As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breath of Death VII: Dem bones, Dem bones (UPDATE: Bugfix patch now available on XBL)

1141516171820»

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gamesutra are good people, I love em. Congratulations.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    that kotaku comment from the guy who sold "maybe ten copies" of his game is probably the funniest case of sour grapes I've ever read

Rent on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They've got haters?!

You guys are popular enough to have haters?!

*sniff* They grow up so fast!

Sipex on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    that kotaku comment from the guy who sold "maybe ten copies" of his game is probably the funniest case of sour grapes I've ever read

Incidentally, in the post mortem we address the kind of "strategy" he said he employed for his game..

Before we started development, we made a point out of maintaining as small and conservative budget as we possibly could and focusing our efforts on making a great game and getting the word out... The fact is, indie games can some times be a gamble and you might end up with a flop that sells fewer than a thousand copies (as is true for many, many XBLIG games as an example).

What I find interesting is that person says he paid himself a salary. That's just not how to go about it, IMO, when you're a new indie dev just starting out. That's something to consider, IMO, after you've expanded into a much, much larger operation... and even then perhaps not. RBD and myself didn't consider ourselves as being paid salaries, we just worked our assess off and minimized budget...

slash000 on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And Kotaku's usual journalistic standards are in evidence:
    Amid Boyd's frank analysis of what went right and wrong is the astounding report that two thirds of the people who downloaded the game for free then ponied up the asking price. Impressive.

Downloading a demo is not the same as "downloading the game for free".

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    And Kotaku's usual journalistic standards are in evidence:
    Amid Boyd's frank analysis of what went right and wrong is the astounding report that two thirds of the people who downloaded the game for free then ponied up the asking price. Impressive.

Downloading a demo is not the same as "downloading the game for free".

I think he knows what occurs but just worded it weirdly. I think he really meant to draw attention on the 66% conversion rate more than anything.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I find it kinda funny that Japan, of all places, has a 0% share of the sales to date. :) (I'm aware that might be a language issue)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I find it kinda funny that Japan, of all places, has a 0% share of the sales to date. :) (I'm aware that might be a language issue)

Yeah, I know. We were kind of hoping for a little bit better response there (only been a few hundred sales there iirc), but to be honest, a lot of the fun is in the writing and unless you speak English fluently it loses a lot of charm.

The other thing is that the Xbox 360 is not a very popular console in Japan, and among the small niche of 360 owners there, very few of those dig into XBLIG. So it's kind of like a tiny market within a tiny market that doesn't get the parody aspect of the game.

We're kind of considering translating into Japanese for the next game but it's a bit up in the air for a variety of reasons.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    slash000 wrote: »

Yeah, I know. We were kind of hoping for a little bit better response there (only been a few hundred sales there iirc), but to be honest, a lot of the fun is in the writing and unless you speak English fluently it loses a lot of charm.

The other thing is that the Xbox 360 is not a very popular console in Japan, and among the small niche of 360 owners there, very few of those dig into XBLIG. So it's kind of like a tiny market within a tiny market that doesn't get the parody aspect of the game.

We're kind of considering translating into Japanese for the next game but it's a bit up in the air for a variety of reasons.

Grab a weeaboo who can work the Japanese Pokemon theme song parody part and other things :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I just checked our website traffic and we've gotten over 3,000 unique user hits today, no doubt thanks to the link in the kotaku article. That's drastically more traffic than the site has ever gotten (usually we're in the low hundreds a day, with the occasional spike to 500-1000/day).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah i just saw the article, congrats dudes.

Dixon on
  • Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I picked this up last night before the Kotaku article went up. I actually saw the forum thread here and went home and bought it.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet; the wife was making me do stuff yesterday. Still, I'm glad I could help you guys out!

JohnnyToxxic on
    Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yesterday sales data:

364 sales
    256 trials
    142% Conversation Rate

That's a big boost from our recent sales (due to how long the game has been out, Halo: Reach's release, and generally low September sales, we've been averaging around 60-70/day).

Also, Escapist picked up the story:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103836-1-Xbox-Live-Indie-RPG-Successfully-Sells-30K

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Escapist plugged the upcoming game for you, as well. Good publicity!

Darian on
  • Options
    BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good game! I finally got around to buying my copy as well, and trying it out, and both myself and the fiance were having fun reading the text as I played.

Sadly, this game's making me want to make my own XNA title now, even if only to improve on my C# skills :(

Birudojin on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    grats on the 30k sales & the new influx from the media coverage. you guys earned it.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    XalteraxXalterax Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Go google 'breath of death VII post mortem' that article has bled out into everywhere on the internet. RPGGamer picked it up, RPGfan has it in their forums...

Robert - did you do a press release on that thing, or are that many press people watching zeboyd.com now for the CSTW release announcement?

Lol!

Xalterax on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Xalterax wrote: »
    Go google 'breath of death VII post mortem' that article has bled out into everywhere on the internet. RPGGamer picked it up, RPGfan has it in their forums...

Robert - did you do a press release on that thing, or are that many press people watching zeboyd.com now for the CSTW release announcement?

Lol!

I think the reason this story is spreading is because it's really interesting to see how website coverage and reviews affect indie game sales. You know, the people writing articles and reviews, they say something nice about a game, and maybe they feel sometimes like those words vanish into the ether. But here's a nice story and a clean graph with supporting data that tells those very same people who write these articles that hey, you really are making a difference, and the people who made this game appreciate it.

Also I think the analysis of pros/cons of the game and of the indie scene in general is something that there really isn't much information available out there in the gaming media, so there's that too.

And yeah I think having some nice graphs to help digest the information helps. People like graphs!

Edit: the post in the RPGFan forums was no accident... the thread was started by Robert :P He's been a community member at RPGfan for a long time actually.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't

I DEMAND pie charts slash

DEMAND THEM!

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't

DEMAND THEM!

PIEEEE CHAAARTT
    BOD7salesRegions.png

I accidentally misspelled Singapore there unfortunately :P

slash000 on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy crap, Germany outbought Canada. I am ashamed in my Canadian brethren.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Holy crap, Germany outbought Canada. I am ashamed in my Canadian brethren.

No, don't worry, the colors and order are a little funny, but Canada is 8% of sales and Germany is 2%. The UK is the 12% one.

Be not ashamed of your Canadian brethren! :P

slash000 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any news on this possibly going onto Steam?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Any news on this possibly going onto Steam?

There will be some news about our PC plans soon, but right now it's looking pretty good as far as BODVII and Cthulhu Saves the World coming to PC.

slash000 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have my fingers crossed =)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    *applause*

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Are you submitting that to the pumpkin-carving contest on the boards?

Darian on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hello chaps, apparently EDGE think that Breath of Death VII is one of the top 20 indie Xbox games, they say:

"Breath of death isn't as cloyingly ironic as its title and art style suggest. While Zeboyd Entertainment has set out to parody the earnest 16bit RPG genre, it's managed to encapsulate most of the elements that made those games so appealing in the first place.

Playing as a skeletal protagonist, you're thrown into a surprisingly roomy adventure filled with genre staples such as an overworld map, bone-rattling dungeons and NPC-clogged towns to explore. The levelling curve is brisk but enthralling, and combat, while presented in a simple Dragon Quest style, is deep and tactical. Random encounters are limited, dialogue and exposition are fairly charming, and there's more adventuring to be had here than you might suspect."

I look forward to playing it on PC.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When this finally comes out on PC I will buy 5 copies on Steam. I'm not even kidding.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hello chaps, apparently EDGE think that Breath of Death VII is one of the top 20 indie Xbox games, they say:

"Breath of death isn't as cloyingly ironic as its title and art style suggest. While Zeboyd Entertainment has set out to parody the earnest 16bit RPG genre, it's managed to encapsulate most of the elements that made those games so appealing in the first place.

Playing as a skeletal protagonist, you're thrown into a surprisingly roomly adventure filled with genre staples such as an overworld map, bone-rattling dungeons and NPC-clogged towns to explore. The levelling curve is brisk but enthralling, and combat, while presented in a simple Dragon Quest style, is deep and tactical. Random encounters are limited, dialogue and exposition are fairly charming, and there's more adventuring to be had here than you might suspect."

You beat me to posting it!

Great article in EDGE on XBLIG.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Playing as a skeletal protagonist, you're thrown into a surprisingly roomly adventure filled with genre staples such as an overworld map, bone-rattling dungeons and NPC-clogged towns to explore. The levelling curve is brisk but enthralling, and combat, while presented in a simple Dragon Quest style, is deep and tactical. Random encounters are limited, dialogue and exposition are fairly charming, and there's more adventuring to be had here than you might suspect."

Man that is so cool! Thanks for posting that :) I am going to try and get a copy of the magazine once some bookstores around here manage to import it, but usually importing it is a month behind.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Man that is so cool! Thanks for posting that :) I am going to try and get a copy of the magazine once some bookstores around here manage to import it, but usually importing it is a month behind.

You can buy a copy online if you can't find one elsewhere.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You can buy a copy online if you can't find one elsewhere.

Oh cool, yeah I might just do that :)

In the meantime I have taken some photos that a fellow XBLIG dev and PA poster, Trumpets (who developed Apple Jack) took, and put the BODVII section into a small image that we'll be hosting on our website once RBD gets a chance to put it up:

bodviiedgemag.jpg

slash000 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just think lads, here I was yesterday, all the way across the Atlantic, reading about your game on the can!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Move over summer of arcade, here's the Indie Games Winter Uprising.

Nice work RainbowDespair et al. Already excited for a few of those, and will check out the rest.

Did you try speaking to MS about seeing if they would do a "free X points if you buy all of them" promo?

LewieP on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't

DEMAND THEM!

PIEEEE CHAAARTT
    BOD7salesRegions.png

I accidentally misspelled Singapore there unfortunately :P

It would be interesting to know how many 360s are in the UK. Canadian and US sales seem pretty close to the ratio of 360 sales and I wonder if that holds up for all English speaking countries.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)