if regressing the drivers solved the problem (the crashes, while bad, weren't frequent or reproducable enough to tell, only time).

    If you're on Windows 7, I'd consider rolling back the drivers out of the 197 series.

    This is a real 'Your Mileage May Vary' situation, though. I'm running on Windows 7 and the 197.13 drivers are the best and most stable set I've used since the 186.18 days. And this is after trying the 196.XX drivers, which continuously gave me problems across the board (system crashes, no downclocking, 'recovered from a serious error' issues, and so forth). It seems unfortunately almost random which drivers work best for which people.

    Search out what might work best, but just be sure to avoid the 196.75 drivers entirely. Even Nvidia themselves have advised customers not to use those drivers.

    TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Search out what might work best, but just be sure to avoid the 196.75 drivers entirely. Even Nvidia themselves have advised customers not to use those drivers.

    ...I just checked, and apparently I am using those drivers.

    I'd be harsher on myself for this oversight, but then again, Nvidia did release these drivers.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have no idea what's Nvidia's driver naming scheme.
    ATI's is so simple and functional. 10.3 means 2010, march. There you go, now you always know what driver it is.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The shortcuts solution sounds decent, but I've been spoiled by game-activated settings. Plus, I don't like having my desktop cluttered with lots of shortcuts.

    Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm picky. I haven't given up on ATi, not by a long shot, but I still need figure out what would be an step up from two 8800GTs (which, I have to admit, are pretty good in SLI). Not to mention I wanted to upgrade from a core duo to a quad core.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The shortcuts solution sounds decent, but I've been spoiled by game-activated settings. Plus, I don't like having my desktop cluttered with lots of shortcuts.

    Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm picky. I haven't given up on ATi, not by a long shot, but I still need figure out what would be an step up from two 8800GTs (which, I have to admit, are pretty good in SLI). Not to mention I wanted to upgrade from a core duo to a quad core.

    But you need a shortcut to start the game anyway.
    Unless you open file manager and double click the .exe everytime

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The shortcuts solution sounds decent, but I've been spoiled by game-activated settings. Plus, I don't like having my desktop cluttered with lots of shortcuts.

    Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm picky. I haven't given up on ATi, not by a long shot, but I still need figure out what would be an step up from two 8800GTs (which, I have to admit, are pretty good in SLI). Not to mention I wanted to upgrade from a core duo to a quad core.

    But you need a shortcut to start the game anyway.
    Unless you open file manager and double click the .exe everytime

    Actually, I don't.

    A lot of my games still rely on discs (I play many older games), so an autorun menu handles that.

    Also, I use the Game Explorer in Windows 7 if that doesn't happen, because I find it aesthetically pleasing. Then again, you could probably modify the shortcuts in that to use the ATi things. I do not like the hotkey system, because a lot of the settings are very much program specific, and there's not one that applies to many different games for me personally.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The shortcuts solution sounds decent, but I've been spoiled by game-activated settings. Plus, I don't like having my desktop cluttered with lots of shortcuts.

    Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm picky. I haven't given up on ATi, not by a long shot, but I still need figure out what would be an step up from two 8800GTs (which, I have to admit, are pretty good in SLI). Not to mention I wanted to upgrade from a core duo to a quad core.

    But you need a shortcut to start the game anyway.
    Unless you open file manager and double click the .exe everytime

    Actually, I don't.

    A lot of my games still rely on discs (I play many older games), so an autorun menu handles that.

    Also, I use the Game Explorer in Windows 7 if that doesn't happen, because I find it aesthetically pleasing. Then again, you could probably modify the shortcuts in that to use the ATi things. I do not like the hotkey system, because a lot of the settings are very much program specific, and there's not one that applies to many different games for me personally.

    you can, you know, create a folder and drop the shortcuts in it. I also play a lot of old games, and make a point of cracking them when possible, because I hate swapping disks.
    Anyway, ATI added downloadable game profiles, with specific game enhancements. Dunno if it's the same thing as per-game user settings.

    ATI has really good hardware and software lately, it would be a waste to not get one of their cards because of the profiles.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The shortcuts solution sounds decent, but I've been spoiled by game-activated settings. Plus, I don't like having my desktop cluttered with lots of shortcuts.

    Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm picky. I haven't given up on ATi, not by a long shot, but I still need figure out what would be an step up from two 8800GTs (which, I have to admit, are pretty good in SLI). Not to mention I wanted to upgrade from a core duo to a quad core.

    But you need a shortcut to start the game anyway.
    Unless you open file manager and double click the .exe everytime

    Actually, I don't.

    A lot of my games still rely on discs (I play many older games), so an autorun menu handles that.

    Also, I use the Game Explorer in Windows 7 if that doesn't happen, because I find it aesthetically pleasing. Then again, you could probably modify the shortcuts in that to use the ATi things. I do not like the hotkey system, because a lot of the settings are very much program specific, and there's not one that applies to many different games for me personally.

    you can, you know, create a folder and drop the shortcuts in it. I also play a lot of old games, and make a point of cracking them when possible, because I hate swapping disks.
    Anyway, ATI added downloadable game profiles, with specific game enhancements. Dunno if it's the same thing as per-game user settings.

    ATI has really good hardware and software lately, it would be a waste to not get one of their cards because of the profiles.

    Except I already have that, since I use the WGE. So I don't need, you know, a folder with shortcuts in it. I don't bother "Cracking" games, in part because I'm highly suspicious of a lot of cracked executables. Though the WGEE is pretty flexible, you might still be able to make the necessary command prompt changes.

    Can you change the downloadable game profiles? That makes a big difference.

    Don't get me wrong, I'd like to switch back to ATi, but first, I need to find something that would be an upgrade within my budget. That's true for buying a new Nvidia card as well (though I think I'd save a lot of money with ATi).

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, man, it's your loss, that's a pretty silly reason to not get a piece of hardware.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, man, it's your loss, that's a pretty silly reason to not get a piece of hardware.

    Not knowing which piece of hardware to get and whether or not its in my budget is a silly reason?

    Because I've repeatedly said that's the primary reason. The 3D specific settings is something I've already said I think I could overcome, I'm just not sure.

    If it is, my loss, I guess. Money is tight right now.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, man, it's your loss, that's a pretty silly reason to not get a piece of hardware.

    Not knowing which piece of hardware to get and whether or not its in my budget is a silly reason?

    Because I've repeatedly said that's the primary reason. The 3D specific settings is something I've already said I think I could overcome, I'm just not sure.

    If it is, my loss, I guess. Money is tight right now.

    Also, I think Nvidia's recent drivers have screwed up multiple monitor display...the colors are all messed up, much to my annoyance. Lovely. Better fix that first.

    I meant that worrying about shortcuts is a bad reason not to get the best Bang/Buck product.
    Of course money is a great reason to not buy things.

    edit: being flat broke I do that all the time.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As I already said, I think there's a decent chance I can get around the shortcut problem.

    But--to kick the dead horse--I don't know what a good replacement for my 8800GT SLI would be, and even then, I'm not sure if I have enough money to make that leap (especially if I want a new CPU).

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Check some 5770 benchmarks...

    And depending on your current CPU, the video card would be a more efficient and cheaper upgrade.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think my 8800GT SLI are giving me more bang for my buck than my CPU (a 3.0 ghz Core 2 Duo).

    Plus, upgrading my CPU to a quad core of the same speed will very likely be cheaper. Though I'd be surprised if a single 5770 would give me better benchmarks than two 8800GT together. Maybe I'm getting the number models confused.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, you'd have to check some benchmarks...

    For your CPU upgrade to be an actual upgrade, you'd have to get this CPU or better. A C2Q with less Clock than your current CPU would be a downgrade for many, many current games.
    That's $320 on Newegg. Core iX series CPU would require that you also buy a new motherboard.

    A single Radeon HD5850 is a hell lot faster than your 2 8800s, and it costs $310 on newegg. You would get a much bigger performance gain on all current games, and also have access to DX11, eyefinity and stuff like that.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As I already said, I was going to upgrade to a quad core of the same speed (3.0). That's pretty much the only one I can get, and I've seen it on sale for about $300 in some places. Quad core games seem much more common than they were two years ago (when people were already yelling in my ears about my need to get aboard the quad core train, ironically enough).

    I won't get a boost in any of my older games, but right now, I'm pretty confident that my CPU is a bigger bottleneck than my GPU for the newer games I play presently.

    Still, a HD850 is a pretty attractive option. DirectX 11 support is still in its infancy, last I checked. I'll have to see if I have enough space in my case also.

    EDIT: In retrospect, despite years of shouting from the advocates, Quad Core support hasn't really gone very far either. I suppose I should just consider it as not really needing an upgrade that badly anyway (8800GT SLI get through things pretty well, two years later).

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, I'm just trying to help, but I would still bet that you'd get a much bigger frame rate improvement on most games with that delicious HD5850. Sure, GTAIV would love those extra 2 cores, and Dorfortress. But most other current games would go farther with the Radeon

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, that's probably true about any video card upgrade (though the way things look, ATi gets you a lot more bang for your buck).

    As it stands, I'm getting more frames than I know what to do with with my current GPU setup (with the exception of Crysis and Crysis Warhead, which I'm not terribly fond of). The Quad Core is attractive considering the video conversion I do, but it's an expensive measure just to not have to be as patient. Thinking about it, that's a nice problem to have, heh. Of course, I don't really run games at 1080p that often, and the two games that I really enjoy that do suffer from some slow down are probably FSX (which I know uses quad core) and Arma 2, which I'm not clear on, but unlike FSX, will benefit more from a better GPU.


    EDIT: Also, Napoleon Total War--but only in naval battles, at full capacity, but I think those might be engine limitations, heh.

    I'm not sure an HD5850 would fit either. I'd have to do some measurements. It's a good place to start though, assuming it does fit. Very reasonably priced.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No, you're right, Arma2 loves CPU.

    And the size thing is indeed important. New cards are humongous.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tell me about it. I got thick, robust power cables for my two cards, but the bad thing about that is they don't bend easily. So I loose some space, practically speaking, because of my hard disc bin. The maximum practical space of any card is going to be about two inches more than EVGA 8800GT cards. Tops.

    I think Nvidia's big cards are particularly bad about that. ATi's card have been getting smaller faster (though those might not be the ones I need).

    Arma 2 uses quad-core? I wasn't entirely clear on that (there are times--mostly when there's a lot of stuff going on) when my framerate chokes down, so it makes sense.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alabaster Slim (AKA Suds on this forum) is an avid Arma2 player, he hangs around with those ShakTac guys, and they told me it loooooves some CPU. It's very shittily coded, and there are billions of physics and AI stuff going on all the time.

    You should hunt for some benchmarks, compare the jump from C2D 3GHz (I have that same CPU) to C2Q 3GHz, and then the jump from 8800GT SLI to a 5850. On Tom's Hardware charts, the 5850 is about 20% faster than the dual 8800s, I think.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
Sign In or Register to comment.