As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

But then [Mass Effect] began to smell my greatness!

• Options
    mister tuxedomister tuxedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Let the ironic Talimancing begin.

Finnith, Pabst AKA Pabst Blue Ribbon is a blue collar cheap beer like Milwaukee's Best that hipsters ironically drink. They've ironically drunk so much of it Pabst was able to raise its price. Hipsters ruin everything.

Heh. Their own attempt to be ironic resulted in more irony that they did not intend.

I am still trying to convince people on the official forums. One claims that ME1's combat furthered the game's artistic value. The other claims to have finished ME2 with only Incinerate.
    I feel very worried when I venture onto the official threads. Only the the jack and thane threads bring me any solace at night.

mister tuxedo on
    Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment/ PO Box 20068/ 104 60 Stockholm/ Sweden
    Send them a Pair of Running Shoes. Used or Otherwise. Or a letter, but let's not be formulaic. Send them a picture of trainers, too. Or a painting. Or money. Whatever.
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Glipher wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Did Kasumi's loyalty mission for the first time last night. It was entertaining.

Unfortunately, I seem to have failed to pick up the SMG.
    I missed it on my first time through too. It's on the same table as the Graybox, which I didn't expect considering how spaced out all the items in the room were.

I nearly missed it the first time, only got it after re-loading the vault fight scene once I realised I missed it.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Now that my 360 is freshly back from the repair center I thought I'd do my insanity/carry-over-to-ME3 run. I imported my "canon" character from ME1 again for this purpose and...I...can't do it. I'm only on the Garrus recruitment mission and everything refuses to die ever. Horizon on hardcore was tricky but doable. Assuming I even get that far on insanity...

Playing as soldier. My first time through with this class was easy enough. My renshep was infiltrator and very fun. Now, I've read some reports that indicate if you import a character you've finished the game with, pulling your levels, etc, the game sets your enemies to balance. So you're essentially fighting level 30 enemies from the start. Other reports indicate that on insanity everything is as hard as it's ever going to be at the beginning so you might as well import an ME2 save for benefit of having your skills and weapons. Assuming the latter is true, wouldn't I be better off important my infiltrator so I can Widow everything right from the beginning? I'd like to get the insanity achievement, but at my current rate that doesn't seem likely.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So there hasn't been a peep out of Bioware since Kasumi was released. Are there more plans for DLC or is it early enough to make a canon run?

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Assuming the latter is true

It's not.

(Reimport the ME1 save)

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But it's really hard! Why am I not better at vidja games!

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But it's really hard! Why am I not better at vidja games!

NG+ Insanity is about as insane as it gets. You're starting at level 30, but you have no upgrades. And that's the part that hurts. If that's too much for you...go reimport, and save some dents in the wall. I know my frustration limits, so I've just played around slightly with it.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Enemy scaling makes NG+ Insanity more difficult than a fresh Insanity. The enemies will basically act like you've spent an entire game accumulating +50% worth of damage and protection upgrades that you do not have.

Plus you miss out on the import bonuses. Which is weird. And starting from level 1-5 instead of 30 in my mind isn't exactly a bad thing. Progression is fun.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quick, someone convince me why I should get ME2 and not a pair of prescription sunglasses.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Quick, someone convince me why I should get ME2 and not a pair of prescription sunglasses.

Prescription sunglasses don't include Mordin.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You'd have to really like sunglasses for that to be a genuinely tough call. I mean maybe while driving into the sun on a bright day or something.

ME2 is one of the finest specimen gaming has spawned.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I live in Arizona and rarely use sunglasses. I am, however, on my sixth ME2 play-through.

The Big Levinsky on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You'd have to really like sunglasses for that to be a genuinely tough call. I mean maybe while driving into the sun on a bright day or something.

I have to drive my brother west at 5 o'clock on an uphill bridge, that mess is like a 20 minute laser to my corneas.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I have to drive my brother west at 5 o'clock on an uphill bridge, that mess is like a 20 minute laser to my corneas.

Sounds like either your bro, or whoever makes you drive him owes you some sunglasses, or a copy of ME2 for being a good brother.

The Big Levinsky on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do the glasses look like Pancake's goggles? If they don't, not worth it.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know, it's odd, but Jack's alt costume is so good it makes want to use her more often.

Also, because using her as the biotic in the suicide mission is really, really satisfying at the end.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So there hasn't been a peep out of Bioware since Kasumi was released. Are there more plans for DLC or is it early enough to make a canon run?

I heard a rumbling over at 360achievements.org that there might be Liara DLC-type stuff on the PC version, but who knows.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i'd expect more DLC. i'm not doing my canon run until a month before ME3. helps the decisions to be fresher, anyway. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god, I did it again. I started over.

I hate this game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Goggleshep and the Quest for the Perfect Pancake

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Juc wrote: »

The illusive man isn't 90 stories tall and watching you completing the game, it's just a bug.

are there stories behind the garrus loyalty ghosting effect and the jacob loyalty invisibility? :winky:

I'm pretty sure that what you're talking about for garrus is the issue I'm thinking of, and that's a hole in a skybox. I can't recall anything with jacob's loyalty though.

Juc on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Sounds like either your bro, or whoever makes you drive him owes you some sunglasses, or a copy of ME2 for being a good brother.
    How about getting Mass Effect 2 and clip on sunglasses instead of the super expensive prescription kind?

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The illusive man isn't 90 stories tall and watching you completing the game, it's just a bug.

are there stories behind the garrus loyalty ghosting effect and the jacob loyalty invisibility? :winky:

I'm pretty sure that what you're talking about for garrus is the issue I'm thinking of, and that's a hole in a skybox. I can't recall anything with jacob's loyalty though.

well, every time after his loyalty mission, i've reported in to TIM, and shep barely shows up. he's mostly in shadow - i see mebbe his knees and stomach and not much else. jacob and miranda are in darkness too. then the call ends. perhaps it has something to do with the way TIM's shepviewer works, i dunno. i'll take a screenshot next time i do it.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My character's lips are too glossy.

Time to start over.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    if you view the normandy destruction enough times

you start to cheer for the collectors

is this what indoctrination feels like?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    IIRC Indoctrination is like having to take a piss really badly. You're going to have to piss eventually.

Egos on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Goddamnit Pancake. :evil:

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They should really just make it so the dermal healing unit gives you a once per playthrough facial recustomization. The thing is already a ludicrous 50k platinum, and since the face change is a retcon anyway it's not like there would be any kind of story problem.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This entire playthrough as a Vanguard, my go-to weapon has been the SMG.

I kind of feel like maybe I'm doing it wrong.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

which smg? the locust? i don't blame you, it's a great weapon for charging. i used it almost exclusively until i could get my hands on the scimitar. god i love that shotgun :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

If it's the Locust, all is forgiven (even if you ARE doing it wrong). If it's any other SMG,

1167926568946.jpg

Early on you'll need to use it a fair bit to soften hostiles up before you charge in (you ARE being strategic about your charges, right? No charging into the dead center of half a dozen dudes?). By the time you've got Heavy Charge and a decent cooldown though, you should be chargin' it up (but still with an eye to putting yourself close to cover and at the edge of hostiles rather than right into the middle of them).

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've been using whatever I had, but the switch to the second tier SMG you find on Tali's mission was definitely a boost.

I'm extremely reluctant to use charge if I feel like I'm exposing myself by doing it. It's come in very handy during some running battles with limited cover, but it feels like I'm usually better off just throwing up a barrier instead of charging out of cover.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Goddamnit Pancake. :evil:

What? It's the game's fault.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've been using whatever I had, but the switch to the second tier SMG you find on Tali's mission was definitely a boost.

I'm extremely reluctant to use charge if I feel like I'm exposing myself by doing it. It's come in very handy during some running battles with limited cover, but it feels like I'm usually better off just throwing up a barrier instead of charging out of cover.

What? A barrier? You get as big a boost from a level 4 barrier as you do from a heavy charge, and the charge's cooldown is up in 6 seconds or less; contrast that to 12 seconds (and no way to reduce it via your passive power). Shield boosting powers just get in the way of your much better charge power. You just need to get into the knack of hitting hostiles on their flanks and close to cover. Charge, nail one or two, duck into cover, repeat.

Edit: Part of what makes Vanguard so exciting is that it's high risk, high reward. If you play it right, you can blitz through a section faster than any other class. If you play it not-so-right, you'll die. (On insanity you'll die loads regardless, until you figure out that the cover that looks like cover is actually exposed to those other guys you can't see). If you play it wrong, it's like an Engineer without the combat drone. Pretty poor.

You have to let go of the need to stay safe, or you're not going to enjoy the class properly. If this is still early, it's understandable, but every point should go first to Heavy Charge, and after to Assault Mastery->Champion. Only after that should you start messing around with your other powers (and after that I usually max incendiary so I can get Inferno ammo. AoE crowd control is very useful to a Vanguard).

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

do you mean to say you did not take reave as your bonus power?
    1167926568946.jpg

also, one time i was doing zaeed's loyalty mission

i stripped the YMIR of its defenses

hit it with a throw, it does that shoulder droop thingy

AND ZAEED COMES OUT OF NOWHERE AND IMMEDIATELY HEADSHOTS IT 8-)

BIG FUCKING MUSHROOM CLOUD and it was totally unexpected

i was all ZAEED YOU ARE ONE COOL SON OF A BITCH

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Orca wrote: »

What? A barrier? You get as big a boost from a level 4 barrier as you do from a heavy charge, and the charge's cooldown is up in 6 seconds or less; contrast that to 12 seconds (and no way to reduce it via your passive power). Shield boosting powers just get in the way of your much better charge power. You just need to get into the knack of hitting hostiles on their flanks and close to cover. Charge, nail one or two, duck into cover, repeat.
    Barrier has the advantage of being usable without leaving cover.

I've gotten gunshy after a number of mission restarts due to charges I thought were good ideas (one visible enemy, no armor/shields) that ended with me being mobbed to death.

I don't think it helps that the cover system apparently loves to throw me against things that don't actually provide cover.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    [...]AND ZAEED COMES OUT OF NOWHERE AND IMMEDIATELY HEADSHOTS IT 8-)

BIG FUCKING MUSHROOM CLOUD and it was totally unexpected

i was all ZAEED YOU ARE ONE COOL SON OF A BITCH

He's a big goddamn hero is what he is.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Orca on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    envoy1 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the sentinel. There is no better de-buffer in the game. In fact my next run will probably be a sentinel disaster run where I get legion as quickly as possible then have him for all possible recruitment and loyalty quests. I don't want to start messing with my coalesced.ini file to unlock him earlier.

its only a single line that gets changed, the word Geth gets changed to Leading.

And it makes no discernable difference ingame.

Dhalphir on